Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - November, 2002

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Does anyone know how to play Devil Went Down to Georgia

: I think this would be a really cool song to do, but I can't find the tab anywhere. Little help here!

Ken - If you have not found the tab for Devil Went Down to Georgia, try this link.
http://www.jaybuckey.com/Devil%20Went%20Down%20to%20Georgia%20(Guitar).pdf

Re: Does anyone know how to play Devil Went Down to Georgia

Here's a tab
http://www.cowboylyrics.com/tabs/DanielsCharlie/DevilWentToGeorgiatab.html

ernie ball silhouette

Interested in buying a music man silhouette and want feedback about it.

Re: ernie ball silhouette

I have a silhouette Special and I love it! After buying a month later I bought an Axis They reall y make the best and most comfortable guitars out there. I have no idea what type of single coils they use on it but they have SUCH a warm tone. Even at my guitar lessons I play it out of a 15 watt Park Amp that is pretty cheesy and the sound that comes out of it is even Great there!

Nylon vs Steel?

I am about to get a decent instrument. My guitar is a piece of crap by any standard (cheapest guitar on the store wall) and is very difficult to hold down a bar because of how high the strings are and how bent the neck is. Any guitar in the shop is at least a little (usually a lot) easier to play. So I've decided to "graduate" to a new guitar.

Here is the crux of my issue: I am not sure if I should go for a nylon-string or stay with a steel-string (with lowered strings). I really love the sound of each. I have never played a nylon string except in guitar shops briefly, but I have always found them beautiful sounding. I have played a steel string for 3 years and I feel the same way about their sound. Of course bar chords and fingerwork (my two goals now) seem to be much easier on a nylon-string so I was thinking maybe to start there to make my immediate goals easier.

Then there is this other voice that says to stick with the steel-string until I can play what I am trying to play on it and then see if I still want to play around with nylon strings (i.e. - don't cop out). Either way, I know I will end up playing both instruments in time. The question plaguing me is which to "start" with. I know it is ultimately up to personal preference, and that increases the dilemma because at this point I don't have a
preference. I really like them both.

So what I am hoping to get from any of you out there who play both nylon and steel strings or have moved from playing one to the other is help with any factors that I may be overlooking related to this decision. I now steel is louder, but I also know nylon can be adequately amplified for any solo situation. My specific questions are as follows:

1 - I don't know, however, if it is feasible to play a nylon string with an electric band (electric bass, keyboards, etc.) or if they'd drown the instrument out.

2 - I think nylon is easier to play, but I also wonder if that would HELP or HINDER me when I move back to steel (i.e. - will my fingers become weaker or lazier? Or more used to the larger space between strings? Or will they be MORE fit and prepared for steel strings? Or neither?)

3 - Also, is a nylon-string actually easier to play overall, when you take into consideration the larger spaces fingers have to span (but I do have large hands and long fingers), or if that is just a misinformed impression I have?

As for suitability, I think they both work well with my songs (folk/soul style). I started out playing with my fingers (mostly strumming with my thumb!) on the acoustic 2 years before I ever really took a pick to it recently, but I am unsure which to settle on for my learning process. I won't grow my fingernails because I've tried (to get a better sound from the guitar) and I always manage to bend them back/break them painfully) in day to day life.

4 - Can you pick a classical guitar with fingers instead of fingernails? Would it ever produce a satisfactory tone?

5 - I also don't know if I could pick a steel-string with my bare fingers and have it ever sound really nice. Is that possible? Should a pick always be used for steel strings and fingernails for nylon?

6 - What options are there for fingerpickers (both nylon-string and steel-string) for getting a brighter tone out the instrument other than fingernails? (IMPORTANT!!!)

As you may have noticed by now my head is completely swimming in questions that I have not the experience to answer. I want to know that badly needed dollars are going to the best choice (I am far from rich!) and I NEED any kind of useful direction here. Again, I'll repeat that I love the sound and feel of both strings the same way that I love my two children: differently, equally, and without comparison between them, so I am lost to "which feels better".

If you have stayed with me this far (God bless your soul...or maybe you are just really bored) PLEASE respond with answers to as many of my above questions as you can spare time for and also add any other relevant points I should ponder that I would not be in a position to know. I am all ears (and all confusion) at this point! I am willing to listen to ANY words of advice or caution, wisdom, etc., but PLEASE HELP!!

Re: Nylon vs Steel?

okay first off, i didnt read all of ur post, but if ur neck is bent, you should get a trus rod adjustment. then get steel strings. they are harder to play with, but they will make ur fingers stronger and also keep more tension on the bridge and neck which should keep the neck from bending back. Also, steel produce a richer sound, and break less, but become dull (tone) after a long time.

Need help identifying a guitar

I have a 6 string (steel) thin acoustic with a laser etched soundboard. I bought this when I first started playing and was not quite the careful shopper that I am now. Anyway, I'd appreciate any tips for helping to identify the maker/model. thanks

Re: Need help identifying a guitar

Let's see, a laser etched thin acoustic without a name on it bought sometime in the past... mmmmm I will take a wag as korean/knockoff (make/model).

: I have a 6 string (steel) thin acoustic with a laser etched soundboard. I bought this when I first started playing and was not quite the careful shopper that I am now. Anyway, I'd appreciate any tips for helping to identify the maker/model. thanks

bryan ferry

sucks

Sheet music for "Wicked Games" by Chris Isaak

Please help me finf the sheet music as soon as possible, I can't get it anywhere!!

Tele 3 hole control plate

Hi. I found a post here with the same question. Someone replied they could make one...can you reply so I can contact you? Sorry, my first time here. Thanks.

Re: Tele 3 hole control plate

I've made several custom ones and it's easy if you have access to a good shop, goto:

www.tdpri.com

Someone there will do it or already have one.

: Hi. I found a post here with the same question. Someone replied they could make one...can you reply so I can contact you? Sorry, my first time here. Thanks.

Thanks Steve. I posted there, so far, somebody else is looking for one. Do you have one for sale...in chrome? Thanks.

Someone there should come through, I don't sell em, just make em as I need em, what mods do you need on one??

: Thanks Steve. I posted there, so far, somebody else is looking for one. Do you have one for sale...in chrome? Thanks.

I need 3 holes for 3 knobs/pots...and 2 screw holes. I'm interested if you can make one. Do you have any pics? Thanks

Have made em w/up to 4 knobs/pots and cs toggle, I could make it, is the email on your post correct ?? let me know and I'll get in touch about details, and I won't charge, I have a couple 'blanks' around anyways.

: I need 3 holes for 3 knobs/pots...and 2 screw holes. I'm interested if you can make one. Do you have any pics? Thanks
: .

Hey Steve, thanks for that very kind offer. I found a piece of aluminum plate, so I figured I'd try and make one. Turned out pretty good. I'll put it together and see how it looks. Again, really appreciate the offer bro.

Re: Tele 3 hole control plate (J Bass)

I need a J-Bass control plate with only 2 hole (the second and 4th)... Can someone make one for me?

Yamaki Guitar

Yamaki Guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Yamaki Guitar

wilco

[The body of this post has been lost]

Re: wilco

fuck you

It is a shame that people like Tom are so pathetically uneducated that they fail to sense the humorous irony used so often in songwriting. I believe he's the one due for an appointment with a proctologist. Lighten the fuck up, man!

Uneducated?? uh huh. I know what they were doing. It is just stupid. Learn two more chords and you could be a star too!! YAY!! Plug your squier telecaster into your transistor amp and JAM BABY!!! People get my respect when they earn it, and these guys have not made it past elementary guitar playing. It doesn't have to be difficult, just have some fucking soul!

Ok... I enjoy a heavy metal tune as more tahn most. But I also can appreciate a good lyricist. I love Wilco for that. There is more heart in their music than any heavy metal song. Alt Country bands like Wilco have an ability to hit the heart with their music. In the end that is what counts. I dont know of one metal song that has done that for me. Plus ass hole. Im sure any the Tweedy could kcik your ass in a playing contest. So why dont you jsut shut the hell up.

It is a real shame that someone as narrow minded as you is from the Chicago area. I feel bad for your neighbours. Do you piss on their rose bushes too?

yeah....fuck you.
wilco is the best. simply the best
so...fuck you again

I couldn't agree more. This is typical stuff from a band that knows three chords, and have the fag sound down. Let's whine instead of sing and make a million while bitching about our pathetic lives. What happened to music. No more good times, just whining. This band is really not even worth posting about. I'd rather talk about Carlos Santana, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, or someone who knows how to play.

Well, I think you Wilco haters are all missing the point. It's about communication and emotion, not virtuosity. That is what is at the core of this human condition. Fact is, Woody Guthrie had such an amazing effect on music up to the present day (just trace the influences through pop music), because he said something true. That is what Wilco does for many of us. Gives vent to our emotions and takes some real risks (like risking their careers for their gut instinct). Carlos and Kenny are both GREAT players, but even Carlos connects himself with other "songwriters" to help get his message of "love" across. He sees the value in the communication. ...And if you listen to HMD a bit closer it feels like an homage to another time that many of us know so well. Wilco fans don't listen for great licks, they listen for the songs, the voice and some damn great arrangements from a great and personal live band...But given the level of grammar in this forum and the free use of the word "fag" in replacement for "lousy" I have my doubts about any of those facts sinking in. Enjoy your virtuosity...

tom you are such a pathetic looser! if you don't understand something you just start throwing out words like "fag" and "cock". if jeff tweedy read what you posted he would laugh his ass off.
is it really that hard to have a sense of humor?
the only wining i here is coming from you're ignorant mouth. now you can go look up ignorant in the dictionary.

sweetest regards
tyler

guitars

i am new to guitars so can any one tell me which is the best one to learn on for a 13 yr old?

Re: guitars

I can't tell you which is the best, but I started with an acoustic and I'm quite glad I did so. Practicing with an acoustic increases your finger strength, and makes it very easy playing an electric guitar later on (if that's what you want to do).

thanks ill see where i can get 1

FLEETWOOD acoustic guitar, 6 string, good cond, perfect for beginners, ...is that any good for me? and its only £30 or this ENCORE junior acoustic guitar, c/w case & music book, as new cond, unwanted present never used only £20

I can't say anything about the guitars or their prices because I don't know these two, and don't know much about quality vs. price. The best thing you can do is take someone who knows about guitar quality with you and let him/her play them a little. That can help a lot.

k thx

One thing, though, you get what you pay for. I had a cheep acoustic that I was trying to learn on and it was real frustrating. Especially since I was new to it and didn't know that half of my learning problems were related to a badly built and maintained instrument and outside of my control.

opinions about GNX-3 and gt-6 needed!!

I don't have the chance to try both of these at once so I can't compare them. By the time I play with gt-6 I forget how GNX-3 sounded like. If you can tell me your ideas about each (you know whether one sounds fake or not, etc.) that would be great!!

Yamaha Studio Lord Les Pauls

Yamaha Studio Lord Les Pauls

This popular thread has been given its own page : Yamaha Studio Lord Les Pauls

dimarzio sh-13 dimebucker

Would like to trade a dimebucker for one of the following (neck or bridge): x2n, invader, L-500xl, duncan custom custom, duncan 59....etc. You can post or e-mail me if you're interested.

guitar tuning

on using a piano to tune a guitar which E note do you start with and end with.

Re: which E octave on a piano do you use to tune a guitar

: on using a piano to tune a guitar which E note do you start with and end with,or octave on the piano.

what's the word on epiphone's emperor II JOE PASS model.

are the pickups true gibson and dose it stay tuned ,is the hardware up to parr also.

are the usa gibson humbuckers used on epiphones the real deal

are the u.s.a gibson humbuckers used on the epiphones the real deal.

are the usa gibson humbuckers used on epiphones the real deal

are the u.s.a gibson humbuckers used on the epiphones the real deal.

Re: are the usa gibson humbuckers used on epiphones the real deal

epiphones use different humbuckers and have different wiring. otherwise theyre very similar to gibson. gibson makes those pickups but as far as i know, they dont use them in gibson guitars, just epiphones.

Monterey guitars

Has anyone tried these guitars, and what's your opinion? I'm looking at the Standard series Les Paul copy model, which has a quilted maple top.

Re: Monterey guitars

: Has anyone tried these guitars, and what's your opinion? I'm looking at the Standard series Les Paul copy model, which has a quilted maple top.

: I bought a Monterey Telecaster vintage replica which is an excellent gutar for the money. If the pickups were the same standard as the finsih and craftmanship it would be a truly great guitar. I stuck real Tele 59 'pickups and it is a killer now.

My friend bought the same one recently. You can't go wrong. I don't like the maple standard Teles and havent tried Les Pauls.

Re: Monterey guitars

I have tried all sorts of Monterey Guitars, in my opinion once you play Monterey you can't get much better well you can but like I said not much

what is a "strat sound" and what's a "les paul sound"?

I'm an acoustic player seeking to launch myself into the weird and wonderful world of electrics. Can you tell me what people use Strats, Les Pauls, and Telecasters for? What styles are they suited for, which musicians are associated with them?

I'm attracted to the LP for its beauty, but that's no reason to buy a guitar, right? :)

Roland GR-33 and Korg Triton

Roland GR-33 and Korg Triton

This popular thread has been given its own page : Roland GR-33 and Korg Triton

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.