Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - June, 2002

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

ovation 1768

want to know approximate value...probably made in early to mid 80's

how do you play rifts ?

Could someone give relevant info on playing rifts please

Re: how do you play rifts ?

: Could someone give relevant info on playing rifts please
Hi. Rifts, well ... ever played in a jazz band where you got to just "go" for a while on your own? It's a beautiful thing.

I recommend a few ideas below but there are many ways to anwser this question and it would be easier if you were here to hear.

Practice little sections of great-sounding ditties separately, add a few together, practice 'til its fluid (if you make a mistake while practicing go over and over and over to correct the error and then try from the beginning with the well-practiced bit). Listen out for nice sounding long sections of playing, try to emulate what you hear on your own guitar, customise and hey, you have a rif

: Could someone give relevant info on playing rifts please

Do you mean 'riffs'? To tell you the truth, most guitarists either make up their own or sit down with a recording of their favorite riffs and a 4 track (today you can use a digital software recorder and a recording in "wav" format, my favorite way). Slow the riffs way down and learn them. Or learn to read tab and buy some commercially available transcriptions (containing leads) of your favorite music. The tone-deaf (like me) had to learn scales and modes and how they function witin give a key. Then you can apply your riffs to any song in any key.
That's how I learned. I'm not one who playing lead came natural to. But today I'm a happily employed professional today.
Courtney

: : Could someone give relevant info on playing rifts please

: Do you mean 'riffs'? To tell you the truth, most guitarists either make up their own or sit down with a recording of their favorite riffs and a 4 track (today you can use a digital software recorder and a recording in "wav" format, my favorite way). Slow the riffs way down and learn them. Or learn to read tab and buy some commercially available transcriptions (containing leads) of your favorite music. The tone-deaf (like me) had to learn scales and modes and how they function witin given key. Then you can apply your riffs to any song in any key.
: That's how I learned. I'm not one who playing lead came natural to. But today I'm a happily employed professional today.
: Courtney

I NEED INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR FLOYD ROSE II

I NEED INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR FLOYD ROSE II

This popular thread has been given its own page : I NEED INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR FLOYD ROSE II

Question about Rewiring a strat input jack.

Question about Rewiring a strat input jack.

This popular thread has been given its own page : Question about Rewiring a strat input jack.

Laney

looking for instructional booklet for Tubefusion [TF] 700 120 watt head and box

free band-in-a-box download!

download free band-in-a-box! go to

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/biabfsg

Age of jap squier strat?

Anyone know the age of my squier strat?
serial no. E639288

Re: Age of jap squier strat?

Definitely 1986.

sounds for roland gp16

hi, I´m from Spain and I would like you to try give me differents good sounds for this processor.. thank you too much. Martin #91#

order of effects help!

im wondering if there is any difference in the order i plug in to my stomp boxes. what should come first? last? ect... Right now i go through a Vox wah, into a ibanez GE-10 eq, then a Danelectro chorus. to switch from clean to lead, all i use is the channel pedal that came with my marshall 3203 artist head. any suggestions or helpful wedsites out there? thanks all

Re: order of effects help!

I'd go Guitar-WAH-amp, then in the send/return loop i'd go send-Chorus-EQ-return.

Hard Day's Night Chord

Response to the response..It has been suggested that the opening chord was the D7sus with the G added. Pretty tricky on a six string let along a twelve string. Then the suggestion that the A string is muted. Nope..there is definatly an A in the voicing. I still convinced that there is more than one instrument, guitar, piano, 2 guitars..I lean on the guitar, plus piano theory. Since piano was used in the instrumental break, and the combination of 2 guitars playing a variation of either the D7sus or G7sus4 would clash. The chord sounds too clean to me for that to be the case..whatever..

Re: Hard Day's Night Chord

I think it's two guitars playing two different chords. A socalled "polychord".

: Response to the response..It has been suggested that the opening chord was the D7sus with the G added. Pretty tricky on a six string let along a twelve string. Then the suggestion that the A string is muted. Nope..there is definatly an A in the voicing. I still convinced that there is more than one instrument, guitar, piano, 2 guitars..I lean on the guitar, plus piano theory. Since piano was used in the instrumental break, and the combination of 2 guitars playing a variation of either the D7sus or G7sus4 would clash. The chord sounds too clean to me for that to be the case..whatever..

Re: Hard Day's Night Chord

I have the luxury of listening to a couple of the first takes of the song when the Beatles are still rehearsing their parts individually. Here's what I hear: George Harrison, playing his Rick 360/12, is playing a Dm11. From low to high that's X00213. John Lennon is playing his Gibson Acoustic in a variation of G major 320033. Paul is playing octaves on his bass...D. Now George Martin is also filling in on the piano with I don't know what. Ringo Starr is striking the snare with a quick bang. That's the essense of the big sound you hear at the head of the song.

Hard Day's Night opening Chord

A follow up..Anybody ever think of emailing George Martin on this. He must have an email out there somewhere. He's the only one who would know for sure how they did it.

Re: Hard Day's Night opening Chord

Has anyone ever asked Paul McCartney about it? Seems to me he's the obvious person to ask and is most likely to know the answer! Also, on the subject of the chords to A Hard Day's Night, I think most guitar tabs I've seen may give the wrong chords to the 2nd half of the bridge (When I'm home, etc.). They always say it's: G, Em, C, D, but to my ears, it sound like: G, C/E bass, A/C# bass, D. Anyone else out there hear it that way????

Regarding the 2nd half of the bridge, try G, Em, C7 D7 (you might want to mess with different inversions (most likely x32310 and x00212)- On the first of the 2 bridges, it sounds like the bass briefly hits an A against the C7 (sounds nice) but then plays a C against the C7 in the 2nd bridge...

: Has anyone ever asked Paul McCartney about it? Seems to me he's the obvious person to ask and is most likely to know the answer! Also, on the subject of the chords to A Hard Day's Night, I think most guitar tabs I've seen may give the wrong chords to the 2nd half of the bridge (When I'm home, etc.). They always say it's: G, Em, C, D, but to my ears, it sound like: G, C/E bass, A/C# bass, D. Anyone else out there hear it that way????

I just heard a radio interview with Laurence Juber, who was Paul McCartney's lead guitarist with Wings (Juber is a phenomenal guitarist, by the way www.laurencejuber.com). The host of the show, Greg Kihn (yes, THAT Greg Kihn) asked him about that very chord. Juber said he had spent time playing guitar with George Harrison, and George showed him the chord. It's a G7sus, and he played it. It was perfect. I'm assuming he played it:

--3--
--3--
--5--
--3--
--5--
--3--

I've also heard it suggested that you might mute the B string:

--3--
--x--
--5--
--3--
--5--
--3--

Harrison played a 12-string Rickenbacker on that song, which added to the fullness. Juber also commented that Harrison had studied jazz guitar and used lots of jazz chords and clever fingerings, not just "cowboy" chords. That G7sus chord, for example, would normally lead you back to a song in the key of C, but the song is in G. Fun little tidbits...

This chord sounds very close to the intro to 'Venus' by Shocking Blue. ??
PK

: I just heard a radio interview with Laurence Juber, who was Paul McCartney's lead guitarist with Wings (Juber is a phenomenal guitarist, by the way www.laurencejuber.com). The host of the show, Greg Kihn (yes, THAT Greg Kihn) asked him about that very chord. Juber said he had spent time playing guitar with George Harrison, and George showed him the chord. It's a G7sus, and he played it. It was perfect. I'm assuming he played it:

: --3--
: --5--

: I've also heard it suggested that you might mute the B string:

: --x--

: Harrison played a 12-string Rickenbacker on that song, which added to the fullness. Juber also commented that Harrison had studied jazz guitar and used lots of jazz chords and clever fingerings, not just "cowboy" chords. That G7sus chord, for example, would normally lead you back to a song in the key of C, but the song is in G. Fun little tidbits...

figuring out chords to a song

Is there some really good software out there that I can use to help me find the chords to recorded music so I can decipher and write my own sheet music to the songs that I like? For Guitar?

Re: figuring out chords to a song

I don't know any that will 'decipher' a song... check out Autotune (by Antares) it might be able to do some of it but it's been awhile since I've used it, and it would be way overkill for that purpose, but sure theres something out there, just keep searching (ask the people at protools, they are pretty good)... there are alot of programs (free ones too) that transcribe what you play, you could try them (remove drums/vocals from track and run that through one and see what comes out... stuff like that), your ear is your best tool though, and for most songs you can find tab to get the general idea, and then play along to the song to get the rest down. Well good luck.

: Is there some really good software out there that I can use to help me find the chords to recorded music so I can decipher and write my own sheet music to the songs that I like? For Guitar?

Re: figuring out chords to a song

Check out power tab editor- it's free and there are hundreds of power tabs in most styles that you can learn. It plays the song on your screen and shows the fretboard as the song is playing. Stop or pause to learn chords or leads! Hope this helps.
:
: : Is there some really good software out there that I can use to help me find the chords to recorded music so I can decipher and write my own sheet music to the songs that I like? For Guitar?

Is this a fake 70,s yamaha bass

Is this a fake 70,s yamaha bass

This popular thread has been given its own page : Is this a fake 70,s yamaha bass

Ovation Pinnacle 385T 12 string

Ovation Pinnacle 385T 12 string

This popular thread has been given its own page : Ovation Pinnacle 385T 12 string

Ibanez GRX70

Ibanez GRX70

This popular thread has been given its own page : Ibanez GRX70

Lets play some blues

I don;t know how to run this fucking coputer

Re: Lets play some blues

Well, that message came through loud and clear. I think youre catching on.

: I don;t know how to run this fucking coputer

Epiphone....are they really that bad?

Epiphone....are they really that bad?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Epiphone....are they really that bad?

TOLKKI HUMBUCKER?

TOLKKI HUMBUCKER?

Re: TOLKKI HUMBUCKER?

Yes, he uses humbuckers, just check ESP guitars and whatever pickups they put in them are the ones he uses.

Not really, ESP's come out with EMG's in them and he now uses Seymour Duncan Passive humbuckers. He asked for passive humbuckers to be put in his new ESP Stratovarius and ESP put Seymour Duncan's in them.

lascia lì, sfigato! ;)

Buzzing Marshall AVT 20

I have an AVT 20 that buzzes badly (especially with overdrive on). I have tried many cables and guitars and it buzzes just the same. if I unplug the cable from the amp the buzzing is gone. Do you have any ideas of what is causing this and how I can stop it? thanks.

Re: Buzzing Marshall AVT 20

I have an AVT50 and have had the same problem on occasion. I may have to do with the outlet your plugged into or is there by chance any flouresent lightning nearby?

: I have an AVT 20 that buzzes badly (especially with overdrive on). I have tried many cables and guitars and it buzzes just the same. if I unplug the cable from the amp the buzzing is gone. Do you have any ideas of what is causing this and how I can stop it? thanks.

Re: Buzzing Marshall AVT 20

yup, that was it. a damn fish tank light!

roland sde-3000 digital delay

can someone tell me how to make the connections on a roland sde-3000 digital delay to get everything hooked-up properly to use all of the functions, connected to a peavey transtube/supreme amp head.............thank you very much!

Rickenbacker bridge screw problem

I have a problem when playing my Rick 360 model. I always have my hand on the bridge when playing specially for muting the strings. the screws always losen up (to the point than one or 2 of them almost unscrew come completely off!!!). I always notice it in the middle of a song when they're scraping against my right hand.

Is there any way arround this problem? should I tape the screws? I need help, I haven't been playing my rick because of this... help

How much do you think this guitar is worth?

I found a 1960 Gibson es-135 and was wondering how much my "treasure" is worth. It is in just a regular sunburst and it sounds great. It is very good condition for such an old guitar. So if anyone knows, or has a guess please inform me ASAP. Thanks

Re: How much do you think this guitar is worth?

I found an old acustic guitar that was my G G grandmothers that was probally made in the early 1920s. it's name brand is Slivertone. if anyone has any details on it please send me an e mail.

Chorus, Leslie and Vibrato from 1 pedal!

Just saw the new DLS pedal and listened to the Chorus, Leslie and Vibrato samples. Pretty cool!
http://www.musictoyz.com/dls.htm

Looking for elite.

I own a Ovation celebrity deluxe and like it very much (4.5 of 5 stars)but i was looking to upgrade and wondering if I could find a used one preferably in the elite to custom elite kind. Color not to important. And which is better?!? Loop station or boomerang?

Anastacia tabs !

Anastacia tabs !

This popular thread has been given its own page : Anastacia tabs !

Anastacia tabs !

Where to find tabs for Anastacias song "Who's gonna stop the
rain" ????????

Which software is the best for guitar->computer recording?

Hi...
I guess my subject says it all... I wanted to know if ne1 can tell me which software will suit best for layer recording from guitar to comp... all these gen softwares are usually trials...can u tell me a good availble full ver software for free?

Re: Which software is the best for guitar->computer recording?

its not for free, but i use cool edit pro, and i find it very good, with a lot of built in effects (which you can preview before you apply). i have recorded a lot of stuff with this programme and (although therewill be something better out there im sure) have had great results even using an old awe soundblaster sound card. email me for a few samples if you would like to here. best of luck. tom. ps, i think there is a free programme demo of steinbergs cubasis which is supposed to be good

Re: Which software is the best for guitar->computer recording?

Go <a href="http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/">here</a> and check out the multi-track recording software section.

: its not for free, but i use cool edit pro, and i find it very good, with a lot of built in effects (which you can preview before you apply). i have recorded a lot of stuff with this programme and (although therewill be something better out there im sure) have had great results even using an old awe soundblaster sound card. email me for a few samples if you would like to here. best of luck. tom. ps, i think there is a free programme demo of steinbergs cubasis which is supposed to be good

Are the tabs correct???

Are the tabs correct???

This popular thread has been given its own page : Are the tabs correct???

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.