Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - September, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: guitar software

I've been looking for a year or so for an interactive program for the more advanced player. All I can find are pretty basic beginner stuff. If you could play into the machine, have it analyze the notes (with an FFT), and then read it out to show mistakes, it would be a great tool. Maybe we should contact the software makers and see if they have anything more advanced in the works.

Re: guitar software

Yes I know of several actually .. :)

Boss ds-1 distortion pedal

I am trying to play stuff like blink-182 and good charlotte and i dont know where to set my distortion pedal please help i am not at my computer so i prob. wont be able to find thias site again please e-mail me dinoman240@aol.com

thanks
zach

Re: Boss ds-1 distortion pedal

sorry bro, u cant get a good sound out of that pedal.

Re: Boss ds-1 distortion pedal

haha 2 years later i find this site....check out my band www.threestarsleft.cjb.net yeah on tour this summer

Norma Guitar

Norma Guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Norma Guitar

iN SEARCH OF BOSS MT-2 SET UP

I'm looking for a proper heavy sound tuning of the
Boss MT-2.I' don't have the brochure of the pedal.Can anyone give me a hand ...

Re: iN SEARCH OF BOSS MT-2 SET UP

Turn the Level and Distortion all the way up.
then, on the knob next to the level knob, turn both the knob itself and the sub knob all the way up.
the on the knob beside that one turn the actual knob to about 75% then turn the sub knob all the way down.
that should be pretty heavy sounding.

Need JJ CALE sheet music

I'm looking for JJ Cale's sheet music -- anything i can get my hands on.

many thanx for emailing me any info!

I Need A SGX 2000 with X 15 pedal

Does someone out there have an ART SGX 2000 for sale with X-15 pedal?

Re: I Need A SGX 2000 with X 15 pedal

I've got a SGX 2000 Express w/ X-15 Ultra Foot controller if your still interested.

Re: I Need A SGX 2000 with X 15 pedal

: Does someone out there have an ART SGX 2000 for sale with X-15 pedal?

I Have a ART SGX 2000 Express with X-15 pedal, How much you are ready to pay US$.

ES135 with Humbuckers

Tried a new ES135 that had '57 Classic Humbuckers, blew me away. Also was considering a 335, now I can't make up my mind. Has anyone done an in depth comparison of the two, or maybe has one of each that can offer me some advice? I know the 135's neck is a lot beefier, but what about the differences in clean and distorted tones?

THIRD EYE BLIND (PLEAZE HELP ME)

I really need to know what kind of guitar the guitarist and the lead singer uses. And can u tell me about the best clean sound.

Re: THIRD EYE BLIND (PLEAZE HELP ME)

: I really need to know what kind of guitar the guitarist and the lead singer uses. And can u tell me about the best clean sound.

From what i have seen he plays a gibson xplorer or a gibson firebird and the other guitarst uses a standard strat

reading music

Hi,
Does anyone know of a good web site that teaches how to read sheet music from a guitarist's point of view?
if so please e-mail me

thanks,
Alan Miller

Re: reading guitar music

In my humble opinion; if you learn to read for guitar only, the best thing to do is learn tablature (or tab). Guitar is different from piano in that a note can be played in several different places on a fretboard, versus only one place on a keyboard. Therefore there are different ways to play the same piece on a guitar. Tablature tells you (suggests) which fret to play the note on. Also tab is relatively simple to learn. I don't know of any tablature tutorial sites, but I haven't looked either.

In my humble opinion; if you learn to read for guitar only, the best thing to do is learn tablature (or tab). Guitar is different from piano in that a note can be played in several different places on a fretboard, versus only one place on a keyboard. Therefore there are different ways to play the same piece on a guitar. Tablature tells you (suggests) which fret to play the note on. Also tab is relatively simple to learn, it's more visual, and has less rules than regular written music. I don't know of any tablature tutorial sites, but I haven't looked either.

In my humble opinion; if you learn to read for guitar only, the best thing to do is learn tablature (or tab). Tab is a music language especially invented for guitar. Guitar is different from piano in that a note can be played in several different places on a fretboard, versus only one place on a keyboard. Therefore there are different ways to play the same piece on a guitar. Tablature tells you (suggests) which fret to play the note on. Also tab is relatively simple to learn, it's more visual, and has less rules than regular written music. Because it has less rules, it is also less descriptive, so it's best if you already know how the tune is supposed to sound before you try to learn it from tab. One thing is nice though, it shows you the string bends real plainly. I don't know of any tablature tutorial sites, but I haven't looked either. Good luck with it.

Re: reading music

Sorry about the triple post. Editing accident. Just read the last one.

Re: reading music

Hmmm....

Standard music no. If your looking for tabs a great place to start is www.harmony-central.com

Chords for KD Lang's Barefoot

Chords for KD Lang's Barefoot

This popular thread has been given its own page : Chords for KD Lang's Barefoot

Wicked Game

Hello,

Who knows where I can find the partition or lyrics of the song Wicked Game from Him (Chris Isaak) ??
thank

Re: Wicked Game

That's a cool song. What's a partition?

world was on fire, no-one could save me but you
it's strange what desire will make foolish people do
i'd never dreamed that i'd need somebody like you
and i'd never dreamed that i'd lose somebody like you
no, i don't wanna fall in love
(this world is only gonna break your heart)
with you
what a wicked game to play
to make me feel this way
what a wicked thing to do
to let me dream of you
what a wicked thing to say
you never felt this way
what a wicked thing to do
to make me dream of you
with you
world was on fire, no-one could save me but you
it's strange what desire will make foolish people do
no, i never dreamed that i'd love somebody like you
i'll never dream that i lose somebody like you, no
and i don't wanna fall in love
with you
nobody loves no-one

: Hello,

: Who knows where I can find the partition or lyrics of the song Wicked Game from Him (Chris Isaak) ??
: thank

Chords: Bmin - A - E

I've been trying to fing out who performed this song for several week now. Can anyone tell me
the name of the CD its on.

Carvin sold out

Carvin is now selling acoustic guitars made in countries who support Usama Bin Laden, the killer of thousands of American'sin the Word Trade Center as well as many other terrorist activities.

Jackson Original Rhoads (American Made)

Does anyone have any info on the serial number: PCS 0107? How many were made? Is it a collectors item? Color is Black with brass hardware, has 2 Hum, Seymore Duncan, tune-o-matic bridge with "strings through body."

Shark fin inlays on bound fret board.

Tried Jackson web-site--no info available on the PCS serial number.

Thanks.

Jackson Original Rhoads (American Made)

Does anyone have any info on the serial number: PCS 0107? How many were made? Is it a collectors item? Color is Black with brass hardware, has 2 Hum, Seymore Duncan, tune-o-matic bridge with "strings through body."

Shark fin inlays on bound fret board.

Tried Jackson web-site--no info available on the PCS serial number.

Thanks.

Re: Jackson Original Rhoads (American Made)

well, looks like you have a guitar just like mine, the same thing except the serial number, you is PCS 0107, and mine is just 0060, why does your guitar is PCS? the Original Rhoads is a copy of the two main guitars of Randy Rhoads, and there are not many more than yours in the world, my country (Portugal) has only one dispended by jackson, that is mine, it is the first guitar with V design of Jackson, it is not a colection guitar but is very rare, you can find more informatin in www.randyrhoadsguitars.com

protect that guitar with your life!!

Have Cool, Vasco

Re: Jackson Original Rhoads (American Made)

: Does anyone have any info on the serial number: PCS 0107? How many were made? Is it a collectors item? Color is Black with brass hardware, has 2 Hum, Seymore Duncan, tune-o-matic bridge with "strings through body."

The guitar is the second of Randy and the first of that kind of V Jackson design. I've got RR 2772 which is made in late '96. Got it in January '97. Still all original and my number one guitar. Proberly the only one in Denmark. I had to wait 5-6 months for it without trying it. I did try one ine Paris for 2 minutes though. Mine is one of the last ones with an RR seriel number I belive.
I loved Kirk Hammets RR in the Cliff'em'all video. This one is very close to it. All the RR stuff I did not notice untill later.

: Shark fin inlays on bound fret board.

: Tried Jackson web-site--no info available on the PCS serial number.

: Thanks.

true or false?????????

is it true that gibson guitars get better with age and increase in value?? i,ve just bought a les paul studio and was wondering if they,re any good

Re: true or false?????????

In my humble opinion; The idea of stringed instruments getting better with age applies to "accoustic" (meaning hollow body)guitars only. That's because the wood changes over time - don't ask me how - to produce a mellower sound from the tone surfaces(the front and back)of the instrument. That's why old violins are supposed to sound better than new ones, all else being equal. Solid body electrics aren't going to change appriciably over time. As for the value, it depends on supply and demand. Let's hope you bought a future collectors item. Keep it in mint condition.By the way, I had a Les Paul once that was the best guitar I ever had, sold it for $800 when in a pinch, and now wish I hadn't.

Hmm.It really depends on the guitar,the current market,how they were made.Strats from '75-'79 are often undesirable.Cause the wood was "Oven dried" instead of "Sun dried".The use of ovens made the wood dry out unevenly,giving it a strange tone.Earlier strats were made of a different type of ash wood,making
them lighter than newer ones.However,the Gibson STUDIO
is a very good guitar...my cousin owns one.If you like your axe,then hold onto it!I have a '77 Les Paul that aged nicely and sounds beautiful!
Hope this helps

: is it true that gibson guitars get better with age and increase in value?? i,ve just bought a les paul studio and was wondering if they,re any good

A standart Les Paul increases in value, up to 10 times as much in value. But I doubt that studio Les Pauls icreases as much as well. But normal standarts don't
increase as much anymore. That's because in the 60' Gibson stopped producing the les paul but now their making it again, so...

Well, while the price of a current Lse Paul studio might not go up in the next 20 - 30 years, the tone of the guitar will change to a mellower one with more sustain. As the pickups age they loose thier magnetism, causing an older guitar to have a mellower sound. With a lower strength the magnets don't pull on the strings as much so you get an increased sustain as well, granted you will have to turn it up louder. As for the wood I suppose it has some slight effect on the sound of your guitar.

Ecks007

Mustangs

The Mustang is by far the best guitar ever made ,I amsure many will agree,why dont they make them anymore?!!!!!

Seriously? I never heard of them. Are they nice?

Actually Ben I'd have to disagree, the best guitars ever made were B.C.Rich, Jackson, PRS, Ernie Ball, and any other American guitar company, or any american guitar for that matter! Do you own a Mustang guitar? where can I find information on them? You seem to like them so much I want to check them out!

for all the idiots who dont know

mustang is made by fender. you can find some info from jag-stang.com under the mustang section. they are definatly a really nice guitar!

P.S.

Nice name Bob....I mean Ben.

Re: Mustangs

The Mustang was Fenders poor mans Strat. I never played one that I liked.(just my opinion)

Re: Mustangs

ive jus aqquired a mustang lead guitar, and it is by far better than all my friends! and they keep telling me to keep it for a while then sell it off! should i??

Mark Knofler guitars+amps+style

Mark Knofler guitars+amps+style

This popular thread has been given its own page : Mark Knofler guitars+amps+style

Guitar Cable to Audio Stereo Cable ...

is there such a thing? whereby i can convert the guitar cable output jack into the typical stereo input jake (those with 2 heads, one red one white normally) ?

Re: Guitar Cable to Audio Stereo Cable ...

: is there such a thing? whereby i can convert the guitar cable output jack into the typical stereo input jake (those with 2 heads, one red one white normally) ?

Yes, most electronics stores have all manner of splitters/cables/adapters, or to get a mono to stereo effect you can get several pedals such as Boss Stereo Chorus which have mono in and two mono out female jacks.
None of the above give true stereo except for the pedals which give a sort of quasi stereo.
If you want true stereo you need a guitar such as a Rickenbacker/Godin/Parker which has a stereo jack sending two separate signals (one from each pickup) which goes to two amps or a stereo amp.
Why do you want it, what setup are you contemplating?
I've mucked around with a lot of guitar/amp stereo setups, if you tell us more we can give you more detailed advice.
I hope you're not thinking of plugging into a home stereo setup. If you do that you'll blow the cones of your stereo into orbit. The signal from a guitar is heaps more powerful than the sort of signals a home studio is designed to take.
Get back to us I'm curious.

: : is there such a thing? whereby i can convert the guitar cable output jack into the typical stereo input jake (those with 2 heads, one red one white normally) ?

: Yes, most electronics stores have all manner of splitters/cables/adapters, or to get a mono to stereo effect you can get several pedals such as Boss Stereo Chorus which have mono in and two mono out female jacks.
: None of the above give true stereo except for the pedals which give a sort of quasi stereo.
: If you want true stereo you need a guitar such as a Rickenbacker/Godin/Parker which has a stereo jack sending two separate signals (one from each pickup) which goes to two amps or a stereo amp.
: Why do you want it, what setup are you contemplating?
: I've mucked around with a lot of guitar/amp stereo setups, if you tell us more we can give you more detailed advice.
: I hope you're not thinking of plugging into a home stereo setup. If you do that you'll blow the cones of your stereo into orbit. The signal from a guitar is heaps more powerful than the sort of signals a home studio is designed to take.
: Get back to us I'm curious.

Indeed, it's quite simple to make this connection.
Actually, the signal from the guitar itself is not powerful. It's just the difference when you pluck the strings gently or when you pluck them roughly. If you pluck them gently the output signal has a low amplitude. In order to still hear anything you need quite some amplification. At the same time, you could pluck your strings roughly and then the guitar outputs a considerable larger peak amplitude. And it is these peaks that ruin your speakers.
Another way to connect your guitar can be found on :

http://home.tiscali.be/guitardoc

Pickup-less Guitars?

When I was in Winnipeg, I saw a band playing by The Forks, in a bar. I wasn't allowed to go in (most other 9 year olds aren't)so I watched from outside. A guy was playing an electric guitar which seemed to have no pickups. I thought it was pretty cool, and I wanted one. The pickups are probably hidden beneath the surface, but what the hell...

Are there any manufacturers that make guitars like these? What's the name of the manufacturers and models? If not, are they customized? What manufacturers can let me do this?

Re: Pickup-less Guitars?

These could be piezoelectric (crystal) pickups. Six vibration sensitive ceramic crystals are mounted under the strings in the bridge(I think). Don't know the company names but it's an easy search. Fender makes (or made) a "gut string" model that looked like a Telecaster. You could start there for keywords.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.