Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - June, 2003

Archive for posts from June, 2003

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Whats a good brand for a guitar thats not to exspensive?

Samick guitars are really cheap and actually not that bad. You can pick one up around $200, but I've always been partial to Squire by Fender.

i have been playing guitar for years and the best inexpensive one i have found is austin it feels and sounds just like a les paul

: Hi I am a new guitar player looking for a good guitar. I heard austin guitars and raven guitars are good . What do u think? Is there other ones?

Ok, here's the deal. Guitars, like anything else come down to "what the heck will I do if I don't want this thing anymore" kind of issue. Unless you are willing to dedicate time and effort (which I guess you are as indicated by writing to this site)PLEASE go for somthing that at least you can recoupe some cash on. Long story short...by a Seagull guitar, solid wood top (vital) $300. and another $60. for a hardshell case leaves you with ALL the options: a)you won't quit playing because the instrument sucks. b)you can get most of your cash back because it does'nt sound like a garbage instrument, ie:squire, dean. c)If you hold on to it, you might change your mind about playing and will still have a quality instrument. And finally e) they make excellent gifts to girlfriends/boyfriends/brothers/sisters. etc.

: Hi I am a new guitar player looking for a good guitar. I heard austin guitars and raven guitars are good . What do u think? Is there other ones?

Hi!! I have never owned an Austin guitar but I heard are a nice inexpensive guitar if looking for one.. I own 2 Raven RSM 1000 guitars and I have to tell you that RavenWestGuitar is by far the greatest guitar company that I have ever delt with.. Their products are the best by far and their is nothing that I have ever played even compares to Raven.. You can pick a $600.00 guitar for half that at www.RavenWestGuitar.com
Trust me you will be cery satisfied in any of the wonderful products that they have to offer..
Ever since my first purchase of a Raven guitar I'll never do business with any other company..

Thank You,
Michael Payne

: : Hi I am a new guitar player looking for a good guitar. I heard austin guitars and raven guitars are good . What do u think? Is there other ones?

: Hi!! I have never owned an Austin guitar but I heard are a nice inexpensive guitar if looking for one.. I own 2 Raven RSM 1000 guitars and I have to tell you that RavenWestGuitar is by far the greatest guitar company that I have ever delt with.. Their products are the best by far and their is nothing that I have ever played even compares to Raven.. You can pick a $600.00 guitar for half that at www.RavenWestGuitar.com
: Trust me you will be cery satisfied in any of the wonderful products that they have to offer..
: Ever since my first purchase of a Raven guitar I'll never do business with any other company..

: Thank You,
: Michael Payne

hey I have played both of those brands and they are good but you might wanna check out a hamer they have pure sound and are not very expensive

matt(axe)simpson

Tuning

How do I tune my guitar to a drum kit, or visa versa?

Re: Tuning

: How do I tune my guitar to a drum kit, or visa versa?

in my experience many drummers conception of tuning is a topic that is more concerned around (depending on the situation)"feel". I happen to know drummers who actually "adjust" tonality and also keep they're feel. I don't completly understand your circumstance but a good rule of thumb is to keep your guitar in tune and talk to your drummer about what he/she hears. An exellent drummer who always came across melodicly was the late Tony Williams. Aside from achieving great success in the "traditional" application of creative drumming; his fusion playing with Allen Holdsworth, (Tony Williams: Lifetime)is a fantastic example of "drums to band" tuning. Check it, later

Re: Tuning

: How do I tune my guitar to a drum kit, or visa versa?

in my experience many drummers conception of tuning is a topic that is more concerned around (depending on the situation)"feel". I happen to know drummers who actually "adjust" tonality and also keep they're feel. I don't completly understand your circumstance but a good rule of thumb is to keep your guitar in tune and talk to your drummer about what he/she hears. An exellent drummer who always came across melodicly was the late Tony Williams. Aside from achieving great success in the "traditional" application of creative drumming; his fusion playing with Allen Holdsworth, (Tony Williams: Lifetime)is a fantastic example of "drums to band" tuning. Check it, later

electic lap steel montez,

please help won,t to learn to play

Scott Laywood

r u out there scoot from thomas estley community college where u in grease the band and do u have a girlfriend as someone i know fancies the ase of you

Re: Scott Laywood

i jsut want to say u r cute and that will you email me

alliance vp

alliance vp

This popular thread has been given its own page : alliance vp

Solo Guitaring

where and how can i learn to improve my solo guitaring

Re: Solo Guitaring

What style of guitar do you play? you ever been to www.guitartricks.com ? i am a host on there, just click on my name terry couch, i play country style and southern rock but if you want another style there are other players there also, and it has soundfiles and tab.

: where and how can i learn to improve my solo guitaring

The best way to improve your solo playin is learn from the people you like.

Example: If you like SRV, Metalica or anyone
Put on their CD and try to work out what they're playing just using your ears.

Start off simplest song and go from there. "What goes in will always come out". If you listen to them then enough you will begin to play like 'em.

Also don't just learn bits of a song, learn it all so you can play it all the way though. otherwise you'll end up a "Bitsa" player ( Someone who can only play "Bitsa" this an "Bitsa" a that. Which will drive you crazy.

It might seem hard at first but keep trying it will be worth it in the end. You will also end up with a highly tuned ear.

Hope this helps

Steve

: where and how can i learn to improve my solo guitaring
JUST KEEP PLAYING AND GET SLEEP
CANT LEARN WITH OUT SLEEP

floor your fingers to the max
and your slow playing will get better
play fast even if you suck

EKO Cygnus - rough pricing needed

I have got an EKO guitar model Cygnus for sale. It looks exactly like this one:

http://www.fetishguitars.com/html/eko/hollowbody/cygnus.html

I have no idea what price would be acceptable for a potential buyer. The guitar looks old but exactly how old it is I don't know. It is in average to good condition, I think. Any help would be appreciated.

Peter

Re: EKO Cygnus - rough pricing needed

do u still have this guitar on sale?
where are u from?
thanks, bye

: I have got an EKO guitar model Cygnus for sale. It looks exactly like this one:

: http://www.fetishguitars.com/html/eko/hollowbody/cygnus.html

: I have no idea what price would be acceptable for a potential buyer. The guitar looks old but exactly how old it is I don't know. It is in average to good condition, I think. Any help would be appreciated.

: Peter

takamine f349 value.

takamine f349 value.

This popular thread has been given its own page : takamine f349 value.

mandolins

I have a mandolin that I received from my grandfather.
In the oval hole it says American Conservitory.
If anyone could give me info on when it was made and some history, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Les

mandolins

I have a mandolin that I received from my grandfather.
In the oval hole it says American Conservitory.
If anyone could give me info on when it was made and some history, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Les

Re: mandolins

homo

Work from the comforts of home

Clerical ad typists currently required. Full training provided, no previous experience needed. Company pays per response, and not per sale. No soliciting, or commission pay structure. Paid for the work you do. Please send your enquiry to smartjobs3899@indiatimes.com

VOX CHEETAH FOR SALE

vintage 1967 Vox hollow body guitar with on-board effects. Can be seen at vox Museum site. E-mail for pictures and info. http://www.voxamps.com/vintage/museum/voxguit/guitar1.htm

Re: VOX CHEETAH FOR SALE

: vintage 1967 Vox hollow body guitar with on-board effects. Can be seen at vox Museum site. http://www.voxamps.com/vintage/museum/voxguit/guitar1.htm
E-mail me (uticat@hotmail.com) For pictures and info.

Re: VOX CHEETAH FOR SALE

Please send pix, info and asking price.
Thanx
Larry

: vintage 1967 Vox hollow body guitar with on-board effects. Can be seen at vox Museum site. E-mail for pictures and info. http://www.voxamps.com/vintage/museum/voxguit/guitar1.htm

how can i convert the voltage??

I am in the Army and stationed in Germany. I bought an Ibanez acoustic amp on the economy. The plug (which can be unpluged from the amp itself) is of 220 voltage. I was wondering if I could get an adaptor to convert the voltage into 110, for when i move back to the States. Or if i should just go ahead and sell the amp.

nazi traitor to our country

are you stupid or a nazi?

Re: how can i convert the voltage??

You can get a converter or step it down yourself, usually the power supply already has the option for 110/220 operation, just take a look at it and make any mods.

: I am in the Army and stationed in Germany. I bought an Ibanez acoustic amp on the economy. The plug (which can be unpluged from the amp itself) is of 220 voltage. I was wondering if I could get an adaptor to convert the voltage into 110, for when i move back to the States. Or if i should just go ahead and sell the amp.

Re: how can i convert the voltage??

: You can get a converter or step it down yourself, usually the power supply already has the option for 110/220 operation, just take a look at it and make any mods.

: Also check the amp for a dual voltage transformer, i.e. 110 / 220 If it has one, you need only throw the switch or do a little rewiring and doubling the fuse amps.

: : I am in the Army and stationed in Germany. I bought an Ibanez acoustic amp on the economy. The plug (which can be unpluged from the amp itself) is of 220 voltage. I was wondering if I could get an adaptor to convert the voltage into 110, for when i move back to the States. Or if i should just go ahead and sell the amp.

Watkins CopiCat

Ive acquired an old Watkins copicat which i hope to get back to its full glory - i think its an original valve model (double opening doors on top) - any one have any ideas where I could get some info / manual to help with getting it working?

les paul flametop search

Looking for Cannon guitar web link.......Thanks....google no help.

first guitar

i'm learning how to play the guitar, but right now i am barrowing one from a friend. i was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion for a good
(beginer-intermediate) guitar. preferably one that i could get for $200 and under

stupid

r u crazy or stupide?

Re: first guitar

"(beginer-intermediate) guitar. preferably one that i could get for $200 and under"
You can pick up a reasonable older guitar on Ebay for about $100. Used is better than new for an entry level guitar, I think. There are hundreds on there.

need help with patch settings zoom gfx 707II

need help with patch settings zoom gfx 707II

This popular thread has been given its own page : need help with patch settings zoom gfx 707II

Free durm tab writer program (available for printing)

Could you please send above program to me. Thanks!!

Re: Free durm tab writer program (available for printing)

: Could you please send above program to me. Thanks!!

Re: Free durm tab writer program (available for printing)

: : Could you please send above program to me, i really need it, ive been doing things the hard way for 3 years and just found this site. yeah, thanx

Vantage Acoustic Value? VN200

Was wondering if anyone knows the value of a Vantage Acoustic Guitar? Also maybe age? Where it is sold? Thanks!

stupid

are you stupid or crazy?

Yamaha FG-340 Value?

Yamaha FG-340 Value?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Yamaha FG-340 Value?

Guitar Lessons

Hi everyone,
I run a guitar school in Scotland UK and have recently set up a website with regular tutorial articles available free of charge to anyone interested. The web address is (www.theguitarschool.biz) Have fun....

Jim Conquer

Re: Guitar Lessons

: Hi everyone,
Your articles relating to guitar playing, styles, history etc. are welcome for publication in our tutorial section in our website (www.theguitarschool.biz) Check out the site downloads page for more info.

All the best

Jim Conquer

: I run a guitar school in Scotland UK and have recently set up a website with regular tutorial articles available free of charge to anyone interested. The web address is (www.theguitarschool.biz) Have fun....

: Jim Conquer

painting my guitar...how? where? suggestions...?

hello. my question is this...(and i'm sorry if this has been asked and answered previously on this board, but i didn't have time to read all the posts)...i have a gretch bass. it has a standard black finish. i want to refinish it to a silver sparkle/glitter finish (very similar to the mid-nineties 'silver jet' guitar). what is the process/paint type/laquer type (etc) that i would have to use. OR, where is a good place to have it done? does anyone know how to contact the gretch people? i also only want to spend a few hundred dollars. so, that could eliminate a lot of 'high end' places that the pro's use. i really appreciate the help.

later.

Re: painting my guitar...how? where? suggestions...?

Check out Re-Ranch

: hello. my question is this...(and i'm sorry if this has been asked and answered previously on this board, but i didn't have time to read all the posts)...i have a gretch bass. it has a standard black finish. i want to refinish it to a silver sparkle/glitter finish (very similar to the mid-nineties 'silver jet' guitar). what is the process/paint type/laquer type (etc) that i would have to use. OR, where is a good place to have it done? does anyone know how to contact the gretch people? i also only want to spend a few hundred dollars. so, that could eliminate a lot of 'high end' places that the pro's use. i really appreciate the help.

: later.

If think you would be better off looking for another bass rather than risk nessing your Gretsch up. Home refinishing is a long slow boring job and it might still look shit afterwards.

I repainted my Strat and it came out pretty good. Check this site out, it helped me alot with my project. www.projectguitar.com Its got a bunch of tutorials on how to do it.

In sum, you pretty much take everything off the body, strip the paint off, which I recommend doing with a heat gun or something similar. Trying to chip it off with the use of checmical stripper is difficult because the paint used to paint guitars is usually very thick. You also are less prone to chipping the body with the heat gun.

Then you sand it down a bit so all the paint is off, then get some primer and put about 3-4 coats of that on. Then put your real paint on, depending on your prefrence, 5-10 coats? Then you need a clear coat to protect the paint, you want probably 5 coats of that.

Follow the tutorials on Project Guitar and have fun.

Dan Smith's page

Dan Smith has an acoustic page called Dansm's Acoustic Page. He has transcribed many good songs, but has a note saying Warner Brothers has sent him a legal notice to take them down. The site is still operational but hasn't been updated in a while. I'd like to know if anyone has downloaded them and if they could send them to me at the above e-mail address.

contessa bass guitar semi acoustic model HG160

can you give me some information about this guitar,
it is in very good condition, I believe it was made by
goya for hofner ?? I have owned it for some 30 years
manny thanks

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.