Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - December, 2003

Archive for posts from December, 2003

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Need help on bass pots...

: i have an old fender pbass and i need to replace both of the pots on it. somebody told me that guitar pots and bass pots are the same, the 250ks and the 500ks. does a c<a href='http://www.geocities.com/bacila123'>e</a>rtain one work for tone, and one work for volume? could you please help me out here?

Re: Need help on bass pots...

Well you will have to do some research on your pickups to find out wich type of pot you need in specific. As far as them being the same for bass and guitar the ansewer is yes. The difference is the ohms, the 250k-ohm is more sutible for singlecoil pickups and the 500k-ohm is better for dualcoil pickups (humbuckers).

unknown serial number

i have an epiphone les paul and the serial number reads U 6121758. i can find out the year it was made because it does not match any of the serial numbers on the gibson web site.

WEM Copicat

I am looking for a reliable place to have my WEM Copicat repaired. It is a tube/valve model, not solid state. If anyone has any info that could help me, I would greatly appreciate the help!!!!

Re: WEM Copicat

Try the WEM website www.wemwatkins.co.uk

Bent neck

I recently bought a Jay TUrser Les Paul copy. I realized that the neck of the guitar is not at a straight angle from where it's attached to the body of the guitar. It seems that the reason it's like that is to have the strings lay on the fret board at normal distance. Is this normal, or is it a defect? Thanks.

Re: Bent neck

: I recently bought a Jay TUrser Les Paul copy. I realized that the neck of the guitar is not at a straight angle from where it's attached to the body of the guitar. It seems that the reason it's like that is to have the strings lay on the fret board at normal distance. Is this normal, or is it a defect? Thanks.

I don't really know this guitar, but some do have what appear to be bent necks to make the action of the guitar as low as possible.

Bridge pickup for Epiphone EB-0

Hi, I'm new here;
Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of pickup and method to install a bridge pickup on an Epiphone EB-0? Would a jazz-bass pickup work well? Easier to find than a EB-3 bridge pickup and I bet it would sound great. Will use existing vol & tone pots, add a pickup sw. I can rout holes and do wiring ok.

When you get a chance
Thanks
Michelle

Need help buying a good amp

anybody know what kind of amp works well with a fender jag-stang? i'm really looking for real nirvana sounds and this little piece of crap i have just doesnt cut it

Re: Need help buying a good amp

: anybody know what kind of amp works well with a fender jag-stang? i'm really looking for real nirvana sounds and this little piece of crap i have just doesnt cut it

A good fender tweed amp and a Ds-1 distortion pedal will give you a pretty grungy sound. Hard to come by though, unless u get a re-issue

intervals

what happens to intervals after one octave? Do they stay the same, but with different names? I was confused because I saw a 13th, and figured out that it was the same thing as a m6, but an octave higher, so why isn't it called a m13. Am i right or just completly confused. If anyone could help me out by giving me the ames of the intervals up to 2 octaves i would really appreciate it.

Re: intervals

: what happens to intervals after one octave? Do they stay the same, but with different names? I was confused because I saw a 13th, and figured out that it was the same thing as a m6, but an octave higher, so why isn't it called a m13. Am i right or just completly confused. If anyone could help me out by giving me the ames of the intervals up to 2 octaves i would really appreciate it.

2=9
4=11
6=13

It's like this

1,2(9),3,4(11),5,6(13),7 = major scale

1,2(9),b3,4(11),5,6(13),b7 = dorian

1,b2(b9),b3,4(11),5,b6(b13),b7 = phrygian

1,2(9),3,#4(#11),5,6(13),7 = lydian

1,2(9),3,4(11),5,6(13),b7 = mixolydian

1,2(9),b3,4(11),5,b6(b13),b7 = the minor scale or "aeolian"

1,b2(b9),b3,4(11),b5,b6(b13),b7 = locrian

generally speaking you'd call a 2,4 or 6 (a 9,11, or 13) if they appear above a 7th as extensions of a major 7 chord,minor 7 chord, or dominant 7th chord

: what happens to intervals after one octave? Do they stay the same, but with different names? I was confused because I saw a 13th, and figured out that it was the same thing as a m6, but an octave higher, so why isn't it called a m13. Am i right or just completly confused. If anyone could help me out by giving me the ames of the intervals up to 2 octaves i would really appreciate it.

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13
C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D--E--F--G-A-

: : what happens to intervals after one octave? Do they stay the same, but with different names? I was confused because I saw a 13th, and figured out that it was the same thing as a m6, but an octave higher, so why isn't it called a m13. Am i right or just completly confused. If anyone could help me out by giving me the ames of the intervals up to 2 octaves i would really appreciate it.

: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13
: C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D--E--F--G-A-

that dint work

lets try diss,

(1) C <-Root Note
(2) D
(3) E
(4) F
(5) G
(6) A
(7) B
(8) C <-Octave
(9) D *9th (same as 2nd)
(10)E
(11)F *11th (same as 4th)
(12)G
(13)A *13th (same as 6th)

1969 les paul professional

I recently got a 1969 les paul professional for basically nothing and I was wondering if anyone has any info on these guitars. Iam really curious as too how many were made I know there not worth too much (one just sold for 1100 on ebay) but I think they play awsome a little on the heavy side. also Iam looking for a pickguard for mine its missing I think it was the same pickguard as the personal too

Thanks Dave

Re: 1969 les paul professional

No the Professinal pickguard is all black and one label only. It's a strange guitar made only in 119 pieces. If you want to play it you can use a low impedance cable and a low to high impedance adampter

lyle 12 string humming bird

A friend gave me a old 12 string lyle guitar in perfect shape. It appears to be a perfect copy of the gibson hummingbird guitar but a twelve string. It's a well built guitar with a beautiful pick gaurd like the gibson and the abaloni inlay on the neck and head stock. does anyone know the value of this guitar ? please e-mail me at rollingthick@earthlink.net

MARK IIC+ head (max 2000$)

I'm looking for a MKIIC+ head full loaded options (Eq and SimulClass/Class A)..I'd like to get one with export transformer..(I live in Europe!so i have 220V, but it's not so important)
I offer max 2000$

Reply me soon: bionuker@yahoo.it

rare Jay Turser value

Anyone out there know what a rare JT-137 semi hollow body thinline guitar with a Dragon inlaid neck is worth? I understand this guitar is very rare since production was stopped and most of the original production stock was scrapped due to a PRS lawsuit. If anyone knows some details on the number produced, sold, etc. and what the current value of one is worth I'd appreciate hearing. email me at slow_n_intense@hotmail.com

action

how do you adjust the action on an acoustic guitar by yourself

Epiphone 6730E

Epiphone 6730E

This popular thread has been given its own page : Epiphone 6730E

WEM Copicat needs repair!!!

I need to find a reliable person/shop that can do repair work on a 60's tube/valve WEM Copicat. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Martin Coletti guitars

anyone know anything- What should e paid for one of these guitars

i need advice

hi! i'm thinking of making an acoustic guitar for a school project; I was wondering what advice you could give as to what wood is best to use and how to go about making one. My main concern is the fret board, tuning pegs and attaching the strings. Any help and advice wiil be welcome

Re: i need advice

Buy yourself a very detailed book on the subject. Electric guitars are relatively easy if you purchase a fretted neck. But acoustics have many many more variables involved...and if you screw up even a small detail it can sound really crappy (like if your frets aren't in the exact position and off by a 1/16"). Good luck.

Re: i need advice

You might find some useful information by browsing frets.com and taylorguitars.com.

: hi! i'm thinking of making an acoustic guitar for a school project; I was wondering what advice you could give as to what wood is best to use and how to go about making one. My main concern is the fret board, tuning pegs and attaching the strings. Any help and advice wiil be welcome

Choosing a good guitar for less than $500

Hi, I live in Chile and I need some help. I'm looking for a new guitar, I've been playing for almost 3 years now and I feel like I need a new guitar. My old one isn't satisfying me anymore. I thought you could give me some help on good guitars to choose from, because I'm quite lost... I want to know good guitar brands, and good modelsfor the price I'm looking for.
If it's possible, I prefer the guitar with a tremolo :D
Thanks
Tony

P.S: If anyone wants to send a mail please do it to aiturran@mi.cl

Re: Choosing a good guitar for less than $500

: Hi, I live in Chile and I need some help. I'm looking for a new guitar, I've been playing for almost 3 years now and I feel like I need a new guitar. My old one isn't satisfying me anymore. I thought you could give me some help on good guitars to choose from, because I'm quite lost... I want to know good guitar brands, and good modelsfor the price I'm looking for.
: If it's possible, I prefer the guitar with a tremolo :D
: Thanks
: Tony

: P.S: If anyone wants to send a mail please do it to aiturran@mi.cl ..........first there are alot of gof guitars you can find if you look for under 500 but i just got a brand new fender stratocaster made in mexico theres little difference in a american and mexico but its really up to you and what you like but i would go with a fender stratocaster if this will help you any go to music123.com they got alot of guitars for under 500 le me know if you find anything
josh

Re: Choosing a good guitar for less than $500

: Hi, I live in Chile and I need some help. I'm looking for a new guitar, I've been playing for almost 3 years now and I feel like I need a new guitar. My old one isn't satisfying me anymore. I thought you could give me some help on good guitars to choose from, because I'm quite lost... I want to know good guitar brands, and good modelsfor the price I'm looking for.
: If it's possible, I prefer the guitar with a tremolo :D
: Thanks
: Tony

: P.S: If anyone wants to send a mail please do it to aiturran@mi.cl
is that $500 american? 500 american = 700 canadian

If It's possible to get your hands on a Godin in Chile, go for an sdxt. It's $450 cnd, but easily rivals an $800 fender. (www.godinguitars.com)

download music of isqu visq

sir I want free download of music of isqu visq

Ibanez PT5 FX

Please anybody help me!!!!! I can´t take any good sound frome this thing. I heard lots of players with beautifull tones got from it, but I can´t achieve it, no matter how hard I try. Please!!!!!!!!

Tama Guitar

Tama Guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Tama Guitar

REWIRING BASS GUITAR

I AM PLANNING TO REWIRE MY BASS AND NEED HELP.I AM ADDING A DISTORTION MODULE BUT DON'T WANT TO LOSE THE NORMAL TONE. I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP THE ORIGINAL TONE POT AND ADD ANOTHER TONE POT WITH THE DISTORTION AND ALSO A SWITCH TO GO FROM ONE TO ANOTHER. CAN ANYONE HELP ON HOW TO WIRE THIS UP. ROB

Re: REWIRING BASS GUITAR

Hello, i am also working on rewiring a bass guitar. It is an Aims model from the 70s i believe with a single pickup, a volume and tone knob. I took it apart this morning and redid all the connections i could see, but there are still several wires from the pickup that werent attached to anything and still arent, where should i try attaching them.

Zack

HOW has the demise of MP3.com affected you?

With MP3.com closing down for the time being, how has the whole saga affected musicians?

Have you lost any music? Or had you already stopped using the site after it sold to Universal? What do you think of CNET's handling of the issue?

I'd love to get some feedback on this because the loss of all the content on MP3.com is a real cultural tragedy.

Not at all

Doesn't bother me or affect me one bit.

I never felt the need to steal artist's music and so I never did it.

Re: Not at all

MP3.com wasn't about stealing music, was it?

: Doesn't bother me or affect me one bit.

: I never felt the need to steal artist's music and so I never did it.

ES-345 stereo / mono cable???

I just got a new es-345 and was looking for a stereo to mono cable so I can use with my Fender Cyber Twin amp
Thanks

very rare norma split p\u Barney Kessel design guitar

TO ALL READERS OF THIS MESSAGE I NEED AS MUCH INFO ON THIS PIECE OF MUSIC LEGEND SUCH AS TIME ERA OF PRODUCTION DO HAVE MODEL ID # ALSO HAVE WHAT IS BELIEVED TO BE A PIECE # OR PRODUCTION# I FOUND A CHART DO NOT REMEMBER WHERE BUT IT HAD A PRODUCTION# LIST THE # ON THIS PIECE WAS LOW ENOUGH TO PLACE IT IN THE 1924-1934 TIME FRAME SERIAL OR MODEL#EG 673-2HR PRO OR PIECE#O382 ANY ONE HAVING INFO ON THIS PIECE PLEASE CONTACT ASAP

Re: very rare norma split p\u Barney Kessel design guitar

I think these Barney Kessel guitars date from the early 1960s. Norma was a Japanese brand name, poss made by Kawai/Tiesco. I have a picture of one in a book at home - semi-acoustic, sort of plum coloured?

telestar

I recently bought a telestar and wish to learn more about the company and possibly the guitar's origin. If anyone knows anything about them please contact me.
Thanks

slipknot amp settings

does anyone know how to get ya guiatar sounding so heavy for slipknot song (amp settings)

Re: slipknot amp settings

: does anyone know how to get ya guiatar sounding so heavy for slipknot song (amp settings)

TURN UP EVERYTHING AND TAKE OUT THE MIDS!!

turn GAIN to its fullest.
leave the MID (it's called contour on my amp) out.
put TREBLE like halfway.
turn BASS all the way up.
and no digital efects
(the gain is for awesome pinch harmonics like mic does them on dualty)

Rhythm vs. Lead

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm a beginner. What's the difference between a "lead guitar" and "rhythm guitar." I constantly hear and read about both, but I still haven't been able figured them out.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Rhythm vs. Lead

pretty much a rythym guitarist(s) plays the rythm backround to the lyrics, while lead guitarist plays solos. .

: pretty much a rythym guitarist(s) plays the rythm backround to the lyrics, while lead guitarist plays solos. .

yup, and another way to look at it to start (although not really true) is rythym guitar plays chords, lead plays notes.

: This is probably a stupid question, but I'm a beginner. What's the difference between a "lead guitar" and "rhythm guitar." I constantly hear and read about both, but I still haven't been able figured them out.

: Thanks in advance.

The difference is not really in the guitar itself, but in the way you play it. A lead guitarist plays solos and the rhythm guitarist strums the chords in the background.

sigma g s s 1

Iv’e bought a lovely second hand sigma GCS1 [Korean ,].however ,
The rosewood veneer or dye on the finger board was fading and patchy so I wire
Woolled it off,and oiled it. although the grain is nice,it feels wrong and I’d like to
re-black it.what do they use at the factory, any ideas.many thanks.
Kenny parry,liverpool

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.