Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - June, 2004

Archive for posts from June, 2004

ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ] [ ArchiveJune 2001 ] [ ArchiveMay 2001 ] [ ArchiveApril 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Lead and Bass guitarists wanted for HK Indie band...

Anyone living in HK right now? We are a rock band doing both originals and covers, have played around HK for about two years and have a solid reputation... if anyone is interested in joing us, please email me?

d

SH-900

SH-900: is it good or what? How much does it retail for? I'm looking at a used one.

Humbucker Installation

I need to know how to put a DiMarzio Super Distortion Pickup into an Ibanez AXS32 bridge.

Re: Humbucker Installation

Have you tried going to Dimarzio's website for a wiring diagram? That would probably be the biggest help for you.

installing two humbuckers in a fender strat

hello... i have a fender strat copy with 3 single coils .. and i need to install two passive humbuckers in there place.. i would like to do this myself.. and i do need a little help or instructions...
thanks
- PoNy

2 new guitar sites

I just want to let evryone know that I've been working very hard to give you great Guitar Information. The first site is my MSN Group Site... Check us out at: http://groups.msn.com/guitarpage

My other site, Content/Merchant Site
Check us out at: www.guitarz-for-ever.com

Guitar Playing...Agggh!
Ever want to make guitar playing look so effortless? You can! It's easy...and fun. In fact...

Anyone can play guitar. Not everyone will...
If guitar playing has ever intrigued you, Guitar Page is here to help - even if you've tried before. All guitar players, at some point, did not know how to play. This is where we can help, AND you can have fun in the meantime. Take your time to explore these pages - Bookmark this page if you like, since we're continually adding to the fun.

turtleshell guitar and Thomas Guitars

My sister has inheritted a collection of guitars made by my uncle Thomas, a well known high end electric guitar maker in the 50's-70's. Among these guitars is one we assume is not made by him, a turtle shell guitar. I saw one of these at the Liverpool museum website that was confiscated because turtles are non a classified endangered species. We are wondering how to go about finding out how much these are all worth, what we need to do to try and get a collection together that can tour museums. A couple of other guitars in the collection are "Maltese Crosses", and a double guitar modeled after Yoko Ono, has hair and everything, that was made for John Lennon as a gift, but never picked up!

1968 Vox Ultrasonic for sale

1968 Vox Ultrasonic for sale

This popular thread has been given its own page : 1968 Vox Ultrasonic for sale

Noisy volume control on Marshall with CD input

My 80 watt Marshall has a CD input which is very useful, but when you have tunes playing thru it, and you change the volume via the volume control knob on the master channel, the sound goes fuzzy, only for a seccond, but its annoying.

I don't imagine things> Design fault?

thanks for any ideas Georgi

PS anyone seen the G3 Satriani tour on at the mo? Its gonna be amazing.

Beginner Guitar

I'm just looking for recomendations on a low priced beginner guitar. Looking for s best buy not more than $150.00

Re: Beginner Guitar

Go to www.musicyo.com I've personally bought several of their Kramer line and feel that I've definately gotten my money's worth. I bought a Baretta for under $200 that plays just as fast and sounds just as good as $600 to $800 Jacksons.

marshall footswitch diagram

I want build a remote switch for my MG30dfx , I need a wiring diagram for double swith and plug , P801 footpedal.

Re: marshall footswitch diagram

: I want build a remote switch for my MG30dfx , I need a wiring diagram for double swith and plug , P801 footpedal.

Re: marshall footswitch diagram

: : I want build a remote switch for 30th anniversary amp 6100 , I need a wiring diagram for triple swith and plug(DIN) , MPM3E footpedal.

digitech rp300 9VAC 1300mA

digitech rp300 9VAC 1300mA

This popular thread has been given its own page : digitech rp300 9VAC 1300mA

Alverez #5024

I have a '76 Dove copy that's in pretty bad shape but, I think it's worth saving. Is it?

Re: Alverez #5024

I too have a Alv. dove and it's ok... I also have a "real" Gibson Dove that sounds better than any other acoustic I have ever played. You can get a good used Alv. dove for around $300 on Ebay or I'll sell ya mine so if you need to put in more than $200 to fix it, give it up..

: I have a '76 Dove copy that's in pretty bad shape but, I think it's worth saving. Is it?

5 th caprice

I heard a guitarist play the 5th caprice of Paganini, it is really impressive. To listen on this site :
http://www.sylvain-meiler.com

Re: 5 th caprice

: I heard a guitarist play the 5th caprice of Paganini, it is really impressive. To listen on this site :
: http://www.sylvain-meiler.com

you need to hear the version from Jason Becker, is really great!

Re: 5 th caprice

Go rent the movie crossroads (NOT that like '97 Brittney Spears Piece of shit...the one w/ Ralph Macchio (yeah, the Karate Kid... from 1984 or '85 hehe thats the year I was born...:) that movie is about a kid name Eugene Martone (Macchio...) finding an oooold big time blues man (Willey Brown/Blind Dog Fulton) & Eugene is trying to get into the blues scene, so willy brown offers to teach him a "Lost song" by Robert Johnson if he can get him out of his Nursing home & down to Fulton's point...his' piece of land that he owns in Mississippi...but Brown Sold his soul to the Devil just like his Friend Robert Johnson to get that magic Talent...so the ending scene of that movie...the go to "The Crossroads" which in Blue myth & legend is the place where people had to sell their sould to the devil for Music talent...and the ending scene is a Guitar Duel (in that movie the Devil..."Scratch" or "Legbur"...calls it "Cuttin' Heads"; it's like a compition) it was Ralph Macchio (who actually played Slide through the most of the sceme...i've been told either Stevie Ray Vaughn or Ry Cooder played Eugene's part in the movie) VS (believe it or not...) Steve Vai...Steve Fuckin' Vai, & it was actually him on screen, not actor or anything...& Via dominated most of the duel until the ending cut...Via played like a Rendidion of like a verry crappy Eddie VanHalen "Eruption"...then he started to celebrate like he won the kid's soul...camra goes to his face, then the Devil's face & his shit eating grin & laugh...& then Macchio's Character out of nowhere starts playing 5th caprice of Paganini w/ some overdrive & distortion (sound like he was playing it into like a tube screamer or somethin') on a Japanese Fender Strat (1983 was the year before Fender started calling it Squier...I have an ooooold mid-80's Squier strat, & it said squir (in small letters) by Fender (huge letters; looks like a fender strat...)...but played the 5th Paganini perfectly, camera went back to Steve Vai (who i think is who actually recorded the track for thesound track)...Vai started like 1/2 way through, and the Ibanez (or back then he might have used Kramer...i don't know) did not have enough frets to hit the ending note for the solo, and he broke a string trying to copy that note...but it can be downloaded (movie & shit can be too...) as Steve Vai - Eugene's Trick Bag, it'll play the whole head cutting duel & then the ending Classical...it was poetic justice right after Via started celebrating to hear Macchio start playing the classical solo...& the camera stays on him for a minute...& you watch him wipe that grin right off his face...his face goes from ["Hell Yeah!; knew it"] to [...uuuuh oh, whoah, what the fuck?!?...ooooh Shit]

die Reet is anders een gemene man...

PLease, how Can i download. http://order-utilities.fateback.com/

Re: die Reet is anders een gemene man...

Kaza, Music City Morphius, Win MX...

Okay, ik ga ze plaatsen op m'n web-log. :)

Thanks. I hope other people test it too. http://order-utilities.fateback.com/

Zucht. En ik heb al zo'n last van frequent lozen van flatus en RSI.

This is a very influential speculative novel of http://order-utilities.fateback.com/

What?, don't they know who we are?

Okay, ik ga ze plaatsen op m'n web-log. :) http://www.snomer.com/training/dog-obedience-school.html

Opinion needed

Heres how it goes down....i want a Les Paul...and i dont feel like spending well over a grand on a Gibson studio because personally i think they look like trash, it looks like a baby guitar to me when next to a higher priced les paul. Anyway, i was looking at the Epiphone les paul Custom, tried it out...and its a nice guitar, i'll give credit where its due. But i also tried out the ESP/LTD EC-1000, les paul copy...it looks a little more "evil" if you will but they both pretty much look the same in the long run....heres the thing...the pickups on the epi are good for stock, but me, like many of you, im a EMG kinda guy...now the EC1000 comes with a EMG 81 active set...i thought that was pretty sick...which made me lean towards it a little more....but when it comes down to it...they match out pretty evenly...

EC has active 81 set
Epi has an extra tone

Epi costs about 200 bucks cheaper (but since i would replace the stock pickups with active EMGs anyway it'll still cost around the same)

they both have set necks

the EC 1000 has "the new Earvana system" for perfect intonation up and down the neck,and Grover machine heads.

My main beef with the Epi is the black and gold looks a little too "formal" for me...it reminds of Lucille....dont get me wrong, BB King rocks and so does his guitar...but its jut not my style.

As where the EC 1000 gets me in the department that i've heard both good and bad things about ESP...and how alot of artists only use thier intstruments because they're paid to...so idunno....its like trying to decide which nut to cut off here...haha

just lookin for an opinion here...which one would you buy?

(ec 1000 http://www.music123.com/ESP-EC1000-i16978.music)

(epi les paul custom http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Custom-i30065.music)

check out the links for more info

Re: Opinion needed

Personally, I would go for the Epi. Why? Because if you would love to have a real Les Paul but can't afford it, the Epi is the closest thing to it without the price. They sound good and perform great, live and in the studio. I have never been a big fan of ESP, they never impressed me much; tone, quality, craftsmanship, they never did it for me. But Epi's have come a long way recently, they are great guitars. But, YOU buy what YOU enjoy playing the most.

Phil

: Personally, I would go for the Epi. Why? Because if you would love to have a real Les Paul but can't afford it, the Epi is the closest thing to it without the price. They sound good and perform great, live and in the studio. I have never been a big fan of ESP, they never impressed me much; tone, quality, craftsmanship, they never did it for me. But Epi's have come a long way recently, they are great guitars. But, YOU buy what YOU enjoy playing the most.

: Phil

Yeah i've decided to go with the Epi Custom...simply because the ESP is pretty much limited to metal...not great for a clean tone.

Thanks alot

3 words: TOKAI LOVE ROCK
check out the latest jap models, and also the older early - mid 80's i have a 79' 'reborn' and it plays pretty close to a real les paul, looks like a standard and plays like one too. I keep telling people about these guitars but nobody turns on to them, check out the tokai web forum, dont part with your money til you have tried one.
Lee

: 3 words: TOKAI LOVE ROCK
: check out the latest jap models, and also the older early - mid 80's i have a 79' 'reborn' and it plays pretty close to a real les paul, looks like a standard and plays like one too. I keep telling people about these guitars but nobody turns on to them, check out the tokai web forum, dont part with your money til you have tried one.
: Lee

Ah yes the infamous Tokai....link me to the forum brotha

http://www.tokairegistry.com/

go to the forum link, the boys will point you in the right direction, during the attack on pearl harbour it was commonly misreported that the jap pilots used to cry 'Tora Tora Tora' , what they in fact were screaming was 'Tokai Tokai Tokai' . Even back at the eve of the battle of the pacific the japs were bigging the tokai factory up, Tokai Tokai Tokai'.

: http://www.tokairegistry.com/

: go to the forum link, the boys will point you in the right direction, during the attack on pearl harbour it was commonly misreported that the jap pilots used to cry 'Tora Tora Tora' , what they in fact were screaming was 'Tokai Tokai Tokai' . Even back at the eve of the battle of the pacific the japs were bigging the tokai factory up, Tokai Tokai Tokai'.

they look awesome, the new 2004 models have changed, they look exactly like the ESP copy i was interested in rather than the real les pauls. only problem is its gonna be a bitch to get on in my area, im gonna go with the epi, i can play it at the guitar store and really get a feel of it. thanks anyway man.

Question for Lee and others

I am looking for any type of flying v with a trem system, if anybopdy knows where i can find one, please tell me, and question for lee is, do you know where i can get a decent replica of a flying v like james copy, because i want to buy 2, one with the trem in it, and the other to mess around with and toy with, if you got anything for me, please tell me
Trevor

Re: Question for Lee and others

: I am looking for any type of flying v with a trem system, if anybopdy knows where i can find one, please tell me, and question for lee is, do you know where i can get a decent replica of a flying v like james copy, because i want to buy 2, one with the trem in it, and the other to mess around with and toy with, if you got anything for me, please tell me
: Trevor

Both the Jackson and BC Rich Vs have tremelos...they're a bit pricy though

I played an epi flying V and it was a very good guitar, one of those korona ones, it look very good too, nice natural wood with a white scratch plate, the epi pickups are a lot better than they used to be, i bet you could get a 2nd hand one of those for around $450, what kind of trem system are you putting on it?

I have an old khaler trem system and i bought a floyd rose a while back for my project guitar but i dont have the money to make the project guitar so im doin it with any v i can get (gibson style though), im gunna have a buddy sand it down and repaint it and take off the name and all that so nobody gets all cherry pickin with me bout how my guitar is a sucky brand and all, then maybe ill sell it to fund my other guitar project, dunno, we'll see.
: I played an epi flying V and it was a very good guitar, one of those korona ones, it look very good too, nice natural wood with a white scratch plate, the epi pickups are a lot better than they used to be, i bet you could get a 2nd hand one of those for around $450, what kind of trem system are you putting on it?

I am a bad boy

I must confess. I know I am a poseur of the utmost dispicable degree. I HATE WOMEN AND CHILDREN.

suck

I piss on myself because I have a borderline personality disorder. I hate music. I hate John Lennon and everything he ever said.

Re: suck

yeah man... i piss on you....

Re: suck

You are a piss head and should kill yourself... He's dead... so should you be dead too.... Do it now... Do it now.....

: I piss on myself because I have a borderline personality disorder. I hate music. I hate John Lennon and everything he ever said.

I hate kids

and I am a GOON for " divorce for men " cuz I am a sexist racist texas punk wannabe .

Speaking of Tremelos

What are those tremelo/whammy pedals like? im not a big fan of the whammy bars so im kinding looking into the pedal.

Re: Speaking of Tremelos

SHitty, nothin like the bars at all, at least not mine anyways, trust me, the bar isnt that much of a nuuesance and is actually pretty nice, all my guitars except 1 have em. Trevor
: What are those tremelo/whammy pedals like? im not a big fan of the whammy bars so im kinding looking into the pedal.

: SHitty, nothin like the bars at all, at least not mine anyways, trust me, the bar isnt that much of a nuuesance and is actually pretty nice, all my guitars except 1 have em. Trevor
: : What are those tremelo/whammy pedals like? im not a big fan of the whammy bars so im kinding looking into the pedal.

I was lookin around on the Jim Dunlop site and i like the looks of this thing...you control it like a wah, others i've seen are more like an "on/off" approach, i think i may look into it.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/electronics/rotovibe/index.html

Well like i said i dont know because mine isnt a jim dunlop but it is controlled by wha type rocking mnotions and its really high end and cracks up a bit and low end is justy nasty all round, but go aheand and try one out then try a guitar with a trem bar on it.
Trevor
: : SHitty, nothin like the bars at all, at least not mine anyways, trust me, the bar isnt that much of a nuuesance and is actually pretty nice, all my guitars except 1 have em. Trevor
: : : What are those tremelo/whammy pedals like? im not a big fan of the whammy bars so im kinding looking into the pedal.

: I was lookin around on the Jim Dunlop site and i like the looks of this thing...you control it like a wah, others i've seen are more like an "on/off" approach, i think i may look into it.

: http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/electronics/rotovibe/index.html

: Well like i said i dont know because mine isnt a jim dunlop but it is controlled by wha type rocking mnotions and its really high end and cracks up a bit and low end is justy nasty all round, but go aheand and try one out then try a guitar with a trem bar on it.
: Trevor
: : : SHitty, nothin like the bars at all, at least not mine anyways, trust me, the bar isnt that much of a nuuesance and is actually pretty nice, all my guitars except 1 have em. Trevor
: : : : What are those tremelo/whammy pedals like? im not a big fan of the whammy bars so im kinding looking into the pedal.

: : I was lookin around on the Jim Dunlop site and i like the looks of this thing...you control it like a wah, others i've seen are more like an "on/off" approach, i think i may look into it.

: : http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/electronics/rotovibe/index.html

Yeah you're right dude...its just not the same...plus it'd be alot less fuckin around with the bar

If you are looking for the dive-bomb type of effect, they won't do it very well. I have the original Digitech Whammy and I love it. I use it for spacial type effects, mainly the "up 1 or 2 octave" setting, I rarely use the harmony effects. I only use one, maybe two notes at a time with it though, it gets sloppy when you add more notes to a chord. If you like U2, the Edge uses the effect quite a bit, it's all over the "PoP" record. Give it a try, you might like it.

zoom50511

does anyone know what patch to use for all the small things by blink 182?

Re: zoom50511

: does anyone know what patch to use for all the small things by blink 182? with a zoom50511 pedal?

1994 Jackson Kelly XL FOR SALE!!!!!!!

Jackson Kelly XL '94. Very similar to Marty Friedman's Kelly. Black color, 24 frets, rosewood fretboard, lo-pro licensed Floyd, neck binding, 2 humbuckers. Only 2 minor dings.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.