Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - January, 2003

Archive for posts from January, 2003

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Yamaha APX Taiwanese Quality ??

I have seen an older Yammy APX 9 (Nylon) in a pawn shop for what I thought was a reasonable price of $275AUS
(about $150US) It has been well used and knocked around a bit but solid and straight with a nice neck but it has obviously been used professionally and that has usually been a good sign to me in the past when buying a guitar.
I was just about to walk out the door with it when I read that it was made in Taiwan, and I remembered most of what I read about APX series that they were Japanese. Where are they made now?
Are they all made in Taiwan now or is it a lower end guitar or ??
I know people usually respond with things like "if it sounds good to you buy it etc" but sometimes they do sound good but just dont work at a gig or stand up to solid use. WOuld value anyones learned opinions.
It looked to me to be about 10 yrs old but could be wrong. It had the knob preamp controls that push in/pull out, not the sliders.preamp

HELP_HELP_HELP_HELP_please !!

Where can i get the crack for guitar-pro 4 ?

Re: HELP_HELP_HELP_HELP_please !!

: Where can i get the crack for guitar-pro 4 ?

go to these site
http://home.kimo.com.tw/xdsimpellitteri/

Thks Peter / information regarding the Squier "made in USA"

Peter, Thanks for your answer. It appears to my investigation follow up that it seem to be a fake as all USA made Strat from Fender have the serial n° under the "laque". Moreover 6 digit n° is not a Fender code for dating.

Anyway thks again.

Marc

Re: Thks Peter / information regarding the Squier "made in USA"

Peter I own a suuier that was made in the u.s.a. and the sn# must start with a n then no more than six numbers they were only made for a very short time and are collector guitars due to that fact. they play like a usa fender because they are inface a fender made from the same specs and materals so if indeed your guitars sn# starts with a n hold on to it brother Rev. R.P.C.

Re: Thks Peter / information regarding the Squier "made in USA"

i own a beautiful squier strato made in USA but it's serial no. is only 0973 if i recall rightly. is it even more collectable!? good luck, mail me for pics.
Pat.

smeagol

u helped me in the message <help me tune this mofo please!>the tuning u gave me,dgcfad, isn't that the same as a standard d tuning?thanks man.

smeagol

u helped me in the message ,help me tune this mofo please!,the tuning u gave me,dgcfad, isn't that the same as a standard d tuning?thanks man.

Re: smeagol

: u helped me in the message ,help me tune this mofo please!,the tuning u gave me,dgcfad, isn't that the same as a standard d tuning?thanks man.

That's correct. Drop D would be dadgbe.

yamaha fg 300 acoustic guitar

looking for replacement parts, specifically cover to tuning screws on the back/top of neck of guitar. i am missing one cover and the associated screw for cosmetic purposes. any idea of where to locate parts???

yamaha fg 300 acoustic guitar

i have an old yamaha fg 300 aooustic steel string guitar in cherry condition except for the fact that it is missing one of the six tuning screw cover plates and the associated attachment screw on the back of the top of the neck of the guitar. i am looking for any leads as to where i might purchase the missing part

MESA VS MARSHALL!!!

MESA VS MARSHALL!!!

This popular thread has been given its own page : MESA VS MARSHALL!!!

broken headstock...

Greetings All!
I'm new here so please bear with me. Also I am posting this to other forums, as I am trying to
get as much advice on this as I can, so if anyone see's this on another forum, please forgive
me.

I have a project Strat that I am working on and the neck I"m planning on using is from an
older Kramer. The person I got the neck from (this was years ago...its been laying in the
basement for a long time) said the guitar simply "fell over" and the headstock broke. Knowing
this individual, it was more likely the result of a temper tantrum. It looks as if someone took
the guitar by the body and simply slammed the headstock over a table. It's not a clean break
and I am missing a small piece (about half inch by half inch) that I will have to recreate. If
anyone needs more info on how its broken, please e-mail me at jtwalczak@adelphia.net and I
can send you pics of the headstock. Now for the questions...

Question #1...what kind of glue would you all recommend for the repair? I've seen Tightbond
wood glue mentioned in a few places, plus I've used this on other wood projects and it seems
to hold -very- well, but I've also seen references to "hide glue" as well as 2 part epoxy's.

Question #2...As I said before, this is not a clean break by any means...should I try to work
with whats still there, or should I try to sand out both sides flat for a better glue joint?

Question #3...Would I be just better off all the way around to just cut the headstock off and
cut/glue a new one on? And if so...any suggestions on how/where to set/glue the joint?

I'm by no means a proffesional luthier, but I have been doing guitar repairs...mostly on my
own, for many years now and have even built one from scratch (one of my next refinish
projects actually). I also do allot of other woodworking projects, so I have various clamps, etc
to do the repair, so please feel free to bombard me with suggestions!

Also, depending on how well the refinish on this guitar goes (it's neon pink at the
moment...going to try my first Sunburst...the wife said she'll take a saw to it if I leave it pink), I
will probably go ahead and cut a thin veneer of maple for the face of the headstock just strictly
as an esthetic's thing (again if the rest of it comes out nice), but I will burn that bridge when I
get to it. This guitar is going to mainly be a stage back up for my "real" Strat, so I'm willing to
be a little bolder then I might be otherwise with one of my "babies".

I am greatful for any and all info and assistance...this is definatly something new for me, and I
would just like to get a better foot hold, so to speak, before I start working on it.

Bright Blessings and Gentle Breezes to all!
Jim
(guitarist/drummer - Harper Blue)
www.harperblue.8k.com

Re: broken headstock...

: Greetings All!
: I'm new here so please bear with me. Also I am posting this to other forums, as I am trying to
: get as much advice on this as I can, so if anyone see's this on another forum, please forgive
: me.

: I have a project Strat that I am working on and the neck I"m planning on using is from an
: older Kramer. The person I got the neck from (this was years ago...its been laying in the
: basement for a long time) said the guitar simply "fell over" and the headstock broke. Knowing
: this individual, it was more likely the result of a temper tantrum. It looks as if someone took
: the guitar by the body and simply slammed the headstock over a table. It's not a clean break
: and I am missing a small piece (about half inch by half inch) that I will have to recreate. If
: anyone needs more info on how its broken, please e-mail me at jtwalczak@adelphia.net and I
: can send you pics of the headstock. Now for the questions...

: Question #1...what kind of glue would you all recommend for the repair? I've seen Tightbond
: wood glue mentioned in a few places, plus I've used this on other wood projects and it seems
: to hold -very- well, but I've also seen references to "hide glue" as well as 2 part epoxy's.

: Question #2...As I said before, this is not a clean break by any means...should I try to work
: with whats still there, or should I try to sand out both sides flat for a better glue joint?

: Question #3...Would I be just better off all the way around to just cut the headstock off and
: cut/glue a new one on? And if so...any suggestions on how/where to set/glue the joint?

: I'm by no means a proffesional luthier, but I have been doing guitar repairs...mostly on my
: own, for many years now and have even built one from scratch (one of my next refinish
: projects actually). I also do allot of other woodworking projects, so I have various clamps, etc
: to do the repair, so please feel free to bombard me with suggestions!

: Also, depending on how well the refinish on this guitar goes (it's neon pink at the
: moment...going to try my first Sunburst...the wife said she'll take a saw to it if I leave it pink), I
: will probably go ahead and cut a thin veneer of maple for the face of the headstock just strictly
: as an esthetic's thing (again if the rest of it comes out nice), but I will burn that bridge when I
: get to it. This guitar is going to mainly be a stage back up for my "real" Strat, so I'm willing to
: be a little bolder then I might be otherwise with one of my "babies".

: I am greatful for any and all info and assistance...this is definatly something new for me, and I
: would just like to get a better foot hold, so to speak, before I start working on it.

: Bright Blessings and Gentle Breezes to all!
: Jim
: (guitarist/drummer - Harper Blue)
: www.harperblue.8k.com

HI
WoW !!! Why use the neck in the first place ??
As a Builder/repair Person my first problem is the missing piece of wood.If your able to make one your know have two glue 3 pieces of wood.Is the neck clear or solid color???? the reason i ask is there is a great way to repair this but it needs to a solid color.I would measure up and make a new neck exactly the dimesions of the orig.Give me a yell back if you want me to explain the repair tech i have done.good luck
bick tremontguitars.com

Re: broken headstock...

: : Greetings All!
: : I'm new here so please bear with me. Also I am posting this to other forums, as I am trying to
: : get as much advice on this as I can, so if anyone see's this on another forum, please forgive
: : me.

: : I have a project Strat that I am working on and the neck I"m planning on using is from an
: : older Kramer. The person I got the neck from (this was years ago...its been laying in the
: : basement for a long time) said the guitar simply "fell over" and the headstock broke. Knowing
: : this individual, it was more likely the result of a temper tantrum. It looks as if someone took
: : the guitar by the body and simply slammed the headstock over a table. It's not a clean break
: : and I am missing a small piece (about half inch by half inch) that I will have to recreate. If
: : anyone needs more info on how its broken, please e-mail me at jtwalczak@adelphia.net and I
: : can send you pics of the headstock. Now for the questions...

: : Question #1...what kind of glue would you all recommend for the repair? I've seen Tightbond
: : wood glue mentioned in a few places, plus I've used this on other wood projects and it seems
: : to hold -very- well, but I've also seen references to "hide glue" as well as 2 part epoxy's.

: : Question #2...As I said before, this is not a clean break by any means...should I try to work
: : with whats still there, or should I try to sand out both sides flat for a better glue joint?

: : Question #3...Would I be just better off all the way around to just cut the headstock off and
: : cut/glue a new one on? And if so...any suggestions on how/where to set/glue the joint?

: : I'm by no means a proffesional luthier, but I have been doing guitar repairs...mostly on my
: : own, for many years now and have even built one from scratch (one of my next refinish
: : projects actually). I also do allot of other woodworking projects, so I have various clamps, etc
: : to do the repair, so please feel free to bombard me with suggestions!

: : Also, depending on how well the refinish on this guitar goes (it's neon pink at the
: : moment...going to try my first Sunburst...the wife said she'll take a saw to it if I leave it pink), I
: : will probably go ahead and cut a thin veneer of maple for the face of the headstock just strictly
: : as an esthetic's thing (again if the rest of it comes out nice), but I will burn that bridge when I
: : get to it. This guitar is going to mainly be a stage back up for my "real" Strat, so I'm willing to
: : be a little bolder then I might be otherwise with one of my "babies".

: : I am greatful for any and all info and assistance...this is definatly something new for me, and I
: : would just like to get a better foot hold, so to speak, before I start working on it.

: : Bright Blessings and Gentle Breezes to all!
: : Jim
: : (guitarist/drummer - Harper Blue)
: : www.harperblue.8k.com

:
: HI
: WoW !!! Why use the neck in the first place ??
: As a Builder/repair Person my first problem is the missing piece of wood.If your able to make one your know have two glue 3 pieces of wood.Is the neck clear or solid color???? the reason i ask is there is a great way to repair this but it needs to a solid color.I would measure up and make a new neck exactly the dimesions of the orig.Give me a yell back if you want me to explain the repair tech i have done.good luck
: bick tremontguitars.com

Hey,
I don't know anything about the REPAIR, because I need a similar repair myself. Your guitar might have fell over. Last night my Dime 3 slid off the couch and I was pissed. I look just like how you decribed your headstock. Well, If you find the repair, please tell me, and if I find the repair, I'll tell you. My email is SNOT_BOMB_13@hotmail.com

Andy

Pedal for METALCORE

which distortion pedals are good to play metalcore?

Re: Pedal for METALCORE

I'm not sure what subgenre metalcore falls under...can't keep up with the evolution of metla anomore. But the best moder metal stomp box I've come acorss it the digitech Metalmaster. It seems to me to give screaming highs and punchy lows...but for me, best of all, when you dig in with a good palm mute it hits really hard.

: which distortion pedals are good to play metalcore?

Re: Pedal for METALCORE

thanz... metalcore it's more like hc but with metal riffs ;)

stratocaster decal

anyone know where i can find a mid 60 ,s transition decal for a strat thanks david

Re: stratocaster decal

Hello! nice 2005 for all ! does anyone know where i can find a mid 60 or mid 70s decal for a Fender strat... Many thanks, Kiko

strat decal

any one know where i can find a mid 60,s transition decal for my strat?

Re: strat decal

: any one know where i can find a mid 60,s transition decal for my strat?

Any strat tele decals can be ordered...
Contact me and see how barbu@comhem.se

Thanks and Happy New Year to all of You!

Wayne Static Distortion

Does anyone know what distortion or settings wayne uses. Espacially for that X- ecutionors song its going down
(sorry for my shitty spelling)
---Joe

Re: Wayne Static Distortion

: i just met wayne this weekend.cool guy. but his dist. comes from his amps. He uses marshall 100 watt JMP series heads and marshall 4x12's if im not mistaken.late-joe

...Wayne uses Marshall MG100HDFX, without pedals... The MG ia multieffect amp...

I just met Wayne this weekend.Freakin cool guy. Anyways, its all marshall dude.no pedals.100 watt JMP series heads(pretty sure) and a few 4x12's.late

: If your looking for that wayne static sound it's mostly in his seymour duncan distortion humbucker. I had one in my guitar for a while and every thing I paled sounded like static-X. But I do have to admit I took it out becaus it's a very hot high output humbucker which = hella feed back. Of course he also uses a marshall (mg100rcd head) and the (VS100RH) I personally perfer the Marshall (DSL100)Wayne started out with one of those. Hope I could help. Jesse ( Lead singer a nd guitarist from Deprive)

locking tunning system

whats the best way to keep the fine tuners at a point where there,is always play.NEVER TOO HIGH<OR LOW in case needs tunning,FINE TUNNING.one always seems always down and when usesing arm,still comes up out of tune.i thought this was what locking tunning is to prevent steve

marshall vs100

how do i get a good clean,yet ballsy sound out of this not to fuzzy.SETTINGS<WICH CHANNEL,how much gain,master ETC

Randy Rhoads boss me-6 patches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy Rhoads boss me-6 patches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This popular thread has been given its own page : Randy Rhoads boss me-6 patches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whats your fave song to play

i really dig hot 4 teacher at the moment.

Re: whats your fave song to play

Was just playing Idiots Rule (janes addiction).. kinda cool groove to it

: i really dig hot 4 teacher at the moment.

jane's addiction's STOP is pretty good too

: Was just playing Idiots Rule (janes addiction).. kinda cool groove to it

: : i really dig hot 4 teacher at the moment.

Yeah, like that one too, for some reason been back into them the past week after a long time.... been playing Ocean Size, and cranking the solos at earsplitting levels, sounds awesome on the black cat... but not going on the set list, wish we had a singer that could hit that stuff, weird but just dosen't sound right w/o that 'perry' type voice.

: jane's addiction's STOP is pretty good too

: : Was just playing Idiots Rule (janes addiction).. kinda cool groove to it

: : : i really dig hot 4 teacher at the moment.

I really like guava jelly, rip brad

Comfortably numb (pink floyd)...cool

Morris Offwhite

Hello ! Please help find a picture of a Morris Custom, Offwhite ? or any other information about a Morris Custom, Offwhite guitar!

From the greatest guitarplayer in Denmark!

DOES ANYONE KNOW

I FOUND A GUITAR AT A YARD SALE.IT IS MADE BY ARCH CRAFT. I THINK ARCH CRAFT WAS MADE BY THE KAY COMPANY. IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION, IF YOU COULD EMAIL ME I WOULD APPRECIATE IT VERY MUCH.

hohner st lynx pro

hohner st lynx pro

This popular thread has been given its own page : hohner st lynx pro

ESP Horizon 1

G-Day
pissed aussie looking at buying an ESP Horizon 1 with a through neck floyd rose reverse head stock bla bla bla does anyone know how much their worth. I have one available to me which comes with ESP hard case as well. Cheers.

Re: ESP Horizon 1

: G-Day
: pissed aussie looking at buying an ESP Horizon 1 with a through neck floyd rose reverse head stock bla bla bla does anyone know how much their worth. I have one available to me which comes with ESP hard case as well. Cheers.

Re: ESP Horizon 1

it all depends (how much its worth, that is) on what model. Its ESP, not LTD, right? what kind of finish?if its and esp, nice finish,newer, good condition,etc., youre probably looking at about a grand, thats if the buyer knows anything about it...

Books And Videos

Been playing guitar for about almost 2 years and would like to further my solos and such. I can solo, but i suck at it. I would like to know what books or videos helped you get to be where you are as a really experienced guitarist.Prob a book/video or something that i can pick up a local guitar center, you know where its not hard to find.
Please help me out.

Re: Books And Videos

<a href="http://www.musiciansbooks.com">MusiciansBooks</a> is worth checking out.

: Been playing guitar for about almost 2 years and would like to further my solos and such. I can solo, but i suck at it. I would like to know what books or videos helped you get to be where you are as a really experienced guitarist.Prob a book/video or something that i can pick up a local guitar center, you know where its not hard to find.
: Please help me out.

Tremolo Bar

Is there anything I can do with my Strat to help the strings go back in tune after I use my trem bar? They go so out of tune if I even bump the thing.... I tried tightening the springs but it didn't help too much...Any ideas?

Re: Tremolo Bar

There's several things you can do to alleviate this problem but it depends on how extreme you want to go. First you can replace the tuners with locking tuners. It will help eliminate slack in the windings of the strings...since you don't have to wind them around the tuner post. Another thing you can do, depends on the type of trem, is to tighten down the screws that mount it to the body...effectively eliminating the play in the trem. When I played Strats the fix I would do is to put a blocks of wood behind and in fron of the tremolo inside the body of the guitar ...I don't use trems. The problem with non-locking trems is the problem you're having...they go out of tune way too easily.
: Is there anything I can do with my Strat to help the
strings go back in tune after I use my trem bar? They go so out of tune if I even bump the thing.... I tried tightening the springs but it didn't help too much...Any ideas?

Okay, cool. Do you have any idea how much it costs to get a locking tuner put on a strat? Thanks...

help!!!!!

i recently got my first electric guitar, but i need help on just one thing. What the hell do you do with the stick thingy that comes out the end?? he he.... i'm new at this, sew me.

thanks--------shady

: if you don't already, use more springs, the more springs the more resistance; it will be harder to use the whammy bar but the strings won't go out of tune as easily

Locking tuners

Locking tuners run anywhere from about $30-70 bucks or more. I would recommend Ebay. Shop around on the internet as well....musiciansfriend.com, warmoth.com, customshopparts.com, etc. Essentially they replace your existing tuners and have a mechanism that locks your strings. One thing to check is to make sure that the outer diameter of the locking tuner shaft is the same as the inner diameter of your tuner holes. Then the replacement is relatively easy and painless.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.