Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - December, 2002

Archive for posts from December, 2002

ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ] [ ArchiveJune 2001 ] [ ArchiveMay 2001 ] [ ArchiveApril 2001 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2001 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2001 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2001 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2000 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2000 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2000 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Bigsby for ES 335?

: Is there a tremolo that i can't retrofit to my 1977 es335 (trapeze tailpiece) that does not require drilling additional holes?

PAUL...Try www.stewmac.com/ They have Bigsbys in their catalog but they are not cheap...Starting at $169. You can also run a search using vintage guitar parts as a starting point. Vintage Guitars may have something in there stock.

Good Luck

Guitarguy

Re: Bigsby for ES 335?

: : Is there a tremolo that i can't retrofit to my 1977 es335 (trapeze tailpiece) that does not require drilling additional holes?

I would suggest going to www.elderly.com. I have checked them out and stewmac.com. elderly is cheaper and they have what you need.

Peace!
Ciacci

TRYING to learn guitar....

so I've wanted to play the guitar for ages, and just recently I've decided to buckle down and actually do it. My mom had this old acoustic guitar that was actually her mothers and when I was home for thanksgiving she gave it to me to learn on. I got the guitar restrung, and the past few days I've been practicing on it....

BUT I'm a girl with pretty small hands and I've been having trouble playing chords. Either I can't reach all the strings or I end up inadvertently muting some. What should I do??? Do you think the guitar is part of the problem? Are there any good tricks or drills to get over these difficulties?

Andrea

Re: TRYING to learn guitar....

: so I've wanted to play the guitar for ages, and just recently I've decided to buckle down and actually do it. My mom had this old acoustic guitar that was actually her mothers and when I was home for thanksgiving she gave it to me to learn on. I got the guitar restrung, and the past few days I've been practicing on it....

: BUT I'm a girl with pretty small hands and I've been having trouble playing chords. Either I can't reach all the strings or I end up inadvertently muting some. What should I do??? Do you think the guitar is part of the problem? Are there any good tricks or drills to get over these difficulties?

: Andrea

Andrea...It is great that you have decided to buckle down and learn how to play. Make sure your guitar is tuned properly by using or borrowing a guitar tuner. If you still have some difficulty you may want to take the guitar to a friend that plays to see if he or she can play it comfortably.

It may also be worth the $25-30 bucks to take it to a music store to have them set it up for your playing abilitiy. Most stores will not charge you just to look at the guitar for a simple evaluation of any problems.

Good Luck

Guitarguy

Change size of guitar?

If you do have real small hands/ below average size, you might wanna get a smaller size guitar, like a 3/4 size, that may make things easier. I've never had the problem but i see lots of people on this board post msgs like yours, so don't worry.
Don't worry about the muting, everyone catches some of the wrong strings with their hands at first, over time your hands will get stronger and then you'll be able to control them more. Have you tried on a electric?? Not suggesting to convert you to the manic world of all things electric , but they have thinner necks and the strings are closer together, so may be easier to play, i sure think so!!
Acoustics with steel strings are easier to play, than nylon, but its personal taste.
To get your hands stronger, practise the finger exercises and changing chord patterns with you left hand (assuming your right handed?) which helps al lot, but painful at first... you can often find evercises in books or on the net, or make up your own.
Start with the easier chords like E major/ minor, d major,g major, etc, don't go for bar chords until you can really get your hands stretching well.
Good luck anyway, G

Re: TRYING to learn guitar....

:Dear Andrea: I too am a small lady, with small hands. When just starting out its important to remember that the muscles of your hands and wrists need to be conditioned just like a runners leg muscles. So, set a practice routine and increase it as your hands and wrists get used to the idea. Also, try a pencil-I use this with some of my students. Play an open D chord-use a chart if you dont know what that is, and to get your fingers used to being in the right postion so as not to mute the other strings, you should be able to slide a pencil through your fingers while fretting that chord. It sounds hokie but youll get the idea when you try it.

You can get so much free lessons/stuff off the net now you can learn anything and everything and not take a lesson. One really good book to get is K-I-S-S guide to playing the guitar by Terry Burrows. You can get it for $20 at K-Mart or Walmart.

Hopefully your guitar is not a classical guitar. If it is, get rid of it and get another. The Fret board is much too wide for a small lady just beginning. I,m 40 yrs old, 5' 95lbs and have been playing for 36 yrs and teaching. I know what you mean about the small hands. Ive had to make a few adjustments to play certain things. Guys who have really big hands and long fingers like Jimi H are really hard for me to play but there are other ways to get around it.

Good luck, keep playing-any questions email me back, Ill try to help. Lysah (lisa)

Value of a Mexican-made Squier Strat??

Value of a Mexican-made Squier Strat??

This popular thread has been given its own page : Value of a Mexican-made Squier Strat??

Wanted: Guild M20 in the UK/Europe

[The body of this post has been reconstituted from replies so it may differ from what was originally written.]

I'm looking for a Guild M20 in the UK, or Europe (if shipping isn't too expensive).

Re: Wanted: Guild M20 in the UK/Europe

: I'm looking for a Guild M20 in the UK, or Europe (if shipping isn't too expensive).
reply:
I have an original circa 1960 for sale please email for details

gretsch monkees guitar

any body know where i could find a gretsch 60's monkees model guitar(or the logo for the pickguard and truss cover)
please feel free to e-mail me
thank you

Re: gretsch monkees guitar

mirabella guitars will make a repro set for approx. $300.00

: mirabella guitars will make a repro set for approx. $300.00

I have a 1966 Monkees in Fine shape if you are interested.Rudy@Guitarelics

gretsch monkees guitar

any body know where i could find a gretsch 60's monkees model guitar(or the logo for the pickguard and truss cover)
please feel free to e-mail me
thank you

: any body know where i could find a gretsch 60's monkees model guitar(or the logo for the pickguard and truss cover)
: please feel free to e-mail me
: thank you

Backstagebob...Man! That's a needle in a haystack! As you probably already know, the Gretsch Monkee's Model was only produced from 1966 thru 1969 so your specific parts are gonna be hard to find.

I ran several searches using... Gretsch guitar parts...and... Gretsch Monkee guitar parts...and came across some items but not your specific. You may find your items better by trying your own search.

If you are just wanting to replace your items without the original pieces, the Monkee guitar is the same thing as a Gretsch Country Gentleman painted red with the logos added...so, those parts should fit.

Good Luck

Guitarguy

Gretsch Parts, 6190-1

: I have a 6190-1 Electromatic that is in great shape except for a broken Trapeze Tail Piece and a bent tuning peg. I have replaced them with other parts for now but would like to get the original parts. Can anyone help?

MRC

hi i need a web address of a store and the name and model of the monkees gretsch bridge also i can try to find the original screws of the pickup plastic cover, if any help me !many thanks !

This is too weird. I was online looking to find an email address for gretsch. I have a Gretsch monkees guitar. It has a plaque on it that says: The Monkees Rock 'n' Roll Model....by Bigsby. I was looking for an email address for Gretsch to see what they thought it might be worth. I am going to sell it.

: : any body know where i could find a gretsch 60's monkees model guitar(or the logo for the pickguard and truss cover)
: : please feel free to e-mail me
: : thank you

: Backstagebob...Man! That's a needle in a haystack! As you probably already know, the Gretsch Monkee's Model was only produced from 1966 thru 1969 so your specific parts are gonna be hard to find.

: I ran several searches using... Gretsch guitar parts...and... Gretsch Monkee guitar parts...and came across some items but not your specific. You may find your items better by trying your own search.

: If you are just wanting to replace your items without the original pieces, the Monkee guitar is the same thing as a Gretsch Country Gentleman painted red with the logos added...so, those parts should fit.

: Good Luck

: Guitarguy

www.herbuel.fr.st

test of vg88 by covers of great solo in mpeg format,check it
www.herbuel.fr.st

CD input into socket on Marshall MG 80watt

Hi
Just wondering if anyone knows how to connect a regular CD player/ portable CD player or hi-fi system into the socket on the back of a Marshall MG 80 (now discontinued) ... The size of the socket is about the same as the one for the leads connecting guitar to amp (ie input)but my cd player won't fit. Or is there a website anyone recomennds for this type of thing??
Thanks for any help, G

Re: CD input into socket on Marshall MG 80watt

You can buy a cable that converts the output (1/8"[3.5mm] stereo) of your CD to the input (1/8"[6.35mm] stereo) of the amp, in Radio Shack or similar store.

: Hi
: Just wondering if anyone knows how to connect a regular CD player/ portable CD player or hi-fi system into the socket on the back of a Marshall MG 80 (now discontinued) ... The size of the socket is about the same as the one for the leads connecting guitar to amp (ie input)but my cd player won't fit. Or is there a website anyone recomennds for this type of thing??
: Thanks for any help, G

Re: CD input into socket on Marshall MG 80watt

Yo fernando-
thanks man i'll try that.

1977 Stratocaster

I just bought a 1977 strat, but it appears to have some irregularities. The body route has the old style pre 70's round corners instead of the typical more squared off round corners. My first thought was that the body wasn't original, but it has the 3 bolt setup with the micro tilt neck, and all the right pieces are there, and it's quite heavy like a typical late 70's strat. Does anybody know something that I might be missing about the route's not being normal? Thanks

Re: 1977 Stratocaster

: I just bought a 1977 strat, but it appears to have some irregularities. The body route has the old style pre 70's round corners instead of the typical more squared off round corners. My first thought was that the body wasn't original, but it has the 3 bolt setup with the micro tilt neck, and all the right pieces are there, and it's quite heavy like a typical late 70's strat. Does anybody know something that I might be missing about the route's not being normal? Thanks

HI ! I have a `76 original Strat.If you can send me a
picture from your Strat,I´ll send my fotos for a look
to he details.

search for schematics

i'm looking for schematics for my peavey classic 50/50 power amp.would you please send it to me if you have it.

Im new...

helloooooo... i just got my first guitar as a present and i feel like an idiot not knowing anything about it. all i know is that it's a fender squire. i was wondering if people could tell me what parts were called and what the did and stuff like that. if you can it'd be cool. thanks!!

Re: Im new...

Go to wholenote.com They got free lessons and 'fret buzz' is there online forumn.

Also try http://guitar.about.com/ - they got some great lessons also

Best of luck

: helloooooo... i just got my first guitar as a present and i feel like an idiot not knowing anything about it. all i know is that it's a fender squire. i was wondering if people could tell me what parts were called and what the did and stuff like that. if you can it'd be cool. thanks!!

Re: Im new...

Find a friend who can show you how the parts work. Also check the Fender website.
i don't have a Squire, but most guitars have standard tone and volume controls: the circular knob things which you can turn up/down, sometimes numbered 1-10, they will adjust tone (or treble, bass) and volume when you play through an amp.

Suzuki F-130 Questions

Suzuki F-130 Questions

This popular thread has been given its own page : Suzuki F-130 Questions

My Music FREE!!!

check out my website and my music
Http://paretic.tripod.com/fallingtheory\
Thanx, bye
-Dan-

Re: My Music FREE!!!

New Song-FINALLY!!!, put up "Ten Days From Tommorow". Check it out, it's free, and it's good...

Rory Gallagher 61 Custom Shop Strat

Hi, I'm looking for a Rory Custom Shop 61 Strat. Only 40 of these were produced . Does anyone know were I might find one for sale ? Help ! Thanks, Scott

Re: Rory Gallagher 61 Custom Shop Strat

: Hi, I'm looking for a Rory Custom Shop 61 Strat. Only 40 of these were produced . Does anyone know were I might find one for sale ? Help ! Thanks, Scott
Yes Guitar Center Seattle, WA.USA on Westlake for $7000USD

Re: Rory Gallagher 61 Custom Shop Strat

: : Hi, I'm looking for a Rory Custom Shop 61 Strat. . Does anyone know were I might find one for sale ? Help ! Thank ,jeff

Nevada NW025D

Nevada NW025D

This popular thread has been given its own page : Nevada NW025D

effects

Help. My boyfriend's roommate made the suggestion that I could get him a guitar effects box for Christmas. Well, I'm pretty clueless about all this. He suggested that I get a boss gt6, but i think his roommate must be on crack because i don't exactly have that much cash lying around for a single christmas present. I would really like to get him something along this line though since he is so into music and guitar playing. Can somebody make some suggestion?

Re: effects

Go to wholenote.com. Ask there...

: Help. My boyfriend's roommate made the suggestion that I could get him a guitar effects box for Christmas. Well, I'm pretty clueless about all this. He suggested that I get a boss gt6, but i think his roommate must be on crack because i don't exactly have that much cash lying around for a single christmas present. I would really like to get him something along this line though since he is so into music and guitar playing. Can somebody make some suggestion?

i am also an owner of this sweet guitar and would certainly

shiro mandolin

shiro mandolin

This popular thread has been given its own page : shiro mandolin

Franciscan guitar

Franciscan guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Franciscan guitar

Ibanez Rocket Roll II Vee's

i was wondering about how much they are worth, or how much they sold for back in the 80's. my serial number is B826244 if that helps. thanks!

Re: Ibanez Rocket Roll II Vee's

Your guitar is from 1982, just like the one I bought two weeks ago. There's a lot of Rocket Rolls and Destroyers around, but not many of them are in good shape and original state... a lot of them were ruined by installing tremelo-bars etc. I paid 750 dollars/euro's (too expensive, but I wanted it badly) for a perfectly kept cherry sunburst '82 Rocket Roll II (setneck, white binding, original case, no scratches anywhere) and 500 dollars for a '83 sunburst Destroyer II incl original case(San Francisco), with some dents but still a beautiful instrument. New retail prices were around 600 dollars in the eighties. In Europe they were like 750 Euro's (for set neck, binding, flame top)
Currently there's a re-issue on the market for around the same price.

Re: Ibanez Rocket Roll II Vee's

oh crap... there is a reissue? nooooooooo

phil joel chords

i need the chords to "i ador you" by phil joel.. any one know em??

Re: phil joel chords

: i need the chords to "i ador you" by phil joel.. any one know em??

You can find it at:
http://www.christianguitar.org/christian/songs.php?artist=364

Re: phil joel chords

:i need the chords to "make me the man" from the "bring it on cd" anyone know them???? thanks

Guitar to blind person

I would like to know about teaching to play guitar to blind person, using words and sounds, not Braile. I am teaching guitar to blind students in a volunteer work in Brasilia, Brasil. Thanks, Reinaldo Rios

I need help with my amp!!!

I haven had the Behringer GX110 Ultraroc guitar amp for almost 6 months now, and it has worked fine.. Until now!! Recently, when I play, at random times it will go really quiet and then 30 seconds-10 minutes later, it will go back to normal. It's like I am changing the volume while playing!!!
If someone could give me some kind of cluw why it is doing this please do!

may be the lead- cheap ones are dodgy

Ok man i've had this problem.
the trick- its either ya guitar, the lead or the amp. Find out by switching guitar, then lead, then amp. Play around with different amp, then different gitar etc. however it sounds like its the lead.
In the past i've found that some leads can go wierd for no reason- solution, buy a decent one (about £8) eg with gold plated stuff. quality.
Or it's the amp: some people recommend giving the thing a damn good knock- but thats probably not good. Maybe its a loose connection. Always unplug it befopre you start messing around with it, safety.
Or its the guitar. Loose pickup? ask at your local guitar shop. They should be able to help.

Crate BV-120H Guitar Amp

i was wondering what some good metal settings on there are, or at least what some readers on this board use. thanks!

Vintage Tube Guitar Amp Head for sale cheap, read more!

I'm selling a vintage LIFCO guitar head, this head is hand wired point to point. Sounds like an old fender deluxe.

3 inputs, 3 knobs (bass-treble-volume)
Power and Standby switches, dual jewel lights
4ohm speaker jack
2 12ax7 tubes, 2 6v6 tubes, 1 5u4gb recto tube

This is a great first tube amp, or great addition to a tube head hunters collection, priced to sell quick at $250 shipped to the Lower 48 states, no trades. Email for pics, put LIFCO in subject line of email please. - Matthew

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.