Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2001

Advertisement

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: re:intro guitar lick to band america's Ventura highway

:Get the DVD - it shows you how many guitars are used for Ventura Hwy. I think Dewey did the intro on one guitar and Gary later joined in.

: : Is there any way I can find out if its possible to play the intro lick to Ventura highway on acoustic guitar solo have tried and tried to work it out is it humanly possible cheers to whoever deals with this question.

: Now that Janet Jackson has sampled the lick, I would think that someone would answer your question. I have found tab, but I can't make it sound clean without a lot of practice. I have tried a couple of tunings, but that didn't help. I am starting to think that two guitars played at the same time. It could also have been played on a 12 string. I haven't tried that.
============================================
bar bottom 3 strings with index finger on 5th fret
3rd string from bottom 6th fret
2nd string from bottom 7th fret with ring finger
hammer on and pull off - bottom string 7th fret with pinky
hammer on/pull off 2nd string from bottom 7th fret with ring finger
srokes should be upward not downward

: : : Is there any way I can find out if its possible to play the intro lick to Ventura highway on acoustic guitar solo have tried and tried to work it out is it humanly possible cheers to whoever deals with this question.

: : Now that Janet Jackson has sampled the lick, I would think that someone would answer your question. I have found tab, but I can't make it sound clean without a lot of practice. I have tried a couple of tunings, but that didn't help. I am starting to think that two guitars played at the same time. It could also have been played on a 12 string. I haven't tried that.
: ============================================
: bar bottom 3 strings with index finger on 5th fret
: 3rd string from bottom 6th fret
: 2nd string from bottom 7th fret with ring finger
: hammer on and pull off - bottom string 7th fret with pinky
: hammer on/pull off 2nd string from bottom 7th fret with ring finger
: srokes should be upward not downward

The intro does has two guitar tracks. Listen to the intro thru a headset you will noticed that the
two lines are panned seperately. I believe that they were played in harmony to creat the sound of one guitar line. Track and play each line individually. One will be on the "E" string and the other on the "B" sting. Learn one line at a time then try together. There may be some adjustments but you should come close to it, it just takes practice.

Les Paul 25/50 Anniversary - How much is it worth?

Les Paul 25/50 Anniversary - How much is it worth?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Les Paul 25/50 Anniversary - How much is it worth?

Neck and Neck song book

Does anybody know where I can buy the song book from
the Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler CD "Neck and Neck".
I have been told that it is out of print.Perhaps one of their fans or a book owner can tell me who the
publisher is and that will give me a chance to aquire
this classic album.

Masterclasses and Workshops for Classical Guitarrists

Dear friends of the guitar,

as a professional classical guitarrist, I am alwas most interested about the activities and on regularly basis I am teaching and performing at the USA, so if you wish , I let you know further details about it.

All the best and happy practicing!

http://tryit.livesite.com/svenh/

AMP FOR SALE

GUITAR AMP, Line6 AX2 w/ floorboard and coasters, 2 years old in excellent condition. Payed $799.00 for the amp new and $225.00 for the Floorboard new.

$800.00 B/O

Baldwin guitar 1966 strat

can anyone direct me to information on this instrument-thanxs

Re: Baldwin guitar 1966 strat

: can anyone direct me to information on this instrument-thanxs.....HI DAVE,hope this helps,Baldwin guitars were made by Burns Guitars in the U.K.heres a couple of sites that may be of some use.www.excellentleads.com/burns.html
www2.commercenet.co.uk/burns/feedback.cfm
www.mustang-music.com/burns.html

: : can anyone direct me to information on this instrument-thanxs.....HI DAVE,hope this helps,Baldwin guitars were made by Burns Guitars in the U.K.heres a couple of sites that may be of some use.www.excellentleads.com/burns.html
: www2.commercenet.co.uk/burns/feedback.cfm
: www.mustang-music.com/burns.html
Sir I have Under Baldwin Electric Guitar
on E Bay for sale Pics on site
If you have any questionsIm at
c94ssz28@aol.com Thanks
Ps Dark Blue unit with White trim It is a 1966 Vib

: can anyone direct me to information on this instrument-thanxs

Any Luck? I was playing a friends '66 Baldwin, last week, and not I'm trying to find one. I'm loking in England..

Ovation Guitar: How Deep is "Deep"?

I have an Ovation Matrix (later called Applause) that
I'd like to purchase a new hard case for.
The depth of the bowl is 5 1/4". I purchased
a case on Ebay (yeah, I know...) that's
supposed to fit a "deep bowl" Ovation, yet mine
doesn't fit. How can I find a case for this?

mission imposible

does any1 know how to play mission impoible with out courds

Re: mission imposible

: i dont know how to play mission impossible song

Re: mission imposible

: does any1 know how to play mission impoible with out courds
hello

hindi patriotic songs for the indian nation

hindi patriotic songs for the indian nation

This popular thread has been given its own page : hindi patriotic songs for the indian nation

HOHNER MC-07 Do you know it?

Someone is selling me a Hohner Acoustic guitar MC-07, but I can not find any kind of information about that model. Would this be a good guitar?. Could you give me your advice and indications?

HOHNER MC-07 Do you know it?

Someone is selling me a Hohner Acoustic guitar MC-07, but I can not find any kind of information about that model. Would this be a good guitar?. Could you give me your advice and indications?

Re: HOHNER MC-07 Do you know it?

: Someone is selling me a Hohner Acoustic guitar MC-07, but I can not find any kind of information about that model. Would this be a good guitar?. Could you give me your advice and indications?

Re: HOHNER MC-07 Do you know it?

: : Someone is selling me a Hohner Acoustic guitar MC-07, but I can not find any kind of information about that model. Would this be a good guitar?. Could you give me your advice and indications?

yes i have one and it is very good

need technical specs on the Ampeg Gemini VI

Trying to find specs for cute muscian guy I'm trying to impress. Please help. Thanks

NEED YOU HELP GUYS!!!

Hey,
At the end of this week I am gonna buy a new multi-fx processor and I need your opinion on which is better, especially better for a metalhead. I like very angry and low, beefy distortion, and odd offball clean settings. I was looking to buy one of 2 processors:
1.) Toneworks AX100G
2.) Digitech RP300

They are very close to the same but I know you guys can help me better than the other review sites. As seasoned guitar players, which is best for seasoned guitar players?

Re: NEED YOU HELP GUYS!!!

Hey Ben;
Check out a Line 6 Pod,They are PHENOMENAL!! I'm strictly a Tube preamp fan,but these replicate the heavy,harmonic-laden distortion ao you can get the most SINISTER of sounds you can imagine! Gutar Center has em for around $350 with a manufacturer rebate for a hundred bucks ,so you are actually spending $250. They also make a rackmount version which runs a bit more ,but the smaller version sounds just as good. 've been talking to Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult after seeing him a few months ago,and his main rig is set up around the POD,He sounded Awesome the night I saw him and emailed him to ask about his stage rig,he emailed me back and said he swears by the POD!!
Anyway,Good Luck in your quest and keep rockin'!
Bob Malin

Hey Bob,
I dont have 350 though...I only got about 2. But more than just an amp modeler like the POD I was looking for a multi fx processor. I was looking for one that was compact, cheat and was great quality for the buck, but I only have 200, and half it is in gift certs.
Thanks for the info Bob, I have heard the POD's are very awesome and that they can model any amp, but do they also have banks, mods, and downloadable patches???
Thanks for you help man!

Hey Ben;
Check out a Line 6 Pod,They are PHENOMENAL!! I'm strictly a Tube preamp fan,but these replicate the heavy,harmonic-laden distortion so you can get the most SINISTER of sounds you can imagine! Gutar Center has em for around $350 with a manufacturer rebate for a hundred bucks ,so you are actually spending $250. They also make a rackmount version which runs a bit more ,but the smaller version sounds just as good. 've been talking to Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult after seeing him a few months ago,and his main rig is set up around the POD,He sounded Awesome the night I saw him and emailed him to ask about his stage rig,he emailed me back and said he swears by the POD!!
Anyway,Good Luck in your quest and keep rockin'!
Bob Malin

winter project,spanish acoustic,painting

I have just bought a very old spanish acoustic and would really like some information as too what paint should i use im planning on sanding the whole guitar
down first and thats about as far as im good at could
you let me know what paint too use on the front and
back of the body plus i need too paint the frets can
anyone help me.

Re: winter project,spanish acoustic,painting

Actually, painting a guitar is pretty easy if you use the right stuff. First, when you sand it, use a 150 grit Fine sandpaper, you don't want to sand too deep into the wood. When you reach the bare wood, use a 400 grit sandpaper to provide a smooth finish. Use a tack cloth to remove any residue left over. Do you want to stain the guitar or put a color on it. I would not recommend staining it if the grain looks funky or the quality of the wood isn't that great. If you want to put a color on it you'll want to prime it first. Zinsser makes a good primer. You can pick some up at Kelly-Moore or someplace like that. Spray on a coat and then wait about a week so that the primer can cure. It must be completely dry and cured before it is painted. Then, use a 400 grit sandpaper and LIGHTLY sand away any bumps or anything in the primer to achieve a smooth finish. Now it is ready to be painted. The paint you choose is entirely up to you. A cheap Krylon spray paint will work just fine since the paint's only purpose is to provide the color. Apply a few thin coats of paint so that there will be no running or anything like that. Wait a few days for it to completely dry then apply an acrylic urethane. This is going to provide the deep gloss finish and shine. This is why I said that a cheap spray paint will do nicely. As for the urethane, whatever you do AVOID ANY SPRAY URETHANE!! They are nothing but trouble. Kelly-Moore makes a great urethane called Kel-Thane II. To apply it, use a high quality brush. It must be a thin brush so that you won't get those nasty deep brush lines. Apply a generous coat and don't worry about it running, it will cure itself as it dries. When this is dry the guitar is done. Use a tack cloth to brush it off and clean it up real nice. I know this stuff works because I built a fretless guitar and used the exact same stuff I told about and it turned out great. As for the frets, DO NOT PAINT THEM OR THE FRET BOARD. If the fretboard is in bad shape, remove the frets (you can do this with a good pair of fingernail clippers, just be sure not to dig into the wood) and use a 400 grit sand paper and lighty sand it and then oil the fretboard. Then go to your local shop and buy some new frets and either install them yourself or have the tech install them for you. If you are not familiar with the procedure, please have it done for you. After tis is done, put some quality strings on it and enjoy it. I hope this helps and if you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. Good luck and have fun.

Hohner Professional series

How much is a St Scorpion worth and does anyone know where I can find more information about this guitar eg a picture.

Re: Hohner Professional series

: How much is a St Scorpion worth and does anyone know where I can find more information about this guitar eg a picture.

A friend of mine has a same guitar, and he payed 300$ for it. And at that time it was 3 years old.
its an asian production, and pretty good guitar. There are two types of that guitar, one older the other newer. The production has been stopped i think in 1998.

Re: Hohner Professional series

: How much is a Hohner Professional L59 LES PAUL worth and does anyone know where I can find more information about this guitar and some pictures.

DigiTech RP7+Ibanez RG470=?good rythme distortion

Any one helps me produce a fine rythme distortion using my DigiTech RP7 and my Ibanez RG470 (pick ups are inf1(humbucker)-infs1(simple)-inf2(humbucker) )

Thank you :)

Re: DigiTech RP7+Ibanez RG470=?good rythme distortion

: Any one helps me produce a fine rythme distortion using my DigiTech RP7 and my copy of Cramer (pick ups are inf1(simple)-infs1(simple)-inf2(humbucker)

: Thank you :)

Re: DigiTech RP7+Ibanez RG470=?good rythme distortion

I'm not too familiar with your Digitech RP7 because i have an RP200, but at least we do have the same guitars...anyways, you can play good rythm with any of the built-in distortions, you dont need to make new ones if you dont want to. Plus, all kinds of distortions can go well for rythym guitar it only depends what kind od music you play :)

hindi mp3

iwant mp3 hindisongs downloadable software

Re: hindi mp3

: iwant mp3 <B style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">hindisongs</B> downloadable software

Re: hindi mp3

i want mp3 hindisongs downloadable software.

also i wnat download of remixes

i want mp3 hindi downloadable software

kindly send me

tokai

Where can I buy a Tokai Talbo in the USA?

hohner 12string

I search a Hohner electric 12string.

Best Drum Machine?

What drum machine has high quality sounds that i can connect to my pc for recording? Can i compose a complete drum track and load it a midi track in cubase etc? and edit it further from there?

Guild D-15M...is it good???

Guild D-15M...is it good???

This popular thread has been given its own page : Guild D-15M...is it good???

Scorpions Edition Gibson Custom Shop Flying V

Hey Everybody;
Has anyone got any info on the 1999 Gibson Custom Shop Scorpions Edition Flying V's?
I've got one signed by Rudolf and can't find out anything about it other than it's possibly 1 of 5,or, 1 0f 100. I even tried Gibson and they weren't much help (go figure!) I went as far as trying to contact Mr.Schenker himself through the Scorps fanclub-(yeah,I know,Good Luck!) Anyway if anyone has any info,I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!!
Bob
RWfromNJ@webtv.net

Which guitar should i buy?

I have been playing guitar for about 4 years now and have just gotten hold of enough money to buy myself a new guitar. The only question is - which one. Every brand say " I am the best one, buy me ". And as I am not very into into the technical part of guitars(like which pickups you should have if you want a specific sound, or which frets that is the best) I have gotten very confused to wich one I should buy. I am mostly playing metal(Ulver, Metallica, Satyricon, Therion) so what I am looking for in matter of sound is a guitar that handles dist., overdrive etc without any trouble. One thing that is also important for me is the durability, so that the paint doesn´t fall off or the guitar falls apart. I am currently holding a about eight years old Peavey raptor I(international series). It has worked alright when I was a beginner, but the sound is quite lame and it´s beginning to fall apart.
I have been in the store and tested a Dean EVO, and a Ibanez GAX75. They felt great compered to my old Peavey, but I haven´t been playing much else than that same old Peavey so I don´t know; are they any good? Are there others I should try?
In short: I want a guitar that can handle metal and rock and has the shape like the Dean EVO or the Ibanez GAX75(the IcX120 is also a cool one). The price should be around 300-500 US dollar. I really hope you guys can help me out here! Thanx!!

Re: Which guitar should i buy?

ok let me start off by saying KICK ASS choice in music! Metal is where it is all at. It is the music with the most heart, technicallity, and wisdom EVER!!!

Second let me help you out a little bit. Dont waste your time with the Deans, Jacksons, or Ibanez guitars.
If you want real metal and you want a powerful axe get a B.C.Rich!!! Those guitars are THE DEFINITION OF METAL!!! They are born of fire and forged in blood and bone. I have 2 Riches; a B.C.Rich Outlaw and a B.C.Rich Warlock. They SMOKE all my other guitars! I mean they just put my other guitars in the DUST for metal. I just bought a 2001 Ibanez RG550 japanese model and the japanese ibanez guitars are way better than the korean ones, yet my B.C.Riches still smoke my brand new Ibanez.

Also B.C.Rich guitars can do more than put up to the test of time, the pass it with an A+ throw it on the floor, piss on it then turn it in to the teacher and punch the teacher in the face! I have had my Warlock for 7 years and I bought it used from a friend who had it for 4 years before I bought it (you do the math) and its still in badass playing condition. I have never had to re-adjust the neck and the Stock pickups fuckin' blow any dimarzio distortion pickup out of the water. Hands down the best metal guitars you can buy man.

Hope I helped a little, Long live B.C.Rich, and Ibanez guitars are great too, it's just that they need a little work before they become as badass as B.C.Riches.
if you buy a B.C.Rich you wont be disapointed, they are great right out of the box!

Take it easy,
-Ben

B.C. Rich sucks. Metal is all they are decent for. They are made crappy and sound horrible. They aren't versatile at all. They are made for one sound and even that sound is questionable. I don't mean to burst your bubble or anything, but I'm just saying it the way it is. A better choice might be an ESP or something.

Dont believe him man. He didnt even state that he was expierenced in ESP guitars, and he gave no examples of the "Flaws" of B.C.Riches. What makes them bad??? Is it the wood, the pickups? What? You didnt explain and I am sure that this dude wants explainations.

And by the by, ESP is for people who wish they could play metal. ESP guitars are for posers. They are for fuckin' Deftone wannabes. ESP's arent that versitle either my friend. I have an ESP horizon and it is a lightweight piece of crap and I am selling it at my guitar shop for 150 cause I swear ALL my other guitars are better sounding right out of the box and are DEFINATLY more *cough* versitile *cough*. Dude I manage my town's local guitar store, we get many guitars commin thru here, and I'll tell you this:
HANDS DOWN B.C.Riches are great for your style of music. Dont believe the dude who bashes them, he hasn't any real expierence with them, because all B.C.Rich dudes who have the good american models will tell you they are supreme rock guitars! Also if you want more "Versitility-in-metal" Try Ibanez guitars, I know they are trendy but if used in a professional manor they are great for any needs. Dont believe what some kid tells you man, I am a 15 year veteran of guitars and I am telling you that the best Mainstream guitars are B.C.Rich and Ibanez, Jacksons are good too, but ESP is just rank! ESP is what made metallica go soft!

Ben....

Don't get your panties in a bunch, and by the way, I'm not a kid and I've been playing for 17 years. I've played many ESP's and I've also played many Rich's, I have yet to find a Rich that I enjoy playing. I've found that they, in my opinion, play like a slinky, too loose and cranky. I myself am not into any of this modern metal at all. I play Fender's, but I've been around the block with most of the "metal" guitars and I've found that Rich is just not up to par. I could have recommended an Ibanez, a Jackson, or a Schecter, or any other of the trendy brands but those are WAY overdone.

Phil...

Lets end this RIGHT NOW!!! I LIVE AT 1900....hahaha no, just kidding. No but seriously lets end this. I tend to get wound up about things, either way you also got wound up, we both became pricks, I like one thing and you like another thing. Its no big deal, if you like ESP thats cool, whatever floats your boat. I like B.C.Rich its just our opinions. Truce???

Re: Phil...

O.K., truce. But, for the record, and I'm not getting wound up or anything, I am not really an ESP fan, I am a complete Fender-aholic, but if it came down to the ESP or the Rich, I would choose the ESP. But, as you said, it's a matter of opinion and that is totally cool. It's cool that you have the balls to defend your opinion, right on!

Alright

kudos to you Phil. Your a good dude. We shouldnt be agruing at all I mean, afterall, guitars players should stick together cause we are the same breed of humans, a better breed than any of the others, but humans none the less. Hence I hope everything's cool. I like fenders too, I own a fat strat with a dimarzio paf pro in the bridge and its one of my favs cause its a good vintage rock tool.

Take it easy man,
-Ben

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.