Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - November, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: how to tune a 12 string guitar

The standard way is to tune the 'hi e' & 'b' strings in unison. they should both be tuned the same. the rest should bu tuned so the thinner string is one octave above the thicker string.

: Tune it as you would a six string. The smaller/thinner strings should be tuned to an octave, or twelve notes higher than the thick/normal string. You do know how to tune a six, right?

I've heard that you should tune them down to D to reduce tension on the neck and bridge - then use a capo. Anyone have any filler for this thought?

: The standard way is to tune the 'hi e' & 'b' strings in unison. they should both be tuned the same. the rest should bu tuned so the thinner string is one octave above the thicker string.

:
: : Tune it as you would a six string. The smaller/thinner strings should be tuned to an octave, or twelve notes higher than the thick/normal string. You do know how to tune a six, right?

the thinner strings must be slightly lower in tune a half half tone enough to create chorus effect
:
: : Tune it as you would a six string. The smaller/thinner strings should be tuned to an octave, or twelve notes higher than the thick/normal string. You do know how to tune a six, right?

To start, you need (1) a tuner (2) a piano (3) another tuned guitar. If you're just dinking around by yourself, perfect tune is not that important, but you need to get it fairly close - too low, the strings will rattle, too high, you risk damage to the guitar because of the tension. Your strings are lowest to highest: E, A, D, G, B, E. The bottom 4 (EADG) consist of a heavy and light pair, tuned an octave apart, the top 2 pairs (BE) are identical. I tune the bottom 4 HEAVY strings first, go back and tune their LIGHT mates, then finally the B's and E's on top. Once the bottom E is in tune or close, go from the bottom up tuning the next string to the next lower string on the 5th fret - EXCEPT - the B tunes to the G on the 4th fret. When you're done, if done correctly, the bottom E and top E should be in tune, if not, you did something wrong! (When I say "bottom" string, I'm referring to tone, not it's position on the guitar!)
Hope this helps...

Does anyone have decent non- preset patches for Korg AX100G?

I'm looking for some authentic non- preset patch ideas for Korg AX100g. Please help! Thanks.

Re: Does anyone have decent non- preset patches for Korg AX100G?

Just expiriment dude, play around, mix thing up, scramble your guitar's sound waves

Re: Does anyone have decent non- preset patches for Korg AX100G?

: I'm looking for some authentic non- preset patch ideas for Korg AX100g.I need a smooth sound for some guitar solos.Please help me.

Zoom GFX707 or Korg AX100G??

I'm looking for a decent multi effects unit with authentic acoustic sim and good distortions mainly for live work. Plenty of usefull presets and low noise. GFX707 has been recommended. Any advice greatly appriciated!

Re: Zoom GFX707 or Korg AX100G??

Hi. It's David.
Actually, I don't like Zoom.
Korg is much better. But not AX100G (for live usage).
If you need good distorsion try Korg 104ds. If you need other effects too, try Korg AX1000G or AX1500G. These processors are a bit expensive but I'm sure you'll be setisfied. All of this effects have very low noise when you switch on the distorsion.
Good luck.

Re: Zoom GFX707

Hy there.
Meybe you can help...
I am a guitarist from latvia ( Baltic states) and some time ago i bought zoom GFX707 so in one concert i droped it so half of posibiletiies are gone! I wanted to repair it but here in latvia its not posible so wat can i do? Any adwice will be good meybe i can buy somewere the chipset from it or something... Oskars

Re: Zoom GFX707 or Korg AX100G??

Hi there. just to say, i bought the ax100g today (28th december01) and it is absolutely incredible. the preset sounds are fantastic anyway, but all of them can be fiddled around with and changed etc. the expression pedal is great and you can get a good wah effect among others. my mate has the zoom but it is nowhere near as good as the korg.
only problem with the korg is that it eats up batteries. (but you can get an ac adapter)

Need advice on Strat fingerboards&pickups

I need some advice concerning the features of the New American Series Stratocaster. I really like the white blonde finish, and a maple neck would fit better than a rosewood. So what is the major difference between those two neck types, which one would you prefer? And finally, are the pickups alright, or do I need Texas Specials?

Burns/ Baldwin Virginian

I am seeking a Burns/Baldwin Virginian guitar made in the mid 1960's. In excellent cond. Cash waiting for right guitar. thanks-Jerry L.

Re: Burns/ Baldwin Virginian

Know where there is a 66 baldwin split sound model 503 in great condition with its original case. Email me and let me know what you would be willing to pay.

video and audio schools

I'm looking for a good video and audio schools for my music shop. Please tell me if you know some.
Thank you

Restringing an Acoustic

I have an Epiphone AJ-18 Acoustic. Damn good guitar for the price. Anyway, I bought some Martin strings yesterday and attempted to restring them today. Theres a problem, though. The ball end of the string wont fit through the hole on the bridge. Do I just need to get different strings or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks, Patrick

Re: Restringing an Acoustic

: I have an Epiphone AJ-18 Acoustic. Damn good guitar for the price. Anyway, I bought some Martin strings yesterday and attempted to restring them today. Theres a problem, though. The ball end of the string wont fit through the hole on the bridge. Do I just need to get different strings or am I doing something wrong?

: Thanks, Patrick

PS im a stupid nigger

Gibson

I would like the correct position tailbridge of ES 175 D, Gibson.
Thank you.

can someone help?!

so i've got this problem: i got this role in a play and it calls for playing electric guitar at one point. i have to play the star spangled banner. i know nothing about electric guitars. i have to tabs for an easy version of the song, have it down pretty well, but it just doesn't sound very 'rockin rollish' which it needs to. can ANYONE please give me some advice that would be easy for my to learn? thanks

Re: can someone help?!

If you've never heard Jimi Hendrix version you should listen to it just for inspiration. If you want that feel, use an effects pedal to distort the sound of the guitar or play with the amp to get a "dirtier" sound. Hope that helps a little.

: so i've got this problem: i got this role in a play and it calls for playing electric guitar at one point. i have to play the star spangled banner. i know nothing about electric guitars. i have to tabs for an easy version of the song, have it down pretty well, but it just doesn't sound very 'rockin rollish' which it needs to. can ANYONE please give me some advice that would be easy for my to learn? thanks

Agreed, if hendrix isnt inspireing, nothing will help, just try adding some emphises(sound it out, dunno how to spell it) on notes, small pauses, hey, whatever you think sound good, expiriment, that how ledgends are born

plenty of ovedrive, and deifinately listen to the hendrix

need advice on effects

I play in a band with a female lead singer. We do mellow to high energy pop but I've leaned on my acoustic and now want to use my electric - a late 70's Strat through a Fender ultimate chorus amp. I could really use some advice on what to use (amp settings,effects etc.) to get a modern pop sound for rhythm playing without getting to heavy. Thanks.

Re: need advice on effects

Besides all other effects, try compressor (for instance DOD milk box)

Re: need advice on effects

Hmm.I'd recommend getting a phase shifter.It will give you lots of ambiance and texture.Especially for rythym guitar.

cant get sound on cakewalk guitar tracks2

im recording from a pod 2. the only way i get any sound is from the headphone out at full blast going into the mic input on the computer with the mic boost on. does anyone know whats wrong?

Re: cant get sound on cakewalk guitar tracks2

I'm using Guitar studio 1 and yamaha dg-stomp setup. I run the signal from guitar to preamp to soundcard (stereo from preamp's headphones output).
I got nice output levels as I run the output signal from my soundcard to my stereo systems aux input and connect my headphones to my stereo system and disable my hifi speakers.

Rectifier Frequencies

Gents,
Does anyone know the center frequencies and bandwidths for the tone controls used on the dual and triple rectifers on the high gain channel? If so, zip me an e-mail at bullocksm@npt.nuwc.navy.mil

Help!!! Controlling my Rocktron Piranha via MIDI

Help!!! Controlling my Rocktron Piranha via MIDI

This popular thread has been given its own page : Help!!! Controlling my Rocktron Piranha via MIDI

STEVE VAI - WINDOWS TO THE SOUL =-=-=-=

if any one can play this or knows where i can get tabs or cheap sheet music for this song STEVE VAI - WINDOWS TO THE SOUL. please help

Re: STEVE VAI - WINDOWS TO THE SOUL =-=-=-=

hey u can find it on www.powertabs.net but u must download the software first .. try it. the site rox!!!

Re: STEVE VAI - WINDOWS TO THE SOUL =-=-=-=

: if any one can play this or knows where i can get tabs or cheap sheet music for this song STEVE VAI - WINDOWS TO THE SOUL. please help
in full tablature

rouge amp

are rouge amps any good?

Re: rouge amp

Yeah they aren't the greatest thing in the world but I have one and it competes with my friends, Mesa boogie amp, and the fender amps

Tuning problem!

why are fretted strings out of tune when my open strings are in tune?

Re: Tuning problem!

One word.... "Intonation". Depending on your tremolo, this can be an easy fix or a "bitch fix".
If you have a locking trem, like a Floyd.... Good luck.
Strat type/vintage trems are a lot easier to adjust. You will also need a tuner as well as new strings.
Let me know whatcha' got.

Re: Tuning problem!

The Twicthdoctor is correct. This is a common problem -- especially on guitars that have not been set up right, or fooled with by folks who don't know what they're doing
(which is all of us until we learned about proper intonation, etc.). I have some tips on my web site to help people out, but I'll also soon add a more in depth article on the subject of intonation.
Sometimes you can also run into a problem with the nut position relative to the bridge (or worse, to the frets), but this is rare. Most guitars, inlcuding low end ones, have fairly accurate fret location,
etc.

Check out my site at:

http://members.home.net/wilkatguitars/

Good luck, Bill

I concur, it's the intonation

aka, the distance between the nut and the bridge is off. I'll see if I can find a good article about this.
# D

my 1972 Gibson Dove

I have a 1972 Gibson Dove acoustic guitar(I purchased it in early 1973) and its in very good condition. What is it really worth?

Re: my 1972 Gibson Dove

: I have a 1972 Gibson Dove acoustic guitar(I purchased it in early 1973) and its in very good condition. What is it really worth?

Depends on the color, and condition. Are you looking to sell it?

the guitar depending on condition will go between 15-1700

What's the best oil for applying to fretboard?

What's the best oil for applying to fretboard?

This popular thread has been given its own page : What's the best oil for applying to fretboard?

Guitar cables

I just recently started playing after a 20 year lay off. I hear all this hype about this guitar cable gives you better this and better that. I know I would like a quality cable. Is there really a difference? I hear that Whirlwind, Planet Waves, and Spectra-Flex are good. Do you have any input for me? Thanx,Jeff

Re: Guitar cables

They have difference.
Try "Quik Lok MPM" stereo low noise cable. I use it and it's perfect.

My recommendation: Whirlwind

: They have difference.
: Try "Quik Lok MPM" stereo low noise cable. I use it and it's perfect.

Thanx guys

I like Whirlwind and ProCo,I think they're the best.

NEWBIE GUITAR

I dont want to spend tons on a guitar could someone reccomend me guitars and give me their pros and cons.(I AM WILLING TO PAY $450 canadian or less.

Re: NEWBIE GUITAR

Go for strats, the Fender Stratocaster is a nice guitar, and it reletivly cheap for the quality, about $200-$300 American I think is resonable for one, there good for beginers, but remember about amplification, cables, etc.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.