Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - June, 2002

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

New/2nd hand price of a Westone Prestige 117 electric guitar?

Any ideas? Doesn't matter about currency.

Need advice on buying an electric guitar (not beginner)

I've recently had the urge to buy a new electric guitar since my
current one is falling apart and sounds like driftwood with fishing
line on it... I've been playing for over 10 years but have only
recently got back into playing regularly.

Here are my requirements:
at least one humbucker (2 hum 1 s.c. or 1 hum or 2 s.c.)
6 strings (not 7)
Solid body - normal strat style cutaway
22 frets (24 preferred)
Under $1000 australian dollars (that's about $600 US)

What I'm not sure about:

New or used? Obviously a well looked after 2nd-hand guitar could be
a better buy than a new one as well as having character and warmth
(maybe?) Is a warranty really needed?

Floyd rose floating tremelo/whammy bar? The hassle of tuning
and changing strings as well as the price makes this something
I could probably live without. I love Steve Vai's playing but
I don't know if I'd need screaming harmonics everyday... but
still, I'd love to play a 'flutter' now and then...

What brand is the best value for money?
Ibanez, Jackson, Washburn, Yamaha...

Should I avoid any particular brands/models.

What else should I look out for?

I would be playing progressive rock/metal and maybe cover songs
(in a function band) so I need a guitar that is versatile
to a degree. It would be used for gigs and (home) studio use.

Thanks,

Dennis B.

Re: Need advice on buying an electric guitar (not beginner)

Hi. I just got back into playing too within the last 3 years after a 10yr. layoff. I would recommend a fender fat strat. They can be found for around $400 new and the quality is outstanding. If your going to buy used, just be sure to try everything out twice and especially play around with the input jack and volume and tone controls to make sure all the electronics are up to par. I've alway been told this.... Buy new if youre looking for amps and pedal boards and effects, but shop around when looking for guitars because there are only so many things that can go wrong with a guitar that cant be easily fixed.... good luck.

: I've recently had the urge to buy a new electric guitar since my
: current one is falling apart and sounds like driftwood with fishing
: line on it... I've been playing for over 10 years but have only
: recently got back into playing regularly.

: Here are my requirements:
: at least one humbucker (2 hum 1 s.c. or 1 hum or 2 s.c.)
: 6 strings (not 7)
: Solid body - normal strat style cutaway
: 22 frets (24 preferred)
: Under $1000 australian dollars (that's about $600 US)

: What I'm not sure about:

: New or used? Obviously a well looked after 2nd-hand guitar could be
: a better buy than a new one as well as having character and warmth
: (maybe?) Is a warranty really needed?

: Floyd rose floating tremelo/whammy bar? The hassle of tuning
: and changing strings as well as the price makes this something
: I could probably live without. I love Steve Vai's playing but
: I don't know if I'd need screaming harmonics everyday... but
: still, I'd love to play a 'flutter' now and then...

: What brand is the best value for money?
: Ibanez, Jackson, Washburn, Yamaha...

: Should I avoid any particular brands/models.

: What else should I look out for?

: I would be playing progressive rock/metal and maybe cover songs
: (in a function band) so I need a guitar that is versatile
: to a degree. It would be used for gigs and (home) studio use.

: Thanks,

: Dennis B.

buddy, it sounds like youre requirements are edging around a Yamaha... but then again a price range is needed. personally i can do well with a fender for about 500, and am not complaining. if you actually have been playing this long then go for a nice model Yamaha G-16 would be my opinion, but if you are intermediate just get the X-C by Fender. You dont sound that great so jus do what ya want.

buddy, it sounds like youre requirements are edging around a Yamaha... but then again a price range is needed. personally i can do well with a fender for about 500, and am not complaining. if you actually have been playing this long then go for a nice model Yamaha G-16 would be my opinion, but if you are intermediate just get the X-C by Fender. You dont sound that great so jus do what ya want.

Jeff Beck Guitar Shop

On the first song of Jeff Beck Guitar Shop album, "1. Guitar Shop". the words say (@2:10 into the song)... "it's a scaled down strat style body with a feel of a Les Paul." i think meaning it has a 24.75" scale, like a Les Paul, as opposed to the usual strat @ 25.5".

Does Jeff play a strat like that? i'd love to have one.

Re: Jeff Beck Guitar Shop

i dont think so, he uses a standard strat (with the neck shaped for him), he also has a fender jeff beck model, although, i dont know if he uses one. he sure is a great guitarist though

Re: Jeff Beck Guitar Shop

I remember when that album came out. I read an interview with Terry Bozzio, the drummer on that album, and the voice in the song you mentioned. If I remember correctly, he said that he was just making up stuff, to give the feel of sort of a car salesman. I don't think that it was in reference to any particular guitar that Jeff owns or owned. There was a period of time when he played a Jackson, which is essentially a scaled down strat. Hope this helps.

BOSS ME10 wiring diagram

Help!!! Got an ME10 in for repair and live /Neutral connection on board75123570 has been de-soldered and
connections not marked up. blue /brown to 504 / 505 ???

Re: BOSS ME10 wiring diagram

: Help!!! Got an ME10 in for repair and live /Neutral connection on board75123570 has been de-soldered and
: connections not marked up. blue /brown to 504 / 505 ???

you're correct!

I need some encouragement

I need some encouragement

This popular thread has been given its own page : I need some encouragement

Who's your favourite guitarist?

I would say John Petrucci from Dream Theater followed
very closely by Steve Vai with Joe Satriani not far
behind.

What about you? (remember I'm not asking who's the
BEST, just who's playing you like the most)

Dennis B.

Re: Who's your favourite guitarist?

Its almost becoming embarrasing to say it these days , but I dont care..... Stevie Ray Vaughan is my favorite. I'd love to be able to rip through the notes and capture the sound that he had. I just read "Caught in the Crossfire" and I have the utmost respect for where he came from and how he got to where he was. Absolutely motivating.

: I would say John Petrucci from Dream Theater followed
: very closely by Steve Vai with Joe Satriani not far
: behind.

: What about you? (remember I'm not asking who's the
: BEST, just who's playing you like the most)

:All those guys are great and I love them,but,Steve Morse is the man.He is someone they could all learn from,and some probably have.Many more styles,more technical,dexterity and timing OH MY GOD!!! Listen to some old Dixie Dregs and The Steve Morse Band and see what I am talkin about! Ilove his work with Deep Purple the last few years,but it does not do him absolute justice. STEVE MORSE HANDSDOWN!!!!!! Its almost becoming embarrasing to say it these days , but I dont care..... Stevie Ray Vaughan is my favorite. I'd love to be able to rip through the notes and capture the sound that he had. I just read "Caught in the Crossfire" and I have the utmost respect for where he came from and how he got to where he was. Absolutely motivating.

: : I would say John Petrucci from Dream Theater followed
: : very closely by Steve Vai with Joe Satriani not far
: : behind.

: : What about you? (remember I'm not asking who's the
: : BEST, just who's playing you like the most)

: : Dennis B.

probably steve vai, satriani, jeff beck and greg howe, but my all time favorite is allan holdsworth

Randy Rhodes,Eddie Hazel,Tal Farlow.Oh yeah,Steve Vai.

Marty Friedman, i bought his guitar. Petrucci is very impressive also, and Luca Turilli.

Wes Boreland all the way. he has been an inspiration to start guitar!

i have to agree with dj. SRV had what some may only dream for. no schooling, ect.. just a way of feeling how a guitar should be played. And how he did just that.

: I would say John Petrucci from Dream Theater followed
: very closely by Steve Vai with Joe Satriani not far
: behind.

: What about you? (remember I'm not asking who's the
: BEST, just who's playing you like the most)

Too many favorites,David Gilmour,Tommy Emmanuel,SRV,Paco de Lucia to name a few

oh yeah, i almost forgot. Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits. Anyone else a fan of his style?

tom delonge from blink182

nigel tuffnel all the way

Satriani is the man, and he's got a new album, strange beautiful music (June 25, 2002).
Vai plays fast, Petrucci is a great artist, but Satriani will allways be the lead man of the G3. Talking about G3, Eric Jonhson is also a great guitar player.
As I see it, Mike Stern and Pat Metheny are the best jazz guitar players around.

eric jonhson

: Satriani is the man, and he's got a new album, strange beautiful music (June 25, 2002).
: Vai plays fast, Petrucci is a great artist, but Satriani will allways be the lead man of the G3. Talking about G3, Eric Jonhson is also a great guitar player.
: As I see it, Mike Stern and Pat Metheny are the best jazz guitar players around.

good question. Probably Astennue(Covennant, Dimmu Borgir...) then trey azathoth (Morbid angel), Then Marty Friedman (just have to love Cacophony)

id say my favourite guitarist well i have a few a mixture of shredders and good meoldic players: nuno bettencourt(extreme) kirk hammet(metallica) brian may(queen) richie sambora(bon jovi) john fruschiante(rhcp)

he pisses all over you and your heros. and why is it you all pick lead guitarists as your favorite ?, i'll tell you why, cos you are all disapearing up your own arses like your fukin hero's. rhythm is where it starts and ends, anything in between is just an air of arrogance that wont try to fit in the band cos its just "look at me, im blessed with show off technique". fuck that !, but since your asking, i like james burton.

Favorite guitar player.

You do have a point.If you can't play rythym guitar,then you're only half a guitar player!
My teacher,1978

Bob The Nob pisses all over you and your heros. and why is it you all pick lead guitarists as your favorite ?, i'll tell you why, cos you are all disapearing up your own arses like your fukin hero's. rhythm is where it starts and ends, anything in between is just an air of arrogance that wont try to fit in the band cos its just "look at me, im blessed with show off technique". fuck that !, but since your asking, i like james burton.

My favorite is Jerry Cantrell(Alice In Chains) and Zakk Wylde(Ozzy Osbourne) ... they are 2 of the best guitarist ever ... to me.... they have alot of really good ones though

oooooooppppppssssss.....new to this....
Dave Mustaine of MEGADETH is the man... his stuff is so complicated and intense... talk about melody!!!

Voxton guitar

Voxton guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Voxton guitar

Starforce?

Starforce?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Starforce?

Mann Base, model AJ - 911

I need info on this model, it needs some parts and I'm interested in it's lineage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

shielding pickups?

Is there a way to shield my epiphone les paul humbucker pickups? or would i just have to buy new ones to do that? i like how they sound, but the slightest interference causes a quiet hum (like if a computer is in the same room). if i did buy new ones, what would you suggest? I play both heavy stuff and jazz so i need something versatile.

thanks
mike

Re: shielding pickups?

Check out: http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/index.html
there some good info there (too much to write for here)

:
: Is there a way to shield my epiphone les paul humbucker pickups? or would i just have to buy new ones to do that? i like how they sound, but the slightest interference causes a quiet hum (like if a computer is in the same room). if i did buy new ones, what would you suggest? I play both heavy stuff and jazz so i need something versatile.

: thanks
: mike

Morris guitar Les Paul model

Morris guitar Les Paul model

This popular thread has been given its own page : Morris guitar Les Paul model

Takamine EG560C-BS

Takamine EG560C-BS

This popular thread has been given its own page : Takamine EG560C-BS

Carlos Accoustic Guitar

A neighbor gave me this accoustic (classic)
guitar.Has a great sound.
The brand is Carlos (# 104) made in Brazil.
How good is this guitar?Please remove"remove"
before replying to me.Any info will be greatly
appreciated.

Re: Carlos Accoustic Guitar

my roomate has a Carlos given to him , but says it is made in Korea, I'd like to see a pic if possible,and I love its sound, so please sell it!

Re: Carlos Accoustic Guitar

i was also given a carlos accoustic 12 string guitar and im wondering if this guitar is worth anything.i can't find anything about this brand...

For some reason,

freaking BS, I enjoyed the IP http://www.healhome.com/pharmacy/zithromax-side-effects.html

Het begint op een vendetta te lijken, dat geeft niet hoor maar Dr. Phil zou zeggen

Hehe, ik dacht ook meteen aan dat beetje invloed op http://www.healhome.com/pharmacy/zithromax-side-effects.html

Zucht. En ik heb al zo'n last van frequent lozen van flatus en RSI.

Zucht. En ik heb al zo'n last van frequent lozen van flatus en RSI. http://getaudios.topcities.com/

You are right ofcourse... But...

die Reet is anders een gemene man... http://www.pbite.com/dogs/dog-training-equipment.html

Zucht. En ik heb al zo'n last van frequent lozen van flatus en RSI.

ummmmmmmmm whats this mummy?? http://mac-os-education-mathematics.flywebs.com/water-tank-functions.html

jorge morel - pelude for olga

I'm searching guitar sheetmusic: "Prelude for Olga", Jorge Morel.
Thanks

WHICH GUITAR??

I am in the market for a new acoustic guitar. I am looking for one with a cutaway style body and also a nut width of 1.8" or higher. I currently play a Seagull S6+Folk, and I love it, but it is not a cutaway. Can anyone give me some advice on a good guitar that fits these criteria. Thanks all.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.