Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - November, 2003

Archive for posts from November, 2003

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Heritage Guitars

: I was wondering if anyone nows any information about the company, the guitars they produce or any feedback from anyone who owns one.

===================================================
Matt

This company produces great guitars. The owners and builders use to be Gibson employees in the Kalamazoo, MI plant but when Gibson decided to shut down the plant in the early 80's and move manufacturing to Nashville these people didn't want to go. So they purchased the old plant and started this company.

They make a sweet Les Paul style that is better made then the Gibson version. I just purchased one for $1500.00 and the comparable Gibson was $2300.00. Great deal for an awesum guitar.

They also make a 335 copy that is better than the original and I will be buying one of these soon. Great
company and great product. If you have the chance to buy one then seriously consider it as a great investment.

Michael

Sihouette Bass Wiring Diagram Needed...

Hey all,

I need a Music Man (not OLP) Sihouette Bass wiring diagram sent my way with the necessary parts list. If any of you have this, please help.

Thanks!

Kris

Re: Sihouette Bass Wiring Diagram Needed...

: Hey all,

: I need a ibanez roadstar2 bass wiring diagram.
Thanks for your help
Stefan

Tremolo speeds

In pulsations per minute or Hertz, what, approximately, were the three tremolo speeds on an old Vox?

Yamaha electro-acoustic question

Yamaha guitar AXP-4A Hi, first time here. when the red battery light is not lit does that mean all is well or does it mean the battery is dead. Also does anyone know where I can download the handbook for the guitar. Thanks for yr time. Slowman

pickup problem

i have bought an old avon les paul copy.but the bridge pickup is realy quiet, i have renewed and rewired the toggle switch,but still the same.i then wired a replacement pickup that i know is ok, but still it is quiet. can anyone please help me.

dot on gibson logo

i've bought a 90 les paul standard that has no dot on the logo. anybody knows why? thanks.

maybe scratched off....

: i've bought a 90 les paul standard that has no dot on the logo. anybody knows why? thanks.

Re: dot on gibson logo

: i've bought a 90 les paul standard that has no dot on the logo. anybody knows why? thanks.

I have a 69 les paul and it doesn't have one either I think just some years did and some years didn't

hindi songs

i want to hindi songs free download

P Bass Pickups

I have a 67 P Bass. Plays sweet but sounds horrible. Any suggestions on new electronics? Active vs standard? It is all original and I dont want to alter looks if possible. Thanks!

Eagle brand strings

I have found a display case and strings from the Fred. Gretsch MFG. Co. and would like to know more about them. I have strings for mandolin, banjo, violin(gut)and the prices on the boxes are 10 cents, 15 cents, and 25 cents. if there is enyone that can give me eny info on these it would be greatly help thank you.

WHAMMY BAR

I bought an ibanez rg170 its my 1st electric, how do you use a whammy bar how do you put it in and what is it for?

Re: WHAMMY BAR

i've got a Ibanez RG 570 (great guitar btw)
The Whammy Bar on my Ibanez can just be inserted in the saddle (where the strings go in) . It's possible you need to screw your's in . Mine is just with some sort of click system. pushing the whammy bar up and down very fast gives you a vibrato like sound cause your applying more or less tension on the strings. You can do some pretty cool stuff with it it (like a dive bomb or so...)Anywaa look on Steve Vai's Site (look it up via Yahoo , google...) ,he has got some tricks you can do with a whammy bar (or tremolo). Hope this was helpfull

How can I make my guitar playing more exciting/new?

Recently, I don't know what to play on my guitar, I haven't been able to think up anything either (I guess like a writers block). I taught myself, so I don't have anyone to give me anything to work on or practice. Does anyone know what I can do to make my guitar playing a bit more exciting? I'd appreciate it a whole lot! :D

-kristen

Re: How can I make my guitar playing more exciting/new?

: Recently, I don't know what to play on my guitar, I haven't been able to think up anything either (I guess like a writers block). I taught myself, so I don't have anyone to give me anything to work on or practice. Does anyone know what I can do to make my guitar playing a bit more exciting? I'd appreciate it a whole lot! :D

: -kristen

: : Recently, I don't know what to play on my guitar, I haven't been able to think up anything either (I guess like a writers block). I taught myself, so I don't have anyone to give me anything to work on or practice. Does anyone know what I can do to make my guitar playing a bit more exciting? I'd appreciate it a whole lot! :D

: : -kristen

wholenote.com is a great site with a ton of lessons and tons of nice people who will help you out

just stay away from satan's toilet -> GUITAR.COM
because they will treat you like dirt!

kirsten! you can try down loading some tab or chords
to your favourite songs/artists, by looking at the online guitar archive. just go on any search engine,
(google is quite good), and type in olga,click on this
and you,ll see wot i mean. hope this helps. ps sorry
for sending your question in my name, i'm a bit crap with these things

: kirsten! you can try down loading some tab or chords
: to your favourite songs/artists, by looking at the online guitar archive. just go on any search engine,
: (google is quite good), and type in olga,click on this
: and you,ll see wot i mean. hope this helps. ps sorry
: for sending your question in my name, i'm a bit crap with these things

Listen to more, varied types of music. Learn to play different styles (ie if you listen to and play only metal, learn to play funk guitar, or country etc).

By taking on different influences and styles of playing, you'll open up all sorts of new possibilites and ideas for your own playing.

songs

pls send

Re: songs

If I understand the question right... try www.tabrobot.com

Help! Repair old or buy new?

Hello everyone,

I'm a first time poster to this forum and I hope someone can give me some advice.

I used to play a lot of guitar in my youth (bass in a band but also some electric and steel acoustic), and I recently started again after a break of almost 20 years... and realized how much I've missed it.

But during the years time has taken its toll on my old guitars and they need renovation/repairs and I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if I might as well just get a new one.

I have two guitars that needs repairs, one acoustic steel and one el. hollow. And here are the problem with them.

(1) Acoustic steel
Info on headstock:
ZUZUKI THREE'S
EST.1887
Label inside body:
ZUZUKI GUITARS
NO W-300
ZUZUKI VIOLIN CO. LTD.
NAGOYA JAPAN

This guitar is in pretty good shape but it needs new tuners, nut, bridge and string bolts. But it doesn't seem to carry the tones as well as it used to. For example, when tuning it on the 5th fret, it doesn't sound right when playing notes further down the neck (12 fret) and vice-versa. Can that be fixed? I have been quoted $250 by a music store to completely renovate this guitar. Is it worth it?

(2) El. Hollow
The only information on this one is ingraved on the body (above the 17-18 fret) where it says:
HELIOS STANDARD
JOHN G. HELLAND
MUSIKKHANDEL
SKIEN, NORWAY

This guitar was given to me by my uncle who used it during his teenage days (must have been the sixties).
It will need a lot of work to fix it up. New tuners, nut, frets, bridge and probably all the electronics. I don't have quote of what it will cost to restore this guitar, but it has some sentimental value to me so I'd be willing to invest a few bucks in getting it back in shape.

If someone could give me some advice as to whether it's worth to repair these, I would I would greatly appreaciate any comments you might have.

Best regards,
Goggen

Help! Repair old or buy new?

Hello everyone,

I'm a first time poster to this forum and I hope someone can give me some advice.

I used to play a lot of guitar in my youth (bass in a band but also some electric and steel acoustic), and I recently started again after a break of almost 20 years... and realized how much I've missed it.

But during the years time has taken its toll on my old guitars and they need renovation/repairs and I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if I might as well just get a new one.

I have two guitars that needs repairs, one acoustic steel and one el. hollow. And here are the problem with them.

(1) Acoustic steel
Info on headstock:
ZUZUKI THREE'S
EST.1887
Label inside body:
ZUZUKI GUITARS
NO W-300
ZUZUKI VIOLIN CO. LTD.
NAGOYA JAPAN

This guitar is in pretty good shape but it needs new tuners, nut, bridge and string bolts. But it doesn't seem to carry the tones as well as it used to. For example, when tuning it on the 5th fret, it doesn't sound right when playing notes further down the neck (12 fret) and vice-versa. Can that be fixed? I have been quoted $250 by a music store to completely renovate this guitar. Is it worth it?

(2) El. Hollow
The only information on this one is ingraved on the body (above the 17-18 fret) where it says:
HELIOS STANDARD
JOHN G. HELLAND
MUSIKKHANDEL
SKIEN, NORWAY

This guitar was given to me by my uncle who used it during his teenage days (must have been the sixties).
It will need a lot of work to fix it up. New tuners, nut, frets, bridge and probably all the electronics. I don't have quote of what it will cost to restore this guitar, but it has some sentimental value to me so I'd be willing to invest a few bucks in getting it back in shape.

If someone could give me some advice as to whether it's worth to repair these, I would I would greatly appreaciate any comments you might have.

Best regards,
Goggen

Re: Help! Repair old or buy new?

: Hello everyone,

: I'm a first time poster to this forum and I hope someone can give me some advice.

: I used to play a lot of guitar in my youth (bass in a band but also some electric and steel acoustic), and I recently started again after a break of almost 20 years... and realized how much I've missed it.

: But during the years time has taken its toll on my old guitars and they need renovation/repairs and I'm wondering if it's worth it, or if I might as well just get a new one.

: I have two guitars that needs repairs, one acoustic steel and one el. hollow. And here are the problem with them.

: (1) Acoustic steel
: Info on headstock:
: ZUZUKI THREE'S
: EST.1887
: Label inside body:
: ZUZUKI GUITARS
: NO W-300
: ZUZUKI VIOLIN CO. LTD.
: NAGOYA JAPAN

: This guitar is in pretty good shape but it needs new tuners, nut, bridge and string bolts. But it doesn't seem to carry the tones as well as it used to. For example, when tuning it on the 5th fret, it doesn't sound right when playing notes further down the neck (12 fret) and vice-versa. Can that be fixed? I have been quoted $250 by a music store to completely renovate this guitar. Is it worth it?

: (2) El. Hollow
: The only information on this one is ingraved on the body (above the 17-18 fret) where it says:
: HELIOS STANDARD
: JOHN G. HELLAND
: MUSIKKHANDEL
: SKIEN, NORWAY

: This guitar was given to me by my uncle who used it during his teenage days (must have been the sixties).
: It will need a lot of work to fix it up. New tuners, nut, frets, bridge and probably all the electronics. I don't have quote of what it will cost to restore this guitar, but it has some sentimental value to me so I'd be willing to invest a few bucks in getting it back in shape.

: If someone could give me some advice as to whether it's worth to repair these, I would I would greatly appreaciate any comments you might have.

: Best regards,
: Goggen

If you can repair them yourself, do it. The older guitars are much better than a new one. If you have to pay somone else, then you might want to sell them on Ebay and look for 2 more in good shape. It's not that hard to change tuners and such, just take your time and find good deals on parts on Ebay.. Good luck..

how do i reset the korg pandora px1 to factory settings?

Hi
A while ago I bought a secondhand PX1 effects unit, but it came without a manual. Already found out how to work it, but I really would want to reset it to it's original factory presets. Anyone got a clue please?

Re: how do i reset the korg pandora px1 to factory settings?

here you go guys
just found it...

http://www.korgnorthwest.com/KORG_Resets.htm

scroll down to px1

: Hi
: A while ago I bought a secondhand PX1 effects unit, but it came without a manual. Already found out how to work it, but I really would want to reset it to it's original factory presets. Anyone got a clue please?

Custom Pickguards for Yamaha RGX-121s

I need a stainless steel pick guard for my yamaha rgx 121s. Can anyone tell me where i might be able to find one, or a place where they can cut one to size?
If not does anyone know a stockist of Ibanez pickguards or any other strat copies that have a 2-1-2 pickup formation.
Thank You

yamaha

i need a yamaha pick guard for my yamaha electric guitar that i got from sams. i think the # is EG112-2. at least thats what it sais on the box. sorry bout the infromation but im a beginner.

Hollow (semi hollow) body vs hallow (semi-hallow)

Just wonder, if "hollow body" and "hallow body" notions are interchangeable and mean the same speaking about guitars? I've noticed many folks are using both talking about one and the same instrument?

thanks, ed.

Re: Hollow (semi hollow) body vs hallow (semi-hallow)

They are 2 distinct types of guitars, alot of people don't know what they are talking about anyways so they just use the terms interchangably.

: Just wonder, if "hollow body" and "hallow body" notions are interchangeable and mean the same speaking about guitars? I've noticed many folks are using both talking about one and the same instrument?

: thanks, ed.

Re: Hollow (semi hollow) body vs hallow (semi-hallow)

hollow bodies are actually hollow (like an acoustic), and
semi-hollow's have a wood block that goes down the center
and then their hollow on both sides of that

pickups

i recently had to take my guitar apart t c why i wasnt gettin any noise, and discovered thatthe wires hd snapped!!!! now its fixed, i cant put the pickups bak properly, do th springs go under or on top of the pickups that r in the guitar??

identify stella

I just bought a stella for 10 dollars and i cant date it.
serial number is stamped inside 6790H604
If anyone knows or can tell me how to find out when it was made lemme know please cause i cant figure it out.

Amp Metal Settings

Hello there , i am a beginning guitar player and i was wondering if someone can help me to get a good metal sound out of my amp. I'm aiming for a Metal sound with not to much Distortion , you know like 80's Thrash Metal leads , that stuff (something like the solo's on Electric Crown -Testament or the sound in the Passage to The Reaper-Alexi Laiho from Children of bodom video sound)Or a sound like Annihilator ...
I've got a Randall RG75 AMP, a Boss V-Wah and a DOD Death Metal Distortion pedal (maybe not the best choice ok but...:) )
Can someone help me on how to set the knobs?
I would be very thankfull!
--Xeper from Belgium

Re: Amp Metal Settings

take a metal zone motherfucker!!!

death metal from DOD is for death metal!!!!sucker

cool it jerk , i got the DOD as a present okay ?
and it makes a sound like a rusted chainsaw that's hacking a cat to pieces , lots a fuzz going on ,it's a piece of crap

Buy a tube amp, get a guitar with EMG's, don't scoop your mids (or no one will hear your ass), crank the mother fucker, and send your metal up the masses asses.

TAKE OUT THE MIDS AND A TOUCH OF BASS

how can i paint a guitar on my own?

I have very little money, and im a beginner, so im going to get a squir affinity strat. so i found this version o it that is suppose to be better at musiciansfriend.com, but i don't like the colors how can i paint it on my own?

Re: how can i paint a guitar on my own?

unless you have a spraybooth and training in finishing, don't

Re: how can i paint a guitar on my own?

go to paintyourownguitar.com and buy the book.

-->AMP FRIED<-- HELP!!!!

alright check it out. i have a peavey stereo chorus 212 w/ the scorpion spkrs. my amp was messing up (kicking on and off and stuff) so i checked the fuses, the fuses were white, like they were getting ready to blow, so i got new ones (3 total) and put them in, as soon as i turned the power on *sizzle, sizzle* and fire shot up at me! after looking around, i noticed that what fried was this chip. i don't know what it is called but that is where you guys come in. this chip is square. and it has a nut holding it on. there is a total of like 3 or 4 (sorry, i put it together and can't remember how many. more than 2) what i want to know is, what are those? can i replace them? how much do they cost??? ANY help is appreciated. L8TR H8TR

Re: -->AMP FRIED<-- HELP!!!!

first of all tge description is quite vague (all chips are square) I doubt you can find a sole chip in the store. I suggest using the waranty and get your amp to the store (btw did you use fuses with thesame ampère? if not you can expect flames bursting out off it :) )
ask them if they canrepair it . But if you ask me , i think that's gonna cost you a fortune (in comparison to buying a new amp)

Thnx guys

I guess i could have gave more of a description but i didn't. i think i am just going to say F*** it and get another one. or maybe i will just find another one w/ out any spkrs and use the circuit board from it or something ... know where any is?!? THNX AGAIN

Re: -->AMP FRIED<-- HELP!!!!

IC's or regulators (if it has a screw), could be lot's of things, the 'chips' will have a manafacturers name/symbol on it and a part #, with these things you can look it up/cross reference it for replacement, but chances are other parts of the circuit are fried too, if you aren't used to doing this type of work get it to someone who is as you will probally not be able to fix it yourself so save the time, money and frustration trying.

: alright check it out. i have a peavey stereo chorus 212 w/ the scorpion spkrs. my amp was messing up (kicking on and off and stuff) so i checked the fuses, the fuses were white, like they were getting ready to blow, so i got new ones (3 total) and put them in, as soon as i turned the power on *sizzle, sizzle* and fire shot up at me! after looking around, i noticed that what fried was this chip. i don't know what it is called but that is where you guys come in. this chip is square. and it has a nut holding it on. there is a total of like 3 or 4 (sorry, i put it together and can't remember how many. more than 2) what i want to know is, what are those? can i replace them? how much do they cost??? ANY help is appreciated. L8TR H8TR

Fender Serial Number Question

I just purchased a used Fender Strat MIM, serial number MN661636. Most Standard Strats have the serial number on the front side of the head under the Fender logo. This one has the serial number on the back side of the head near the top. Is there any signifigance? Could this be a 62 reuissue or something?

Re: Fender Serial Number Question

Go to fender site for s/n's or TDPRI.COM strat forum

: I just purchased a used Fender Strat MIM, serial number MN661636. Most Standard Strats have the serial number on the front side of the head under the Fender logo. This one has the serial number on the back side of the head near the top. Is there any signifigance? Could this be a 62 reuissue or something?

: I just purchased a used Fender Strat MIM, serial number MN661636. Most Standard Strats have the serial number on the front side of the head under the Fender logo. This one has the serial number on the back side of the head near the top. Is there any signifigance? Could this be a 62 reuissue or something?
-The serial numbers for fender strat that begin with MN means that it was made in Mexico. the MN6 indicates that it was manufactured in 1996-97.

hey, if you have found any info on this let me know. i think i might have one like it.

MSN610886

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.