Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - March, 2003

Archive for posts from March, 2003

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: what kind of guitar...help?

I would highly recommend buying a used guitar. This will save you money right off the top and typically acoustic guitars sound better after being played a bit. If you can find one for $600 a Tacoma would be great. Ovation makes a lot of great acoustic electrics that sound fantastic when plugged in and are respectable when not plugged in. I've got a guild F30 with an active pickup that I really like that I paid $800 for. Seagull also makes nice guitars at low prices. You might check them out.

SOmething else to consider... If you're not actively gigging, there's no real use for the pickup. I rarely use mine.

How can I play a guitar...Help me... I play by left hand

Zoom 607 patches

Please, where do I find zoom 607 patches... Id like to find some user submitted patches... Thanks..

Fayed kicks ass, my band....
www.onlinerock.com/musicians/fayed
Thanks

kalmazoo

I have a really old kalamzoo guitar(i was told it is posalby from the 60s),and the orginal picups have been replaced.Is kalmazoo made by gibson?? i have some pics of it, please if you think you can tell me anything about it, tell me, so i can email u the pics that i have.

ZOOM 3000S Patches

Has anyone out there got any decent patches for the zoom 3000s? I play metal mostly and being a wrinkly at 35 it tends to be Dokken, Van Halen, Malmsteen etc although I like Disturbed, mushroomhead as well.
Anything you got would be cool.

can anyone recommend....

can anyone recommend me a good amp?

Re: can anyone recommend....

: can anyone recommend me a good amp?

For what man?

Look up lustone.com he hand buils tube amps that smoke my boogie mark 1 look at his site .

bick

Meas Boogie DC5 had one for years, sold it to buy a Tremoverb dual recto head. WHAT A BIG MISTAKE!

Using the Major Scale to build chord progressions?

Fellox guitarists,
I've been playing and composing for years now, and I've grown tired of pentatonic scales and playing traditional chords, so I'm trying to develop a system where I can build chord progressions and riffs on the spot. The system I decided on is nothing new - its the Major Scale.
What I'm doing is memorizing all seven modes of the scale up and down the fretboard. With full coverage of the fretboard, I figured that I can build chords on the spot and use surrounding single notes to make fills and leads.
The first and obvious use of this technique is using the seven modes to build the traditional harmonic progression (M7,m7,m7,M7,dom 7,m7,m7b5), but this alone would be no major breakthrough,so I'm using my new awareness of the surrounding notes to build instant chord substitutions,different voicings,arpeggios, and fills that will automatically sound good(or at least in key).
I want to be able to pick up the guitar and just start playing ad-lib and have it sound harmonically perfect with instant fills and chord melodies.You can't do this by just guessing, and playing something pre-memorized doesn't count
At first this new technique was sounding rather bland, so I began adding "color tones" which were notes outside of the scale.I still used the scale as "home base" but was less strict with it.Also, by knowing the entire scale, I can use any mode as the "key", which creates an interesting sound (i.e. using the 5th or mixolydian note as the root.)
But I'm still having a problem. After awhile, what I'm playing starts to sound monotonious.Does anyone have any suggestions for creating progressions that sounds like its "going somewhere" and not just spinning wheels in the same key. Even though I'm using different voicings and dozens of chord substitutions, it just starts to sound like the same thing.
Is there a system for changing keys. I think the problem I'm having is that no matter how I use my new knowledge of the notes all over the fretboard, its still just the same seven notes (with occassional outer scale fills). I've tried switching keys alot, and I think I'm on to something, but was hoping someone had some pointers. Is it common to switch keys similar to how you might switch chords- meaning for example 1, 4, 5. (Key of A, key of D, then key of E)?
I'm starting to experiment alot to break out of this rut, but was hoping someone could tell me if I'm on the right track.
Thanks for reading this very long post and thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Doug

Re: Using the Major Scale to build chord progressions?

Whew!! Uh,I'll try to answer this.

1.Try not to build chords around scales!In secular music,it is easier to buld melodies around chords!! The chords are where the music is.They usually dictate the melody,harmonies and bass lines.You'll notice that the scales and arpeggios are already there,the choice of notes is up to you.

2.Memorization DOES COUNT!You'll have to know where the proper tones are and know that shit COLD!This is important when building your own catalog of riffs...Charlie Parker did it.

3.You know your modes,cool.NOW,FORGET 'EM!! Most of the "Hardcore" mofos I know agree that it's not wise to think about modes and their names.Especially when adlibing.Play what sounds good to you...and then rationalize it.You'll see things loosen up for you.

4.When changing keys you'll need to know passing chords and approach tones.This is another whole world of shit,beleive me.This requires some study and teaching.There are a lot of ways to change keys.

But I'd say use your imagination.Diddle around with your scales and arpeggios.Also,mess with some tunes that have nice transitions and learn from them.

I think you're headed in the right direction though.

Good Luck

Eddie,
Thanks for your input, and I realize the system I'm trying to develop is not the norm, but for my purposes I think it is best.My musical situation is that I no longer play in bands or really coordinate with other musicians. I now focus on composing and recording. Thats the reason that I am trying to build everything from scales - I don't need to worry about how to play along with another guitarist whos play a certian chord progression, etc.
For example, I can come up with great sounding substitutions and fills by knowing all the surrounding notes.And heres how I've been composing progressions:
1. Decide on a mode and key (lets say A mixolydian)
2.Decide on a root note progression (lets say A,D,E)
3.Build chords(or two note intervals)and single note fills from all the surrounding notes (I don't even care what the chords are called, I just focus on building "shapes" regardless of whether its a m7b5 or a sus2, etc., as long as they sound good.
4.Now , my problem has been, after awhile of playing from a certian scale, it starts to sound like it needs an "overall" change. So what I've discovered is the way to "shift" the overall tonalty is to shift to a new scale. Lets say D mixolydian.Now I just build everything on the new scale. And I'll continue changing scales as needed.
Also, I add "outside notes" to add color. Or sometimes shift keys one after another (for example I'll build a climb -G Phygian, G# Phygain,A Phygain)
I know this system won't work for everyone, but since my main focus is composing and I'm a solo act (I play keys, drums, and bass and record one track at a time)I find this easier then trying to use all the conventional rules of harmony, substitutions, intervals, etc.
I guess my main question was:is there a known system for changing keys. For example, the progression I mentioned ealier - A mix, D mix, E mix.... those three root notes are themselves in the mixolydian scale. (A being the root,D being the 4th, E the 5th).My questions is- is this a common way of changing keys, to choose roots that are themselves in the scale.
The more I experiment, the more I'm finding good sounding "key shifts".
In some songs I've came up with using this system, theres maybe 10 key changes.
I was just hoping that someone was famialar with what I'm trying to do and had some advice.
In the end I guess it just depends on how it sounds.
Doug

You may have to get past how it sounds and play patterns (geometric) regardless of tonal color. Your ear may protest but if you're looking for unique and fresh it's your ear and years of tonal conditioning that's preventing the breakthrough. Just a thought. Gary

The technique that you are looking for is called modulation. It is a relatively simple technique provided you know all your keys and chords.
The first thing you do is establish your starting key with a V-I cadence, it doesn't matter what other chords you have in the progression as long as that V-I happens, then you chose a chord that is the same in the your starting key and your destination key and change its purpose ie: the V of your original key could become the I of your new key and you procceed in establishing the new key.
example:
I-vi-ii-V-I-V
new key:I-vi-ii-V-I
key of C now key of G
C-Am-Dm-G-C-G-Em-Am-D-G

In the example above either C or G could be considered the pivot of the modulation. It is important to remember that any of the 7 chords in a key can be used as a pivot chord to modulate.

Thank you Eddie G but............?

hey thanks but how do you do that potting think without fucking ma pickup........some details please?

Re: Thank you Eddie G but............? "DON'T" ! !

Don't do it yourself!!The wax has to be the right grade,the right temperature,right amount for a certain length of time.Let a qualified Guitar tech do it!

******Guitar Trax Wanted******

Hi guys
My name is Seamus Murnane I run a website called HarmonicaClub.com. The site provides harmonica lessons primarily for blues harp.
What I'm looking for is a guitar player to record some twelve bar blues background tracks for the members at HarmonicaClub.com to jam to
Unfortunately I can’t offer any payment as my site don’t make any profit (even though I charge for membership)
I can offer free membership at the club, which may be of benefit if you want to add harmonica to your skills, and hopefully you would like the idea of having your sound files on the net.
What I’m looking for (to start with) is just some basic 12 bar blues in “G” or “A” fast and slow in either .wav or .mp3 format. If anyone can help, e-mail me at
webmaster@harmonicaclub.com

Great site hope you don’t mind me using your message board in this way

Gold & Silver Guitar Plectrums

I have found a wicked website, they sell gold and silver guitar furniture, such as plectrums, scratch plates, truss rod covers etc. Go check out the website www.maranita.com

Mansfield guitar

Mansfield guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Mansfield guitar

Do I have a Martin?

I bought a kit guitar at a flea market in Ky. It was already put together. The guy I bought it from didnt know anything about guitars but it looks like a D28. How can I tell if this is a Martin kit?

Re: Do I have a Martin?

You really can't. All the pieces in the kit are in unfinished condition with no identifying marks. The back of the neck should have the Martin diamond volute but even this can be reshaped a bit during sanding. The kits come will all parts except the Martin logo decal! Unless these kits are finished in an exceptional manner, they usually are valued more towards intrinsic value and not Martin model value....TC

Has anybody played Maton M300 acoustic?

Just can't find any info on this guitar and want to buy used one. I would like to know what someone who actualy played it thinks of it, especialy if it's suitable for recording in the studio?
Thanks!

Re: Has anybody played Maton M300 acoustic?

Hi,
I just played some maton guitars yesterday. I played some used and some new ones. I noticed that under-saddle+mic pickups are good for fingerpicking. The model you asked for, IN MY OPINION, has too much bass range (something like a Martin acustic). I prefer playing a model called the 'TE1' which is AMAZING (a bit heavier than a Taylor, with a fatter top... but awesome). I had a jam with some other acustics (Tacoma, Avalon, Sadowsky) but there was nothing better than the TE1. Get one of them man, and let the M300 at the Shop, HA HA. Keep picking.

Sound City 120

Hi everybody!!
I´m looking for a user manual.
Does anybody have a user manual or descriptions of the "Sound City 120" bass amp ? (I had no success until now searching on the www.)
And if so, would it be possible to send it via e-mail to my adress?

thank you in advance,
Jotti

Re: Sound City 120

If you find one could I have a copy, the old girls in the garage and needs to be renovated.

Rog

Re: Sound City 120

HI.

I have a Sound City 120 r with a 4x12 allso from sound city.

If you should find a user manual. could you send it to me??

thanks

Sound City L120 MARK 4

Wanted to find schematics, also how to date these amps with the serial numbers.

Gretch Diamond Anniversary

Where are the serial numbers located on these guitars? I am assuming it is the pressed digits on the pick-up guards.

MUSICIANS WANTED FOR NEW REALITY SERIES

The producers of the Emmy Award–winning HBO series, "Taxicab Confessions" are casting a new reality T.V. series set on the Sunset Strip. We are looking for musicians, actors, comedians and producers – anyone who’s here in Los Angeles to "make it." Each person MUST have an affiliation with Sunset Boulevard – they must work, perform on or frequent The Sunset Strip.

We are looking for real stories and real people. This is not a performance or acting piece. Acting experience not required.

MALES & FEMALES, 18-34, all ethnicities, all professions, engaging, interesting, open and honest.

Questions, contact:
Charlotte or Shannon at 818-594-8881,
charlotte@crushedplanet.com

Re: MUSICIANS WANTED FOR NEW REALITY SERIES

wondering... what KIND of reality show? will it have anything to do with music?? what's the reason you want just musicians, actors, blah blah etc... just curious. anyone else reading this need to start a band, e-mail me too.

looking for prs guitar neck!

I am building a guitar and I want to put a prs guitar neck on it, but they don't sell the k=neck seperatly. If anyone has one I will be happy to buy it. e-mail me at seemorehinie@yahoo.com

Re: looking for prs guitar neck!

Have you tried any receiver companies or big insurance companies. If anyone has a replacement item through their insurance policy, the damaged item is usually sent back to the insurance company and they will either auction it or bin it. However, PRS guitars tend to be very well looked after due to their price tag - unless your an immature, obnoxious, cow of an Avril who tries to smash one up in her "Skater Boy" vid' but can't because she's only a "wanna be" rock chic!

Ok, dipshits...no one will help you identify you stupid guitar...if you want to know shit about it t

Oh god....I have a guitar that was made years ago by such and such company...help me identify it??? fuck you, contact the company. They're all still in business (with the exception of a few). Go away! Use the potential of the internet for all it's worth and do your own damn research. No one here will help you. If you don't believe me then use that scroll down button you neglect and read the posts that never get answered!

Re: Ok, dipshits...no one will help you identify you stupid guitar...if you want to know shit about

The guitar is a great instrument. Some folks out there have more knowledge on it than others. Its always lekka to know a bit more. Keep the passion and take a chill pill.

If you want damn fills for your overpriced processors....

why don't you try contacting the company that made the shitty equipment? Instead of wasting space on this website why don't you contact the stupid fuckers that convinced you to by the shit? If you want to waste your money why are you bothering us? And if you're so full of ass, why don't you be original and make up your own sound? Why do you need fills? Because you suck and have no origionality. Eat a dick.

Dude, I dont know what you are talking about but I sounds pretty good

: why don't you try contacting the company that made the shitty equipment? Instead of wasting space on this website why don't you contact the stupid fuckers that convinced you to by the shit? If you want to waste your money why are you bothering us? And if you're so full of ass, why don't you be original and make up your own sound? Why do you need fills? Because you suck and have no origionality. Eat a dick.

Dude, I dont know what you are talking about but I sounds pretty good

: why don't you try contacting the company that made the shitty equipment? Instead of wasting space on this website why don't you contact the stupid fuckers that convinced you to by the shit? If you want to waste your money why are you bothering us? And if you're so full of ass, why don't you be original and make up your own sound? Why do you need fills? Because you suck and have no origionality. Eat a dick.

Ibanez for sale

rg170, it is new, in the box
black finish
$200

Pat Metheny

With pleasure I will deal a contact with someone who is interested in work of Pat Metheny, share with opinions about his music. Hae You heard new arrange of "Are You Going With Me?" done with Anna Maria Jopek Band last year ? It's powerful piece of great composition.

Yakety Axe

Yakety Axe

Hi! I am trying to learn Yakety Axe, originally by Chet Atkins, as Printed in Total Guitar issue 59 (August 1999). I have the score, but am looking for the backing track and full version as played on the CD that accompanied that issue (Tracks 25&26). The versions on the CD and the tab are transcribed by Kit Morgan. I hav tried searching the P2P networks, but they come up with the Chet Atkins versions which include the singing, so i really need the versions off that particular Total Guitar CD.

Total Guitar themselves say that they cannot help me, and i wish now i had kept the CD in a safer place, so as not too have lost it. Never mind!

I hope someone can help, if so please email me, or post back here! Thanks,

Stuart. M. Yates
yates_stuart@lycos.co.uk

Re: Yakety Axe

hi Stuart

If it helps, I've got a midi arrangement of Yakety Axe that I could send you. I could even save you the trouble of muting the lead guitar track and do that for you.

Also I could send you an mp3 or wav file off of Chet Akins' best of album, if that would do for the "full track."

And you could try software like this to turn the full track into a backing track: http://www.vocaleliminator.com/

Hope this is helpful, email me if you want the files ok?

Chantelle.

Epiphone by Gibson S-310B

Hello. I have a S-310B, but I need some information that I don't get in the net about my guitar. The serial number is like this XXXXXXXXX and I don't know to decode it. Can you help me?

You can see my guitar here: http://www.geocities.com/fermhg/s310b.html

Thank you

Re: Epiphone by Gibson S-310B

: Hello. I have a S-310B, but I need some information that I don't get in the net about my guitar. The serial number is like this XXXXXXXXX and I don't know to decode it. Can you help me?

: You can see my guitar here: http://www.geocities.com/fermhg/s310b.html

: Thank you

I just bought the same one...paid 80 bucks ...real nice but hate the tuners/heads.

scala valve combo

can anyone tell me anything about this amp, just got it off a friend for free, it has a goodmans 10" speaker,2 inputs and 2 volumes and 1 tone control, 1xecc83, 1xel84 and a gz rectifier, i can crank it right up and it sounds like a vintage marshall on full, only no bleeding ears. any help much appreciated.

Re: scala valve combo

I bought one of these in 1966 (!) - used it with Vox 3-pickup guitar, & later with Burns Bison. 10W rating, sounded louder - lovely overdrive when cranked. Really is a minor classic. Sold it to buy Viking 50 head in '68, sold that to buy Vox AC30TB. Wish I still had the Scala today - it would be a killer recording amp for blues, ideally with Tele or Strat - single-coil pickups suit this kind of sound much better than hummers, IMHO. Don't let yours go for love or money!

APX4a Yamaha Acoustic Electric

Where can I find a battery cover for this guitar? No one seems to carry Yamaha replacement parts.

RRFB contest

Hey everybody! There is a great contest going on to win a lapsteel guitar from Robert Randolph and the Family Band. Plus, you win a lesson from Robert Randolph himself!

Robert Randolph and the Family Band are extremely positive, and make you want to jump up and shout "Hallelujah!" with their gospel, bluesy sound. They cover Hendrix tunes with Robert pulling of Jimi's licks exceptionally well on his pedal steel. He also played with John Medeski and the Mississippi Allstars in The Word. RRFB has become an elite member of the "jamband" community and play several festivals including Bonnaroo. Check out RRFB here if you are unfamiliar http://pages.m80im.com/?TDoxNjU= or enter the contest here http://pages.m80im.com/?Qzo4ODoyMTQwODA=

Have a great day!

scalloped fingerboard and intonation

Hi. I'm planing to have my fingerboard scalloped from the 12th fret. Will this make intonation very difficult? I mean you normally intonate comparing the harmonic over 12th fret to the note on the fret, but with scalloping, variations on the pressure will detune the note. Will this be a nightmare? Thanks masters! fdi@ran.es

gtr

er

pedal power

hello. is there any way to hook up all your pedals with out having to buy batteries for all of them, or adapters for all of them?? thanx

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2022 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.