Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - March, 2002

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Good question, but....

: Hi Mary,

: I'll try to help as much as I can. I am asuming that the guitar that you are "eyeing" is new or at least not 15 to 20 years old. Basically, if that is the case, the acoustic that you are looking at works exactly the same as your electric guitar. You'll notice some differences like a greater chance for feedback at higher volume levels, less change with your tone knob, and a bit of "over-ringing" due to the fact that it is an acoustic. Otherwise, all you have to do is plug it in and go.

: There are a huge number of differences in acoustics though. Over 50% of the acoustics out there are crappola. If you are a "newbie", be careful. Music stores and Ebay auction people prey on "newbies". To them, it is "easy money". If you have ANY questions at all, please feel free to email me and I'll be happy to help out. Okay? It's better to ask a simple question than to throw a few hundred bucks away needlessly. :-)

: DALE
I am a newbie and am going to buy either an electric/acoustic or a regular acoustic. Can you point me in the right direction, along with a few sugestions of both types? Thanks

Re: Acoustic/Electric Guitar question from a total newbie

: Hello! I was thinking of buying an acoustic/electric guitar in addition to my normal electric guitar. The model I am eyeing up comes with a pick-up mike, and I already have an amp from my electric guitar. Do I need to buy anything else for it? Thanks!I.LL buy a little acostick morgan,whith mic,volom,tonr...beutiful...and belive me,you gonna be surprised..and so cheap,really liove it,try one..

Recommendations for a good Hollowbody

Anyone know of a really good hollowbody guitar? I love the Epiphone dots but the body is so large, I am lookin' for something about the size of a fender or PRS body? Anyone? Thanks

BEWARE:: DON'T buy from AMPHEAVEN or TONEHEAVEN

: DON'T buy from AMPHEAVEN or TONEHEAVEN

This popular thread has been given its own page : BEWARE:: DON'T buy from AMPHEAVEN or TONEHEAVEN

Schematic print for Dean Markley Modular Amp

I am looking for a schematic Daimgram for an old 1980's Dean Markley amp. Any info that anyone can get me will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Schematic print for Dean Markley Modular Amp

: I am looking for a schematic Daimgram for an old 1980's Dean Markley amp. Any info that anyone can get me will be greatly appreciated.

<<Try the following link!>>

I am looking for a 1970's - 1980's Washburn Falcon

I am looking for a Washburn Falcon made in the 1970's or '80's If you have one for sale please contact me.

Re: I am looking for a 1980's micropones

: I am looking for a 80's micorphonesfor a show call "the larmie project" I NEED to know what one wood look like if it was form the u.s.a If you have one for that looks like it. if i could a picture of it please contact me. A.S.A.P

Re: I am looking for a 1970's - 1980's Washburn Falcon

I´ve got one, it´s the type nazareth played with right? I´ve pics for you if you are interested...

Need a BASS?

hey. i am selling a bass. the site is http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1521747773

Acoustic/Electric problem

I've just bought an acoustic guitar, Ibanez AW 15 CE, and it seems to me that is a little dificult to play on it. I mean, the strings are a little too tight, and the action can be adjusted to be lower. Oh, and I think that pick-up doesn't pick very good the high E string. Can this be fixed?

dioan acutiic guitar

hi need information on this breed of guitar are they hand made value history on how where what when. this guitar is in mint condition if anyone can inlighten me i would really apprecaite the help. please email me at gemma@cablelan.net thanks

Looking for Wholesaler

We are a new business that carries bagpipes and celtic instruments. We are looking for a wholesaler of bouzouki's and octave mandolin's Anybody out there that can help? Patrick

Re: Looking for Wholesaler

: We are a new business that carries bagpipes and celtic instruments. We are looking for a wholesaler of bouzouki's and octave mandolin's Anybody out there that can help? Patrick

try http://www.mid-east.com

action on les paul compared to strat

which do you think has better action

Re: action on les paul compared to strat

the les paul is capable of a much lower action due to its fingerboard radius (12" approx) as apposed to a strat which is about 7.25" vintage strats (approx) and 9.5" on the modern strats. The lower the action the easier it is to play but some say you lose a bit of tone, and i have noticed a lower action results in a loss off volume.

The LP can usually be set lower (reasons as described in the post by Tom), and you can also put a neck of your choice on a strat. Stock I prefer the LP and can just play alot 'faster' on one, and I find tapping and stuff easier. Depends on what feels right to you, I like about 1/8" at the 12th fret w/.11's and you can get that on pretty much any guitar, and I find the lower I go the more I have to ease my attack, especially playing up the neck, and I happen to have a heavey hand so I stay with a medium setup.

: which do you think has better action

: which do you think has better action. i don't know, jorge---which do you think has better action? DUH!!!!!

: which do you think has better action. i don't know, jorge---which do you think has better action? DUH!!!!!

Creed chords

Greetings.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions if I may.
First. I'm actually a heavy metal drummer from the 60's and 70's that has put away my trap about 15 years ago.
A few years ago my musical flame started to re-ignite. I really wanted to get back into music, but was now looking at guitar. Never played guitar in my bands, as I was completely possessed with the drums. I've been playing a little over a year, and found Creed's new song "Don't stop dancing" to completely possess my sole.
My question is, I see a lot of tab out there for "My Sacrifice" and some for "Don't stop dancing" to be drop D tuning.
Does Creed use any or a lot of drop D?
Second. I found one tab for "Don't stop dancing" written in standard tuning. The tab is pretty accurate, but I cannot seem to get the ring for one slash cord "D/C#" to sound the same. The closest I find it an "A5
."
G5 D5 D/C#
Children don't stop dancing
C5 G5 D5
Believe you can fly
D/C# C5

Can anyone set me straight?

drummerman

Re: Creed chords

I'd like to help you with creed chords, but I'm too busy to figure out chords for myself.
I just want to say that a lot of guitar is now in drop D so you better get use to tuning. And if you like Creed you'll love TOOL. In my opinion Tool is the best band playing today, once you've got the hang of guitar this could be you next great challenge.

Re: Creed chords

wassup? i'm Maximous from athens. i'm a rock fan of creed. i would like to know some chords of their songs.

emgs

What kind of emgs should i get?Im leaning towards emg 81s

Re: emgs

: What kind of emgs should i get?Im leaning towards emg 81s

definitly EMGs i have an 81 in the b/position&85 in the neck.and they are hot as hell. i should of got 2 81s do it man!!!!

12 string tuning

12 string tuning

This popular thread has been given its own page : 12 string tuning

Chosing pickup! Seymour Duncan Custom SH-5

I have a modified Marshall with lots of mid and gain. I need a pickup with a PAFish sound but "hotter". I use a Gibson Classic 57 Plus on my Les Paul and a DiMarzio PAF Pro on my Ibanez (Basswoodbody) on they have a good clean, distinct sound with a bit of punch. I have now required a Epiphone Explorer and I´m looking for a suiting pickup. I´ve heard a lot about the SH-5 but never tried it. What´s it like, compared to the ones i´ve mentioned? Since my amp has all the gain i want, i need a pickup with a clear, clean sound with balls! I don´t want a pickup with too much mid, cause i have the mid control on my amp on "zero". Don´t need more. Please, send me an email if you can help me clear my thoughts on the SH-5.

Re: Chosing pickup! Seymour Duncan Custom SH-5

try a seymore duncan "ALAN HOLDSWORTH" if you can find one, it has real clarity and you can here every note of every string. it also has amazing sustain (and its not a high gain pickup). good luck. tom

try a seymore duncan "ALAN HOLDSWORTH" if you can find one, it has real clarity and you can here every note of every string. it also has amazing sustain (and its not a high gain pickup). good luck. tom

The Seymore SH-5,I think,is an excellent choice.It's output is about 14.5k ohms,which is considered not too high output.I have them in 3 axes,including my '77 Les Paul(lead).The tone is sweet,but when cranked,it'll hand out some decent ass-whooping! And at high volumes,it keep it's tone.I've been using them for about 20yrs.
Good Luck

I Need Help with basic setups on bc warlock bronze series one piece bridge.

I got problems with the truss rod.I just can't have low strings without fret buzzing.Tell me the
measurements if you know.Please help me.

Re: I Need Help with basic setups on bc warlock bronze series one piece bridge.

check the pickups they could be too high.

You may need to raise the bridge a little.

File down the nut.

JB, '59 vs. Antiquity

I've recently ordered a Tokai SG, and will soon want to replace it's stock pickups (unless they happen to be exceptional). I'll either be throwing in a JB and a '59, or else two JB's, or two Antiquities. I've heard that Antiquities are amazing, but they are also very expensive and hard to get where I'm situated. Would I be just as well off to throw in the newer/cheaper/more available pickups?

Backing Tracks

I'm looking for Santana backing tracks. If anyone has or knows where i can get it please info me. Thx.

Re: Backing Tracks

: I'm looking for Santana backing tracks. If anyone has or knows where i can get it please info me. Thx.

I´m looking for samba pati backing track with no lead guitar.It is possible I pay for that.
Thank you

Guitar Repair

Guitar Repair

This popular thread has been given its own page : Guitar Repair

Newbie needs help hooking up effects + other ?s!!

i'm a new player and have lots of questions, if there's anyone out there willing to help me out. first, i have zero knowledge about how to work with effects pedals. id like to, though, so i bought some on ebay used, and they didnt come with manuals. can anyone help me out with how to hook everything up? i bought 3 Boss pedals - DS1, CH1, and DD3. id like not to have to use batteries on them, but they didnt come with adapters. the person i bought them from threw in two free things called pedal cable couplers, and i have several instrument cables. Do I need to buy an adapter for each pedal, or is there some way to get power to all of them without doing that? I was also considering buying a Vox wah pedal - would i be able to hook that up with the Boss ones? Finally, what kind of strings do i use if i'm trying for a 1960's-ish jangly sound? Thanks!

Re: Newbie needs help hooking up effects + other ?s!!

: i'm a new player and have lots of questions, if there's anyone out there willing to help me out. first, i have zero knowledge about how to work with effects pedals. id like to, though, so i bought some on ebay used, and they didnt come with manuals. can anyone help me out with how to hook everything up? i ch-1 ddch-1bought 3 Boss pedals - DS1, CH1, and DD3. id like not to have to use batteries on them, but they didnt come with adapters. the person i bought them from threw in two free things called pedal cable couplers, and i have several instrument cables. Do I need to buy an adapter for each pedal, or is there some way to get power to all of them without doing that? I was also considering buying a Vox wah pedal - would i be able to hook that up with the Boss ones? Finally, what kind of strings do i use if i'm trying for a 1960's-ish jangly sound? Thanks!-------WOW! o.k. first know this- there is no right way to do this. it's a subjective thing, and calls for experience to know what type of sound you are going for. that said, here is the traditional set-up. ds-1,
ch-1, dd-3. you want to get your basic lead tone from the ds-1, and then add the candy. if i were you , i would put the wah in front of the ds-1] i would rather o.d. the wah than wah the o.d.. if you had one adapter, you could utilize the couplers. to do this, you would need a boss pedal, such as a tu120, to distribute the power to the other pedals. as for as strings---man it's like everything else---whatever works!! and you can't go wrong with a vox wah!

Re: Newbie needs help hooking up effects + other ?s!!

hehe- i only just saw that awful mis-typed line in my first post...
i appreciate your advice :) everyone tells me that too - that it's just whatever works & youve gotta try stuff out, but it seemed a little overwhelming & i needed a rough area to start. Thanks for being the first to give a good straight answer!

:WOW! o.k. first know this- there is no right way to do this. it's a subjective thing, and calls for experience to know what type of sound you are going for. that said, here is the traditional set-up. ds-1,
: ch-1, dd-3. you want to get your basic lead tone from the ds-1, and then add the candy. if i were you , i would put the wah in front of the ds-1] i would rather o.d. the wah than wah the o.d.. if you had one adapter, you could utilize the couplers. to do this, you would need a boss pedal, such as a tu120, to distribute the power to the other pedals. as for as strings---man it's like everything else---whatever works!! and you can't go wrong with a vox wah!

Samick a good brand??

I´m plannig to buy an electric guitar! so I would like to know if you consider SAMICK as a good guitar brand!!
thanks for replying!

Kind of a relative question.....

Alright Javier, here's the best answer that I can give you...

Samick is a Japanese company that makes guitars for a number of companies. They supply Gibson and a few others with their "lower" quality instruments. After building up their share in that market, Samick started putting their own name on a few models.

Is it a good guitar? Well, that kind of depends on what you are looking for. If you are just starting out, then it'll do the job. But if you are half-way decent, then the answer is no. It's kind of like asking if Burger King is good food. It's true that it is food and it may be "good" if you are starving, but it is certainly not the best out there.

And just to let you know, for a very fine guitar, you will need to REALLY REALLY search high and low. Try checking out a guy by the name of ED ROMAN. His web site offers a lot of help on everything under the sun concerning guitars. He is especially helpful when it comes to looking at guitars in some of the mega music stores, on the web, or on auction sites like EBay. Whatever you do, read his "rant" section on Ebay before you bid one penny. It is a real "eye opener".

My advice would be to go slowly, figure out how nice of a guitar that you realistically need, and then don't expect much. It took me over a year and a half of searching across the country to find a decent acoustic. There is a lot of crappola out there and twice as many buttheads who claim one thing, but deliver something altogether different. It's sad, but very very true.

Good luck.

Re: Samick a good brand??

: I´m plannig to buy an electric guitar! so I would like to know if you consider SAMICK as a good guitar brand!!
: thanks for replying!

hello..well,igot a samick,el guitar,made by custom pro shop,kind of expencive,6900nkr,..usual3-4000.i,dont like the sound off the mics,,terrible..and that floyd rose system..tui.But a cheap telecaster comy,or les paul...BEUTIFOL..SAMICK AT THE BEST.

56 duosonic...whats it worth?

i have a 1956 duosonic desert sand with birdseye maple neck it is in mint condition along with the original case . Does anybody know what it is worth??

how much you want for it, bill?

i'd be happy to entertain a chance to sell it.

i meant BUY it (no coffee yet! ;)) (end)

(end)

Guitarist Wanted In Akron, Ohio

Hello all, I hope that you will forgive my intrusion... I am not a guitar player so I don't know if I am welcome here or not. Here's the deal, my band is looking for a guitarist to complete our vision. We are interested in someone is into doing something new and different, melodic and very heavy. We are influenced by bands such as Fates Warning, Queensryche, Nevermore, Godsmack and Tool just to name a few. Someone with the same influences would be cool but not neccesary, we are striving to put out originals after all. If you live in or around Akron, Ohio feel free to email me if you are interested.

Help!! (modes)

Could some one please email me material on how to use modes in blues rock soloing. Are there other scales other than the blues/pentatonic scales. I can use these scales well but are there other blues notes ? or alternative pentatonic blues scales?

fucked up broken piece of shit

i recently had some emgs installed in my explorer and when i went to clean it the volume knobs stopped working they just spin around continuously i opened the back to have a look and nothing seems the matter
what the fuck happened

Re: fucked up broken piece of shit

: i recently had some emgs installed in my explorer and when i went to clean it the volume knobs stopped working they just spin around continuously i opened the back to have a look and nothing seems the matter
: what the fuck happened

: : i recently had some emgs installed in my explorer and when i went to clean it the volume knobs stopped working they just spin around continuously i opened the back to have a look and nothing seems the matter
: : what the fuck happened!!!-----don't know. check the pot stem and see if it fits snugly into the volume knob. if not, take a flathead screwdriver and, very carefuly pry the top of it out so the knob fits snug--if this does'nt work, take it back to the dude that insatalled the pickups.

dude be patiant its nothin to worry about.jus go to yer local m/store,and get a new v/pot. or get ahold of emg dirrectly ...they might replace it

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.