Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - November, 2003

Archive for posts from November, 2003

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Depends on the tone you want.

: If you're looking for a highly overdriven, rock and roll type tone, I wouldn't look at a Fender. They're better suited for high volume, low gain stuff.....think modern blues. In that price range, I'd actually look for a Behringer amp, they make one for about $140-150 that has a great overdrive channel and amp modeling. Not sure of the model number. You could also look at Peavey, their lower-end stuff is pretty good. And don't rule out Marshall, either.

I hate to contradict Leo, but I'd stay away from Behringer. I purchased a Behringer amp. Had to be shipped to NYC for repair (at my expense) after just 4 months of practice use. Their customer service in the USA is not very good. Fenders, Peavey's & Marshalls are all good choices. If you go solid state, get at least 50 watts. If you go with a tube amp, get at least 25 watt (with the exception of the Fender Blues Junior which is only 15 watts). Also get reverb.

Re: fender amps

There is no way you could be disapointed with a Fender balckface amp. It's just too much quality. Don't by a Peavey, it's reliable but you cant compare. Can't tell about Berhinger, but I prefer tube amps. For high overdrive go for Mesa or Marshal. There are others very good amps but expensive like Hughes & Kettener, Vox, Soldano, Bad Cat, etc.

: i have been playing guitar for a couple of months and i am intrested in buying an electric guitar and amp. I already know what kind of guitar but not amp . I want a fender amp but i dont know wich one is 1. better,2 worth the money. I either want a frontman 25r or a fm series 65r. if someone could give me some guidance it would be awesome!

: thanks, Andrew

The first amp i bought was the Frontman 38 watt. It is an excellent practice amp and is very reliable.

: i have been playing guitar for a couple of months and i am intrested in buying an electric guitar and amp. I already know what kind of guitar but not amp . I want a fender amp but i dont know wich one is 1. better,2 worth the money. I either want a frontman 25r or a fm series 65r. if someone could give me some guidance it would be awesome!

I HAVE A FENDER PRINCETON 65 IT IS A VERY GOOD AMP, DEPENDING ON WHERE YOU WILL BE PLAYING, IF YOU WANT OT PLAY AT HOME OR SMALL CLUBS THIS WILL WORK FINE FOR EITHER. HAS GREAT TONE AND GOOD VOLUME AND PRICED AT ABOUT $300.

Fender Pro Jr. less than $300.00
Fender Blues Jr less than $400.00
Great tube amps Fender Sound
Keep strummin,
Leo
Oh, I have the Blues JR

why cant

why cant i see route101 guitar page it wont work and i really need to make a custom guitar online and have it shiped to me can anyone help me email me or IM me on aol or AIM at "paintballergrant"

Re: why cant

DONT DO IT ONLINE (THAT WOULD COMPARE TO CYBER SEX)
FIND A RELIABLE LUTHIER AND YOU WILL HAVE A HANDS ON
EXPERIENCE AS THE PROJECT PROGRESSES.

: why cant i see route101 guitar page it wont work and i really need to make a custom guitar online and have it shiped to me can anyone help me email me or IM me on aol or AIM at "paintballergrant"

What's the best weight strings for tone?

How much tone do I lose with light vs. medium strings
on my acoustic. My fingers are killing me and my
playing isn't clean enough for recording.

Tony

Re: What's the best weight strings for tone?

Hello Tony,

Acoustic guitars can be very sensitive to the 'weight' of
the strings you use.

Firstly, do not use strings heavier than the guitar was
designed for or you'll warp the neck and the guitar will
become useless. If you're not sure then tell your local
shop what the model and make is next time you go to buy
strings.

Other than that the weight you chose is a matter of taste
so try a couple of alternatives and see what the best
combination of feel and tone is for you.

Remember, you listen to your playing more than anyone else
so your set-up should be the way you like it.

Cheers,
Jason.

: How much tone do I lose with light vs. medium strings
: on my acoustic. My fingers are killing me and my
: playing isn't clean enough for recording.

: Tony

i had this dilema for years, until i found out that my idol - jimmy page - goes as light as possible. i tried this, using extremely light strings on my acoustic and i have never looked back since!

Use the strings that are most comfortable for you, experiment with different strings and you will find a set that gives you the 'tone' you seek, heavier strings will beef up the tone some but if you aren't playing clean then all the 'tone' in the world isn't gonna make you sound good, also after awhile whith lighter strings as your hands get stronger work your way up to heavier strings incrementally (if it turns out that is the only way to get the tone you are seeking).

angus young rules

ac/dc rocks and angus is the best guitarist today!!

westone guitars

im considering buying a westone concord 1 second hand. (v. sexy, looks quite old, black and white, nice.)anyone got any advice? is £80 good?

Re: westone guitars

lo

Have a look here for the spec -->

http://www.therathole.org/guitars/models/westone/catalogs/westone_catalogs.html

It was £115 new in 1983/84. Should be a pretty good instrument and a good investment (Matsumoku made guitars are on the up).

bye

: im considering buying a westone concord 1 second hand. (v. sexy, looks quite old, black and white, nice.)anyone got any advice? is £80 good?

cortez guitars

Are Acoustical cortez guitars any good? Anyone?

Re: cortez guitars

: Are Acoustical cortez guitars any good? Anyone?

I'd say so. I got one in 1980 when I went off to school. It has a full, rich tone, it's easy to play even if it is big, and it's the drop-dead favorite of all my guitars.

Mokey (its name) has been through the wars with me and has stood up to it beautifully. It has NEVER broken or anything. All of its parts are original--no replacements. If the Cortez is still as good as mine, grab it!

Sheila

: Are Acoustical cortez guitars any good? Anyone?

I summited the question and now I'm answering it!!
Cortez, are very very good guitars!!!!!!!!!

Hey, just found this board, I was doing research on my Cortez J-200 Jumbo body acoustic that I purchased in 1976 for I believe $360 w/case. I have only seen one other Cortez guitar since then. This guitar gets better with age, and like someone else said...would not trade it for anything. This guitar looks just like a Gibson, and I am very sure that the Cortez was the low end Gibson model, sort of like a Fender Squire. But I have heard recently, that these guitars, although made in Japan are equal to if not better then the Gibson's...but maybe I am a bit bias. I have played many Gibson acoustic and would put my Cortez up against any of them.....Hope this answers your question. I have had a pickup put in, and I have had to have some frets replaced, and I put new grover tuners on this baby....but it is a beauty.....

Need help with identifying humbucker on a ES-335!

Hi!

I have a Gibson ES-335 on which someone erased the original numbers so I can't find out the exact manufacturing year. In a guitarshop they said it was probably late 60's, early 70's.
Now i tried to look at the humbuckers to find out more but the only thing that i saw was the numbers 2,737,842. Afters some research on Internet I know they are Gibson PAF's but on some sites they say there is a year inscription too, but I can't find any. Were there any years they made them without yearstamping?

Re: Need help with identifying humbucker on a ES-335!

I looked at the black plastic thing surroundning the humbucker (don't know what it's called in english)and it had the numbers M-69 and MR491. Maybe the guitar was made 1969 then?

Tom Delonge´s new guitar?

I found out the fender tom delonge strat is being discontinued. What kind of guitar does tom play know? I'm currently in Mexico, does anyone recomend I get a tom delonge strat (since I can still find the model over here).

Depends on what you like.

Personally, I like it for the simplicity. One pickup, one knob, very little wiring. If you play the guitar, and like it, then buy it. Don't just get it because of the artist who used it.

Tom is playing a signature model Gibson ES-333, which I understand will be released in the spring as the ES-333TD model.

Re: Depends on what you like.

I own this guitar (the signature strat) and as much as I enjoy playing it, it's really a one dimensional guitar. When I purchased it, I was into playing mostly punk stuff, which sounds great on this strat.

But if you play a wide range of music, like I do now, I'd rather have invested in a standard strat (so I could have 3 different pickups with 3 different sounds).

Good luck in your search

Re: Depends on what you like.

yeah it's great, but will it be affordable?(meaning not 1000 bucks!!) and if not, will they make an epiphone? i have a relative that works for Gibson USA and he says that he isnt sure how much it will be sold for, and he doubts they will make an epiphone...does anyone else have any more info?

Re: Tom Delonge´s new guitar?

i got my tom delonge fender signed by blink 182 yesterday if u wanna see it email me and ill email u the pic of my guitar. :)

you went to the album signing at best buy huh? sweet... hey, how much for the guitar? email me. i need a new guitar when i get back home becuase i cant bring back the one i have. email me boardfreaked@hotmail.com

: I found out the fender tom delonge strat is being discontinued. What kind of guitar does tom play know? I'm currently in Mexico, does anyone recomend I get a tom delonge strat (since I can still find the model over here). They make a squeir tom delonge guitar but they suck ass

I know about Toms new guitar

I know what kind of guitar tom now plays.....Its a Gibson guitar. Its basicly stripped down ES-333 with a Gibson Dirty Fingers pickup at the bridge no neck pickup (i think their isnt one but there is some kind of plate there in its place). It still only have one knob, a volume. The one i saw was brown color w/ creme strip across the center. Its very nice....check it out at
http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/classic/tomdelonge.html

: I found out the fender tom delonge strat is being discontinued. What kind of guitar does tom play know? I'm currently in Mexico, does anyone recomend I get a tom delonge strat (since I can still find the model over here).

: : I found out the fender tom delonge strat is being discontinued. What kind of guitar does tom play know? I'm currently in Mexico, does anyone recomend I get a tom delonge strat (since I can still find the model over here).

he has a gibson hollow body with a race car stripe on it

His new guitar is nasty . at first i didnt liek it but its pretty much liek his ols signature but a different sound. im getting it when i find out when it hits stores

His new guitar is nasty . at first i didnt liek it but its pretty much liek his ols signature but a different sound. im getting it when i find out when it hits stores

Do anyone know what kinda guitar tom plays in the obvious aol session vdieo?...plz email me if you know!! my email is pennywisefreak@hotmail.com

pick ups on DeArmond x-155

Some time ago there was this story on the web about how to change the Gold Tone pick ups on a DeArmond x-155 into single coils. They could even be swiched single/double coil by replacing the pots by push pull ones. Does anybody know where I can find that story?

Thanks,

Bas

Re: pick ups on DeArmond x-155

Coil tap. The wires are there.

: Some time ago there was this story on the web about how to change the Gold Tone pick ups on a DeArmond x-155 into single coils. They could even be swiched single/double coil by replacing the pots by push pull ones. Does anybody know where I can find that story?

: Thanks,

: Bas

alternate picking

question,

i have no problem with alternate pciking on a single string, and i've always thought i alternately picked every note when i practiced scales. but after slowing down my motions after reading a book on lead, i noticed that sometimes when picking to the next string i will pick in the same direction. it seems this would be ok and actually save time/effort and maximize speed but the book statesthat even when crossing strings you should still alternately pick. I'm wondering why, and if everyone agrees, mostly because it would be such a pain in the ass to go back and unlearn my scales and relearn the real alternate picking.

Re: alternate picking

one more thing,

for the most part it is more than 90% alternate, its just that i cheat sometimes on the way back down from scales, e.g going from the third string with an upstroke, and starting on the 4th string with an upstroke. it just seems easier when i'm going pretty fast. how big of a problem is this???? thanks

not a problem at all, the exercises probally just stress it while changing strings for consistiency but in real playing sometimes you need multiple down/upstrokes or strict alternate picking so it all depends on what you are playing and after awhile your hand just does the right thing without much thinking, maybe get used to scales with strict alternate picking just for the hell of it, learning/adapting is what it's all about.

: one more thing,

: for the most part it is more than 90% alternate, its just that i cheat sometimes on the way back down from scales, e.g going from the third string with an upstroke, and starting on the 4th string with an upstroke. it just seems easier when i'm going pretty fast. how big of a problem is this???? thanks

Usually, alternate picking is required when performing fast 3 or 6-note-per-string runs and the like, but if it feels natural to do wha you do, it's probably not worth changing your style.

roland gp 16 manual

anyone out there have a manual for a roland gp 16 or know where i can down load one?

Re: roland gp 16 manual

: anyone out there have a manual for a roland gp 16 or know where i can down load one?

I want to know how much cost the roland gp 16

: I want to know how much cost the roland gp 16

http://hometown.aol.com/route66studios/manualsR.html

: : I want to know how much cost the roland gp 16

: http://hometown.aol.com/route66studios/manualsR.html

I tried to email that site asking for the condition and the price of the manual only to have AOL bounce it back to me because they broke the terms of service or some crap :(

I am searching every possible lead I can find and I am coming up with dead links myself.

Roland GP16 manual in stock at Route 66

We have the Roland GP16 manuals in stock at www.Route66studios.com

: anyone out there have a manual for a roland gp 16 or know where i can down load one?

OK, I have been in contact with Roland and you can buy a photocopied version of the manual.

I recieved mine yesterday, but they sent it to me in the WRONG LANGUGE (I live in Holland and I requested an English version) but I called them up today and they said they will express me the right version.

I don't have a scanner or access to one or I would be willing to help everybody out here. Sorry.

I'm also intressted in such a manual
did you find already one?

: : anyone out there have a manual for a roland gp 16 or know where i can down load one?

: OK, I have been in contact with Roland and you can buy a photocopied version of the manual.

: I recieved mine yesterday, but they sent it to me in the WRONG LANGUGE (I live in Holland and I requested an English version) but I called them up today and they said they will express me the right version.

: I don't have a scanner or access to one or I would be willing to help everybody out here. Sorry.

vintage Kalamazoo f-hole guitar

tring to find out some info and value on an old kalamazoo arch top guitar.I can find no numbers on it It has perflin front and back of body.If anyone can help mail me and I can send pic...Thanks Dave

Re: vintage Kalamazoo f-hole guitar

Try to contact someone on Heritage guitar Inc. (http://www.heritageguitar.com/)
They make these wonderful Heritage guitars (I have one). They're located in Kalamazoo. Maybe they can help you.
: tring to find out some info and value on an old kalamazoo arch top guitar.I can find no numbers on it It has perflin front and back of body.If anyone can help mail me and I can send pic...Thanks Dave

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2021 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.