Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - January, 2003

Archive for posts from January, 2003

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

age of epiphone guitar

Trying to find out age of Epiphone guitar-Model # is FT13-5B, with a serial number of 07780402. The name Norlin is on the label inside the guitar, along with Epiphone. Any ideas? Thanks.

Re: age of epiphone guitar

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/epiphone.html

lots of info on vintage epi guitars

It's a question of worth:

I have an Ibanez classical guitar from the early to mid 60's it has a few dings on the sides but it plays great and has no warps in it or anything. A sticker on the inside says Modelo No. 372, DESDE 1908, and Nagoya, Japan. Other then that their's not much else to say. I'm sort of thinking of selling it. What could I ask for it?

Re: It's a question of worth:

I too have a classical Ibanez - Model #356 DESDE 1908, Nagoya, Japan. I do not know the value, but am curious to find out. If anyone has a guesstimate, I'd like to hear it. thanks

floyd rose tremlo

the floyd rose i have needs the intone nation set i have taken it servel places and it still gets out ofe tune like cheep tremlo how do i fix this and set the intone nation

Re: floyd rose tremlo

i have i floyd and i cant get it out of tune if i try.....if it gets out of tune going sharp loosen the tension of the bridge and vis versa that all i can think of also drop d types of tunings dont go good because if you loosen one string the other ones get more tension because the bridge sucks them down

To set the intonation, there are some screws retaining the saddles in place on the bridge. You have to loosen tention on the particular string you wish to set the intonation, loosen the screw and move the saddle forwards and backwards, then reset the screw, tighten the string, tune it, check intonation, and repeat. It's a pain. Also, check for wear on your locking nut, if it's letting the strings slip that could be part of the problem. Floyds in general are a pain. Let me know if you need anymore help.

like smeagol said, floyds are a huge pain especially if they are a licensed copy and not a real one. in this case, i doubt the root of your problem comes from intonation (although be sure to check it once you've done a proper setup). i suggest you have a professional setup done to be sure it is done correctly, but if you dont have the patience or the money (setups can cost anywhere from 20 to 50 dollars) check this website out...this guy is meticulous with his setups and it is by far the only helpful site out there as far as setting up a floyd rose .... http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech.htm

like everyone has said...floyd rose floating tremelos suck...My advice is to sell that thing and get a hard tail guitar(one with a sitting tremelo) I use to have an Ibanez and I hated that factor...

:How can I buy a set of intonation keys for floyd rose tremolo

Framus Guitar

Framus Guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Framus Guitar

replacing stock ibanez humbuckers with four wire duncans

how do you do it the stock ones have only two wires so where to the other 3 wires from the duncan go???

Re: replacing stock ibanez humbuckers with four wire duncans

I would start by going to Seymourduncan.com Under "support" they have all kinds of wiring diagrams and they're pretty easy to follow. The other wires will allow you to run both coils in series, parallel, single coil, or out of phase. If you don't understand what these are then just stick to connecting them in series. If you want to get tricky there are some neat things you can do and most of the hot rod modifications will be in duncan's web page. Do you have a soldering iron and rosin core solder? If not then you'll need some. It's pretty easy. Let me know if you get stuck and I can help you out. I can't even add up the number of guitars I've wired over the years.

Re: replacing stock ibanez humbuckers with four wire duncans

thanks...if i where takle it to a shop how much would/should it cost?

Need info on obscure brands!

Hi all, I need as much info (or links to info) on the following brands:
Quest (specifically the Atak series),
Toledo,
Tedesco,
Raven

Thanks!
Jason

Joshua Acoustic Guitars

I am also looking for info. on Joshua Acosustic Guitars. I bought one at a pawn shop and love it, but I don't know where it's made, or even what model it is. I'm beginning to think that it is rare. Somebody please help me out.

Re: Joshua Acoustic Guitars

: I am also looking for info. on Joshua Acosustic Guitars. I bought one at a pawn shop and love it, but I don't know where it's made, or even what model it is. I'm beginning to think that it is rare. Somebody please help me out.

I found a very unusual Josua acoustic at a local shop. It has open gingerbread holes on the top. The clerk didn't know anything about it, nor did he know the price. It was very loud and very playable. Is this anything like yours? I am very interested in it and might buy it if I can find out anything about it. Are they imported? How much did you pay for yours?
Thanks, Alan

: : I am also looking for info. on Joshua Acosustic Guitars. I bought one at a pawn shop and love it, but I don't know where it's made, or even what model it is. I'm beginning to think that it is rare. Somebody please help me out.

: I found a very unusual Josua acoustic at a local shop. It has open gingerbread holes on the top. The clerk didn't know anything about it, nor did he know the price. It was very loud and very playable. Is this anything like yours? I am very interested in it and might buy it if I can find out anything about it. Are they imported? How much did you pay for yours?
: Thanks, Alan

HI I'M FROM N.B.CANADA I HAVE A JOSHUA ACOUSTIC GUITAR
JUMBO BODY WITH PRECUT HOLE ON TOPSIDE OF BODY LIKE YOUR DESCRIPTION,IT IS IN MINT CONDITION WITH A NICE ARCHTOP HARDSHELL CASE .IT PLAYS VERY NICE ,I PAID AROUND $700.00 CANADIAN DOLLARS FOR IT, I DONT KNOW WHAT THE VALUE IS AND I CAN'T FIND ANY INFO ANYWERE.
IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
THANKS JOHN.

Desperately seeking an Ibenez MC300

I have been desperately searching for an Ibanez MC300 musician for the past few months. I played my mentor's and immediatly found a guitar that seems as if it were made for me. I haven't been able to find anyone who wants to sell this guitar. If you have one and are willing to sell it or you have information on where to find someone who would like to sell please e-mail me. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

electricguitarIbenez

: I have been desperately searching for an Ibanez MC300 musician for the past few months. I played my mentor's and immediatly found a guitar that seems as if it were made for me. I haven't been able to find anyone who wants to sell this guitar. If you have one and are willing to sell it or you have information on where to find someone who would like to sell please e-mail me. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

ALPHA 1

anybody know anything about this les paul knockoff. its a set neck black beauty copy,I think it was built around 1970?Chambered body, no serial

Re: ALPHA 1

: anybody know anything about this les paul knockoff. its a set neck black beauty copy,I think it was built around 1970?Chambered body, no serial

I have one (white)I bought used for $90 with case in late 70s. Just now doing a search to find out about its origin. Seems like a decent les paul copy...

Hey, I too have the alpha 1 and was looking for information on it. Is it rare, what is the quality of the copy and how much is it worth? Any info on the guitar would be appreciated, certainly someone owns one.

need help on wireing the duncan

i ran into a brick wall,my computer wolnt go to the seymour duncan website so the only diagram i have is the one that came with the pickup and it is obscure.i want standered humbucker operation,no fancy stuff,for that diagram it shows the red and green being soldered together the black wire going to the volume then through a circle that says .02 and i dont know what that is and then to the tone controll.it shows the green wire grounded but after i split all the wires from the thick black one that comes out of the pickup i noticed that there is another wire that doesent have plastic around it..what do i do with that one,it isint showed on the diagram i have.

Re: need help on wiring the duncan

I'll try to explain, but it's kind of hard w/o pictures. Basically solder the red and green together and wrap the joint with electric tape. You don't have to worry about these anymore. Take the green wire and the bare wire (that's a ground wire) and solder them to the back of the volume pot...becareful about not over heating the pot or it'll get screwed up. When you look at your volume pot there will be three connetors. One should be connected to ground (or the back of the volume pot. Depending on your guitar the middle one will either go to the switch or to the output jack. The last one is the one you want to solder the black one to. You should also have a wire going from this same connector to the tone pot. The .02 is refering to a mini-capacitor with the value of .02 microfarads. If you already have a capacitor on your tone pot then don't worry about it. The capacitor looks like a little ceramic disk with two wire comming out of it. Take a look and see if this makes sense. If not, then leave your e-mail and I'll send you a diagram and try to help you through it.

Re: need help on wireing the duncan

I made a mistake...it's the red and white wires that get soldered together.

If your guitar sounds weak and lacks bass when you put the selecter in the middle (both pickups working) then you will have to reverse the black and green wires.

Let me know if you need anything more.

schector diamond series

if anyone has had any experiences with the diamon series,c-l,c-l plus please let me know, either good or bad.
the guitars look great, i wonder if they sound and play as great as they look.

thanks

Re: schector diamond series

i have played lots of schecters and the dimond series are good guitars for metal types of music they have a ballze sound if you like ibanez you would probly like em

#$% MY brand new diamond series volume kob keeps F#*king up if I turn it up all the way it cuts out.. and it's pissing me off..

: if anyone has had any experiences with the diamon series,c-l,c-l plus please let me know, either good or bad.
: the guitars look great, i wonder if they sound and play as great as they look.

: thanks

I own one of these guitars, it sounds great, and it plays great. I prefer schector over fenders any day

c-5
Plays well, comes with good electronics, remember these guys building the schectors are the best who left esp a few years ago.

yeah man Schector rocks. I just bought a Schector bass in the sillohette series, the Elite-5. its a nice bass. neck-through body, DENT RESISTAN!!!!! i have hit it a bunch of times and no dents appear. It plays really nice and the B is nice and easy to reach. The neck is slim and it is nice and easy to slide from positions. I would recomend Schector to anyone

Where can I get guitar pedal circuit diagrams?

Does anyone know of a resource on the internet where I can get lots of circuit diagrams for various effects pedals?

Re: Where can I get guitar pedal circuit diagrams?

I was hoping that you already had a follow-up, because I am also looking for some schematics for a BOSS ME-6 and GT-3 effects pedals, have you any luck in your quest yet? if so, any help would be appreciated...

Re: Where can I get guitar pedal circuit diagrams?

http://www.ee.washington.edu/circuit_archive/circuits/

Riviera Commander 60's 335 style with bigsby

Riviera Commander 60's 335 style with bigsby

This popular thread has been given its own page : Riviera Commander 60's 335 style with bigsby

heavier sound

Being slightyly unknowledge about guitar sounds and effects, could anyone give me a clue of where to look in order to satisfy my curiosity. At present I have a Epiphone SG and am considering trading it in for a guitar that weighs less and has a heavier sound. ????

Re: heavier sound

yeah.epiphones dont have very much of a metal tone maby a schecter or an ibanez or bc rich those are good metal and shredder guitars or get different pickups.also digitech metal masters or any of the rp series have some good metal sounds and there pretty cheep.rock on:)

of course...if you just want heavy sound, without any trouble getting it, just buy a metal pedal. Boss MT2 is a good heavy metal pedal. Also Danelectro Black Coffey...

good luck

If it is a decent Epiphone SG then it will be made from mahahony. Mahagony is a good wood for heavy. If it's a cheep Epiphone then trade it in. Here's where I'd start. Invest in some good pickups. Epiphone pickups are weak. For the bridge I'd put in a duncan invader, or dimarzio x2n...possibly just a duncan distortion but the other two have much more output. In the neck you'll have to do a little research to see what pairs up with the high output, maybe a duncan custom. Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan have resources on their web pages to compare output and tone of all of their pickups. The next thing I would do is put on heavier strings...the more mass the strings have the more energy they transfer through the pickups. I would also consider replacing the factory plastic nut with bone. And change out all of the pots and use good solder and wire.

In any case, unless you trade it in and buy a really high end guitar you'll still probably end up doing all these modifications anyway if you want a good "heavy".

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anymore help.

is this a good buy? Ventura Bruno?

is this a good buy?  Ventura Bruno?

This popular thread has been given its own page : is this a good buy? Ventura Bruno?

Guild-Madeira 12 String Model P712

Can someone gve me some info about this guitar? Guild-Madeira P712 12 string.

Re: Guild-Madeira 12 String Model P712

I don't have a Guild/Madeira P712, but I have a P812. It has a jumbo body, spruce top, 'flamed' maple sides and back. Large block inlays on the fretboard. It has a really big sound, without even putting much into the picking. As soon as I find out info on either guitar, I'll let you know.........GERROD KROLL

Les Paul Ephiphone guitar tunning pegs!

Had an accident with my Les Paul Epiphone Guitar broke two of the plastic knobs of the keys whrer can I get new ones?

Re: Les Paul Ephiphone guitar tunning pegs!

Any music/supply store will have em, and there are a million places online (musiciansfriend.com for one) and if you really want the same ones epi puts on stock you can order directly from them.

: Had an accident with my Les Paul Epiphone Guitar broke two of the plastic knobs of the keys whrer can I get new ones?

A FREE Teaching Newsletter for Guitar

Looking for an informative FREE teaching newsletter for guitar?

Check out Uncle Tim’s FREE Newsletter.

Inside you will find articles about all sorts of scale types, chords and song creation.
While you are there, download a FREE copy of Uncle Tim’s First Year mini-eBook

When you start your free subscription, you also get all the back issues, over 100 pages of pure guitar related information, color diagrams, flash animation and mp3 files all waiting for you and all totally free, all designed to help you play the guitar better. Much better!

http://www.eteachingcenter.com/newsh.htm

Re: A FREE Teaching Newsletter for Guitar

: Looking for an informative FREE teaching newsletter for guitar?

: Check out Uncle Tim’s FREE Newsletter.

: Inside you will find articles about all sorts of scale types, chords and song creation.
: While you are there, download a FREE copy of Uncle Tim’s First Year mini-eBook

: When you start your free subscription, you also get all the back issues, over 100 pages of pure guitar related information, color diagrams, flash animation and mp3 files all waiting for you and all totally free, all designed to help you play the guitar better. Much better!

:
: http://www.eteachingcenter.com/newsh.htm

Re: A FREE Teaching Newsletter for Guitar

: x: Looking for an informative FREE teaching newsletter for guitar?

: : Check out Uncle Tim’s FREE Newsletter.

: : Inside you will find articles about all sorts of scale types, chords and song creation.
: : While you are there, download a FREE copy of Uncle Tim’s First Year mini-eBook

: : When you start your free subscription, you also get all the back issues, over 100 pages of pure guitar related information, color diagrams, flash animation and mp3 files all waiting for you and all totally free, all designed to help you play the guitar better. Much better!

: :
: : http://www.eteachingcenter.com/newsh.htm

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.