Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - March, 2002

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

*MASTERS OF REALITY*-tab

Why can't I find any masters tab on the net

anyone who can help me

most grateful

Re: *MASTERS OF REALITY*-tab

Sorry,ive been as lucky as you.......bastards...

*MASTERS OF REALITY* -tab

can someone help me with some masters of reality-tab(s)
cause i can't find any
and they're a great band

thanks

Will you PLEASE help?

How does one strum a G chord with a pick when one is not supposed to pick the 5th string? Will you please help me?

Re: Will you PLEASE help?

No problem, just mute the 5th string with the finger that is on the 6th string. Example; I play a G chord with my middle finger on the 6th string. I make sure that it is also slightly touching the 5th string, as to mute it. Give it a try.

9's or 10's

When you all stop laughing at my total lack of knowledge and my inability to tell a set of 9 strings from a set of 10's (age comes to us all you know) could anyone tell me what size of strings are fitted as standard to a Epi LP standard.

ps If you stop laughing long enough perhaps a few recomends if I wanted to change the standard strings. (Whatever size they are)?

Re: 9's or 10's

There really is NO standard. I would say if went into a Guitar shop, they would probably have 09s on them. I use .11s on my Fat Strat, .09s on my Tele and Les Paul, but I use my Strat 90% of the time. Depends on how you like the strings, I am not a huge string bender, and I personally feel the fatter the string, the better tone you get. Start with the .09s, work your way up.

: There really is NO standard. I would say if went into a Guitar shop, they would probably have 09s on them. I use .11s on my Fat Strat, .09s on my Tele and Les Paul, but I use my Strat 90% of the time. Depends on how you like the strings, I am not a huge string bender, and I personally feel the fatter the string, the better tone you get. Start with the .09s, work your way up.

Thanks Ken

Yes I agree. I have .09's fitted on my standard strat and .10's on my clapton strat. It may be interesting if I try .11's on my Les Paul. Ill let you know what happens !.

Thanks

One more thing. The shorter the string scale the heavier the string gauge should be. Strats have a scale of 25.5 inches and Les Pauls (Most on both counts) have a scale of 24.75 inches....(I think that is right for Gibsons) I also have a mini guitar from a company called Chiquita. This guitar has a very short scale. I had to put Jazz 13's in oreder to get the string tension where it needs to be. so there is a standard, well sort of. It also depends on what you pitch you tune to. I played in a blues band that tuned all the way down to D and I had to go up in gauge to get the action where it was not so loose. I went up to 10's (on a '97 American Strat) and she played beautifully. Younger metal players that are wanting to tune down to play with the current rock bands, this applys to you. Most of them tune down to E flat of D. Some even tune all the way down to B, yep, no shit. Some are even using 7 string guitars but you can achieve the sound with out investing into a 7 string by just tuning down and going up in string gauge.......damn I hope that was not to much information hahahahaha. Email me if you want:

: There really is NO standard. I would say if went into a Guitar shop, they would probably have 09s on them. I use .11s on my Fat Strat, .09s on my Tele and Les Paul, but I use my Strat 90% of the time. Depends on how you like the strings, I am not a huge string bender, and I personally feel the fatter the string, the better tone you get. Start with the .09s, work your way up.

: Thanks Ken

: Yes I agree. I have .09's fitted on my standard strat and .10's on my clapton strat. It may be interesting if I try .11's on my Les Paul. Ill let you know what happens !.

: Thanks

I use 11 to 52 on my Tokai and it sounds sweet and strong through my 'Twin or 50W Marshall with no effects or junk in the way. It might take a bit of getting used to, but it's worth it for the tone. Anything less than 10s and it starts to whimp out in a 'pure' environment - OK so fx and masses of OD and it doesn't matter so much.
U can also get more stable tuning and go down to C no worries.
Consider: did the guys in the past use light baby strings? I don't think so!
Wire them up and get twanging

Most guitars are shipped from the factory with 9's....and it is not a stupid question. The reason they are shipped with 9's is that is the in the middle gauge. It is a gauge I use. For years I used 10's becasue I would break strings. But, as my style started to calm down I went to 9's...... Also, what ever you do will require a neck adjustment. Guitars come from the factory with the Truss rod adjust for the gauge of strings that are on them. So if you are going to go upto 10's from 9's you will notice the action will get higher and harder to play. So be prepaired, I actually love tweeking out the action and getting it just right. Good Luck feel free to Email me: When you all stop laughing at my total lack of knowledge and my inability to tell a set of 9 strings from a set of 10's (age comes to us all you know) could anyone tell me what size of strings are fitted as standard to a Epi LP standard.

: ps If you stop laughing long enough perhaps a few recomends if I wanted to change the standard strings. (Whatever size they are)?

Most guitars are shipped from the factory with 9's....and it is not a stupid question. The reason they are shipped with 9's is that is the in the middle gauge. It is a gauge I use. For years I used 10's becasue I would break strings. But, as my style started to calm down I went to 9's...... Also, what ever you do will require a neck adjustment. Guitars come from the factory with the Truss rod adjust for the gauge of strings that are on them. So if you are going to go upto 10's from 9's you will notice the action will get higher and harder to play. So be prepaired, I actually love tweeking out the action and getting it just right. Good Luck feel free to Email me:

When you all stop laughing at my total lack of knowledge and my inability to tell a set of 9 strings from a set of 10's (age comes to us all you know) could anyone tell me what size of strings are fitted as standard to a Epi LP standard.

: ps If you stop laughing long enough perhaps a few recomends if I wanted to change the standard strings. (Whatever size they are)?

Antoria Folk "Gibson J200 copy"

Antoria Folk "Gibson J200 copy"

This popular thread has been given its own page : Antoria Folk "Gibson J200 copy"

Wiring one humbucker

I have a homade guitar that I am just placing one humbucker in. It has a volume and tone swith and that's it. I need a wiring diagram. Thanx.

Re: Wiring one humbucker

: I have a homade guitar that I am just placing one humbucker in. It has a volume and tone swith and that's it. I need a wiring diagram. Thanx.

depends what kind of p/u you are installin hopefully its a emg 81 there hot as hell!!!! the best ive found anyway and there simple to install. reply and i will try to help you....and i hope i can!!!

Join everyone in sharing the word!

Jesus Christ

Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Revelation 3:3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

What Must I Do To Get Saved?

You must confess openly that Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior read John 3:16-17 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. Verse 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condem the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9 (NIV)

You must be Baptized read Mark 16:15,16 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Verse 16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Join everyone in spreading the word-

PART 1 Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

For the next 30 days (and beyond) you are to hand out a minimum of 30 FLYERS EACH DAY. Email this letter to people you know (ABSOLUTELY NO SPAMING - ITS AGAINST THE LAW AND GOD SAYS TO OBEY THE LAW), mail it through the postal system, place them on doorsteps, message boards, newsgroups, .alt, pass them out at the office, give it to the church, radio networks, etc. NOTE: it is illegal to place flyers on windshields in parking lots. If you speak another language, go to www.thegiftsoftheholyspirit.org for a translation and mail or email it to friends in other countries to be a witness unto all nations as stated above.

PART 2 For the next 30 days, you will start getting everything in your life right with God. Read Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

PART 3 See you in Heaven. Amen! Go online to www.thegiftsoftheholyspirit.org to get a translation into another language or to print a copy of this letter or go to a copy store. Please read Ezekiel 33:1-9

Re: Join everyone in sharing the word!

hey, i like you, can i have sex with your mother?(you obviously have). love Bob

Free Guitar Lessons at Guitar Mania

Do a search for Guitar Mania. You will love it. Great Message Board, too.

Re: Free Guitar Lessons at Guitar Mania

: Do a search for Guitar Mania. You will love it. Great Message Board, too.

The best lesson site on the net!!!!
http://www.digevent.com/events/consumer/music/guitar_mania/

silvertone gutar

i have a silvertone gutar,sunburst brown,it has S-63-unclear on the last it looks like an N.i would like to know what it might be worth.if you can help,i would appreciate it,or possibly how old it might be.thank you

Gibson Les Paul Binding

I have seen in all Gibson Les Pauls Custom, that the multiplex top binding is white with 3 black lines.
I own a 82´Les paul custom, and it top binding is white, but with 4 black lines. Why? Please help me.

HELP: Solo advice

Im just a begginer guitarist and own a fender.Im going to try and be as simple as i can ,but when i try and run my fingers down the fret and try just a solo it doesn't sound like a solo should be.For an example i don't know if the strings are to high from the fretboard,and im sure it is in tune but when i put my fingers on different chords it doesn't sound as 'easy' as a solo like an eddie van halen solo,might it be the way my fingers are moving from chord to chord my picking style or how does disortion pedals come into this.Thanks for your advise.

Re: HELP: Solo advice

If youre trying to play really fast stuff, it will take loads of practice to learn . i mean learn so well you can play it with your eyes closed, and you are really really comfortable playing it. If youre a beginner, youre expecting too much of yourself to be able to sound like the pros... give yourself time and practice your stuff over and over again. It always looks easier than it is, you wouldn't believe how hard some of the stuff some people play actually is.
as to getting the effects, most pros like van halen will use really expensive amps, pedals etc. Getting the right combination is extremely hard.
However dont be put off, try playing something that is simple- few effects, and concentrate on getting the tone right (ie how you play on the guitar). One of my favuorites is Dire Straits Brothers In Arms, the sound is amazing specially on the last solo. Its a really slow song but sounds amazing. Its good practice just to play as fast/ slow as you like. Good luck ! G

After rigid practice for 20 years, MAYBE you could sound like Eddie.

Here's some advice kid-
Take baby steps, you're not gonna ever be able to play like Eddie so start with the basics. You have to learn how to hold your guitar and pick before you can solo. You gotta crawl before you walk, walk before you run. As far as the guitar goes, you may need to fix your action and maybe bring your Axe into a guitar shop to have them check it out if the strings are riding too high.

Your mom

: Im just a begginer guitarist and own a fender.Im going to try and be as simple as i can ,but when i try and run my fingers down the fret and try just a solo it doesn't sound like a solo should be.For an example i don't know if the strings are to high from the fretboard,and im sure it is in tune but when i put my fingers on different chords it doesn't sound as 'easy' as a solo like an eddie van halen solo,might it be the way my fingers are moving from chord to chord my picking style or how does disortion pedals come into this.Thanks for your advise.

Hmm.Since you've just started playing,don't put unrealistic demands on yourself! Eddie Van Halen is a guitar legend,so picking up his stuff will take lots more practice,experience and knowledge.It's not so basic!Instead,I would pick some easier solos.Example; Money(Pink Floyd),Smokin'in the Boy's Room(Brownsville Station)and some early Santana are basic pentatonic solos.This will lead you to the Van Halen stuff.
Good Luck

tablature to john renbourn's "The Pelican"

Does anyone have the tab to the second guitar part of John Renbourn's "The Pelican" fron the Black Balloon CD
or know of a site that has it

Re: tablature to john renbourn's "The Pelican"

: Does anyone have the tab to John Renbourns first 2 LP's eg National 7 Lady nothings Toye Puffe etc?

Robert Flemming, Jr., anyone?

Robert Flemming, Jr., anyone?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Robert Flemming, Jr., anyone?

Equalizer rack

I am trying to find the perfect sound.I just bought a Marshall AVT150 head w/ a Marshall 4x12 cab along with a Gibson LesPaul Studio.The amp sounds real good with its built in preamp, but I want to get the thick ballsy sound of nu metal as well as jump back to old metal and jazz/blues.Will a Equalizer rack effect help me to round out my sound more or if not what will?The overdrive 2 channel on my amp already has a real thick distortion.

Re: Equalizer rack

Hmm.The new metal guys use a couple of tricks.(1)Recording guitar tracks at high speed,then slowing them down.(2)Detune effect(3)Layering guitar tracks and other things.An equalizer could help by scooping out the mids and raising the bass&treble.But it can add a little noise too.My cheap ass Smash-Box helps me get that new sound.I'll use a small,7 band E.Q. to boost the mids for solos.Also,I highly recommend the Boss OD-3!I used it on a Marshall JMC 900...it ROARED!!
Good Luck

To:Eddie G.

Thank you for the info.I took my LesPaul in to My local guitar tech for some light work to get it setup the way I want it.I asked him about the Equalizer rack and he said the exact same thing you did.So I am going to invest in a Boss 7 band EQ.Thank you.

tabs

Where can I fing goog guitar tabs!

Cheers,
Folks

Re: tabs

: Where can I fing goog guitar tabs!

: Cheers,
: Folks

A good hint might be www.olga.net

CRACK TO GUITAR PRO 3.0 ! ! !

CRACK TO GUITAR PRO 3.0 ! ! !

This popular thread has been given its own page : CRACK TO GUITAR PRO 3.0 ! ! !

Any and all info. on TUSC amps?

Any and all info. on TUSC amps?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Any and all info. on TUSC amps?

Marshall TSL 100

I have a TSL 100 Head with a 1960A Lead cabinet. Which Impedance should I be using and should I be connecting it to the left or right speaker jack on the cabinet? Thanks!

Jiggy

Re: Marshall TSL 100

You must connect your TSL head output 16 ohm into the 16 ohm input jack of the cabinet (cabinet selector in mono position) with a big and short cable whith two identical wires of 1.5 mm² each.

rory gallagher strat

i
heard fender has made some rory signature strats only
only released in uk does anyone know if this is true

Re: rory gallagher strat

: i
: heard fender has made some rory signature strats only
: only released in uk does anyone know if this is true

Yes, it's true. In the artist series there is a Rory Gallagher Signature Fender Stratocaster Model '61 in Sunburst. Only 40 have been made. Finding one is almost impossible.....

on this page is a nice picture of the Rory Gsllsgher Strat:

www.rory-gallagher.de.vu

: : i
: : heard fender has made some rory signature strats only
: : only released in uk does anyone know if this is true

: Yes, it's true. In the artist series there is a Rory Gallagher Signature Fender Stratocaster Model '61 in Sunburst. Only 40 have been made. Finding one is almost impossible.....

contact Music Maker in dublin they have 2 for sale!

What the Hell have I got?

Anybody that can help me find out any information on this Guitar I recently aquired would be really nice.
I have a Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul Guitar. The serial #'s don't seem to match anything I have found yet. They are located on the back of the body on the neck Bracket. It says "Handcrafted by Epiphone The Epiphone Company Nashville Tenn. USA." then under that the #'s are stamped, and they are "S5101396"
How do I find out the year and if there is anything special about it? What it's worth?

Re: What the Hell have I got?

hi i just bought a epiphone left handed guitar off ebay it made like a strat and is a sunburst color nice guitar and new at that but i cant find any store are the epiphone store that has that guitar on thier web site so heres a little bit about it its got the epiphone name on the head and gibson on a tag on the head its a strat style sunburst color and its a left hand from factory can you tell me where i can go to on internet to find pic and price so i can see what they cost new and what it might be worth thanks

Canora guitar

haha, just found an old Canora electric guitar in the closet! Think I might sell it, anyone know how much it'd be worth? Not much I'd imagine!!

Re: Canora guitar

: haha, just found an old Canora electric guitar in the closet! Think I might sell it, anyone know how much it'd be worth? Not much I'd imagine!!

looking for a guitar learn and practice. Im new to this, how much are you selling?

Re: Canora guitar

: : haha, just found an old Canora electric guitar in the closet! Think I might sell it, anyone know how much it'd be worth? Not much I'd imagine!!

: looking for a guitar learn and practice. Im new to this, how much are you selling?

fuck you u goddamnd hippi go fuck yourself!

Hagstrom Corvette

Twenty five years ago I bought a hagstrom guitar. The plastic name was broken and I don't see a serial number on it. From photo's posted at another site it appears to be a corvette, but mine has only got two pickups where the photo has three. Is this common? Where can I find what the thing is worth, I hav'nt played it in years, but when I was playing it sure was nice.

Tim

Re: Hagstrom Corvette

: Twenty five years ago I bought a hagstrom guitar. The plastic name was broken and I don't see a serial number on it. From photo's posted at another site it appears to be a corvette, but mine has only got two pickups where the photo has three. Is this common? Where can I find what the thing is worth, I hav'nt played it in years, but when I was playing it sure was nice.

: Tim
The Hagstrom Impala is identical to the Corvette except it only had 2 pickups not 3 like the corvette

as

tai va

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.