Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - April, 2002

Advertisement

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

BALDWIN GUITAR

I HAVE A BALDWIN ELECTRIC GUITAR. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT IT.

Re: BALDWIN GUITAR

The Baldwin label was used on Burns guitars that were built in England between 1965 and 1970. Apparently, Baldwin Piano had purchased the Burns line. While these are solid players, this guitar was not a great seeler in the US. You can tell the general production period by a couple of tell-tale items on the guitar. One of these is "since the name usually was on the pickguard this meant cutting out the Burns name and gluing a piece of pickguard material engraved with the Baldwin name over it. Once the existing Burns part were used up, the Baldwin logo was incorporated into the parts, as normal."
Another dating technique is in the shape of the headstock; The 65 Burns line initially continued intact as the Baldwin line. Depending on the model, headstocks on most of these early Baldwin guitars were in-line, on-a-side or the trademark large scroll. All Burns/Baldwin guitars had bolt on necks (except the later classical) Necks were adjustable, with access underneath the neckplate into a ”gearbox”. Fingerboard were typically unbound rosewood with pearl dot inlays.

In 1966 Baldwin took further steps to reduce costs as it hoped to boost sales. From this point on, all Baldwin guitars had the same necks rather than different headstocks based on a model. Secondly, the new necks featured a flatter version of the scroll headstock. This was easier to manufacture than the previous design, which had a real carved scroll. Finally fingerboards were bound and the triple-dot octave had three dots of the same size.

In addition, in 1966 several model underwent minor changes while the Vibraslim got a major makeover.

Source: http://www.burnsguitarmuseum.com/baldwin.html

You don't say which model it is and there were many.

Please e-mail me to discuss it further, looking forward to your reply.

Andy

Are these worth anything?

: The Baldwin label was used on Burns guitars that were built in England between 1965 and 1970. Apparently, Baldwin Piano had purchased the Burns line. While these are solid players, this guitar was not a great seeler in the US. You can tell the general production period by a couple of tell-tale items on the guitar. One of these is "since the name usually was on the pickguard this meant cutting out the Burns name and gluing a piece of pickguard material engraved with the Baldwin name over it. Once the existing Burns part were used up, the Baldwin logo was incorporated into the parts, as normal."
: Another dating technique is in the shape of the headstock; The 65 Burns line initially continued intact as the Baldwin line. Depending on the model, headstocks on most of these early Baldwin guitars were in-line, on-a-side or the trademark large scroll. All Burns/Baldwin guitars had bolt on necks (except the later classical) Necks were adjustable, with access underneath the neckplate into a ”gearbox”. Fingerboard were typically unbound rosewood with pearl dot inlays.

: In 1966 Baldwin took further steps to reduce costs as it hoped to boost sales. From this point on, all Baldwin guitars had the same necks rather than different headstocks based on a model. Secondly, the new necks featured a flatter version of the scroll headstock. This was easier to manufacture than the previous design, which had a real carved scroll. Finally fingerboards were bound and the triple-dot octave had three dots of the same size.

: In addition, in 1966 several model underwent minor changes while the Vibraslim got a major makeover.

: Source: http://www.burnsguitarmuseum.com/baldwin.html

If you have any questions about Baldwin guitars, please direct your questions to me. I have an extensive collection of baldwin guitars, amps, and combo organs including 2 of the most prized amps...The Baldwin Exterminator! You can reach me at baldwinguitarman@aol.com. Connie just took some info out of the burns museum pages, of which i helped put together.

Are these worth anything?

:
: : The Baldwin label was used on Burns guitars that were built in England between 1965 and 1970. Apparently, Baldwin Piano had purchased the Burns line. While these are solid players, this guitar was not a great seeler in the US. You can tell the general production period by a couple of tell-tale items on the guitar. One of these is "since the name usually was on the pickguard this meant cutting out the Burns name and gluing a piece of pickguard material engraved with the Baldwin name over it. Once the existing Burns part were used up, the Baldwin logo was incorporated into the parts, as normal."
: : Another dating technique is in the shape of the headstock; The 65 Burns line initially continued intact as the Baldwin line. Depending on the model, headstocks on most of these early Baldwin guitars were in-line, on-a-side or the trademark large scroll. All Burns/Baldwin guitars had bolt on necks (except the later classical) Necks were adjustable, with access underneath the neckplate into a ”gearbox”. Fingerboard were typically unbound rosewood with pearl dot inlays.

: : In 1966 Baldwin took further steps to reduce costs as it hoped to boost sales. From this point on, all Baldwin guitars had the same necks rather than different headstocks based on a model. Secondly, the new necks featured a flatter version of the scroll headstock. This was easier to manufacture than the previous design, which had a real carved scroll. Finally fingerboards were bound and the triple-dot octave had three dots of the same size.

: : In addition, in 1966 several model underwent minor changes while the Vibraslim got a major makeover.

: : Source: http://www.burnsguitarmuseum.com/baldwin.html

baldwin exterminator

ive got a baldwin exterminator. i havent been able to find anything about them and i have no clue how much its worth. i got it for free out of an old theatre, which was being remodeled. it works, but before i got it, somebody stole the speakers. also, it has shows some signs of use (tears in the fabric etc..). i have 3 questions. how much is it worth? can the speakers be replaced? and how good do they sound?
any information would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks.
-eric
you can email me at ericturner18@hotmail.com

: I HAVE A BALDWIN ELECTRIC GUITAR. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION ABOUT IT.

I heard Lenny Breau play a Baldwin guitar. Sounded great. I don't think they are made any more. Best to hang onto it!! Check Lenny out....he is dead now, but his albums are around.

Ibanez GB-10

4/9/02
I have a Ibanez GB-10 Natural finish, I purchased it in 1985 I'm looking for gold plated machine heads from that era, the new ones are different. If anyone out there has any parts are accessories for this guitar please email me at deglennsr@aol.com or call me at 314 486-2567

Thanks Dave

industry research

I'm trying to research the guitar manufacturing industry (how big is it, who are the major manufacturers, what are the recent trends in the industry....)

Re: industry research

try www.namm.com

: I'm trying to research the guitar manufacturing industry (how big is it, who are the major manufacturers, what are the recent trends in the industry....)

12 string tuning question

A few years ago I took in my Epiphone 12 string acoustic for some adjustments and was told that it had been damaged (I believe one of the braces required repair) because I had been tuning it same as a standard 6 string (EADGBE). The luthier advised me that most 12 strings should be tuned one whole step down (DGCFAD) due to the tremendous pressure on the neck and body. Is this true? I've taken his advice and have used a capo on the 2nd fret to adjust for playing with other guitars.

Re: 12 string tuning question

Ernest, I've had 4 twelve strings over the past 25 years and have never ever tuned them up to pitch. I think you were given sound advice.

Re: 12 string tuning question

I own a Guild D25-12 which I keep tuned down one whole step. Guild says their 12-strings can be tuned to normal concert pitch using light gauge strings, but I'm not willing to take any chances. The lower pitch also suits my voice; I'm 55-year-old bass-baritone and can't hit the same high notes I used to be able to reach 30 years ago!

Order of strings on a 12-string

When installing new strings on a 12-string, is the thinner gage installed on the bottom or top?

"high-string" or "Nashville" tuning

I'm interested in experimenting with "high-string" or "Nashville" tuning on my Guild D-40. Anyone have suggestions/recommendations for string brands and gauges? I normally play with a medium gauge string.

Re: "high-string" or "Nashville" tuning

Dude, I'd start by looking at light gauge strings. Given the tension were looking at, that would be safer for your guitar. If you look at a set of lights or even extra lights, and get the gauges from there, many shops also stock individual strings, you can probably just buy the strings themselves. Otherwise buy two sets of lights or extra lights and just use the smallest strings. You may also want to consider just using a 12 string.

Re: "high-string" or "Nashville" tuning

Sorry about the duplicate of the previous post. D'addario actually sells a set of nashville tuning strings. They're essentially the octave strings from an electric 12-string set.

i need advice on a half stack for my band

i need advice on a half stack for my band

This popular thread has been given its own page : i need advice on a half stack for my band

acoustic decision

I'm currently looking for a semi-hollow body acoustic/electric guitar, for roughly about 300-400 dollars. If anyone could give me suggestions on a good guitar for that range, that would be great!

Classical guitar tailpiece

Anyone know where I might be able to locate a low profile classical guitar bridge and saddle? I have an old Gibson I bought over 25 years ago and the bridge got knocked loose during a move and was lost. It's 7" wide and has no pins. The ones available at Stewart MacDonald and every where else I have looked are too high and cannot be modified to fit. This neck angle requires a very low profile bridge. I think I may have to end up making one but would much rather purchase one.
Thanks for any info,
Jeff

Ibanez Acoustic Electrics

does anyone know anything about the tcy10 talman, the jx70 or the aeg 10?

thanks a lot... i've only been playin a year and all of it has been on electric, so i don't really know what's the best for acoustic/electric...

Re: Ibanez Acoustic Electrics

I have a TCY10BK and really like it. The action on the neck is very low without buzzing and the neck is very thin and easy to play. It doesn't have the volume as a full size acoustic but the tone it produces is good. I was very impressed with this $200.00 guitar.

: does anyone know anything about the tcy10 talman, the jx70 or the aeg 10?

: thanks a lot... i've only been playin a year and all of it has been on electric, so i don't really know what's the best for acoustic/electric...

Re: Ibanez Acoustic Electrics

i need information on a red jx70 acoustic electric. i cant find it anyplace but muscians friend but they say that they will not be selling them anymore. And the color they show is blue sunburst but the picture shows it red and there is no other options.

unkown guitar no name

hello
i have a acoustic guitar with no name just
a model number. i'm trying to find out,
what it might be and if it is worth.
the guitar it self is in decent condition
if it help's this is the model #
model # : 319.1270000
please e-mail me if your site get's this

thank you
sincerely

MR. BURNETT

Re: unkown guitar no name

: hello
: i have a acoustic guitar with no name just
: a model number. i'm trying to find out,
: what it might be and if it is worth.
: the guitar it self is in decent condition
: if it help's this is the model #
: model # : 319.1270000
: please e-mail me if your site get's this

: thank you
: sincerely
:
: MR. BURNETT
I woul recomend visiting the martin guitar site.They may have the answer you seek.It sounds to me like you may have an early honer or yamaha model. However tthe likelyhood is that the instrument was broken and repaired using a replacement kneck in which case it only has value to you. IF IT SOUNDS GOOD,ENJOY IT.
PSYCO.

HAMER SCARAB

Hi!

Does anybody know where I can get a HMAER SCARAB new stock????????????????

Greetings,

Sascha

Re: HAMER SCARAB

Yes, I have one. It is green with black hardware, includes caes. $2500.

www.geocities.com/hamerscarab

Looking for a singer/songwriter

I am a guitarist living in Nashville, TN. I am looking for a dynamic, energetic front man. Someone that I can co-write with and is interested in getting a record deal. I know that may sound silly but I am just wanting what so many of us are looking for - the chance to do what I love to do and make a good living. I am 27 and am looking for someone that is around my age. I say that because typically younger people are just not mature enough to be focused. No offense - just most are into partying and can't maintain a professional mindset. I have awesome studio/live gear and have a Pro Tools studio in my home. I would also be up to join an existing established band.

Re: Looking for a singer/songwriter

What kind of music? I'm 32 and can sing well. Woman seem to melt at my feet when I sing. I think we may be able to do something serious together. I don't play instruments, just sing. Prefer country, but can do anything. Good with Garth songs. I'm in Chicago.

Antoria guitars

Antoria guitars

This popular thread has been given its own page : Antoria guitars

Advice on AVT150h

I am getting an avt150h. What cabinet do you think sounds best with this head? Also, how do u find the perfect punk rock powerchord and lead guitar sound on this amp?

Jeff

TCY 10 Talman

does anyone know anything good or bad about this ibanez guitar?

floyd rose bridge tuning question

hey. I can restring and tune a floyd rose bridge just fine... but I noticed that there is only one possible key that the guitar can be in tune in, depending on the string gague. The strings that came with the guitar could tune to a perfect E, then the next set of strings I got were stuck in D-G-C-F-A-D tuning, which was fine, because at least it was a note. My newest set of strings, however, lies somewhere between D and Db. This means I can't play along with anyone else without them tuning their instruments a quarter step down. So my question is, is there any way to find out what's the proper string gague to use for my bridge? Or, even better, is there any way to get all the strings raised the quarter step? Because as it is now, the guitar will not be in tune unless the bottom string is between D and Db. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Re: floyd rose bridge tuning question

Try this link:

http://guitarchasers.org/tech/restring.html

I don't know if it will help, but take a look at it anyway...
By the way, i got my guitar (also with a floyd rose bridge) tuned to a "D-A-D-G-B-E" with regular E tune strings and it never gave me any probs.

Re: floyd rose bridge allen wrench bolts.

I NEED TO KNOW HOW I CAN GET THE ALLEN WRENCH BOLTS FOR MY IBANEZ FLOYD ROSE BRIDGE, THE ONES THAT HOLD THE STRINGS. THE ONES I HAVE ON MY GUITAR ARE STRIPPED OUT AND I NEED NEW BOLTS. NOBODY IN MY AREA MUSIC STORES KNOWS WHERE I CAN GET THESES BOLTS, AND WITHOUT THEM MY 1,000.00 GYITAR IS USELESS. PLEASE HELP, THANKS.
PAT

Re: floyd rose bridge allen wrench bolts.

Ummmmm.... Take an allen wrench and steal them from a guitar shop make sure its a very busy one then ur not watched as much

Re: floyd rose bridge question

my 1st string sound like an sitar...
can anybody help me?

Washburn F11 strings......

Washburn F11 strings......

This popular thread has been given its own page : Washburn F11 strings......

Peavey Vegas

Does anyone out there have a schematic diagram for a Vegas they can e-mail me a copy of .
Cheers Dave.

modes

modes

This popular thread has been given its own page : modes

how can I make a single coil pick up????

I need to Know how to make a really simple sourt of home made single coil pick up.....if anyone knows please e-mail me....... thanks..

Re: how can I make a single coil pick up????

guitar player has a book Guitar Electronics you can get from Mix Magazine in Berkeley Ca.
I would get one from store $20 for adv to $70 for killer humbucker. You'll have trouble getting the wrap correct doing it yourself.

phil pro

bought new phil pro 6 string electric and cant figure out how to change strings any info would be appreciated

Re: phil pro

: bought new phil pro 6 string electric and cant figure out how to change strings any info would be appreciated

Just with an allen key, untwist the correspondent screw in the floydrose and that's it

you stupid dumbass you change the strings at the lowest part of the bridge; not behind the guitar

If you happen to have the MSW 206 you can chage them on the back of the body instead of unscrewing anything at all

WHAT IS VIBRATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE WHAT IS IT? ONLINE HELP SOMEWHERE?!!!!

Re: WHAT IS VIBRATO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its when you shake a string with your fretted finger.
DUH! you can do it with your wrist( twisting the wrist while keeping fret fingers on string) or fingers (movin' fingers back n' forth)

you dont have to bend the string very much- the wider the bend the slower the vib, and vice versa. its often used to give a warm soft feeling to notes. You can also use the vib bar ( attatched to the vib unit where the strings are held down) which i find gives a similiar effect but its harder to control............G

: PLEASE WHAT IS IT? ONLINE HELP SOMEWHERE?!!!!

VIBRATO, To cause a note to oscilate using a slight forward and backward movement of the hand (thats th geek speek)

IT'S JUST FAST STRING BENDING MAN REPEATING THE PROCESS ON A SINGLE NOTE. WATCH VIOLINIST PLAYING THE ALL USE THIS VIBRATO THING THEN COPY THEM.PSYCO.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.