Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - January, 2003

Archive for posts from January, 2003

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Tremolo Bar

Many things you can do. One of which would be to install a better nut and make sure it is doing its job (if you use one). The other which is to replace your springs. Some players (SRV and others) installed only two springs and placed them close at the bridge and spaced at the claw, kind of like making a "V".

My 2 pieces of copper,
John

Selecting Guitar Strings

Hi,

I've just bought an acoustic guitar. Reading some of the messages on this forum, I understand that acoustic guitar strings aren't the same as electric guitar strings. How can I tell the difference between electric guitar strings and acoustic strings and which is a better brand of acoustic guitar strings, Gibson or D'addario?

Any relevant comments are greatly appreciated.

Re: Selecting Guitar Strings

Basically the acoustic guitar strings will be made usually from a bronze alloy while electric strings are made from an iron alloy. I won't recommend a string brand because I feel that there's too much debate, but any quality name brand should do for you. Depending on the quality of guitar you bought an expensive set or a cheep set might not make much of a difference. Try a few sets out and see which you like best.

: Hi,

: I've just bought an acoustic guitar. Reading some of the messages on this forum, I understand that acoustic guitar strings aren't the same as electric guitar strings. How can I tell the difference between electric guitar strings and acoustic strings and which is a better brand of acoustic guitar strings, Gibson or D'addario?

: Any relevant comments are greatly appreciated.

youll know the difference it will say clearly on the packet what kind of guitar its for

Having experimented with many different types of strings for my classical guitar, I have found that D' Addario makes the best strings by far. You will find the strings that best suit your own playing only by trying all the different strings that are available.

How to fix Fender Squirer/ Strat / Tele / pBass pickup BuZZ

How to fix Fender Squirer/ Strat / Tele / pBass pickup BuZZ

This popular thread has been given its own page : How to fix Fender Squirer/ Strat / Tele / pBass pickup BuZZ

fret jobs

does anyone know about refretting a guitar? i have a late 70s fender that needs a fret job in the worst way,and larger gauge frets and an intonation lesson, as well as spring ajustment for heavier gauge strings. is there any one out there who could tutor me a bit?

Re: fret jobs

: does anyone know about refretting a guitar? i have a late 70s fender that needs a fret job in the worst way,and larger gauge frets and an intonation lesson, as well as spring ajustment for heavier gauge strings. is there any one out there who could tutor me a bit?

I could help need to ask one question is it a maple or rose wood finger board ? This make a big differance.
Bob tremontguitars.com

Re: fret jobs

I would 'practice' on a similar type (junk) neck if this is your first time. It took me 2 tries before I got it down pretty good and the first time I really screwed up a maple neck... and don't think you want to mess up an original '70's neck... if you are going to do it do a google search as there are many 'toutorials' (with pics and everything) out there or at least invest in a good luthiers book. While the procedure is relativly 'simple', the actual work requires alot of 'feel' that you can only learn from experince, so if you have a neck around you don't care about try practicing on that. Good luck !

: does anyone know about refretting a guitar? i have a late 70s fender that needs a fret job in the worst way,and larger gauge frets and an intonation lesson, as well as spring ajustment for heavier gauge strings. is there any one out there who could tutor me a bit?

MINT 1963 'sunburst' Framus bass serial no.5450 or 5H50

Can anyone tell me what is it worth?

Re: MINT 1963 'sunburst' Framus bass serial no.5450 or 5H50

Just check the blue book, and then ebay past auctions to see what they go for on there for a better idea of what people are really paying.

: Can anyone tell me what is it worth?

Re: MINT 1963 'sunburst' Framus bass serial no.5450 or 5H50

: Just check the blue book, and then ebay past auctions to see what they go for on there for a better idea of what people are really paying.

: : Can anyone tell me what is it worth?

What bass is this. I am looking for the cutaway
but not the Wyman one?

rrdrmd@aol.com

Kluson style replacement tuners for LP copy.

I recently purchased the subject replacement tuning keys for my Les Paul copy. However, when I removed an old tuner to replace with a new tuner, I found the existing tuning key hole to be larger than the replacement post. Is it technically feasible to fill the existing tuning key holes with wood filler, and once the wood filler has set to the re-drill new holes? Will this compromise the integrity of the post or post hole? I could use some advice here. Thanks!

Re: Kluson style replacement tuners for LP copy.

If you want to fill the holes and redrill them you will need to use dowels. Wood filler just won't do it by itself. The best thing would be to buy tuners that fit properly and take the ones you bougt back if you can. If not, you'll need to buy a dowel that fits snug but not so snug that you have to do any pounding. Cut pieces off slightly smaller than the thickness of the headstock and glue them in. I recommend you cut them so they don't exactly come flush on both sides, this way you shouldn't have to do any sanding and mess up your headstock finish...and watch glue run off. Redrill the holes using a small pilot hole first, then the appropriate size. To keep the wood from splintering I've found it better to drill a pilot hole all the way through, then drill half way through with the appropriate sized bit, turn over the guitar and drill the rest of the way through from the other side. Make sure you center the holes as precisely as you can or your tuners will look off. Hope this helps.

: I recently purchased the subject replacement tuning keys for my Les Paul copy. However, when I removed an old tuner to replace with a new tuner, I found the existing tuning key hole to be larger than the replacement post. Is it technically feasible to fill the existing tuning key holes with wood filler, and once the wood filler has set to the re-drill new holes? Will this compromise the integrity of the post or post hole? I could use some advice here. Thanks!

Don`t do that!!!!!!!!
This would be a mess send back the tuners measure the size of the holes and get some that fit.Or one`s that need the hole bigger its easer to drill than to fill.One other choice is to have metal sleaves made up that would make up the differance but were making a easy job hard.
Bob
tremontguitars.com

Sorry, Bob.

It's just that I've done the procedure that I've described. With a little common sense it works very effectively...since most of us can't have "sleaves" made up we make sleeves by filling and drilling. It is easier to drill than fill, but by the same logic you can always drill out what you have already filled, if you screw up but if you screw up drilling then you have no choice but to fill. Maybe I just assume that most people can do what I can and forget some of the minor details. It's no big deal, just don't want you to think I'm an ignorant fool.

: Sorry, Bob.

: It's just that I've done the procedure that I've described. With a little common sense it works very effectively...since most of us can't have "sleaves" made up we make sleeves by filling and drilling. It is easier to drill than fill, but by the same logic you can always drill out what you have already filled, if you screw up but if you screw up drilling then you have no choice but to fill. Maybe I just assume that most people can do what I can and forget some of the minor details. It's no big deal, just don't want you to think I'm an ignorant fool.

I don`t think your a fool at all your idea never entered my mind and is a great idea I put it in my future bag of tricks.The only thing I would do is buy one of those bits that dill out a dowel.For the reason I want the grain to run the same way if you used store bought dowel you would have a cross grain that may shrink and expand a differnt rates. But I would not lose any sleep if i used a dowel.Please I don`t Think your a Fool hope you read this post .Were all here to learn I don`t know everything ask my 13 year old LOL.

bick

: : Sorry, Bob.

: : It's just that I've done the procedure that I've described. With a little common sense it works very effectively...since most of us can't have "sleaves" made up we make sleeves by filling and drilling. It is easier to drill than fill, but by the same logic you can always drill out what you have already filled, if you screw up but if you screw up drilling then you have no choice but to fill. Maybe I just assume that most people can do what I can and forget some of the minor details. It's no big deal, just don't want you to think I'm an ignorant fool.

:
: I don`t think your a fool at all your idea never entered my mind and is a great idea I put it in my future bag of tricks.The only thing I would do is buy one of those bits that dill out a dowel.For the reason I want the grain to run the same way if you used store bought dowel you would have a cross grain that may shrink and expand a differnt rates. But I would not lose any sleep if i used a dowel.Please I don`t Think your a Fool hope you read this post .Were all here to learn I don`t know everything ask my 13 year old LOL.

: bick

You can purchase sleeves that adapt the smaller posts to a larger hole. They are available from Stewart-MacDonald at www.stewmac.com. You just need to know the post size and the hole size.

Licensed miniature guitars

Please note that we are licenced by Fender,Brian May and many more.Please don't be fooled by inferior quality rip offs of OUR original designs being touted on the net.The Baby Axe Company Ltd London England.Members of The Giftware Association and Copywatch.

Need info on Parker P40!!!!

Help!!! I'm considering buying a Parker P40, but must order it from a friend who owns the music store, the trouble is that I have only ever played a custom Parker ($6000 guitar), so I`m not sure exactly how one of these compares, and I don`t have the $$$ to buy an american. I would like to know some more info on the playabilty, resonance... of a P40, as well as how it compares to a strat (Fender US). Need to know ASAP!!!! Thank you!!!!

Nexus guitars

Dear musicians,

We would like to invite you to visit the Nexus website, please take part in our BlahBlah forum and meet other music freaks.

Check it out... and fall in love. We are quite sure that your next instrument could be a Nexus.

http://www.nexus-guitars.com

tuning

If i have a 4 string guitar would it be E-A-D-G

Re: tuning

Yes, it would be E-A-D-G, the ordinary tuning for a bass guitar

Need advise on buying guitar (TELE)

Hi

I love the looks of the telecaster, but I love the sound of Ampeg Tubes and Smashing Riff Distortion.

Can I make the TELE sound like Smashing Pumpkins, or even darker and thrasher, System of a Down?

Thanks

Re: Need advise on buying guitar (TELE)

Couple of factors to overcome. Fist is the woods used to make the tele you have you mind on. I can e-mail you a file I have that describes about 50 different woods. The unfortunate side is that in order to have a guitar made from the woods and wood combinations that will give you the sound you want you will have to pay the big bucks for a custom job or do it yourself. If you don't particularly like that then you can experiment with pickups and modifications to a stock guitar. The first mod that can help you would be to put the right pickups in it, especially stacked or mini-humbuckers. Shop around and make sure to check out seymourduncan.com and dimarzio.com.

If I wanted a tele with a ballsy sound I would replace the bridge with a tele bridge that holds a full size humbucker. Then re-rout the body to hold the full size humbucker in the bridge position. Put in an X2N, Invader, or some such high output humbucker in the bridge and a stacked or mini high output humbucker in the neck. Good luck

Twelve string Fender guitar.

What can I do to make this guitar softer to play? I find it hard on the strings. What other guitat that is soft to playand not too expensive would you recomend? Thank You. By the way, I paid to have reconditioned but it's still the same.

are yamaha's any good?

are yamaha's any good

Only if you're on a tight budget.

I'd stay away from Yamaha, Peavey, and any other cheep brand.

Re: Only if you're on a tight budget.

older yamaha guitars are awesome, from 1980 and earlier

guitar-pro

I need a crack of guitar-pro 4.0

Re: guitar-pro

: I need a crack of guitar-pro 4.0 please if you can give me it i thank to you

guitar-pro

: I need a crack of guitar-pro 4.0 Demo

: : I need a crack of guitar-pro 4.0 Demo

: : : I need a crack of guitar-pro 4.0 Demo

kal ho na ho

: : : : I need a crack of guitar-pro 4.0 Demo

: I need a crack of guitar-pro demo 4.0

punk music

i wanna know where i can find a site that teaches you punk music with a electric guitar

Sam

Re: punk music

There's a load of punk sheetmusic <a href="http://www.hitsquad.com/cgi/htdig/htsearch.cgi?words=punk&config=htdig&restrict=%2Fsmm%2Fsheetmusic%2Ftitles%2F&exclude=&method=or&format=builtin-long">here</a> as well as a load of punk in the <a href="http://www.guitarsite.com/database/Tablature/">tablature section</a> of this site.

: i wanna know where i can find a site that teaches you punk music with a electric guitar

: Sam

New Neuman microphone

Check this mic out it seems realy good value looks like a u88 any thoughts??

New Neuman style mic

New Neuman style mic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2502868458&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1

Gibson question

anybody know the approximate value of a 1980-81 gibson firebrand sg? if you could help, that would be great, email me at Glassjawboy62102@aol.com thanks.

Re: Gibson question

: anybody know the approximate value of a 1980-81 gibson firebrand sg? if you could help, that would be great, email me at Glassjawboy62102@aol.com thanks.

I bought my Gibson Firebrand Sg in 1989. I paid 250 for it. Somebody offered me a grand for it about 10 years ago. I doubt its worth anything more than 500 bucks. Let me know what you find out.

vox country western

i have a vox country western for sale, its worth a lot.

Re: vox country western

Are you josh taylor from conneaut?

: i have a vox country western for sale, its worth a lot.

I just bought a vox country western....How much do think they are worth? It sounds GREAT.

I just bought a vox country western....How much do think they are worth? It sounds GREAT.

I just had one stolen. What do you think it was worth?
I would never sell it, but I'd sure like to find it. It had tremendous sentimental value.

:I have one I want to sell, what is a fair price? I have owned it for 33 years and it is in very good shape with the original VOX hard shell case.

: I just had one stolen. What do you think it was worth?
: I would never sell it, but I'd sure like to find it. It had tremendous sentimental value.

SKA

HOW DO YOU MAKE THE SKA SOUND ON A GUITAR AMP! please e-mail me the answer at AFI_Phoenix@hotmail.com I would be most grateful

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.