Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - June, 2004

Archive for posts from June, 2004

ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ] [ ArchiveJune 2001 ] [ ArchiveMay 2001 ] [ ArchiveApril 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: 1994 Jackson Kelly XL FOR SALE!!!!!!!

Email me with some pics and the price korvetluvr@yahoo.com
: Jackson Kelly XL '94. Very similar to Marty Friedman's Kelly. Black color, 24 frets, rosewood fretboard, lo-pro licensed Floyd, neck binding, 2 humbuckers. Only 2 minor dings.

Re: 1994 Jackson Kelly XL FOR SALE!!!!!!!

Trevor I already send you the pics. Let me know...

sg bass copy

I recently purchased an SG bass replica in the UK and am interseted in finding out what make it is as there are no emblems on it. The bass itself has a single pick-up and was made in Japan. If anyone has more informaton, please e-mail me.

Re: sg bass copy

Its most likely a Copy without a name, like james hetfields flying v, nobody knows what make it is, its just a copy he has layin around, and a damn good one at that.
Trevor
: I recently purchased an SG bass replica in the UK and am interseted in finding out what make it is as there are no emblems on it. The bass itself has a single pick-up and was made in Japan. If anyone has more informaton, please e-mail me.

Re: sg bass copy

if its made in Japan it will be a good copy, if it looks old it could be a tokai, i think those SG basses were called EB3's and there were 2 types, a long and a short scale neck, EB3's were used a lot in the 70's, didnt jack bruce used to use one? without a brandname it will be very difficult to get info on.
Lee

Lee question

Lee i noticed you have good sources for guitars, do you have any other sites besides music123, musicians friend, ed romans, and sweetwater
if so please send them for me, Trevor

Re: Lee question

im not in the US trvor, im in London UK, to buy guitars i always use Loot.com, but that is a UK website, i buy a bit from Ebay mostly parts, but i find that to be quite expensive, i usualy sell on there, ive just got a jap '62 reissue strat, im going to break it up and sell it seperatly on there, a brilliant source for tab is http://www.guitarsrule.com
for lessons i use http://www.guitarknowledgenet.com/
most of the other sites i use are UK specific.
Lee

Re: Lee question

samedaymusic.com is a gd site 4 guitars and nevadamusic.co.uk

I too have a question for Lee...or anyone else who may know

Whats the deal with the "Faded" line of Gibson guitars? Are they so cheap because they sound like crap or are they so cheap because they look like crap?

How to they match up against Epiphone?

Because heres my thing, i was going for a Epi Les Paul Standard when i saw these, i dont care much about the look because i could very easily paint it myself, i have the proper tools.

Re: I too have a question for Lee...or anyone else who may know

Nothing is really different unless you play, they sound the same with the same hardware and everything, but the faded series is much lighter, i dont know why they are so cheap but a faded v plays like the reissues do maybe better and the faded is extremly light, i mean so light i could easily balance it on my pinky no problem, but otherwise they are the same, i want to buy oen but no money so i cant.
Trevor
: Whats the deal with the "Faded" line of Gibson guitars? Are they so cheap because they sound like crap or are they so cheap because they look like crap?

: How to they match up against Epiphone?

: Because heres my thing, i was going for a Epi Les Paul Standard when i saw these, i dont care much about the look because i could very easily paint it myself, i have the proper tools.

All the faded models are different, i recently sold a LP special double cutaway in cherry, it was a 1990 model, and here are the differences on that model, the faded model has: narrower headstock, the 'Gibson logo' is a gold transfer on the faded on mine it was pearloid inlay standard type, the scratchplate was one ply on the faded on mine it was 3 ply, the body on the faded was 2/3 the thickness of mine hence the weight difference and of course it has no cellulose coating, looks like somes taken a palm sander to it, looks rubbish. you will find on all the faded models there are differences to the originals, all the faded models have dot markers on the neck, you wont find a LP standard in this range, i think they only do a SG special, A LP special DC and SC, And a Flying V.
You should just find the money and go for the LP standard you want, beg borrow or steal it. someone will probably try and rip the arse out of this post, but there it is, i believe it to be true to the best of my knowledge.

Lee

: All the faded models are different, i recently sold a LP special double cutaway in cherry, it was a 1990 model, and here are the differences on that model, the faded model has: narrower headstock, the 'Gibson logo' is a gold transfer on the faded on mine it was pearloid inlay standard type, the scratchplate was one ply on the faded on mine it was 3 ply, the body on the faded was 2/3 the thickness of mine hence the weight difference and of course it has no cellulose coating, looks like somes taken a palm sander to it, looks rubbish. you will find on all the faded models there are differences to the originals, all the faded models have dot markers on the neck, you wont find a LP standard in this range, i think they only do a SG special, A LP special DC and SC, And a Flying V.
: You should just find the money and go for the LP standard you want, beg borrow or steal it. someone will probably try and rip the arse out of this post, but there it is, i believe it to be true to the best of my knowledge.

: Lee

And people say Epiphone Les Pauls are "fake Les Pauls"...sounds to me like these muthafuckers are the fakes.

And is it just me or is it INSANE that the Gibson Standard is 4 times the price of the Epi....i mean c'mmon is it really THAT Much better!?

and are epiphones LPs smaller then the gibsons or are they pretty much an exact copy?

i have to say in all honesty, the Gibsons are better, i always look at buying guitars as an investment, but you need to follow some basic rules, always get the most wanted model, in your case, a LP standard, that is the most popular model, always get a standard 'standard' model, in other words if they bring out an electric blue one off model with active pickups and you fall in love with it, i would avoid it, in 2 years time it will look naff and no-one will want it, always go for a colour that everybody wants, the old sunburst colours are always good sellers, and buy it 2nd hand, then you pay less and in 2 years if you decide to sell you will always get your money back plus more. keep it in original condition, if you do decide to change the pickups, keep the old ones to put back on when you sell it. so invest your $1000 dollars in a good 2nd hand gibson les paul, there is nothing like it, the epis dont match up, neither do the tokais or any other copy, the gibsons always cut through, if there is nothing that can touch these guitars, so get the money together and go buy one and stop talking about it.

: i have to say in all honesty, the Gibsons are better, i always look at buying guitars as an investment, but you need to follow some basic rules, always get the most wanted model, in your case, a LP standard, that is the most popular model, always get a standard 'standard' model, in other words if they bring out an electric blue one off model with active pickups and you fall in love with it, i would avoid it, in 2 years time it will look naff and no-one will want it, always go for a colour that everybody wants, the old sunburst colours are always good sellers, and buy it 2nd hand, then you pay less and in 2 years if you decide to sell you will always get your money back plus more. keep it in original condition, if you do decide to change the pickups, keep the old ones to put back on when you sell it. so invest your $1000 dollars in a good 2nd hand gibson les paul, there is nothing like it, the epis dont match up, neither do the tokais or any other copy, the gibsons always cut through, if there is nothing that can touch these guitars, so get the money together and go buy one and stop talking about it.

Yes sir!

Marshall Amp Settings

I just bought a JCM800 1960 Cab and I am having trouble with cab settings as far as mono/stereo set ups - don't know what ohm I should be at - does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Marshall Amp Settings

: I just bought a JCM800 1960 Cab and I am having trouble with cab settings as far as mono/stereo set ups - don't know what ohm I should be at - does anyone have any suggestions?

if you arent using rack gear use mono always and the 16 ohm socket on the cab. for the head use 8 ohms for 1 cab and 16 for 2 cabs.

Re: Marshall Amp Settings

Your cab shouldn't be set at less than 4 Ohms, any lower and you could blow your valve head. If you're using a single 4 x 12 celestion cabinet, 8 to 16 Ohms is fine. If you're using 2 cabinets, use the mono settings on your speaker and set it to 8 Ohms for both cabs. 4 cabs is your maximum output as they each take an input of 4 Ohms. Good Luck and remember dont set your cab below 4 Ohms.

asteeg

tol gig tau dito sa philippines, u'lfind sam yo here..

Marshall VS212 for sale on ebay - 1 day only !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3730299001

Anyone bidding from this board does not need to be a Paypal customer... we would except payment via your nearest Natwest bank.

Jay

Ibanez RG7321 For Sale

Ibanez RG7321 for sale
Brand new, click link for info

Re: Ibanez RG7321 For Sale

how much does it cost?
How much did u buy it 4?

Jay Turser

I've been seeing a brand around that I haven't seen before, Jay Turser. Do any of you know about it and if so, what's the quality like?

Re: Jay Turser

Jay puts out a nice guitar. I have a few and they are worth the money. They are a mid-level quality in the electronics and a higher level in the body. I have replaced the electronics and they are awesome. I have a vine neck Les Paul copy that I replaced the pickups with a set of Ducans and it screams. The Org. pickups wern't that bad and sounded pretty good. A set neck, beautiful wood.... a good deal... Look on Ebay for the best deals.
: I've been seeing a brand around that I haven't seen before, Jay Turser. Do any of you know about it and if so, what's the quality like?

Re: Jay Turser

Cheap Chinese guitars, I say cheap, but not in quality, but price. I have a JT 200 Les Paul knock off, while the electronics needed an upgrade (I slapped in a couple of DiMarzio', and a new 3 position switch) I usually tinker with any non-vintage guitar I get.

The whole guitar itself is very nice!!! Set neck, beautiful gloss translucent purple finish, bound body and neck, and plays like a dream!!! All this for less than $150!!!

I think for the price you cannot beat these guitars (although I can only comment on the one I have).
I like it because I can tinker with it and not have to worry much about resale (the pickups are worth as much as as I paid for the platform).

Hope this helps you.

Strat Squire Serial Number

I just got a used Strat Squire and was wondering the approx year made and possibly the value. The serial # is CN211914. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

Re: Strat Squire Serial Number

CN usualy denotes its chinese, and any chinese start is worth about as much a takeout set meal for 4.
year of manufacture isnt an issue, you probably have at best a $70 guitar.
Lee

Ibanez Concord 12 string value

I am trying to find a value for a Black Ibanez Concord 12 string accoustic guitar model number 752-12 bought about 1983
Any help

Thanks
Bill Ferguson

Thoda SaRoomani

Can someone help me find a Sing online. the title Song of Thodasa Roomani Hojayen

Strat question for anybody and everybody

My buddy is givin me a mexican strat ( somethin bout it bein form mexico) in place of some money he owes me because of a crash on my dirtbike. I need to know how much a mexican stratocaster is actually worth so i know im not gettin ripped off. thanks. Trevor

Re: Strat question for anybody and everybody

over here they are £200 about $300, but i bet they cheaper your side, just take a loot at ebay.com see how much they fetch.

Re: Strat question for anybody and everybody

hey dude.. i've got a mexican strat (since i'm mexican...lol)... and it sounds really great!... well i have to say that i replaced the original strat pick ups for a kinman set... and it sounds fucking great.... i have heard that the only think u need to change on a mexican strat (for those pro-guitar players)are the pick ups... I don't mean the standard pick ups worth nothing... but there are lot pickups better than fender standard... even the neck is made on the states... it says made in mexico... but they come from the u.s.a... wood is the same (aliso)(btw..here in mexico we've got some of the best woods around!...)... but if you are interested in money more than on a guitar... i will say to you that here in mexico... a mexican standar strat is around $450 - &650 usd... add $50 if you want the sunburst color... but as always... for more info about that... check out the www.fender.com site... go to global and then fender en español.... there is a .pdf with all the prices for a strat...tele...etc... guitars. laterz amigo.... (p.s. a mexican standar stratocaster is a lot ... lot better than those made on china,korea or japan... ;) no offense lee.... but that's the way it is..... SEE YA ALL!...

die Reet is anders een gemene man...

And how about those fairies? http://www.home-hobby.h12.ru/

freaking BS, I enjoyed the IP

Thanks. I hope other people test it too. http://www.healhome.com/pharmacy/prevacid.html

Finally figured this out - my

it tells me i don't have http://www.home-hobby.h12.ru/

Were there ever real witches?

What?, don't they know who we are? http://www.thispot.com/stock-quotes.html

This is a very influential speculative novel of

If not, what were all the witch trials about? http://mac-os-graphics-editors.webeve.com/artline.html

Having my guitar appraised

I have a Gibson Explorer which i won in a radio contest.
It was owned by The Edge from U2 and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of where I could go to have it valued?

Here is a link to some pics http://www.lyptonvillage.org/gallery/edgeguitar

Thanks if you can help.

Re: Having my guitar appraised

sorry bout the last message, it didnt send properly. Anyways, though i dont know where you can go to have it valued, its the same price as any other new explorer, bout 800 in US. now add the weirdo pickgaurd which i could find for bout 20 bucks at a custom online store and you got yourself a 820 dollar guitar. are you trying to sell it?
Trevor
: I have a Gibson Explorer which i won in a radio contest.
: It was owned by The Edge from U2 and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of where I could go to have it valued?

: Here is a link to some pics http://www.lyptonvillage.org/gallery/edgeguitar

: Thanks if you can help.

did he actualy play it? looks like a promo thing, did the tour when they brought out the best of CD? i think you would need proof that he actualy owned it otherwise like trevor says its an $800 guitar with a $20 scratchplate which i think would devalue it by $20 making it a $780 guitar.
Lee

Thank you lee, and if your sellin it im lookin for one so give me a price.
Trevor

: did he actualy play it? looks like a promo thing, did the tour when they brought out the best of CD? i think you would need proof that he actualy owned it otherwise like trevor says its an $800 guitar with a $20 scratchplate which i think would devalue it by $20 making it a $780 guitar.
: Lee

It belonged to The Edge which I have proof of from Universal Records. I have authenticity papers which came with the guitar stating it was the Edge's guitar. The band gave it away as a prize to promote their Best of album. I also won a trip to Dublin to stay in their hotel.

Thanks for your comments, but I am still wondering where I can find out where I could have such a piece of rock memorabilia appraised?

It is the real thing, pardon the pun, and Im not really trying to defend that because I know it is. Im just asking advice on where I could have it valued...

wanted fender strat elite

hey I was wondering if anyone has a fender strat elite that want to sell if so please email me at ehp39@yahoo.com

bass

ok i have a laney tfx3 amp head and 2 ibanez 400 watt cabs. i have been using it for a few months now and its been fine but 4 the past 3 weeks i wasnt able 2 have it 2 play so i kept it in my room unpacked, but 2day iset it up and all of the knobs were all different.so i set them up from wht i can rember (heavy metal soudn) but im gettin a lot of bass hum, dooes any one know simple settings 2 make it soudn heavy and a bit bassy with out the bass hu over powering so it sounds liek its not disorted just about lol. p.s i use a dod multifx pedal and a 7 band EQ the EQ pedal is set netral apart from the mids which r set lower. please help me i have a recoding i 2 weeks i cant recod with the hum being so in ya face.....

Guid m20

I'm looking for a Guild M20 to buy. If anyone is selling one, please email me.
Thanks
Frazer

bass

mmm plzz lol some 1 has 2 know, its really making me think but i cant seem 2 stop it. all i wanna know is how other ppl make a heavy metal sound that moves the floor but doesnt make a hum sound.

Re: bass

Crank ur Low's ur Mid's and High's all the way up, or crank lows and highs all the way up and turn mids alll the way down, try it out.
Trevor

cheers man, il try that out. err it just got 2 me cause ive been using the 7 band EQ and the head 2ghter 4 so long now and they all got messed up so i 4got the places total killer seen as i just got my gibson sg 2day and i wanted 2 try it out lol but i will try that out man cheers

if that doesnt work ive got some other ideas so come back and notify me otherwise no problem.
: cheers man, il try that out. err it just got 2 me cause ive been using the 7 band EQ and the head 2ghter 4 so long now and they all got messed up so i 4got the places total killer seen as i just got my gibson sg 2day and i wanted 2 try it out lol but i will try that out man cheers

Suggestios:
(1)Use a noise gate,I like the Boss NS-2
(2)The bass signal is a Looong signal!At sound check stand approx. 15-20ft. from amp.You might want to cut out some bass and add more mid-range.

A common mistake is to turn up volume when the bass gets washed out by guitars and cymbles.Instead check your mids!Cuz not enough mid and too much bass signal equals "mush".More mid-range will give more clarity.

Hope this helps,

por fa

tablaturas de coldplay

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.