Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2003

Archive for posts from August, 2003

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: josh hommes QOTSA guitar model

it's an ovation they don't make it any more
you can get an aria copy it's the pe series pro2

He uses an ovation gt they are extremly rare he also use ampeg amplification which is also rare fro lead guitar.

Right lets put you all straight...
Josh plays an Ovation Ultra GP, made in 1984, there are only about 200-250 in existence, and I am the prowd owner of one of them! Anyway, he has about 5, including a very beat up black one with a badass tune-o-matic bridge, this is one of the poorer versions however with cheaper hard ware. He has two others that I have seen him use, both modded to be string through, a Wine Red one and a Sunburst model.
He also plays as mentioned, a Maton MS500 and similar models, he has many of these, I have seen at least 4 different ones.
Other guitars he uses live are a Black Epiphone Dot and green Burns Double Six.
As for amps he uses an Ampeg VT-40 with a V-4 head and 2x12 cab and sometimes some VT-22s.
However, as the Ampeg amps are completely clean does anyone know how he gets his overdriven sound? Does he use a power break or preamp?
I use a tube works preamp, an Ampeg VT-22 and Ovation GP and achieve a pretty similar sound.

Interest in a new guitar

I have been playing music for 6 years, but the electric guitar for only 2. My current guitar is a Strat copy, a Galveston. I am looking for a guitar that is a little better. I now have narrowed it down to 2: A blue Fender Squire, And a green Mexican made Fender Strat with a humbucker pickup. Can anyone help me in my decision? The Squire in $150 and the Strat in $399, or $349 without the humbucker.

Re: Interest in a new guitar

Do yourself a favor and get the standard fender strat for 350

gt3

help i would like to obtain the classic marshall overdrive sound as on channel 2 of the marhsall vs100r but i seem to be getting nowhere any suggestion ?

Special Guitar Tuning for Handicap

I have a friend that has lost three fingers on his left hand. He use to enjoy playing the guitar but is unable now. I've been told that there is a way to tune the guitar so he could use one finger (I'm assuming accross all the strings) to change notes. Is this true? If so, can someone tell me how? I've never touched a guitar so please explain in simple terms. Much Thanks, This will lift his spirits.

Re: Special Guitar Tuning for Handicap

most open tunings make for "single finger" barre chords, start out with open G, D tunings, the most common... get him a slide :). I saw a bluegrass banjo player with missing fingers, he just played with his 'nubs' over the top of the neck and was awesome so tell him not to give up, and with 2 fingers left (to hold a pick or finger pick) he could always change to lefty (if he is righty) and fret regularlly with his right hand.

: I have a friend that has lost three fingers on his left hand. He use to enjoy playing the guitar but is unable now. I've been told that there is a way to tune the guitar so he could use one finger (I'm assuming accross all the strings) to change notes. Is this true? If so, can someone tell me how? I've never touched a guitar so please explain in simple terms. Much Thanks, This will lift his spirits.

Re: Special Guitar Tuning for Handicap

i completely agree with the first post... normally when you strum a guitar 'open', or without the left hand fretting any notes, the strings do not make a chord... its a dissonant mess. by retuning the strings to make an 'open' chord you have 'open tunings'.

here is a link with some specifics:
http://guitar.about.com/cs/alternatetunings/

slide guitar would probably be the way to go. with or without the altered tunings.

as for other role models... django reinhardt was one of the most brilliant players to ever breath and he lost the use of two left hand fingers in a fire. i think tony iommi of black sabbath also lost a couple digits... but three... geez... thats hard. maybe switching to lefty would be the best way to go...

Guitar Tab needed!!!!!!!

Hello! i´m looking for the guitar tab of "TOMORROW LAND" by John Scofield. i need it for studying at a music university in vienna and so it´s quite important for me. if anyone has the tabs, please send it to me
thanks

pickguard yamaha guitar FG 300

where can i find a pickguard for my late 60`s yamaha FG300 guitar? these were made in japan and were larger than the ones made later. thanks for any help.

Re: pickguard yamaha guitar FG 300

: where can i find a pickguard for my late 60`s yamaha FG300 guitar? these were made in japan and were larger than the ones made later. thanks for any help.

My brother has a FG300 also where the pick guard is in bad need of replacement. If you find a source, please e-mail me with that information.

Les Paul custom year

Howdy folks

MORRIS GUITAR MODEL MD 502LH

can anyone tell me any information and an approx. cost to buy new for a left handed morris guitar model number MD 502LH
much appreciated.

Les Paul Custom

Howdy Folks,Could someone tell me the year this guitar wae made?Les Paul CUSTOM ser.no.70869569 gold hardware block inlay at frets 1,3,5,7,9,12,15,17,19,21,multi-layer black/white binding truss rod cover with Les Paul in script and CUSTOM in capital block style letters, burgandy in colour,ebony fingerboard.thanks Steve

Re: Les Paul Custom

: Howdy Folks,Could someone tell me the year this guitar wae made?Les Paul CUSTOM ser.no.70869569 gold hardware block inlay at frets 1,3,5,7,9,12,15,17,19,21,multi-layer black/white binding truss rod cover with Les Paul in script and CUSTOM in capital block style letters, burgandy in colour,ebony fingerboard.thanks Steve

Hi Steve, according to the serial # it should be a 1970 model, i have a les paul custom with the serial #80560084 and its a 1980 model, the first 2 numbers is the year. I am a host on www.guitartricks.com, i have over 220 riffs you can listen to and they are tabed and its free if you want to check it out, thanks.

Hey Steve, it may be a 1979 model, it might be the 1st and the 5th number that is the year, mine would still be a 1980 model, does yours have the upper or lower ling between the O and the N? On the Gibson Logo? : Howdy Folks,Could someone tell me the year this guitar wae made?Les Paul CUSTOM ser.no.70869569 gold hardware block inlay at frets 1,3,5,7,9,12,15,17,19,21,multi-layer black/white binding truss rod cover with Les Paul in script and CUSTOM in capital block style letters, burgandy in colour,ebony fingerboard.thanks Steve

On the Les Pauls of the 70's The 1st and 5th number represent the year, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are the number of the day of that year and finally the last three tell what factory location it was made. Be it Kalamazoo or Nashville. I believe the 570's area means it was made in Nashville, I have one and the #572 and it was made in Nashville. The gibson website explains how to identify your guitar based on the serial #. Hope I helped.

: Howdy Folks,Could someone tell me the year this guitar wae made?Les Paul CUSTOM ser.no.70869569 gold hardware block inlay at frets 1,3,5,7,9,12,15,17,19,21,multi-layer black/white binding truss rod cover with Les Paul in script and CUSTOM in capital block style letters, burgandy in colour,ebony fingerboard.thanks Steve

Hi Steve,

That guitar was made at the Nashville plant on March 26, 1979 and was the 69th instrument off the line that day. See http://www.gibson.com/downloads/bluebook/GibsonSERIALNUMBERS.pdf

Cheers,

Tony

Guitar String Guage

What is the usuall string guage for an accoustic guitar? It is a Yamaha cerca 1965.

Re: Guitar String Guage

I'd say around .10's but I think more than anything its preferance try some diffrent sizes out.

belajar gitar

belajar gitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : belajar gitar

hohner hg-14 amde in japan wut is worth

any 1 know wut a hohner hg-14 that is amde in japan worth this guy at a guitar shop wants to buy it from me for a 100 bucks is it worth more????

Re: hohner hg-14 amde in japan wut is worth

: any 1 know wut a hohner hg-14 that is amde in japan worth this guy at a guitar shop wants to buy it from me for a 100 bucks is it worth more????

I have a Hohner HG 14 and would not let it go for $500. It's in beautiful shape. It was given to me by a girlfriend some years ago and is probably over 20 years old.

honer HG-14

I have one as well that belonged to my father and seeing him play it when i was young made me want to play and when he passed it went to me and i wouldnt give it up for anything. Sounds great! clarity and depth to the sound! well built and alot of fun to play.!!!

hONER hg-14

mADE IN jAPAN IN THE 70'S-EARLY 80'S. Has a spruce top a mahogony body, has become quit collectable because of its quality and rich sound. Hold on to it!! Its a great guitar!

G&L Broadcaster

Anyone here know anyhing about G&L Guitras?
I have a G&L Broadcaster the # on it is B000287, so apparently its an early model. I know there were only about 1100 made, just wondering what a Broadcaster in "Good" condition might go for.

Re: G&L Broadcaster

: Anyone here know anyhing about G&L Guitras?
: I have a G&L Broadcaster the # on it is B000287, so apparently its an early model. I know there were only about 1100 made, just wondering what a Broadcaster in "Good" condition might go for.

You might want to check several sourses. E Guitars in San Rafeal California or Elderly Instuments in New York.Shoot you may even try talking to G&L see who the recomend. They are good people who whork there. Elderly sold a 1985 black Broadcaster for $2,000.

lemon tree

anyone has the guitar score for lemon tree by fool's garden / tarcy su?

1937 Martin 00-17

Can someone tell me the approximate value of a 1937 Martin 00-17, in very good condition? Also, a 1969 Gibson Hummingbird acoustic.

Re: 1937 Martin 00-17

my grandfather has a 37 martin in VERY good condition and it is worth about 23K.....

Re: 1937 Martin 00-17

Just saw one on "Antiques Roadshow" appraise for $12,000

1997 Mint Fender Roadhouse Strat

1997 Mint Fender Roadhouse Strat

This popular thread has been given its own page : 1997 Mint Fender Roadhouse Strat

Boring Question

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help me date and place my Epi LP Standard. The serial no. is S6047642.

Boring I know, but any info would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Pete

Washburn "Force 2" electric

Sweet little guitar, very fast action, hot electronics, excellent shape, serial number is 834460. Any idea of its value, and history?

Thanks

Prasanna/Victor Wooten duo concert Sept 13, 2003

Indian classical/Jazz guitarist Prasanna (http://www.guitarprasanna.com) and bass great Victor Wooten will perform a duo concert at Smithwick Theater, Los Altos Hills, California. For more info on this and to buy tix etc, please visit http://www.ashanet.org/siliconvalley/events/fusion_concert/

Needing drawings

I need technical drawings for original Fender stratocaster. Can you help? Send email or something..?..

Re: Needing drawings

Im a draftsman and a guitar player, could I help you?
john

: I need technical drawings for original Fender stratocaster. Can you help? Send email or something..?..

Advice on Gibson Electric Guitars

I'm seeking advice about purchasing a guitar for my 16 year old nephew.My nephew is an advanced guitar player.He currently play a B.C Rich Warlock(Bronze)series.He's been thinking of getting another guitar.He wants to get a Gibson and is firm on it.Since ,his birthday is coming up I decided that as a birthday present I was going to get him a Gibson. I'm looking for a Gibson that is reasonably priced.I'm willing to pay between $500-$800 dollars.I'm looking for one that has a super fat tone,that is aggressive for maximum metal playing and has great humbucker pickups.
I would really appreciate your advice and whatever information you could provide me with.

Thank You Very Much.
Sincerely,Kamila

Re: Advice on Gibson Electric Guitars

Go with a Gothic Les Paul. You might have to go Epiphone though. The Gibsons might be out of your price range. But check them out. I think they will work best for what you're wanting to do.

Chords and Lyrics.

HI. I'm looking for a website that has songs along with chords for my band. Mostly Christian Rock stuff. But any website you can give will. be great. e-mail me please. Any help i'll appreciate. thanx

Re: Chords and Lyrics.

: HI. I'm looking for a website that has songs along with chords for my band. Mostly Christian Rock stuff. But any website you can give will. be great. e-mail me please. Any help i'll appreciate. thanx

hey im looking for some lirics and chords and some drum stuff too if you could mostly punk rock and some hardcore stuff
thanks

: hey im looking for some lirics and chords for elctric guitars and bass guitars and some drum stuff too if you could mostly punk rock and some hardcore stuff
: thanks

: HI. I'm looking for lyrics of maybe by neo colors with chords . But any lyrics of neo colors you can give will. be great. e-mail me please. Any help i'll appreciate. thanx

Keyboard chords

helow! i'm russell! please send me the lyrics and chords of maybe by neo colors. please... thanx! i rily need your help!

Re: Keyboard chords

: helow! i'm jenny! please send me the lyrics and keyboard chords of maybe by neo colors. please... thanx! i rily need your help! i need it pls....

Hi!! I'm looking for the Lyrics Of Maybe by neo colors...

: hi peepz!
itz meh nicole, if you want the ringtone of maybe jaz give me a ring and i'll tell u how to get a tone of that! see yah!
09207630039!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.