Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - November, 2001

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Pick Guard Removal

Um.... yeah i wanna know aswell. The guitarists from my band didnt know (im the drummer) but i think you just pull off the knobs, or... they come off with the pickguard.... i dunno: Hello- I have a medaira guitar.. accoutsic, and I am trying to remove and replace the pick guard. I have got all the stain off the guitar, and am ready to refinish. Before doing so, i wanted to get this thing off, and sand and stain under there. After the stain, I will want a new pickguard to put on. Can anyone detail how to remove the pickguard? and any precautions for reinstalling a new one? If so email me at jason@applesolutions.com.

: Thanks

Re: Pick Guard Removal

: Um.... yeah i wanna know aswell. The guitarists from my band didnt know (im the drummer) but i think you just pull off the knobs, or... they come off with the pickguard.... i dunno: Hello- I have a medaira guitar.. accoutsic, and I am trying to remove and replace the pick guard. I have got all the stain off the guitar, and am ready to refinish. Before doing so, i wanted to get this thing off, and sand and stain under there. After the stain, I will want a new pickguard to put on. Can anyone detail how to remove the pickguard? and any precautions for reinstalling a new one? If so email me at jason@applesolutions.com.

: : Thanks

Hi, You might try useing a hand held blow dryer (hair dryer). Using light strokes back and forth, you can loosen the glue underneath. Don't let the dryer sit to long in one spot. Just keep working it, and eventually it will loosen enough for you to get a very thin putty knife under it! Do not force the knife. You might want to perform this operation, while you are heating the pick guard, because, as soon as you release the heat, it may become more difficult to remove the pickgaurd. Whatever you do, don't force it! Use patience, and your efforts will be rewarded! Hope i helped you?...Jerry

How Electric Guitars Work

I'm doing a report in school on how electric guitars work. Can someone e-mail me or give me a site telling me a bit about the subject?

Re: How Electric Guitars Work

: I'm doing a report in school on how electric guitars work. Can someone e-mail me or give me a site telling me a bit about the subject?

: : I'm doing a report in school on how electric guitars work. Can someone e-mail me or give me a site telling me a bit about the subject?

: : : I'm doing a report in school on how electric guitars work. Can someone e-mail me or give me a site telling me a bit about the subject?

howstuffworks.com

: I'm doing a report in school on how electric guitars work. Can someone e-mail me or give me a site telling me a bit about the subject? Need A.S.A.P!

: I'm doing a report in school on how electric guitars work. Can someone e-mail me or give me a site telling me a bit about the subject? I need help please

: I'm doing a report in school on how electric guitars work. Can someone e-mail me or give me a site telling me a bit about the subject?

: : I'm doing a report in school on how electric guitars work. Can someone e-mail me or give me a site telling me a bit about the subject? other than www.howstuffworks.com

PARLOR GUITAR

I HAVE A ROSEWOOD WASHBURN MARKED 1897 NEW MODEL. ITS A SMALL PARLOR GUITAR. WHAT IS KNOWN ABOUT THESE?

squier strat

i recently decided to take a cheap squier strat apart and refinish it. the finish is fine... but i had to take the guts out to do it right, and in the process i had forgotten how it went back together. i think i may have a ground wire in the wrong location because i get a real twangy sound all the time and the selector switch has basically no function. does anyone have a wiring diagram for one of these?

Re: squier strat

: i recently decided to take a cheap squier strat apart and refinish it. the finish is fine... but i had to take the guts out to do it right, and in the process i had forgotten how it went back together. i think i may have a ground wire in the wrong location because i get a real twangy sound all the time and the selector switch has basically no function. does anyone have a wiring diagram for one of these?

Sounds like you reversed the wires and are out of phase. If your selector switch isn't working, you'll need to see what you
did wrong, as you obviously bypassed the switch or something. Seymour Duncan's site has a lot of great wiring diagrams that
should help you out. Don't currently have one on my web site (only one for a Strat style pick-up modification which might help).

Check it out at:

http://members.home.net/wilkatguitars/

Good Luck, Bill

Hi Chad,

I am currently doing the same thing to a Second hand strat I bought.
The wiring is straight forward (for me anyway as I am an electronics tech).
Basically the three pickups earth/shield wires terminate on the volume control body which is also the ground for the tone controls and output connector.
The 5 way switch selects the pickups and they connect to the 3 terminals at one end of the switch.
The single terminal in the middle of the switch feeds one end of the volume control.
It might be easier to send you a photo.

You stupid bastard.

Old Electric?

I was wondering if someone could help me. My son was given an old electric guitar. It has no manufacturers marking on it. It is a hollow body (2 F holes), two pickups, 2 black switches on the pick guard, 1 tone and 1 volume knob, sunburst, and a massive whammy bar on a spring. I am new to the guitar world so any help on what type it may be would be great! The only number on it is a small label on the back of the neck where the neck and body meet. The number is "EA 301 T". Im guessing it is an old mail order type, but who knows! Please email me with any information. acorbett@sterling-usa.com

Re: Old Electric?

I only know of two manufacturers of electric guitars who have EA models. They are Epiphone and Washburn. If it isn't either of them, I think you'll probably find that it is a ( virtually ) unheard of company and might be extremely difficult or ( if they are no longer operating ) impossible to track down. Good luck with the search anyway. It's an interesting one.

e-h "holy grail" reverb pedal

Anyone checked out the e-h "holy grail" reverb pedal? I have a great old Princeton -- without reverb -- and am looking for a cheap, easy source of 'verb.

Thanks!

string this competition

People from the UK can't enter. That's very unfair.

Les Paul's--which one

I am seriously thinking about buying a Les Paul. How do you pick which one? What do you need to know and think about before selecting? The issues I am thinking of have to do with neck size (classic has a 59 slim taper, others are bigger) and pickups (the variations between the different models). Is the slim taper neck too weak? What about the ceramic pickups? What issues have come up with owners?

Re: Les Paul's--which one

I'm not too familiar with the current models. I did many, many years ago buy a new Custom
nick-named the "fretless wonder" because if its very low profile frets. It was fine for jazz, but
I had to have the frets replaced with jumbos to play rock and blues. I don't know if this is still
a consideration, though.

: I am seriously thinking about buying a Les Paul. How do you pick which one? What do you need to know and think about before selecting? The issues I am thinking of have to do with neck size (classic has a 59 slim taper, others are bigger) and pickups (the variations between the different models). Is the slim taper neck too weak? What about the ceramic pickups? What issues have come up with owners?

The questions you raise are a matter of personal preference. Best thing to do is go to a shop and try them all, there are big differences between individual guitars of the same model. Choose the one you like best. Check out some of the cheaper copies at the same time, you might get a surprise.

: I am seriously thinking about buying a Les Paul. How do you pick which one? What do you need to know and think about before selecting? The issues I am thinking of have to do with neck size (classic has a 59 slim taper, others are bigger) and pickups (the variations between the different models). Is the slim taper neck too weak? What about the ceramic pickups? What issues have come up with owners?

I've owned several LP's (custom, std, studio) and wish I could get a few more. If it's raw Paul power sound you're after I'd check out the "no frills" Studio models ... mine gives all the bang for much less buck. Also, check out the higher end Epiphone LP's (close your eye's and you can't tell the diff). As far as pick-ups, the 490/498 humbuckers scream. Hell, they're all good.

If you are getting a Les Paul, I suggest trying to find a HONDO Les Paul that was made in Japan in the 70s or early 80s, they are quite popular, which makes them hard to find, but thew were the best playing Les Pauls

Black 81 Guild DeArmond S-70

What does anyone know about this guitar? I have one adn can learn nothing about this sweet machine.

Re: Black 81 Guild DeArmond S-70

: What does anyone know about this guitar? I have one adn can learn nothing about this sweet machine.

Re: Black 81 Guild DeArmond S-70

: : What does anyone know about this guitar? I have one adn can learn nothing about this sweet machine.

titties!

Fender or Yamaha ?

Hi,

I'm a student wanting to learn how to play guitar, so I don't have much money to spend (around $500) and I was just wondering which brand of guitar is generally better in quality, Fender or Yamaha ?

I heard that some of the Squire's assembled in Mexico are inferior in quality, is this true ?

thanks.

Fender!

Fenders are cool. Personally i think that the sound of Yamahas isnt so good, but its subjective...
Check out as many other guitar makes as you can before you buy, Fender and Yamaha aren't the only ones!

I would go with a real Fender ( USA made) NT

NT

Re: Fender or Yamaha ?

: Hi,

: I'm a student wanting to learn how to play guitar, so I don't have much money to spend (around $500) and I was just wondering which brand of guitar is generally better in quality, Fender or Yamaha ?

: I heard that some of the Squire's assembled in Mexico are inferior in quality, is this true ?

: thanks.

Squires aren't made in Mexico, they're made in Korea or Taiwan can't remember which. They're absolute crap so steer clear of them.
You're better off buying a used Made in USA Fender. Made in Mexico is good too. I've got a MIM Tele and it's superior to my MIA Tele so figure that.
If you want to go Yamaha or Ibanez make sure you're buying a made in Japan model. The Koreans make excellent instruments but the Japanese are better at it.
Squire Strats are like Epiphone Les Pauls the only similarity is the name and the shape and that's where the similarity ends. Generally they're crap.
Off course I'm speaking in general terms and there are always exceptions.

Re: Fender or Yamaha ?

Definitley Yamaha, and the mexican and american fenders, in my opinion, are not as good as the japanese or korean ones

Metallica Ibanez for sale! Real Cheap!

Hey great Metallica Ibanez Guitar for sale check it out at
http://www.geocities.com/nrikneo2001/sexdrugsandheavymetal.html

Re: Metallica Ibanez for sale! Real Cheap!

click below for Ibanez

Takamine en12 c12

I am looking for a takamine en12 c12.

Anyone know where I can find one. Not made this year and I am not finding it on the web.

KJS

Re: Takamine en12 c12

Just seen your search for a ENC12-C did you ever find one?

KAY guitar

I`ve a KAY Guitar don`t know for sure what year can`t find any numbers on it the neck has pearl looking in laydown the fret wide band type

KAY guitar

I`ve a KAY Guitar don`t know for sure what year can`t find any numbers on it the neck has pearl looking in lay down the frets wide band type

Re: KAY guitar

: I`ve a KAY Guitar don`t know for sure what year can`t find any numbers on it the neck has pearl looking in lay down the frets wide band type

i also have a kay and have had extreme dificulty tracking down the year.i looked in the neck cavity for a number and found the number 562.it means nothing.no such # in any blue book i have looked through.#'s on pots were meaningless also.ive searched endlessly on the internet for a picture of the same guitar.ive come close but havent found the same guitar. i have however narrowed it down to a 1965 thinline kay . things that were helpful in doing this were
-shape of headstock
-type of logo used
-type of pick up casings
-type of tail piece/tremolo
-color
-made in usa-made in japan
the shape of the headstock was key for mine.
the particular shape was only used from 60 to 65

i actually contacted the kay company on the phone and discovered they are no longer a company. for reasons i dont understand and didnt bother to have them explain they still have an office and the people who i spoke to new nothing about kay guitars.what???? just keep comparing features and you can probably narrow it down
or maybe even find the guitar.i dont think there is any other way."serious" guitar people just dont seem very interested in kay guitars. FOOLS.
GoodLuck

Where can I find DAVE UHRICH Tabs??

Just curious!

Any help would be appreciated!
Paul

rewiring an Ibanez gb10

Hi fellow guitarist,

I would like to know if anyone out there could tell me how to rewire my Ibanez GB10 guitar in simple layman terms? Simple wiring diagram would be appreciated too.
Thanks.

Looking for a good steel amp

I am looking for a good, used Peavey Nashville 1000. Just can't afford a new one. Let me know.

Do you get what you pay for?

Hi there, I'm thinking about getting my boyfriend an electric guitar for Christmas, but I don't know anything about guitars... I checked musicians friend and saw that they had some under 200$ (which sounds great for me considering my tiny salary), but I'm worried he's going to think it's a crappy guitar. What's the lowest I should spend? He plays guitar, but not professionally and not all the time.. just for fun. Any advice on what I should get him? Currently he has an acoustic guitar.

Re: Do you get what you pay for?

economy electrics are often good little guitars. my Encore KC3 is a perfectly good instrument. it sounds good and is comfy to play.
of course it's not as good as my Gibson SG Standard, but for £90ish rather than £760, i would be disappointed if it was the same quality.
the quality of a cheap electric is going to be better than a cheap acoustic. the fender squiers are supposed to be very good.
xxxxxxxx
Molklone

fender squire stagemaster!!! great 1st electric or and ibanez! If he loves you no mater what you give He will be Happy! Good Luck!

Unfortunately, some of the best guitars out there cost 200 bucks and some of the crappiest cost thousands just because they have a certain name sticker on them. The best way to buh a guitar is to have the one who is going to play it play it.
No you don't get what you pay for. Often what youa re paying for is a name or expensive advertising rathr than quality workmanship. We make guitars in THE U S no better than we make cars.

korg ax1g input power

I am currently using battery power and want to convert to rectified AC. Anybody know the max current rating?

Re: korg ax1g input power

I am using a 9.6 volt 200 miliamp BOSS wall wart for mine

Re: korg ax1g input power

hi greg:I am using a 9 volt 2 amp manufactured by miself.

jacksoproguitar

I had purchased a jackson pro model guitar several years ago
(6 or so)and I have no Idea what exact model it is.
It was my first new guitar purchase as a teenager and I payed a ton of money for it(>$700) ....considering what I believe it was actually worth I may have been ripped off by Fordelley's in Champion OH.
Anyway I want to sell it and don't know the model and have no literature on it. The serial # is 601458 and
it is a 24 fret, purplish pink translucent (rad) finish,rosewood fretboard, dot inlays, normal neck(not reverse), floyd rose patented locking trem, humbucker(neck)...single coil...Humbucker(bridge) etc etc..
If anyone thinks they can enlighten me feel free. From my understanding the "Professional" model is used to describe several different actual models.
Thank you Bassfisherman 88

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.