Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - November, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: ETCHING ON GUITAR/REPAIR? info/help greatly appreciated!

Etching, hmmm. Was it really scratched into the top coat, or attempted using some form of acid? You see some really strnage things out there! Yeah, you can often remove some fool's damage by sanding it out, just realize that the attempted repair may stand out from the rest of the surface, possibly requiring you to sand the rest to make it match. I often use 1500 grit for final wet sanding before polishing, although sometimes 600 is adequate. Check out my guitar tips on my web site at:

http://members.home.net/wilkatguitars/

You'll find tips on a number of things including scratch repair. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, check with a pro. Luthier's are much better equipped for this than the average player/owner, and they can tell you the consequences of a do-it-yourself repair. I'm not kidding when I say it may stand out from the rest of the body (in fact it will likely appear smooth but dull compared to the balance of the finish). A lot depends on the final rubbing out and polishing which requires a high quality rubbing compound, a good polishing wheel (or a lot of elbow grease).

Sometimes it's best to just leave it alone, and just clean it up, and live with it (unless it's a really valuable axe!).

Good Luck!

What's the best compressor?

And I'm talking about a pedal version, not rack.
I'm also looking for something under $100, so help me out please

Re: What's the best compressor?

The old Boss CS-2's were good.Also the MXR's were kinda cool.

Martin D-35. Which pickup would br best?

Hello
I have a 1970 D-35 and I want to install an acoustic pickup on it and I'm looking for suggestions and opinions on which pickup, or pickup system would work best.
Thanks for your time.

Larry

classical sheet music

Does anyone have a copy of Benda Sonata in D or Minuet in C Minor for guitar? If not, do you know where I might find free downloadable sheet music?

Effect

HI
i,m looking for a software that works as a lead effect
i would be so happy if you help me

Re: Effect

: HI
: i,m looking for a software that works as a lead effect
: i would be so happy if you help me

get sumtin by digitech. its cheep and great. (RP series)

how much?

I got a Fender Strat and it is in very good condition normal wear with hardshell case Red with white pic guard. Lazer-Sensor pick ups how much do you think i could get for it

old gibson

I have an old gibson acustic guitar the serial number is 3767. Can you help with letting me know how old and a possible value. Thanks, Kevin

Gibson C1

I have a gibson C1 Classic Serial # 850035. Please tell me more about this guitar and what year it was made - also, what is it's vale?

Thanks

J45 CM

Does anyone know anything about a Gibson J45-CM. I am considering one, but don't know that much about it. Serial #90144013. owner says that there is minor checking on the back of the guitar, but otherwise it is in excellent condition. How much should I offer?

Uncle Moe's Space Ranch

www.brettgarsed.com

Trouble and shit

My scales are still very slow; my voice is tring to keep up.Any advice?

Re: Trouble and shit

Ok, I'll be honest.... Iv'e got a good buzz goin' on. What the Fuck is your question? Scales? Really, if you want a serious answer, BE more specific.
I don't mind trying to help out, just let me know what your asking.
If I had a dollar for every dumb question on this site, I would be a rich man.
This goes to everyone......... At least type like you've past the 3rd grade, O.K?
Sorry if I offend......... Its been a long night.
Honestly, I will try to answer your question....... IF I KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT.

How To Make Effects On Zoom GFX4

I want you to send me some effect configurations on GFX4. I made some effects my self, but I'd like to have some more.

Flamenco

Alguien es aficionado al flamenco????
Escribeme y hablaremos.

Re: Flamenco

HEY, do you speak English!?What are you saying?
I love "Flamenco" guitar. Its right up there with Classical. Yea, Paco rules, Gypsy Kings too! How about Stunz & Farah? Forgive me if I seem loud, I'm just drunk!
Please reply in English.
Later.

Re: Flamenco

I don't know what this means but if you like Flamenco I have some posted online at ampcast.com/sologuitar, with links to free scores and lessons,

Jim in Canada

: Alguien es aficionado al flamenco????
: Escribeme y hablaremos.

$1000.00 reward! Les Paul, '58 cherry historic w/bigsby sn/8 7145

Please help me find my stolen guitar!
$1000.00 reward!!!

Cherry plaintop Les Paul w/Bigsby tremolo arm, nickel hardware , no "les paul" on headstock, serial number 8 7145
historic re-issue

If you see this guitar please let me know, it was stolen in '99 in the valley area of Los Angeles.
no questions asked, $1000.00 reward

DILLION

anyone have a dillion guitar and if so please tell

Re: DILLION

: anyone have a dillion guitar and if so please tell

I have two Dillion, a PRS copy and a Les Paul Goldtop copy. What would you like to know?

Cleaning

I bought my guitar used and i want to clean the fret board but how will i get strings off properly(im a totaly newbie). P.S. I still want to use the same strings

Re: Cleaning

Don't take the strings off completely, just loosen them a bit.
Clean one side of the fretboard at once, then let it dry etc, tighten the strings on that side and do the same on the other side. Is that acoustic or electric?

tommy emmanul tabs

wherecan I find tabs from Tommy Emmanuel

Re: tommy emmanul tabs

Try danmansmusic.com this site has an excellent library though there is probably only 1 or 2 of Tom's songs tabbed on it. Have a feeling I have seen a publication in the Australian shops with TAB??

reproduction fender decals

Does anyone know a source of reproduction fender logos? I have seen some auctioned on ebay however, somewhere closer to Australia (or a reliable overseas source) would be better. The guitar I have aquired would never pass as a genuine fender in a pink fit, the logo is only required for my own please. If anyone has some information please contact me.

thanks

Aaron Cliff

Re: reproduction fender decals

Check out my site for reproduction logos!

Re: reproduction fender decals

Scott, what is the URL for your site?

Thanks!

: Check out my site for reproduction logos!

settings

hello my name is martin and i am from Denmark. I will like to find out what tom delonge from blink 182(guitar)amp settings is if any one nows i will be very happy. thanks

Re: settings

I know one for All The Small Things, you set the Treble to7, Mids to 4, Bass to 8, and Reverb(if you have it) to 1

Gretsch Van Eps 7 String

Has anyone seen this guitar for sale lately?

Thanks,
Bob
http://home.earthlink.net/~ping45/JAZZYBOB.html

gotoh skull tuners

gotoh skull tuners

This popular thread has been given its own page : gotoh skull tuners

Killer new record

Jason Nesmith just put out a new record on his website www.jasonnesmith.com. It is fantastic. Sort of mellow psycadelic rock with beautiful guitars and wonderful melodies Check out his site for free mp3 samples

Re: Killer new record

: Jason Nesmith has a new record called "Portrait" it is available on his website jasonnesmith.com Check it out it kicks ass!

framus strato de luxe

Im searching parts for my framus strato de luxe.
tremolo pickups elektronik usw

Re: framus strato de luxe

rotsa ruck! but, I am a framus fan, just finished a Cd that I used a framus acoustic on, my freinds all rave about how unique my acoustic guitar is, and how well it plays and sounds. My brothr brought it back from Germany in the 70s,. the neck stays PERFECT, never changes. i also recorded with a framus bass for years

i got a tokai guitar

i would like to see pic of some other ones

Re: i got a tokai guitar

One of the Australian Music shops with an on line shop has a pic, can't remember which one. suggest search on www.google.com for guitar australia - that's where I found it

Playing for several years and looking for a new guitar

I've been playing guitar for 4 years (since I was ten). My parents had bought me a mexican fender strat. I want to get a better guitar but don't want to spend thousands on, say a les paul. Would it be worth upgrading to an American Strat or what other options would i have?

Re: Playing for several years and looking for a new guitar

you must have rich parents
dont waste yer hard earnt ringets on a strat. i personally think strats are the most over-rated guitars of all time.
see what a paul reed smith santana SE sells for rond where you come from. there made in like a jap factory, but to prs specs, and with prs pickups. hot guitars for the money, they lik 1800 au$ (bout 800 us). would recomend one

: you must have rich parents
: dont waste yer hard earnt ringets on a strat. i personally think strats are the most over-rated guitars of all time.
: see what a paul reed smith santana SE sells for rond where you come from. there made in like a jap factory, but to prs specs, and with prs pickups. hot guitars for the money, they lik 1800 au$ (bout 800 us). would recomend one

i wouldent say they are over rated ive been playing them for years and i love them .
i just sold a les paul to buy another strat
it all depends on what u want to use it for a strat is far more versitile than a les paul or prs .
if u like the strat you have got pehaps you could try a japenise squier but it has to be 70s or 80s model and have jv on the serial on the back of the neck ,some people say that they are a far better quility guitar that a american strat .
also the tex mex fender isent a bad option to go for either

Hey...
I've been playing guitar for like 6 years (throughout my extended stay at Kent State) anyway
Upgrading??? I don't really think that you should look at it that way. I'm in your same boat and I bought, traded, and sold constantly trying to get a better guitar? But what means better???? That is all up to you!!!! I currently play a Roadhouse Strat..a 60's Gibson ES 120T... A 79 les Paul, an unknown japanese Jackson & A Marshall Half stack.. Yeah I have wasted a lot of money on guitar stuff. I know. But among all these things I don't think one is overated over another (except my Marshall Sucks) Take a look at what you.. like to play (stylewise, fretboard wise). Look at the guy from Nirvana Cobain who played rip off strats and he found a niche. The best thing you can do is find friends who like to play. Play their instruments or find a store who doesn't mind if you put in some time on different instruments etc to get a feel for what you like. Overated however I can't agree.
The only thing that can be overated is the service a company offers if it breaks. cuz it really sucks when your lone axe is in the shop for 6 months or they don't cover it under warranty and you shell at big bux. Otherwise it is up to the musician to make it sing. If one was clearly better than the other than than everyone from Hank to Hendrix would be playing (or would have played) the same thing! Anyway take it from someone who has played a ton of guitars(from the cheapest to the most expensive)
Unless you want to spend all your duckets on
gear look way further than just price as an upgrade criteria.
Bassfisherman88

Dude I think you gotta go with the american strat, there is a difference. If you want a different body style try a fender toronado or telecaster those kick ass. Stick with some sort of fender

I agree with the first dude, the toronado is great. It has a great feel and it is just awesome. look more into it.

: I've been playing guitar for 4 years (since I was ten). My parents had bought me a mexican fender strat. I want to get a better guitar but don't want to spend thousands on, say a les paul. Would it be worth upgrading to an American Strat or what other options would i have?

The choices today are endless, and there is a lot of good stuff to choose from (I know, I build custom electric guitars and basses).
If your style is limited to rock, the Strats have always been a great choice, as well as Les Pauls. PRS are great too. I favour Strats over Les Pauls,
but this is a personal thing and you usually know when you try the axe out. That's why I build custom guitars, because everybody seems to like
certain features of one guitar or another, and they all have their own flavor and sound. My guitars combine a little of Strat, a little of Les Paul, and little
of my own personal tastes. Oh, and if money's a problem, check out Washburn and Ibanez too.

And if you can go a bit higher, you might want to buy one of my axes !

Check out my web site at:

http://members.home.net/wilkatguitars/

Happy Hunting, Bill

Is my Martin for real?

Is my Martin for real?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Is my Martin for real?

Valuation

Hi, I wonder if anyone can give me an idea as to how much these are worth?

1963 Fender Telecaster - VGC + original case.
1967 Gretsch Black Hawk - again VGC with original case.

Thanks

Re: Valuation

Hi! I need a price for an AC30 copper top, no top boost
circa 64-67, good condition.

me and you and a dog named boo

does anyone know where I can find the chords for this song or can anyone tell me them? thanks

Re: me and you and a dog named boo

: does anyone know where I can find the chords for this song or can anyone tell me them? thanks

You'll find the chords to this song at Fretplay.com

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.