Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - June, 2002

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Amp Head Wattage? Is 90 watt's enough?

Many artists are now running 50 watt heads as the places they play don't allow them to really crank a 100 watt amp. 50 watts allows the valves to really sing. As for suggesting amps, thats hard not knowing what kind of music you play. Most good quality solid state amps sound great when played at all volume levels. The reason some amps only sound great at high volume is due to the need to really work the tubes. You don't have this problem with solid state amps. A great new solid state amp head and cab is the Hughes and Kettner Warp 7. It is designed for the Nu-metal players and has heaps of distortion and pretty good tone. It also sounds great at low volume and is rated at 100 watts.

di meola question

I just listened to the "Rite of Strings" record (clarke, ponty, al), and loved it. Who other artists can you recommend for that kind of music?

Old JBL K-120 Speakers

I have a pair of JBL K-120 speakers. They need to be reconed and I'm wondering what their relative value might be, before and after reconing.

Re: Old JBL K-120 Speakers

: I have a pair of JBL K-120 speakers. They need to be reconed and I'm wondering what their relative value might be, before and after reconing.

Before they are reconed, figure $50
After a good recone, around $100 - ebay average is $95 for a good quality K-120.

Hope this helps

Fingerstyle Guitar Workshop

Hope it isn't in-appropriate to post a notice for a workshop that costs money to attend; On Tuesday July 9th 8:00pm to 10:00pm at the Kingston School of Music, Kingston Ontario Canada I will be hosting a workshop covering basic to advanced fingerstyle techniques used in classical, flamenco, Celtic, folk and other styles. The $35.00Can. fee includes a 22 page book/CD. Reply by e-mail at guitar@afm.org to register.

Jim Graham www.mp3.com/jimgraham

dodgy back pickup, any ideas?

Hi

last christmas I bought a fernandes guitar from my local guitar shop. The guitar has a gibson stlye pickup arangement and works fine on the front pickup clean and distorted but the back pickup only works after strumming the strings realy hard and then when played with any ammount of distortion i get a wailing high pitched feedback that i can't control. I took the guitar back and after both our local technitions playing with it for a couple of months and trying countless new pickups in it they still couldnt get it working. The guitar was then sent to someone in England (i live on a little island in the English channal called Guernsey) where they put authentic Gibson pickups in it and re potted them and it still has the same problems. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with it cause i realy like this guitar and it sounds great on the front pickup its a shame that the back one is letting it down.

Re: dodgy back pickup, any ideas?

I have no idea other than a pickup problem.... especially after all the people you have bought it to, and other pickups you have tried.... so it must be in the wiring/'electornics', get a schematic and check it out thouroughly... there really isn't much to a guitar (electrically that is), and I'am really suprised a shop couldn't take care of it, maybe the easiest way is to go back to the shop and trade it in for another (same make/model you like) that 'works'. Well good luck!

: Hi

: last christmas I bought a fernandes guitar from my local guitar shop. The guitar has a gibson stlye pickup arangement and works fine on the front pickup clean and distorted but the back pickup only works after strumming the strings realy hard and then when played with any ammount of distortion i get a wailing high pitched feedback that i can't control. I took the guitar back and after both our local technitions playing with it for a couple of months and trying countless new pickups in it they still couldnt get it working. The guitar was then sent to someone in England (i live on a little island in the English channal called Guernsey) where they put authentic Gibson pickups in it and re potted them and it still has the same problems. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with it cause i realy like this guitar and it sounds great on the front pickup its a shame that the back one is letting it down.

Re: dodgy back pickup, any ideas?

Hmm.Could be a bad POT or crappy cap or diod...uh,the little thingy wired between pots.

Buckethead tabs

Buckethead Tabs sit3s!!!!

A Kay Electric Guitar

I have this really odd small kay guitar I got off a friend who didn't want it. It looks old, could be between the 60s and 80s. I have no info on it at all. It has a sunburst wood finish and silver metal pickups. It has a very powerful sound and seems to be a rythm guitar. It only has the Kay logo on the black plate at the front, NOT on the head though. The logo is "kay" in a circle. SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IT IS!!!

Guitar Tech !

I am really wanting to set myself off in the guitar tech seen but need help in what direction to go first ??

Re: Guitar Tech !

First, the word is 'scene' not seen. Secondly, research the internet for luthiers or guitar electronics, whichever is the one you're thinking about.

Best Stratocaster Copy

Best Stratocaster Copy

This popular thread has been given its own page : Best Stratocaster Copy

gibson v martin v epiphone

Hi, i like warm acoustic guitars, but my wallet does not allow me to spend $ 1000 or more on a gibson... what about epiphone guitars, are they any good? or a middle-priced martin is always better? (my dream guitar is the gibson J 160)?

thanks
Steve

Re: gibson v martin v epiphone

I don't rate them. Seagulls are the best budget-mid priced acoustic guitar maker at the moment. The S6 is magnificent.

A Seagull over a Martin (or Guild or Taylor), dude you are way too easy to please. Martin's tone is far superior to a Seagull.

Umm...I know J.W. I was comparing to an Epiphone. Let's be honest, there's a bit of a gap inbetween the title post.

Yasuki

Yasuki

This popular thread has been given its own page : Yasuki

hangar hooks

Have you guys ever heard anything about the hangar hooks made by these guys(girls?)???

I found this website during a search and was wondering
if anyone else has tried these hooks. They look pretty cool and i was thinking about buying a few to hang my axes on.

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/guitarhangers/rtdesigns_main.html">http://www.geocities.com/guitarhangers/rtdesigns_main.html</a>

Re: hangar hooks

Sorry, don't know anything about these hangers. But, I'm offering my own on my web site
at:

http://members.shaw.ca/wilkatguitars/

Mine are designed to hang two guitars or basses, and are made out of pieces of wood cut from guitar/bass body blanks
that I have left over in my shop. I also can make versions to hang 3 guitars, or more if required.
They're strong and easy to mount on any wall surface, and padded to protect the neck's finish.

Later, Bill

Wilkat Guitars

Some questions - help

Ladies and Gentlemen:

I trust your judgement and need your help/advice.

First, which wah pedal might you recommend for my violin, a Fender FV-1 electric but also an accoustic with a Barcus-Berry pickup?

Secondly, I was at somebody's house but now can't reach them. This guy had a box mounted on a rack that he patched his guitar through. It had the words "Jam___" on the front and allowed him to loop himself over and over and jam, essentially, with himself!

I thought this is wonderful for ear training, and I'm looking for the same unit or the software equivalent. Please help. Thanks!

Last, I want to hook my fiddle to my amp with wireless instead of cord to amp. What is the gear for this?

Thanks in advance

Lyle Holoowbody guitar

Hi, Does anybody know anything about a Lyle Guitar. The sticker inside says model # is 1232t. It is a beautiful guitar and I am curious about it. Thanks Ann

Re: Lyle Holoowbody guitar

: Hi, Does anybody know anything about a Lyle Guitar. The sticker inside says model # is 1232t. It is a beautiful guitar and I am curious about it. Thanks Ann

Hi Ann, I just won an "unknown" 12-string on eBay that turns out to be a Lyle. I see in the Blue Book of Electric Guitars that they were made 1969-1980 in Japan by the Matsumoku Company, who also was making Aria / Aria and also Epiphone guitars during the early 1970's. I'd love to see a pic of yours, I have a pic and can tell you more about mine once it arrives in a few days.
Rob

HOW DO YOU GUYS WRITE SONGS

I USED TO BE A DRUMMER IN A BAND AND NOW I AM A GUITARIST/VOCALIST AND I THINK I HAVE WRITERS BLOCK, WHAT ARE SOME METHODS YOU GUYS USE TO WRITE SONGS

Re: HOW DO YOU GUYS WRITE SONGS

Chemicals... lots of chemicals!!!

: I USED TO BE A DRUMMER IN A BAND AND NOW I AM A GUITARIST/VOCALIST AND I THINK I HAVE WRITERS BLOCK, WHAT ARE SOME METHODS YOU GUYS USE TO WRITE SONGS

doesn't work. tried it.

: Chemicals... lots of chemicals!!!

: : I USED TO BE A DRUMMER IN A BAND AND NOW I AM A GUITARIST/VOCALIST AND I THINK I HAVE WRITERS BLOCK, WHAT ARE SOME METHODS YOU GUYS USE TO WRITE SONGS

SONGS

its easy you think of sum thing u care about or hate and put words into it.:-)

Dude, it's always the kiss of death when the drummer says 'guys, i'd really love to sing.'

But seriously, you can learn a lot and be inspired by jamming and writing with another person. Also, find some songs you like and tinker with them - maybe change the tempo, new lyrics, throw in or take out a chord - you'll get inspired somewhere along the line.

I write the occasional tune. I also play drums/sample sequencing. I'm not too bad with choruses, but fall a bit flat on the rest. Personally, I get the rhytmn going and use any samples I think make a useful hook. From there on in, it's a slow but methodical layering of various samples and noises.

Finally, it's usually the case that your better ideas will happen away from the writing process. So either carry a little dictation recorder with you or work out a way of notating your ideas. Way long time ago I had a little melodic idea and it stuck in my head. I did screw all about it and let it go. Then after a couple of years I heard pretty much the same thing on a very popular album. I laughed and got back to my beer. And no, I ain't gonna say which band as I'll only come across as a bit of an idiot. It did happen tho...

: I USED TO BE A DRUMMER IN A BAND AND NOW I AM A GUITARIST/VOCALIST AND I THINK I HAVE WRITERS BLOCK, WHAT ARE SOME METHODS YOU GUYS USE TO WRITE SONGS

well, I was a drummer too, but I also always played guitar on my own. Now I play guitar in a band. Well I dont think there's a standard rule to write a song (music or lyrics).It depends on how you feel and on how is your way to be in relationship with music. Well, when I "create" a music for a song, most of the times I have already the riff on my mind!I have only to "translate it " with my guitar!Other times instead, while I am playin "randomly" just 4 fun, it happens that I "match" a good riff.My advice is to try to find out which is your personal way to be in touch with music.

A challenge

A challenge

This popular thread has been given its own page : A challenge

HELP!

HELP!

This popular thread has been given its own page : HELP!

WHICH CAB WILL GIVE ME MORE BASS: 2X12 or 4X10?

GENERALLY WHICH TYPE OF CAB WILL GIVE ME MORE BASS: 2X12 or 4X10? THIS IS FOR GUITAR NOT BASS GUITAR.

Re: WHICH CAB WILL GIVE ME MORE BASS: 2X12 or 4X10?

i reckon using a cab with 4 x 12 celestion cones would be the best, i also suggest using Vintage 30 cones as the frequency response is 70Hz - 5KHz, at 60 Watt RMS, obviously far bassier than a cone rated at 100Hz, but hey that's just my opinion

Re: WHICH CAB WILL GIVE ME MORE BASS: 2X12 or 4X10?

in answer to your question, a 2x12 should give you a lower extention of bass, but !! a 4x10 might sound a bit bigger (if the 2x12 and 4x10 cabs are of similar sixe) but this will be down to a more prominent mid range, ive tried both and i chose the 2x12 for the most bottom end. good luck

Marshall Valvestate 8040 or Laney PL 50 ?

Marshall Valvestate 8040 or Laney PL 50 ?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Marshall Valvestate 8040 or Laney PL 50 ?

looking for 70's SVT cab

looking for 70's SVT cab, also looking for hard or softshell case for same.

floyed rose

I just got a new Fender deluxe fat strat and I cant figure out how to lower the fucking strings on the floyed Rose system. Its prolly easy but im retarded.If any one has instructions they could send please do.Pictures would also be nice so im not as confused.

Re: floyed rose

the floyd rose system is a tremelo and locking nut, well first undo the screws in the nut, then tune your guitar the best way you can, also make sure that the micro tuners on the bridge are screw all the way in, then do up the nut, and use the micro tuners on the bridge to fine tune you strings, easy really!!

Ya just lower the bridge screws to lower the strings, heres a site for FR setup:

http://www.homeguitarrepair.com/tremolo/tremolo1.html

: I just got a new Fender deluxe fat strat and I cant figure out how to lower the fucking strings on the floyed Rose system. Its prolly easy but im retarded.If any one has instructions they could send please do.Pictures would also be nice so im not as confused.

How would change the sound of my Strat if i would install Floyd Rose pickups?

How would change the sound of my Strat if i would install Floyd Rose pickups?

They are really cheap here in Germany. Don´t ask me why. But all i know about the Floyd Rose pickups is that they have a good sound. But how would it sound? More highs or what? I have a Mesa Boogie Mark IV and a Fender Strat. Maybe more sustain?

Re: How would change the sound of my Strat if i would install Floyd Rose pickups?

I only know of floyd rose trems... didn't know there were pickups under his name... and if you put a floyd rose trem on a strat you'll be doing a little carving.

: How would change the sound of my Strat if i would install Floyd Rose pickups?

: They are really cheap here in Germany. Don´t ask me why. But all i know about the Floyd Rose pickups is that they have a good sound. But how would it sound? More highs or what? I have a Mesa Boogie Mark IV and a Fender Strat. Maybe more sustain?

: I just got a new Fender deluxe fat strat and I cant figure out how to lower the fucking strings on the floyed Rose system. Its prolly easy but im retarded.If any one has instructions they could send please do.Pictures would also be nice so im not as confused.

did you find out how to do it coz i have the same problem i dont want to mess with it coz i don't know what im doing
ps that site didn't work for me it must have shut down

Brief History of Valley Arts???

Question re: pre-Samick Valley Arts. According to an article I read, Samick bought Valley Arts in '93. Easy enough... but I need help/info re: the California Pro model. Was this one both pre & post Samick? I've seen pics of actual Valley Arts & the Samick "valley arts design" headstocks, but I've come accross a headstock that has large, orange font across most of the available space below the tuners that is VERY different from either of the other logo styles I've seen before. Also has a blue & orange globe-type logo on the "ball" part of the headstock where the typical Valley Arts logo would normally be. Any help in the matter is appreciated. Thanks!

mY sOlOs ArE sHiT......aNy IdEaS???????

I've been kickin' ass and a half on rythms for (9)yrs.
And I've just entered a band that requires lead guitar
and Im just wondering if there is anyone out there that
can give me some advice...............................
P.S..........It's a heavy metal band and were kickin' some fuckin' ass but,(((((((((mY sOlOs ArE sHiT))))))))

Frank Zappa 1988 stage guitar a Strat or Ibanez?

Frank Zappa 1988 stage guitar a Strat or Ibanez?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Frank Zappa 1988 stage guitar a Strat or Ibanez?

GT6 Patches

Does anyone know where to find text versions of decent patches for the Roland GT6?

Re: GT6 Patches

: Does anyone know where to find text versions of decent patches for the Roland GT6?, a brutal distorcion Cynic like

Decent effects box for under £30

Hi, i know nothing about effects at all:
Can anyone could tell me what the difference is between pedals and the box processor things?
Or do you buy them together...??
I want something that has a nice sound to go with my Tanglewood Pioneer and (imminently) a Marshall MG 100 W. Just basic sounds, nothing fancy!!!
I play mostly Satriani, Knopfler,- bit of everything, BUT i love knopfler's sound most.
THANKYOU!!!

Re: Decent effects box for under £30

Buy Digitech Rp100 /200 or if you have more money rp 300.

www.phluid.org/board

will people stop pretending to be me,

[The body of this post has been lost]

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.