Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - March, 2002

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Guitar effects Software

hi' i'm playing me guitar through the amp then to the mic socket on me laptop and wanted to know if and where i can get free guitar effects software? if there such a thing??

Re: Guitar effects Software

Go to <a href="http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/">THIS PAGE</a> and then click on the guitar software link.

: hi' i'm playing me guitar through the amp then to the mic socket on me laptop and wanted to know if and where i can get free guitar effects software? if there such a thing??

guitar

JIMI HENDRIX IS THE GREATEST, Dan- NOT jimmy page

Gibson Les Paul

I am selling my Gibson Les Paul Studio, year 2000, mint condition. Nothing wrong, I just purchased 3 guitars at once, and I tend to favor the Fender Strat. $800 US, firm. Interested? Email to above address.

a humdinger for a 1959 stratocaster

i am hoping someone can help me.

The Man who saved my life has a 1959 stratocaster...it sounds like Olympus but hums with every radio signal for counties...He has tried using foil to no avail. He needs a white humdinger like the one listed below. Groove Tubes has two humdingers left, but not in white.

Would you know where i could get one?

Any information you may have would be appreciated. Please email me at dvoceansecho@aol.com.

Gratefully,

faith

Humdinger

The Groove Tubes Humdinger replaces your plastic single-coil pickup cover with a nickel-plated brass cover and steel bottom booster plate. This simple, yet effective, product reduces hum and RF interference while creating a hotter, thicker tone from a single-coil pickup. It transforms a wimpy bridge pickup into a power bridge pickup and improves the balance to the other pickups. Requires no soldering!

HD Kit - white finish 30.00

Peavey T-15

Peavey T-15

This popular thread has been given its own page : Peavey T-15

conde hermanos

could any body tell me the difference between Conde Hermanos guitars(there are 2 shops which make this guitars),the quality of them and how can I know the difference between the models(becuse the models are not shown on the labels)would be helpful if you send me the picture of them .thank you

Big Gig and nervous as hell

we got a pretty big gig tomorrow (well not that big-were just startin and its our first), so i need advice on what to do before we go one, and while were on stage for just feelin comfortable and gettin in the grove. thanks alot

Re: Big Gig and nervous as hell

Don't get too worried about nerves. They're natural and can actually help you play better if you don't let them drag you down. Believe it or not, doing something as simple as having a couple of minutes alone before you play can be of help. Clear your mind of all the other stuff, do some slow deep breathing and remind yourself that you're there to have fun and hopefully entertain the crowd. Knocking back a few beers or a joint might be rock n roll but it's not going to help you if you've never played before. Best to avoid that or simply leave that beer until you're halfway through the gig. Make sure you know what you're doing during the set as well. What's your back-up if a string or two breaks? have you got spare leads etc? If you do your homework, you won't need to worry about that kind of thing. You can concentrate on playing. It also helps to get a few friends along to the show and encourage them to encourage you before you play. belive it or not, if you play a song and hear some yells of appreciation - it bloody helps. Even if you know it's your friends. Finally, accept the fact that you or one of the guys in your band will fuck up. Everyone does. Once again, don't let that get to you. Most punters don't pick up on it. They're there to have fun and forget their worries. You should too.

Hope this helps
Nobby

: we got a pretty big gig tomorrow (well not that big-were just startin and its our first), so i need advice on what to do before we go one, and while were on stage for just feelin comfortable and gettin in the grove. thanks alot

Re: Big Gig and nervous as hell

It'a all about fun... the other posts have good advice, defintely have a plan for the most common problems.. something will happen, and take a few min by yourself before going out, or get psyched with the rest of the band... depends on the type of person you are. As it's a first gig probally everyone will know it... play that up to the audience too. Also the advice below about drinking and smoking is right, a little to take the edge off is fine, but it won't help much your first time, don't depend on it, adrelin is the best stimulant/motivator... and very rarely when tou are f****d up do you sound good to anyone else than yourself, so just go out, have fun, kick some ass, get some too... that's what all that practice is for !

: we got a pretty big gig tomorrow (well not that big-were just startin and its our first), so i need advice on what to do before we go one, and while were on stage for just feelin comfortable and gettin in the grove. thanks alot

Advice Sought: Anyone here use MAGIX Studio Generation 5 recording software?

hi everyone. im looking for a recording software[affordable] to purchase. just for simple, elementary usage, as ive never used any before and really wouldnt even know where to begin.

i saw that Guitar Center is selling this particular MAGIX software for $9.99[a savings of $60]. have any of you used this software? just wondering if anyone would recommend it.. or would say to take it out of consideration and just go with something like Cakewalk for the extra $80.

please advise!

regards,
victor.

Re: Advice Sought: Anyone here use MAGIX Studio Generation 5 recording software?

For just really basic stuff w/a few bells and whistles I would start with cakewalk, and if you 'look' around I'am sure you can find a free download.

: hi everyone. im looking for a recording software[affordable] to purchase. just for simple, elementary usage, as ive never used any before and really wouldnt even know where to begin.

: i saw that Guitar Center is selling this particular MAGIX software for $9.99[a savings of $60]. have any of you used this software? just wondering if anyone would recommend it.. or would say to take it out of consideration and just go with something like Cakewalk for the extra $80.

: please advise!

: regards,
: victor.

Re: Advice Sought: Anyone here use MAGIX Studio Generation 5 recording software?

I use Magix Studio 5 and it's worth every dime. It let's you record, edit and effect your tracks. I bought this software because it was cheap. I had no idea it was so powerful. And it's pretty easy to use too.

: : hi everyone. im looking for a recording software[affordable] to purchase. just for simple, elementary usage, as ive never used any before and really wouldnt even know where to begin.

: : i saw that Guitar Center is selling this particular MAGIX software for $9.99[a savings of $60]. have any of you used this software? just wondering if anyone would recommend it.. or would say to take it out of consideration and just go with something like Cakewalk for the extra $80.

: : please advise!

: : regards,
: : victor.

: For just really basic stuff w/a few bells and whistles I would start with cakewalk, and if you 'look' around I'am sure you can find a free download.

: : hi everyone. im looking for a recording software[affordable] to purchase. just for simple, elementary usage, as ive never used any before and really wouldnt even know where to begin.

: : i saw that Guitar Center is selling this particular MAGIX software for $9.99[a savings of $60]. have any of you used this software? just wondering if anyone would recommend it.. or would say to take it out of consideration and just go with something like Cakewalk for the extra $80.

: : please advise!

: : regards,
: : victor.

ITs a great package. and for that price, don't pass it up. I had a guitar player who did stuio work come over and we tried it out with 4 tracks ...and it was pretty awesome.

T

intonation

.The G-string on my 88 studio les paul (red-wine maple-top) is always a bit out of tune. I set the intonation on it but its maxed out and still not perfect. Is it the truss-rod, or the height of the bridge n saddle?(wich is quite high because I like that no-buzz heavy -string groove.) Many thanx!

Re: intonation

If you set your intonation by using a particular frequency on all of the strings you should come out with good intonation on the neck no matter where you play, but if your saddles are slipping it'll get back out of wack real quick. Also check to make sure that your floyd rose or whatever you use is even at both ends and that your neck is straight. That may cause problems if you don't do all that before you tune for intonation...
: .The G-string on my 88 studio les paul (red-wine maple-top) is always a bit out of tune. I set the intonation on it but its maxed out and still not perfect. Is it the truss-rod, or the height of the bridge n saddle?(wich is quite high because I like that no-buzz heavy -string groove.) Many thanx!

bc rich warlock nj bass

Pleases can somebody tell me about his opinions with this bass Please send me an email

pickups

Hi everyone, i have a question for you: i'm about to buy a strat and i wonder about the difference between the noiseless, standard or texas special pickups, any advices out there?

Re: pickups

Hello,

I strictly use Strats, and I prefer the Texas Specials. The standard pickups give you a bouncy, hollower tone, texas specials give a darker, meaner tone (I usually use the neck pickup with a Super Reverb). I have only tried the noisless pickups in the store. They sounded pretty gutless to me.

My favorite strat is an American Hot Rod Texas Special Fat Strat. This has the two Texas Specials, and a Duncan Pearly Gates Plus in the bridge position. I love this guitar. I have seven strats, and this is the king. It will do everything.

Irish

hello guys and gals, I need help. I am looking for traditonal Irish gituar tabs any know any decent sites?
P.s I offer oral sex as a incentive for replies to this request.

Good amplifier, c 50watt... any suggestions?

Hi guys.
i've been playing electric for about 3 years, and acoustic for about 8, and have got myself a Tanglewood Pioneer electric a while ago.
however, now i'm getting really serious about playing, i want to upgrade the cheap amp i currently have. Mostly i play Satch, Dire Straits, Knopfler, Beatles etc. i DON'T want a load of noise, but rather a very nice tone, and i would probably use it to gig in future.
I would have about £600 to spend, and would like something pretty lightweight. about 50watt, with reverb, overdrive, saturation, delay etc. Can any one recommend a suitable amp? or any suitable brands? i'm 17 now, don't want any huge stacks or anything!
Thanks, Georgi :)

Re: Good amplifier, c 50watt... any suggestions?

My best advice to you is buy all tube amp.
Knopfler among others uses also Crate Vintage Club 50 combo which is pretty loud amp for its 50watt as most of the tube amps are(around 30watt could be enough). It has nice clean sound and overdrive. As for other fx things you should buy some analog pedals.

Hi Georgie,,,you can get a fairly small tube amp and link it to a "Good" 2x12 cab for a tremendous sound and tone combination providing you get a decent amp in the first place.I use a Peavey Classic 30 linked to a Naylor 2x12 cab for most everything with astounding results.It goes from petty clean to mean with little effort.Very nice.I personally dislike "bright" sounding speakers so test drive what you can and pick what you like best.Portabilty is really easy with this setup.But if you want more power, 2x12 cabs with anything from 30 to 120 watts will be sufficient to blow your hair back. Later..............

Dude, try out a Peavey classic 50. I bought one a few years ago. They are all tube, and have a really stellar sound, particularly for the money. If you can find a Fender twin reverb (vintage of course) that would be your best bet, but for $350-$500 (American) you can find a new or used Peavey that sounds awfully nice. The Reverb is weak, but the amp lends itself very well to effects pedals of all types. Mine is a 2x12. The 4x10 sounds nice too but the 2x12 give you a stronger low range and great mids, a plus for soloing. Personally, I find I don't need a distortion pedal very much, because the lead channel gives me all the crunch I can handle. I use a crybaby Wah-Wah, a reissue Ibanez TS-9 when I do want a little more distortion, and a sweet little Boss digital delay/Echo. The amp is so versatile you can do anything from the Beach Boys, to Delta Blues, to Clapton, to Hendrix, to U2 and anything else. I love it. It's heavy, but not as heavy as a stack. It's bulky, but it fits in the back seat of my car. It purrs, but it can really roar. Great for small to medium gigs. Can be used for larger gigs if combined with more gear.

Chord Help!: BmA, BmAb.

BmA, BmAb.

This popular thread has been given its own page : Chord Help!: BmA, BmAb.

ovation guitars identification

ovation guitars identification

This popular thread has been given its own page : ovation guitars identification

Jon Kammerer Guitars

Jon Kammerer Guitars

This popular thread has been given its own page : Jon Kammerer Guitars

Marshall TSL 100 w/ 1960a Lead Cabinet

I own a TSL 100 with the 1960A lead cabinet. Does anyone who owns this amp know what impedance I should be using and whether I should be using the Stereo/Mono switch. Also, which Speaker Jack to I run the speaker cable into. I have been using the 16Ohm jack in Mono. Last time my band played I had the clean volume up to 5 and it was not loud at all. Is this a sign to change my tubes? Thanks!

Re: Marshall TSL 100 w/ 1960a Lead Cabinet

Yams, Do you understand the concept of ohmage? Ohms are a measurement of resistance and all speakers create resistance to the low voltage current your amp feeds it. You'll notice your amp has 3 ohmage selestions; 16, 8 and 4. Marshall cabs are generally 16 ohm cabs, being four 16 ohm speakers wired in series/parallel. If you use one cabinet in mono, set the amp for 16 ohms. As far as power, if you use your amp regularly for a year or so, the power tubes will wear down. Either buy a new quartet and have a reputable electrician install and re-bias your amp, or find a shop that will sell you a set for a reasonable price. Groove tubes are amongst the most expensive but you can find better deals on Sovtek and my favorite, Svetlana. Good luck and keep rockin!

Re: Marshall TSL 100 w/ 1960a Lead Cabinet

I am trying to re-wire a 1960a cabinet for a friend of mine to be either mono or stereo. Obviously it comes wired mono but he would like the stereo option. I have a switch plate from my guitar player's Mesa cabinet which can be run either mono or stereo (but it is only 2 X 12) but it seems to mess up the ohm rating when I try to use it with the 1960a. My friend uses a separate stereo power amp w/ some 'cheezy' roland pedal board for his rig. Any help would be great. Thanks

Swimming pool routed strats

Does anyone have any information on when Fender started and stopped using the swimming pool routes?? I have become a Strat maniac, and I don't want to end up with one.

learning

i'vebeen playing for about a year just teaching my self off tab and i want to get a new electric guitar but i don't want to get nothing to fancy but i want it to be good top learn on does anybody havve any sugestion to what kind i should get

Re: learning

hey there personally i'd go for an Aria MAC or similiar. They are about £200 new or say £150 used. Thay are good quality and nice to play, pretty strong. i have played my friend's one and it is very nice. check out the Aria website. G

Re: learning

Dude, try a midrange Ibanez. The necks are slim and fast, solid construction, decent fretwork. Personally I like their guitars with the Single coil, humbucker, single coil configuration. Truly stellar sound for about $350 american.

learning

intonation

.The G-string on my 88 studio les paul (red-wine maple-top) is always a bit out of tune. I set the intonation on it but its maxed out and still not perfect. Is it the truss-rod, or the height of the bridge n saddle?(wich is quite high because I like that no-buzz heavy -string groove.) Many thanx!

Re: intonation

I would go with adjusting the bridge first (it;s easiest), I like em heavy too, and try lowering/raising the low E side a little first... but experince says to me truss rod... a little voice, and usually what I go for when a saddle is maxed out.

: .The G-string on my 88 studio les paul (red-wine maple-top) is always a bit out of tune. I set the intonation on it but its maxed out and still not perfect. Is it the truss-rod, or the height of the bridge n saddle?(wich is quite high because I like that no-buzz heavy -string groove.) Many thanx!

My Band's 1st time in a actual Studio

Hey I was wondering if you guys could give some feedback on our band, this was the first time in the studio about a month ago the link is
http://www.mp3.com/esteem33
the song is called EVERYBODY it is near the bottom of the page n is labeled as ^everybody^
any feedback is good feedback
oh ya im really sorry that it is mp3.com that i want u to goto
if ya dont wanna put in a real email into the thing b4 u d/l it just something up like say hmmmm lasa@yahoe.com n it will work
thanks

just so ya know the recording cost about $75 american ($150 canadian)

Clarion Guitar

I found a Clarion guitar at an auction, I would guess it is about 50 years old, any one able to shed a little light on these guitars?

Re: Clarion Guitar

: I found a Clarion guitar at an auction, I would guess it is about 50 years old, any one able to shed a little light on these guitars?

i also found an old clarion , would you let me know if you find out anything?

Re: Clarion Guitar

: : I found a Clarion guitar at an auction, I would guess it is about 50 years old, any one able to shed a little light on these guitars?

: i also found an old clarion , would you let me know if you find out anything?

I also have 1 that has been passed down 2 me... no clue about it though...

1962 Ronnie Lee Gretsch

I have a Gretsch guitar that I am having problems identifying..the name plate is missing
I sent the pic to someone and they said that it is a rare 1962 Ronnie Lee model. I cannot find any information on it or who Ronnie Lee is or was.
Does anyone have any information on it?

Re: 1962 Ronnie Lee Gretsch

There is a Ronnie Lee Gretsch guitar being auctioned in Reno on August 3, 2002. I'm trying to find out some information about it myself. I'll email you a picture. Please let me know if you found in additional information on it. I did find the folowing classified ad on the web:

1962 GRETSCH “Ronnie Lee” Model, Burgundy
red finish, Two Hilotron pickups, Very rare
model, only 100 made., EC, OHSC. $1,895

Old gibson sg

Is there any body out there knows how to price a used gibson sg looks like a classic it has a fender humbucker pickup on the bridge and a di marzio in the neck the wood got lots of marks from its past its got the vibrato plate but the termolo stick is missing color is walnut it looks original Please Help

Re: Old gibson sg

Does the tremolo arm slide onto a bendy plate? If so I have one somewhere!! You can date the SG by the number on the back of the neck. If the trem is of the bendy plate type your probably looking at 1963 - 1965

Can anybody tell me what this thing is?

I have acquired a fairly old (possibly 40's) parlor sized acoustic guitar. It has a Regal decal (light blue with "Regal" in yellow letters and a red and yellow crown, and "Made in Chicago" in smaller black letters) on the headstock, and a blue paper sticker inside the box that says Tony J. Placht, Musical Instruments and Repairing, 1001 Fine St. St Louis, MO. It has no discernable model number. The back and sides are possibly mahogany, the top is definitely spruce, and none of it appears to be plywood. The sound hole is bound, and the binding is flush with the top but extends inside the guitar just a little bit. There is a painted-on white stripe around the top to simulate binding, the sides are dark brown, and the back is a two tone sunburst, dark around the edges. The neck has twelve frets clear of the body. The frets are made of brass and very small. It has has a neck reset, the back appears to have been off and glued back on, the bridge has been replaced, and the top and body appear to have been knocked around some. Does anybody know what this thing is and how much it might be worth?

email me me at picker@blitz-it.net if you can tell me anything. Thanx much,

Mike Vande

Easiest money you'll ever make

[The body of this post has been lost]

Re: Easiest money you'll ever make

Can't idiots like you just stay away. You give guitarists a bad name.

1972 epiphone guitars

1972 epiphone guitars

This popular thread has been given its own page : 1972 epiphone guitars

speed builder

MY teacher said my left hand moved very slow when i played fast song(i.e. the speed of my left hand is not suitalbe to play fast moving solo).Can u suggest some exercise for me to speed up?thank you!
and also i think my right hand alternative picking is not good enough,can anyone suggest e some exercises
to improve it?thinks

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.