Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - January, 2004

Archive for posts from January, 2004

ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ] [ ArchiveJune 2001 ] [ ArchiveMay 2001 ] [ ArchiveApril 2001 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2001 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

strap lock problems

i bought a set of dunlop strap locks and tried to screw in the new screws without drilling (#1 screw up). I screwed forcefully screwed them in and now the hole is too big for the screw. what should i do now? Am i totally f*$#ed? should i buy a bigger screw to fit in the new strap lock buttons that will fit securely in the hole? any help would be appreciated.
The guitar is a gibson sg.

Re: strap lock problems

The old method for fixing this it to pack out the hole with matches to give the screw somthing to grip on to. Try it it might work!

Re: strap lock problems

The best way is too get you a couple toothpicks and some wood glue. Put a dab of glue in the hole first then stick the tooth picks in one at a time and break off the excess. Do this until you fill the hole. Now simply screw your strap locks back in.

Brian Calloway
www.theguitarfiles.com

tele serial number

#MN9123139
im pretty sure this is a mexican made tele, but does anyone know the exact year?
thanks!

Re: tele serial number

It's a mexican 1999, M==>Mexico, N==>Ninety + 9==>9, 123139==>s/n.

: #MN9123139
: im pretty sure this is a mexican made tele, but does anyone know the exact year?
: thanks!

How much is my Hohner ST Scorpion Professional worth?

I'm trying to find out how much my 10 year old Hohner ST Scorpion is worth and I'm not having much luck. Does anyone have any ideas?

Simplicio

To whom it may concern:

Where can I sell my 1929 Francisco Simplicio Acoustic
Guitar?. It is an extraordinay jewel of sound but can't
find a serious institution to buy it.

Thank's for your response.

Patricia.

Re: Simplicio

: To whom it may concern:

: Where can I sell my 1929 Francisco Simplicio Acoustic
: Guitar?. It is an extraordinay jewel of sound but can't
: find a serious institution to buy it.

: Thank's for your response.

: Patricia.

Dear Patricia.
You should have no problems finding a buyer for such a lovely instrument. My guitarteacher owned two (one from 1929 in original state with a tornavoz). I have always wanted one but they have become too expensive. If it hasn´t gone already I can give you som names of dealers. I know it isn't the best solution to sell it to a dealer or collector it should really go to a concerned musician.
Would you let me know your asking price.

Kind regards
Barry

: Dear Patricia. Just today I read your message in this board. Could you please tell me if your Simplicio is still available or not. Thanks. Best wishes A.R.

Hi Patricia. I am very interested in your Simplicio guitar. Is it still for sale? What condition is it in and where did you get it. I also have a simplicio from 1929 and would like to own another. Please send photos of the guitar if you can. thanks

Hi Patricia,

If your Simplicio is still available please tell me more about it. What condition is it in? Any cracks or repairs? What is your asking price? Any pictures? I may be interested in the guitar myself.

Thanks,

Enrique

Stella Guitar

i have my dads old STELLA guitar and i want to know if there is any value in it or if i should get a new one

Re: Stella Guitar

: i have my dads old STELLA guitar and i want to know if there is any value in it or if i should get a new one

If it's one of the better models then keep it. Harmony made some pretty nice guitars and the Stella line has some fine guitars. You can go to my site and look at some Stellas and see what you have. Just click on the Harmony guitars link/pictures and descriptions.
www.comparethevalue.com

Send me an email when you find out which model you have.
Bill

Cyber-Twin expression pedal

Does any one know of a good expression pedal to use with the Fender Cyber-Twin? I have a Line6 but it will only vary volume between 1-6. th manual say to use an expression pedal wioth a rating of 10K to 250K ohms but I found it hard to get specs on the various pedals available.

Re: Cyber-Twin expression pedal

http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=44082
this is the pedal for you it is awsome

Phew weee!

Can you smell my trumps?

IBANEZ RG-350DX

anyone know if this guitar is any good, or know any common problems with it. i think it's made in korea, it is white, with black hardware
this guitar looks cool to me, if i get it im prob going to change the pickups out of it though,

PRS Santana neck profile

Can anyone tell me about the PRS Santana neck. Is it thicker than their stock wide fat neck? Is it larger than the Paul Standard fat 50's neck. Any info would help. Thanks to all.

Guild rotoverb

does any body know who could find the schematic for a 1960`s Guild rotoverb? the bright techs decided to seal it with epoxy....sealed forever. is anybody familiar with the history of this box?..any techs?
mods? schematics?.

STAM.WEBHOP.NET scanned tabs and more

come one come all!
get your scanned tabs here..

Tuning - Ibanez SA160

Hi I´ve an Ibanez SA160QMTE and want to build in
better Pickups. Does anyone tried this before?
What Pickups you have used? What are your results.
Best regards
Oldbeetle Olli

Re: Tuning - Ibanez SA160

when adding new pickups to this instrument make sure the pickups have the same thickness in wires. i have put my rg450 ibanez inf pickups into a gibson les paul studio and they are too powerful for the pots, i have changed them twice. make sure you dont make the same mistake! get a pro to assess your new pickups first! sa 160 is a beautiful instrument, dont ever change it for the world. best of luck strummers!
please e-mail me if u have any quieries. i will do all i can to help

Hohner Contessa Model HG14-70XA

Hello,
I just purchased this guitar for my guitar-playing children from a neighbor at a garage sale and am trying to find out more about it. It is a classical guitar, and is labeled Made in Japan.
Could the 70 in the model number mean it was made in 1970?
Any info at all is helpful.

louden guitars

Hey anybody out there know any where i could price my louden guitar its the 179th ever made and in good nick and must be worth a good bit of money

Re: louden guitars

: Hey anybody out there know any where i could price my louden guitar its the 179th ever made and in good nick and must be worth a good bit of money
Hey let me know the specs and I'll get back to you

Re: louden guitars

: : Hey anybody out there know any where i could price my louden guitar its the 179th ever made and in good nick and must be worth a good bit of money
: Hey let me know the specs and I'll get back to you

try www.georgelowden.com

louden guitar

hey anyone know the price for a louden guitar

song

i wanna download free mp3 songs

Question on scales.

Hi there, to whom it may concern.
I was looking at a site on scales that suggested an F melodic minor scale could be played over a G7b9 chord. It is my understanding that a scale must contain the chord tones of that chord to be played over. So; a G7b9 chord is- G-B-D-F-Ab. The F melodic minor scale (ascending) is- F-G-Ab-Bb-C-D-E-F. The Bb of the scale clashes with B of the chord. What's the story?

Re: Question on scales.

Well the main rule is rules are made to be broken.... as I recall a melodic minor scale only has a flat 3rd, ie F-G-Ab-B-C-D-E-F ... but I could be wrong too.

: Hi there, to whom it may concern.
: I was looking at a site on scales that suggested an F melodic minor scale could be played over a G7b9 chord. It is my understanding that a scale must contain the chord tones of that chord to be played over. So; a G7b9 chord is- G-B-D-F-Ab. The F melodic minor scale (ascending) is- F-G-Ab-Bb-C-D-E-F. The Bb of the scale clashes with B of the chord. What's the story?

Re: Question on scales.

I really hate the whole "plug a scale into the chord on the sheet" approach to playing because it causes confusion in just the manner that it has for you.

Lets take the scale in question: the F is the b7 of the chord, it works, the G in the scale is the root of the chord which works (except often the b9 (Ab here) will end up resolving down to the G which will act as the 5th of the next chord that is why voice leading and what the "change" is is often more important than the chord at any given moment when a chord is played for a measure or less (or two measures when the tempo approaches ludicrous speed) the change is what is going on not the static scale/chord relationship.), the Ab works because it will be played either by the comping guy or the bassist and as you're playing you'll hear where to go from that note the flat 9 i sso distinctive, the Bb would be the "blue note" and be a very sweet color tone, the C would clash like all forths do but if there are no G's being played and the Ab (flat 9) is subing for the root of the chord then the C might not sound bad if hit on a down beat but I'd not try to play it on a downbeats, the D should work, and the E should work. Play around with it and see how it sounds over the changes and that chord for yourself.

Of greater concern than the Bb is the D, because if someone decides to flat the fifth it will clash.

What ever tune you're playing, don't ignore the melody so see what it is over that chord, and consider what that chord is doing in the overall structure of the tune, and look at the chord before and after the G7b9 to see where the voices are going.

Switch Problems with my Marshall 4150 Bass Combo Amp

Hi,

I really hope you can help me.

I got a Marshall Combo Amp on Ebay & it supposedly worked before being shipped to me. Problem is, when I went to install the trans, it doesn't now ($800 big ones later).

I think I did everything right...tho I'm stumped at why it doesn't work? At first I thought the amp doesn't come on at all, but then I noticed the tubes glowing, so it appears that on/off switch doesn't work. When I flip the on/off switch slowly, it crackles in the middle or pops as if it will work
but doesn't. Then 1 time, i tried the on/off switch
back & forth while leavin the standby on, & suddenly
the on/off switch's red lite finally came on for a nansecond & a fizzle happened followed by a teeny amount of smoke. Since I know it isn't the cords, or the cables...I'm wondering if it's a short in the on/off switch & if so, how hard that is to fix.

By the way, the switches on the back are set to 120 Marshall UK volts (tho I have 110v, like your ave American)...& 4 ohms, could this be part of the problem?

Thanks, George

I need a 2nd guitarist, bassist, and a drummer for a punk rock band

I need a bassist, guitarist, and a drummer for a punk rock band. I'm looking for people (ages 14-17)who are willing to be different so we'll stand out above the other punk bands. I have no preference whether people are male or female. I have not had any previous experience in a band that has actually played together. I am female and I sing and the other guitarist/singer is female. We DO NOT want to be known as a girl or a chick band. Please, if you're interested, contact us. We live in Cleveland, Ohio.

plectrum darn fingz

i doin this priject on guitar plecrums and need help finding out like how they r made and any information about tht piece of plastic tht is often lost overlooked and a lot of people could not live without.

thx

DOD and Boss Pedal schem also Eden amp schem

Hi everybody!

I am looking for those schematics: Eden bass amp, boss overdrives or distorsions and DOD preamp pedal YJM

WANTED - Gibson Les Paul Bass (LPB-2)

Looking to buy LPB-2

Tascam 488mkII Recorder Manual

Anyone with imformation on getting a manual for this recorder would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Tascam 488mkII Recorder Manual

: Anyone with imformation on getting a manual for this recorder would be greatly appreciated.

Yes PLEASE SEND IT TO ME IF YOU FIND IT. thanks

doors shows for trade

several doors shows for trade including the paris shows la scene and le zenith also the brussels show
let me know if you are interested, i'm only interested in doors shows.

Hi anyone know anything about my guitar?

Hi I found a Lyle guitar 890 in a garbage can with a broken neck. I took it to the shop where I was taking lessens at the time. Theu were able to fix it pretty good. It only has one place that makes a vibration sound if you aren't carful. If you know which fret and where to put you finger know one would ever know. I love it!
It has inlayed abalone on the frets and a wonderful bridge. I have had two offers to buy it. One from my guitar teacher at the time and one from a realy old timer. But I said no to all. I will always keep it. It is my garbage can guitar. :7)
I just wish I knew what it sold for new and Where were they sold?
I am looking for a tweleve string now. I used to play one a little and loved it.
But I don't know what is a reasonable price for one.
Thanks to all who read this.
ivorysoul

Re: Hi anyone know anything about my guitar?

Here is all I know about Lyle guitars ... http://may.pipebox.net/phill/lyle/

: Hi I found a Lyle guitar 890 in a garbage can with a broken neck. I took it to the shop where I was taking lessens at the time. Theu were able to fix it pretty good. It only has one place that makes a vibration sound if you aren't carful. If you know which fret and where to put you finger know one would ever know. I love it!
: It has inlayed abalone on the frets and a wonderful bridge. I have had two offers to buy it. One from my guitar teacher at the time and one from a realy old timer. But I said no to all. I will always keep it. It is my garbage can guitar. :7)
: I just wish I knew what it sold for new and Where were they sold?
: I am looking for a tweleve string now. I used to play one a little and loved it.
: But I don't know what is a reasonable price for one.
: Thanks to all who read this.
: ivorysoul

Very impressive demo

Remember the dude who recommended to download the demo at www.q-tuner.com? I went for the 96 kHz version and IMO it is a must for any bass player out there. Alas, difficult reading.

GFX Multi effect pedal into dual rect effects loop

Hi,
Im buying a mesa dual rectifier very soon and i currently use a Zoom GFX-8 multi effects that i want to use with the am via the effects loop. Ive never hooked up an effects loop before so any help on how to set up and use would be most appreciated. Thanks

Fender Telecaster??

Hey, a few days ago my uncle sent me a fender telecaster that a dying friend had left him. It looks like its been around the block a few times, how can i determine the age? the only numbers on it are DES164227 and 2573254

Thanks for any help

Re: Fender Telecaster??

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&message_area_number=17&lastpost=2004-01-1310:41:37

That should be a link to the tele forum at fenderforum.com where you could ask and get the answer.

Well, Computer literate, I'm NOT! I THINK I PUSHED THE WRONG BUTTON! The serial numbers can be researched pretty easy. Where are they? Fender still has an office in California, I think. Just about any music store could help you find them. Can you describe it? What kind of logo does it have on the headstock? What kind of saddles on the bridge assembly? These things would help date it (BALLPARK) to a degree. If you are interested in selling it, there are people who would like to know more about it, and I'm one of them. Please respond. Good luck.

Here's a website that should help you date it: http://www.scholte.tmfweb.nl/dating-guitar.htm

The next question of course is "what's it worth?" - That's how I ran across the above link - a buddy has an old tele he wanted me to take a look at and re-string, see if I could get it playing better - after seeing it I had to find out how old it was - it's 1967 all original honey/butterscotch Tele. Beat up a bit - but wonder what it's worth - any ideas out there?

Gibson ES 175cc, Charlie Christian PU,1979 How to sell

Seeking advice on the best way to sell a 1979 Gibson ES 175cc (Charlie Christian Pickup. Ebay? Online to a dealer? ETc. Any idea of the value as it is in superb condition (9 out of 10) Thnks

Re: Gibson ES 175cc, Charlie Christian PU,1979 How to sell

How much? Where are you? Any pics? I may be interested.

: Seeking advice on the best way to sell a 1979 Gibson

ES 175cc (Charlie Christian Pickup. Ebay? Online to a dealer? ETc. Any idea of the value as it is in superb condition (9 out of 10) Thnks

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.