Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - January, 2002

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: METALLICASH

well. comments like that make me pretty glad im australian. you dis your country, dis music, and basicaly dis anyone who is a guitarist. there is a big difference between being a guitarist and a guitar player.

I am also glad that you're an australian.......

: I think we all have the right to voice our opinion, and I agree with bite me.

RIGHT ON-BROTHER

where can i find info

ive been playing acoustic guitar for a year and a half. i want to buy an electric guitar now but i dont know anything at all! please help and tell me where i can find a basic guide online or otherwise

Re: where can i find info

i have an ibanez RG520qs that is one hell of a guitar for the price-i play it more than my $3k les paul custom because it stays in tune under heavy punishment sessions...:) i think musicians' friend .com usually have pretty descent prices-but carry limited gear-i've heard good things about the cheaper ibanez models,as well- i love mine.........

Well, what sort of music are you in to? For metal - Ibanez, Jackson, ESP, B.C. Rich, Washburn, and Les Pauls all work great. A bit spendy though. If you're going for a Jimi Hendix, Eddie Van Halen, or bluesy type - get a "super" Fender Strat - like a "Stagemaster Series". Fenders usually work great for anything other than metal, but you can never go wrong with a Les Paul!

he forgot to tell you that les pauls are a pain in the ass to keep in tune-go with a double locking ibanez with an "edge" tremolo if you can afford it-if not,then just get the cheapest one you can...:)

: ive been playing acoustic guitar for a year and a half. i want to buy an electric guitar now but i dont know anything at all! please help and tell me where i can find a basic guide online or otherwise

Buyers guide:
http://www.guitarsearcher.com

take no short cuts, they'll cost ya...just go on ebay and buy a fender strat ultra or at least a strat plus. you'll keep it forever.

metal sound

What are the best tube amps and preamps, effects and
pick ups ( Duncan Invader?) for metal sound?

Re: metal sound

this is a highly debatable subject which could take manymanymany pages to answer/..:).....it depends on the listener really for tonal preferences-but basically-marshall jcm 800's--mesa dual/triple recto's/diezel:)/ and i've heard alot of good things about the laney vh100r head.......

Stay away from the Duncan Invaders! They tend to have too much bottom and turn to mush at high volumes. Invaders have too much output.
I would suggest looking into the Carvin M22V...not the M22SD.Good tone and awesome power for a passive pickup.
Good Luck

personaly i realy dont like marshal heads for metal, stick with mesa and laney. EMG 81 is the ultimate metal pickup. If you want that killer metal sound, get a graphic EQ, and turn down the 400hz band pretty much all the way, and take a fair chunk out of the mid on your amp too.

I just bought an EMG-81. I need to get some hardware before I can install it. I am looking for the right sound and read that Metallica and Slayer use EMG, so without trying out one out I just bought it. I play on a Fender amp through a Boss GT-6 Effects Processor. I don't quite understand my technological stuff yet. Am I going to be able to get a good sound out of the EMG-81 with the gear I have?

survey

who's better. Shakira, or Britney

Re: survey

Britney has got more juicy legs

Gfx 707, Me 30 or ax100g ?????????????????????????

any ideas guys, which one is better, right now i'm heading for the gfx until i can afford real pedals...just planning to do a few small gigs...

Re: Gfx 707, Me 30 or ax100g ?????????????????????????

if you can afford ax100g, go for it, it's better than gfx707 and me30

: any ideas guys, which one is better, right now i'm heading for the gfx until i can afford real pedals...just planning to do a few small gigs...

Fender accoustic model DG17-m problems!!!!! HELP ME!!!!!

Hi all, I boough a fenderDG17-M model s/n 90904566 on the head a 50th anniversary gold logo with red lettering of fender, made in Korea replica I cannot find this guitar anywhere on the web!!, I have problems with frets 14-20 like twanging sound non playable!!, please help or suggest what I can do!!??, I have replaced the strings with d`adarrio phos custom light , checked the nut and stuff, dont know what to do???, plus has anyone heard of this model or is it a crap copy??, please help an absolute beginner!!!

Amps questions...

See the nick - do not laugh at the questions plzzzz... :)
1) What determines the Strength of the amp (max volume)....is it Watts.
2) What kinda amp do u need to give a concert in ahall at my scool....(kinda big place - i want to ROCK it all)
3) Anything interesting on different amps (Marshall? fender? Crate etc....whats the differece in quality etc)
Plzzzzz answer as ewasy as possibly....my nick says it all... Thanks

Re: Amps questions...

A Fender Twin or a Roland JC-120 is all you need to rock an auditorium! Marshall's are cool,but Twins(combo)have a warmer,beefier sound.JC-120's tend to be kinda bright,so watch the Treble level.
My Twins and I have sliced and diced many auditoriums!
Good Luck

interM amps were can i get them

: See the nick - do not laugh at the questions plzzzz... :)
: 1) What determines the Strength of the amp (max volume)....is it Watts.
: 2) What kinda amp do u need to give a concert in ahall at my scool....(kinda big place - i want to ROCK it all)
: 3) Anything interesting on different amps (Marshall? fender? Crate etc....whats the differece in quality etc)
: Plzzzzz answer as ewasy as possibly....my nick says it all... Thanks

Is there any real difference between these 2 Fenders?

Is there any difference between a 1960 reissue Amercian Fender Strat and your average strat you find, besides looks? I put a 60 reissue in the lay-a-way, it was $535 when a regular strat was like $350, am I paying an extra $200 for looks alone? Would it had been smarter just to get a Les Paul Jr since theirs only like a $70 price difference? Thanks for the help.

Re: Is there any real difference between these 2 Fenders?

its funny...My dad was so fond of my insanity to the music he bought me a Fender Strat - American made...These are the expensive once ure talkin about...
the cheaper ones are made in Chine, Korea...basically no difference, its because the work in America is more expensive, and the other countries its cheap to make...but u can feel the difference if u are into it... I played a Strat - exact copy...don remember where it was made, though, but after i tried american - fuck - i cant explane the joy...its a perfect being... well thats my opinion...me mom never understood why spent 200 bucks more on the same thing....but if u do not give a damn what it has on the back of it u better of with the cheaper one....but american are more valuable and with time they become collectibles, their value increasses - i ve seen on the inet strats for over two thousend bucks - VINTAGE :))) hope this helps...

: Fender USA strat is completely different guitar than strats made in Mexico, Japan, Korea...
Pick ups, bridges, tuners for example are much, much better In USA strat. I strongly recommend to buy a american made strat.

: Is there any difference between a 1960 reissue Amercian Fender Strat and your average strat you find, besides looks? I put a 60 reissue in the lay-a-way, it was $535 when a regular strat was like $350, am I paying an extra $200 for looks alone? Would it had been smarter just to get a Les Paul Jr since theirs only like a $70 price difference? Thanks for the help.
NO, THERE IS NO REAL DIFFERENCE---THEY ARE BOTH CHEAP ASS GUITARS!!! DOES'NT MATTER WHICH ONE YOU BOUGHT--- IN A SHORT TIME THE PICKUP MAGNETS AND HARDWARE WILL START TO RUST, THE NECK WILL TWEAK AND YOU WILL EXPERIENCE STRANGE STRING BUZZING. YOU CAN, HOWEVER, BUY A USED AMERICAN VINTAGE SERIES '62 REISSUE FOR BETWEEN 600.00-- 8OO.OO. IT,S WORTH THE EXTRA CASH AND WILL RETAIN A GOOD TRADE IN VALUE--YOU WILL LOOSE YOUR ASS TRYING TO TRADE IN A CHEAPO STRAT INPORT.

Guitar slingin' blues women

Who are the best guitar slingin' blues women.

Re: Guitar slingin' blues women

As far as I know...Bonnie Raitt and Barbara Mendrell. They're maybe others...I don't know.

There's many more, Check it out at www.dirtyblues.com But I did not know Barbara Mendrell. Thanks.

Barbara Mendrell is country vocal. Nothing to do with guitar slingin' women.

Re: Saw her on an "Awards"show.I was very suprised !

Barbara Mandrell is mostly known as a vocalist.But I saw her pick guitar while another guy fingered the fretboard.She fingered the other fretboard while the guy picked his guitar! This was some Awards show I saw years back...SMOKIN'!!
P.S.I didn't dream it.

I think Rory Block is awesome, but she is more country/delta blues.

: Who are the best guitar slingin' blues women. If you want contemporary information try lady6string.com

firehouse guitar tabs/chords

Looking for guitar tabs for Firehouse "Dont treat me bad" thanks

Re: firehouse guitar tabs/chords

: Looking for guitar tabs for Firehouse "Dont treat me bad" I AM SEARCHING FOR IT SINCE SEVERAL MONTHS IM PERUVIAN .THANKS

: Looking for guitar tabs for Firehouse "when I look into your eyes" thanks

: Looking for guitar tabs for Firehouse "Trying to make a Living" thanks

If you have them, email me at thegame106268@yahoo.com

: Looking for guitar tabs for Firehouse "Reach for the sky" thanks

Re: firehouse guitar tabs love of a lifetime

: Looking for guitar tabs for Firehouse "love of a lifetime" thanks

: Looking for guitar tabs for Firehouse "love of a lifetime" thanks

: Looking for guitar tabs for Firehouse "when i look into your eyes" thanks

: Looking for guitar tabs for Firehouse "i live my life for you" thanks

love dont care tabs ???

: Looking for guitar tabs for Firehouse "love dont care" thanks

: Looking for guitar tabs for Firehouse "Dont treat me bad, and also bringing me down tab and chords of that song" please... thanks

HELP

I HAVE NO MONEY BUT NEED A GOOD GUITAR
HELP ME PLEASE

Re: HELP

Sorry...can't help ya' dude.

Sorry...can't help ya' dude.

you got a street corner?.........LOL

mmmmm the word larceny comes to mind first... but I would never suggest that... then begging and borrowing next... mmmm maybe you should do vocals till you save up.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2018 , All Rights Reserved.