Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - May, 2002

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

12 String Guitars.. what kind of wood?

I am the original owner of two 12 strings, one Takamine EF381C (my black Tak) purchased in 1993 and a Yamaki AY472S (solid top) purchased in 1978. Due to illness, I am selling both but I don't know what type of wood the Yamaki is in order to describe it correctly. Is there some data base where I can look up this information? Or maybe there happens to be a walking Yamaki encyclopedia readings this! Any help would be appreciated.

Re: 12 String Guitars.. what kind of wood?

: I am the original owner of two 12 strings, one Takamine EF381C (my black Tak) purchased in 1993 and a Yamaki AY472S (solid top) purchased in 1978. Due to illness, I am selling both but I don't know what type of wood the Yamaki is in order to describe it correctly. Is there some data base where I can look up this information? Or maybe there happens to be a walking/talking Yamaki encyclopedia reading this! Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know much about Them but I have a Yamaki AY472S as well (inherited it from a school basement.) The top on this one is a very tight grained spruce (stained to darken it). The sides and back are Indian Rosewood and the Neck is mahogany

: : I am the original owner of two 12 strings, one Takamine EF381C (my black Tak) purchased in 1993 and a Yamaki AY472S (solid top) purchased in 1978. Due to illness, I am selling both but I don't know what type of wood the Yamaki is in order to describe it correctly. Is there some data base where I can look up this information? Or maybe there happens to be a walking/talking Yamaki encyclopedia reading this! Any help would be appreciated.
I puchased the AY472S originally and have to correct r.harvey on the top material. It is not spruce but is a solid cedar top which gives the Yamaki it's wonderful sound. My music instructor said I should never sell this guitar, but am finally selling due to arthritis preventing me from playing it properly.

Is the Yamaki still for sale.

Hi,

If this Yamaki is still for sale, please e-mail me at: Kensetsu@aol.com

Thanks, Nick

1970 Garcia Classical guitar

1970 Garcia Classical guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : 1970 Garcia Classical guitar

Finger Str.

I have played bass guitar for about a year and a-half, now I'm taking up electric guitar, and I'm having problems with chords. I mean I can play power chords and am pretty fast, but the chords (esp. bar chords) are giving me problems. So I bought a finger gripping exerciser and I'm curious how much this will really help with chords. I keep muting strings that arn't supposed to be muted. I really want to learn to play but I'm kinda frustrated. Thanks

Re: Finger Str.

It usually takes most people a little while (and alot of frustration) to get barre chords 'clean', the gripper can't hurt, but I would think playing bass would have your hands in pretty good shape... just keep at it and have someone take a look at how you are playing to see if you are doing anything 'odd' and show you how they do it... good luck.

:
: I have played bass guitar for about a year and a-half, now I'm taking up electric guitar, and I'm having problems with chords. I mean I can play power chords and am pretty fast, but the chords (esp. bar chords) are giving me problems. So I bought a finger gripping exerciser and I'm curious how much this will really help with chords. I keep muting strings that arn't supposed to be muted. I really want to learn to play but I'm kinda frustrated. Thanks

Electric Guitars

Hello everyoe,
I am wondering what is the best guitar manufacturer? I want to learn how to play and I would just like to know. If anyone knows any good places in Pennsylvania please tell me. Thanks so much!

Re: Electric Guitars

: Hello everyoe,
: I am wondering what is the best guitar manufacturer? I want to learn how to play and I would just like to know. If anyone knows any good places in Pennsylvania please tell me. Thanks so much!

An impossible question to really answer. There are a lot of good manufacturers around. You usually can't go to far wrong with a well-known brand, but the best advice I can give you is to
start off with a reasonably priced guitar, and when you get better you'll know what you like and what to look for.

As a builder, I was never truly satisfied with factory made guitars, although a lot of them are quite good. Just keep in mind that some are priced higher for a good reason and some are not.

Good luck,
Bill

Wilkat Guitars

http://members.shaw.ca/wilkatguitars/

1961 or 1962 Stratacaster

My father purchased this sunburst guitar for me in 1961 or 1962. It is all original except for the strings. It has been played only 3 hours in the past thirty years and I still have the original case. I am interested in selling the guitar.

Re: 1961 or 1962 Stratacaster

: My father purchased this sunburst guitar for me in 1961 or 1962. It is all original except for the strings. It has been played only 3 hours in the past thirty years and I still have the original case. I am interested in selling the guitar.

Re: 1961 or 1962 Stratacaster

: : My father purchased this sunburst guitar for me in 1961 or 1962. It is all original except for the strings. It has been played only 3 hours in the past thirty years and I still have the original case. I am interested in selling the guitar.

My neighbor just sold a 57 for $13,000 with case and little book. broken tremelo.
Guitar Center can offer quote, Guitar shows you may get numerous bids....beware the rip offs...you have something better than wall street stock!

voxton model x215 single cutaway electric

hollow body f-holes single cutaway sharp point not round serial # 1805182 vox/thomas organ comp sepulveda california anyone have any info or price on this guitar excellent condition

Re: voxton model x215 single cutaway electric

: hollow body f-holes single cutaway sharp point not round serial # 1805182 vox/thomas organ comp sepulveda california anyone have any info or price on this guitar excellent condition

Re: voxton model x215 single cutaway electric

: : hollow body f-holes single cutaway sharp point not round serial # 1805031 vox/thomas organ comp sepulveda california anyone have any info or price on this guitar excellent condition

Sweet Guitar...now, what the heck is it?

in the June edition of Guitar World magazine, they have an article on trey anastasio. On the first page of the interwiew, they have a picture of him playing a really sweet guitar. Can u pleeze tell what it is?
thanx

Re: Sweet Guitar...now, what the heck is it?

The August 2000 issue of Guitar Player magazine has Trey Anastasio on the cover. On page 95 they ask him about the guitar. He says "It's a small archtop built by Paul Languedoc, our soundman. It's totally hollow-no wood block-and very rsonant. It has a handcarved koa body, two hot-rodded Schaller pickups, 24 frets, and a Strat string scale". The article also shows a detailed drawing of his stage rig.

about Jason Becker's equipment

about Jason Becker's equipment

This popular thread has been given its own page : about Jason Becker's equipment

Advise

I would like to have honest opinion on Seymour Duncan Hot Stack P.U. for middle and neck.

Cordova

A friend of mine just gave me his old guitar and I would like to know how much it is worth.

It’s a Cordova guitar, model # WL010, serial # 64162 made in West Germany.

I am not sure how old the guitar is but what I know is that he bought it used in 1974.

Can you help find out or tell me what I should do to find out?

Thanks for your help,

Hakim Kassam

hakim@healthquestinc.net

Re: Cordova

: A friend of mine just gave me his old guitar and I would like to know how much it is worth.

:

: It’s a Cordova guitar, model # WL010, serial # 64162 made in West Germany.

:

: I am not sure how old the guitar is but what I know is that he bought it used in 1974.

:

: Can you help find out or tell me what I should do to find out?

:

: Thanks for your help,

:

: Hakim Kassam

: hakim@healthquestinc.net

: 303.956.7378

Hakim,

I'm sorry, but I have no information for you. I am actually looking for some information regarding a Cordova guitar myself. If anyone does contact you with information, I would love to have their email address. I am having an extrememly hard time trying to identify this guitar. I am having a hard time reading the handwriting, but I think the model# is WC70 or WC 10, and the serial# is 63167 or 63M7.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.

Thanks,
Carrie Smither

please help me - identifying a guitar song

Hi, I heard this song and I really like it and would like to know the title. And, if possible, could someone direct me to a website where I can learn how to play it?

Here is a (very bad) recording of me playing part of the song... leastways, what I can remember of it. It's just a short clip, only about 100kb I think... and

http://www.geocities.com/faiere_girl/guitar.mp3

guitar pedals

I'm doing a physics project on multi effects processors and guitar pedals. Could you direct me to some sites which explain how these work? Or could you tell me how they work?

Epiphone Selector Switch...

I've heard this wear out incredibly fast. What would be the best brand to replace it with?

Re: Epiphone Selector Switch...

I just get replacements from digikey or mcmaster catalogs, as long as they are all copper and gold/silver plated they hold up fine... and they are about 1/4 (or less) the cost of buying from a store.

:
: I've heard this wear out incredibly fast. What would be the best brand to replace it with?

a good power amp

Can anybody help ? im looking for a quality power amp tfor my sansamp gt2 pre amp, it does not have to be loud, but i would like a totally neutral sound. cheers.

Re: a good power amp

alesis RA-150 all the way

Re: a good power amp

Pretty much every amp can have a neutral sound, just depends on how you set it. I do fine with a Univox, and it doesn't even have effects selection. You want LOUD then I'd suggest Pervey, Univox, and definitely, Marshall. I'd definitely go with Marshalls, because they are so much more flexible as to what they have and what you can add on to them.

The Martin Sigma Guitar

Could some body please help me,i know nothing about guitars,but my dad has asked me to check up on the martin sigma D-19 guitar for him.
He has seen one for sale in a shop and needs to know when these guitars were stopped being produced in asia.
Any information on this particular make and model of guitar would be helpful. Thank you, Adam

The Martin Sigma Guitar

The Martin Sigma Guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : The Martin Sigma Guitar

lokkin for tabs

I'm looking for gutair tabs to the song "Epiphany" by Staind. I've looked at a couple sights but I can't find them. Does anyone have them??

Re: lookin for tabs fro "Epiphany" by Staind

: I'm looking for gutair tabs to the song "Epiphany" by Staind. I've looked at a couple sights but I can't find them. Does anyone have them??

Re: lookin for tabs fro

tabcrawler.com

looking fo tabs for blink 182 adam song

: I'm looking for gutair tabs to the song "Epiphany" by Staind. I've looked at a couple sights but I can't find them. Does anyone have them??

Re: lokkin for tabs

: I'm looking for gutair tabs to the band red hot chili peppers. I've looked at a couple sights but I can't find them. Does anyone have them??

weezer

looking for tabs for weezers "say it ant so"

if ur looking for any tabs i found a great site go to OLGA.com or .org im not sure which but the site is there if its not go to yahoo.com and serch it it will be there.......

Good luck
Rock on
and bring peach where and when we need it

if ur looking for any tabs i found a great site go to OLGA.com or .org im not sure which but the site is there if its not go to yahoo.com and serch it it will be there.......

Good luck
Rock on
and bring peach where and when we need it

lokkin for tabs

I'm looking for gutair tabs to the song "Epiphany" by Staind. I've looked at a couple sights but I can't find them. Does anyone have them??

hey,
i'm looking for "everthing sucks" by reel big fish. i can't find any site that has it.

: I'm looking for gutair tabs to the song "Epiphany" by Staind. I've looked at a couple sights but I can't find them. Does anyone have them??...You can find that at www.donnybravos.com

looking for anything at all that can help me learn to play guitar i'm trying to teach myself and its

hEy! ok i am looking for anything that could make teaching myself guitar less hard. i mean like websites, steps u have taken i need it all! right now i'm sorta just messing with the strings making little tunes that when i go to play i can't remember i'm in need that bad! i am also looking into writing music any advice would be so kick!
well thanx catch ya on the flippside!
sarah kelly -15 *canada*

Yeah, I was in such a mood before ... an year?

Which was actually whan I started playing guitar.
At the moment I play early Helloween's solos without any effort.
First of all GET SERIOUS! Only that way you can get good.
For that purpose get an idol. He must be very good, almost unreachable...
Mine was Ajren A. Luccansen [Ayreon]. I was floored by Ayreon-Chaos. And I said to myself : "I'm gonna play that one day". And I do now.
AFTERwise go to a good guitar site.
let's say...
WWW.INSANEGUITAR.NET
that's a good one.
In order to rearrange your fingers faster learn a metallica song (why not Enter sandman, it has quite a lot of excersise) and some chord-ballad (Helloween-A Tale That Wasn't Right was my first one).
That should cover most of it.
It's cool seeing guitarist like you've been, you know?

Try going here...

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~desmith/guitar/acoustic/index.html

You don't say what type of music you're looking to play, or what style you're looking to learn. If you're trying to learn to play an acoustic this is a good site to try. (It will also help with the basics of playing electric guitar)

Re: looking for anything at all that can help me learn to play guitar i'm trying to teach myself and

right well first of all, and this is a major, u should really ask yourself what sort of music do i wanna play, i started like a year ago now n i good at playin im not a master or anything but its my favourite passtime now, anyway i started cos i wanted to b able to play like tom ou of blink 182 and i wanted to play punk music! if thats the case with you or u wanna play rock whatever, i think u shud start by concentratin on riffs which are little tunes u make up yourself whatever but it helps u to practise ur stretchin n shit, u get people sayin u shud learn the acoustic chords first but thats only right if u anna play acoustic shit, so as i say practise ur riffs for a bit every day alot! then once u think ur ready to start playin the good stuff i suggest u try this website www.tabcrawler.com i think if u wanna start with sum easy stuff (no solos or hard chords) u shud practise sum blink 182, nickleback, or sum 41 or new found glory or summat, they sorta revolve round powerchords which i found hard to play u know to stretch at first but its the same crap u jus gotta practise n itl cum theres no short cut or owt but if u stick with it its great dude i love it...i hope this helped!

whats wrong with you???

you fool! the guitar isnt to be learnt, you either have it or you dont and you obviously dont. ive been playin for a band for 13 years now and weve been waitin to get our recording contract. it just sickens me to sewe little punks like you who thjink you can just waltz along and be the best.

Re: whats wrong with you steve ???

i think you have serious issues steve. she is obviously keen to learn and all u do is put her down. your a fucking peice of shit!!! i hope i meet you one day so i can spit on your face you kike. and if your band has been going for 13 years and no one has signed you then mabey your just a shit cunt and your the one who dosent have it.

whats wrong with YOU chandler???

I hope that steve kicks your ass you ignorant bastard. Don't go on a public site and start calling people kikes. Instead of getting your point across and maybe actually getting steve to listen to you, you're just offending people and making yourself look like a jackass as well.

Re: whats wrong with you???

to be learnt? what is that? What's your bands name? I'd love to try and find your music. And, maybe, if you guys have been around for 13 years looking for a contract, maybe you guys aren't good. Ever think of that? And, why yell at this person? They wanna play the guitar. You should encourage them idiot. So, you AUTOMATICALLY "had it" when you picked up a guitar and started jamming? I HIGHLY doubt it.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.