Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - July, 2004

Archive for posts from July, 2004

ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ] [ ArchiveJune 2001 ] [ ArchiveMay 2001 ] [ ArchiveApril 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: White Gibson Les Pauls

either that or Fender do a very good kit, comes with 3 bottles, they make it in conjunction with a car polish firm. its quite pricey, mine cost me £20 ($30) but it was well worth it.

Re: White Gibson Les Pauls

: Since I posted the original message, I brought the guitar to a Gibson Authorized repair center to have the problem evaluated. He confirmed what I thought it was. Some of the finish was rubbed off on the edges during final buffing process. Because the guitar is white, it next to impossible to match the finish with touch up paint. He did not think it would effect the value of guitar since it is a factory error. Has anyone ever experienced this on their Gibson guitar? While it does not affect the playabilty of the guitar, it is disappointing that Gibson would not have let this mistake get by and not fix it.
: Thanks,
: Vince

PLEASE VALUE MY FENDER F-05-12 12 String!

PLEASE VALUE MY FENDER F-05-12 12 String!

This popular thread has been given its own page : PLEASE VALUE MY FENDER F-05-12 12 String!

LOOKING TO SELL GIBSON SG ANGUS YOUNG SIGNATURE SERIES!!!!

LOOKING TO SELL GIBSON SG ANGUS YOUNG SIGNATURE SERIES!!!!

This popular thread has been given its own page : LOOKING TO SELL GIBSON SG ANGUS YOUNG SIGNATURE SERIES!!!!

Searching for the year of my Les Paul Custom

The serial number is imprinted on the back of the headstock. The number is 555053.
It is a sunburst LP, with gold trimmings, big block, pearl inlays, and says "Custom", on the headstock.

Re: Searching for the year of my Les Paul Custom

Buy direct from Ensenada factory?

Does anyone know if the general public can buy direct from the Ensenada factory (READ: Save a little money off the retail prices)? Since I live in San Diego, Ensenada is less than 70 miles away. I've been eyeing a Mex Robert Cray Strat to match my exquisite Jimmie Vaughan Strat. If the Ensenada factory sold direct, it might be worth the drive down. Then I could also celebrate at the famous Hussong's Cantina afterward. If anybody knows, please let me know. Thanks...Raul

Re: Buy direct from Ensenada factory?

that would sure piss off their retailers wouldnt it?
highly unlikely, they will simply tell you where your nearest dealer is.

Re: Buy direct from Ensenada factory?

Nothing would surprise me today. Try calling the factory and see if you can buy direct. Dean does it here in Fl. so why not in CA? It's worth a try. We buy Deans here in Fl. because they make such good wepons when you need one...
: Does anyone know if the general public can buy direct from the Ensenada factory (READ: Save a little money off the retail prices)? Since I live in San Diego, Ensenada is less than 70 miles away. I've been eyeing a Mex Robert Cray Strat to match my exquisite Jimmie Vaughan Strat. If the Ensenada factory sold direct, it might be worth the drive down. Then I could also celebrate at the famous Hussong's Cantina afterward. If anybody knows, please let me know. Thanks...Raul

left hand gold "F" tuners

Hey there;
I'm looking for a set of Fender "F" tuners in gold plate for a ' 72 left-hand strat I'm customizing.Needs to be Fender gold,any other and the colour won't match.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx
J.C.

Re: left hand gold "F" tuners

I'd try Ebay.... You can find anything there. Good luck..

: Hey there;
: I'm looking for a set of Fender "F" tuners in gold plate for a ' 72 left-hand strat I'm customizing.Needs to be Fender gold,any other and the colour won't match.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
: Thanx
: J.C.

8 ohms and 4 ohms in an amp

whats the diff between 8 ohms and 4 ohms in a guitar amp?

Re: 8 ohms and 4 ohms in an amp

Well, 4 ohms will be louder but put more stress on an amp. 8 Ohms will be lower volume but put less stress on the amp. Are you lookin to fix it or purchase it? If a manufactor sells an 4 ohn amp, it's set up to handle the ohms and will be louder....
: whats the diff between 8 ohms and 4 ohms in a guitar amp?

at last a half decent question, but guitarman got their first, damn it!.

The word "OHMS" means the mesure of resistance to the watts of power output by the amp. It is the load the amp must push the power through. Think of it as the load on a truck. The greater the load wieghts the slower the truck goes, the lighter the load the faster it will go. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that 4 ohms is louder than 8 ohms. For instance: A 100 watt amp driving a 4x12 cab @ 8 ohms will be louder than driving a single 12" speaker @ 4 ohms. This is because of the amount of air moved by the 4 speakers as apposed to one. The ear responds to the vibrations of the air movement. 4 - 12" speakers move more air than one. So it will be louder to the ear. Guitar man is right about the stress on the amp. Like the truck motor, without a load on it the engine will over rev & sling it's self apart. If the load on the amp is lower than what's rated it will clip or "max out" do to the lack of headroom (resistance) for peaks. This causes the amp to send DC current to the speakers and burns the fine wire in the voice coil in half...a "blown" speaker. It can also burn out the output drivers of the amp. For more on this go to Carvin.com and read, Dr. Sound - Speakers and Ohms and Watts, I think thats the name of it.

:Ohms is the impedence (resistance) just as the other guy said. Most will handle 4 or 8. Most are actually matched to 8 ohms. This means the speaker impedence is the same as the output impedence. Volume will differ but you shouldn't damage anything. The most that can be outputted across a load is what we in the electronics business call maximum power transfer and is achieved only when the impedences are matched. This is achieved through a coil or some other type of equal resistance. This is also similar to what a matching (isolation) transformer (coil) does in addition to isolating the output load. Sort of like a cordless phone vs. a corded phone during a lightning storm.

: Follow up to my follow up: I hope I didn't confuse you too much. Just wanted to make sure you don't try to "match" the output of the amp to the speaker in any way. There's a phase inversion across transformers. In other words the speaker will be 180 degrees out of phase and will sound like crap. This inversion also happens between amplification stages in a solid state amp.

:Back in the mid 90's (around 10 years ago) amps started to come out on the market with multiple ohms/watt capabillities. Most of these amps had a switch to change the output from an 8 to a 4 ohm load through a "matching" transformer, and the watts respectivly. Amps of today have matching transformers built in them that can do this automaticly. If connected to an 8 ohm load it switches it's self to handle it. If the load is 4 ohms, it will changes back to that. The amount of power, "watts", will increase as the ohms get lower. The ohms or "load" of the power section of an amp can range from 8 ohms all the way down to 2 ohms, depending upon the amp. For example: 570 watts @ 2 ohms, 400 watts @ 4 ohms, 260 watts @ 8 ohms in stereo and 800 watts @ 8 ohms in bridged mono. Note: When an amp is used in the "bridged" mode, the ohms are set to one value and should not be lower than the specs. This leaves the end user, the consumer, to decide on the speaker configuration and ohms, based upon the needs of the individual. Going to low can cause some real problems. Most musicians (even some of the pros I've met) are unaware of the potential damage that can be done to thier equipment by running to small of a load when hooking up speakers. A good sound tech (24 years doin' it now) knows that it is possible to blow a 500 watt speaker with a 50 watt amp, if the amp clips from the ohms being to low. I hear a lot of people say, "Those speakers suck, I can't belive they blew so quick like that." And then look at the volume on the amp to find it all the way up, leaving no headroom. As stated before, check your equipment and see what it is set up to handle. Remember to leave enough headroom for the peaks. If you are running the volume control over 3/4 of the way up (8 or more on a dial that goes to 10) at 8 ohms AND your amp will handle a 4 ohm load, you should change the speaker. Or if you have an EXTERNAL speaker jack, abide to the specs of it and hook up another speaker. If your amp has a LINE/DIRRECT out, you could hook up another power amp and speaker, to give more volume in the room while lowering the volume on your amp. If none of this is possible, then you need a bigger amp. There are many ways to wire mutiple speakers in an external cab together and still maitain the load of your amp. If you, or anyone else, would like more info on this or just need friendly advice and help, feel free to contact me.

whats the diff between 8 ohms and 4 ohms in a guitar amp?

: :Back in the mid 90's (around 10 years ago) amps started to come out on the market with multiple ohms/watt capabillities. Most of these amps had a switch to change the output from an 8 to a 4 ohm load through a "matching" transformer, and the watts respectivly. Amps of today have matching transformers built in them that can do this automaticly. If connected to an 8 ohm load it switches it's self to handle it. If the load is 4 ohms, it will changes back to that. The amount of power, "watts", will increase as the ohms get lower. The ohms or "load" of the power section of an amp can range from 8 ohms all the way down to 2 ohms, depending upon the amp. For example: 570 watts @ 2 ohms, 400 watts @ 4 ohms, 260 watts @ 8 ohms in stereo and 800 watts @ 8 ohms in bridged mono. Note: When an amp is used in the "bridged" mode, the ohms are set to one value and should not be lower than the specs. This leaves the end user, the consumer, to decide on the speaker configuration and ohms, based upon the needs of the individual. Going to low can cause some real problems. Most musicians (even some of the pros I've met) are unaware of the potential damage that can be done to thier equipment by running to small of a load when hooking up speakers. A good sound tech (24 years doin' it now) knows that it is possible to blow a 500 watt speaker with a 50 watt amp, if the amp clips from the ohms being to low. I hear a lot of people say, "Those speakers suck, I can't belive they blew so quick like that." And then look at the volume on the amp to find it all the way up, leaving no headroom. As stated before, check your equipment and see what it is set up to handle. Remember to leave enough headroom for the peaks. If you are running the volume control over 3/4 of the way up (8 or more on a dial that goes to 10) at 8 ohms AND your amp will handle a 4 ohm load, you should change the speaker. Or if you have an EXTERNAL speaker jack, abide to the specs of it and hook up another speaker. If your amp has a LINE/DIRRECT out, you could hook up another power amp and speaker, to give more volume in the room while lowering the volume on your amp. If none of this is possible, then you need a bigger amp. There are many ways to wire mutiple speakers in an external cab together and still maitain the load of your amp. If you, or anyone else, would like more info on this or just need friendly advice and help, feel free to contact me.

:

Hi -- I have an old Kustom bass cabinet - an 18" from the late /60's or early 70's. I wanted to get a head for it but i could not figure out how many ohms this cabinet was -- 4, 8? If i don't know which this cabinet is, could i be safe by getting a 4 ohms head?/ or an 8 ohm head? or do i have to know really how many ohms this cabinet is?? It doesn't say anywhere on the outside of the cabinet -- i checked. Thanks
Harvey

BACK

well all im back from my broing vacation to south dakota, and no guitars their at all, gayest place ive been yet, but im back now and READY FOR QUESTIONS, MAKE EM GOOD

Re: BACK

Hey, the first question you answered....
I have a wood guitar with 5 strings... What is it worth? It might be red but all the years faded it to yellow... My grandpa owned it and it sat in the closet for 30 years.... Has an old case but it does not seem to fit right... I'm lookin at $500 +++

: well all im back from my broing vacation to south dakota, and no guitars their at all, gayest place ive been yet, but im back now and READY FOR QUESTIONS, MAKE EM GOOD

Wood is good, but is it kind of a frying pan shape? if so i think you may actaully have a very rare item indeed, i think it may be a banjo, do you live in redneck country? in the woods? and ask the tourists to 'squeel like a pig boy!' yeeeehaw.

Ya know what? We just got this new TV show on back here in the woods Hee Ha and thay have one jut like mine! But with all them purtty girls on, its hrd to consentrte on the wood... (the pan shaped one)....

: Wood is good, but is it kind of a frying pan shape? if so i think you may actaully have a very rare item indeed, i think it may be a banjo, do you live in redneck country? in the woods? and ask the tourists to 'squeel like a pig boy!' yeeeehaw.

Les Paul Lotus

Yes. i bought a Les Paul Lotus and i dont kno n e thing about it. I need sum info and also i need to get a paint chip fixed . n e help is appreciated thanx

Re: Les Paul Lotus

http://www.musicgearreview.com/review-display/6557.html

1970 Gibson classical guitar

Could you tell me what my 1970 Gibson classical guitar is worth?

Re: 1970 Gibson classical guitar

check ebay, ive never seen one also look at haarmony central, the owner reveiws sometimes tell how much they paid for it.

1970 Gibson classical guitar

Could you tell me what my 1970 Gibson classical guitar is worth?

cimar eletric guitar

cimar eletric guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : cimar eletric guitar

OT best great videoclip free download =>

Download free best videoclips movies
video clip clips avi mpg mpeg rm realplayer =>

http://it.geocities.com/gabrielemartufi/

in the section:
"Videoclips Jazz Sax" =>

-John Coltrane & Miles Davis
-Coleman Hawkins & Charlie Parker Bird
-Julian Adderley "Cannonball"
-John Coltrane
-Charlie Parker Bird & Dizzy Gillespie
-Sophie Alour
-Jay Beckenstein (Spyro Gyra)
-Boney James
and others...

Thanks, the best regards
Peace (Italy)

guitar

cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese cheese
dick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: guitar

nice song, i would join in but i dont know the words.

Re: guitar

Hey Lee,
We need some of that stuff they are takin or smokin... Would really like to get into their groove... Cheese, probably some cheese head from WS.

: nice song, i would join in but i dont know the words.

What TREMOLO KHALER can do?

I had it. on my guitar
Please tell me about that and invent me.
Thanks

Music

I Wont to know some chords because now I pleying on my gitar but I don't know how to pley.

Re: Music

got to:
http://www.typein_guitar_lesson-on/google.com

Re: Music

Or spell....

: I Wont to know some chords because now I pleying on my gitar but I don't know how to pley.

Franciscan accoustic guitar model# 0-7

Franciscan accoustic guitar model# 0-7

This popular thread has been given its own page : Franciscan accoustic guitar model# 0-7

socoro

acabei de comprar uma me-6 usada e nao tenho manual se alquem tiver por favor me passe (jucaodamontanha@hotmail.com.br)

70's rock sound(led zeppelin

i want to get aproximatly the same sound as led zeppelin on my marshall jackhammer but i can't find it anywhere and i'm a litte too newb with guitar sound and all if somebody can help me it will be real cool

Re: 70's rock sound(led zeppelin

I really wish I had a good answer but here is what I know. Jimmy used an old Harmony tube amp with a 6 inch speaker as a pre-amp. He then plugged it into a marshall amp and cranked up the reverb. The old Harmony amp acted like a distorstion pedal. You might want to do a search on a search engine and find pages that talk about how he got that sound.

: i want to get aproximatly the same sound as led zeppelin on my marshall jackhammer but i can't find it anywhere and i'm a litte too newb with guitar sound and all if somebody can help me it will be real cool

did you know he used a standard Telecaster for recording most of the first zep LP? single coil pickups!! what a killer sound, they of course had one of the best rock vocalists, one of the best bass players and THE BEST drummer ever to submit a squeeky bass pedal (since ive been loving you) incidently if you want a lesson in blues rock listen to that track, if that dont do it for you nothing will.

I agree... They pushed the limit on what they had. I once owned a music store and Jimmy Pages parents came in and bought everything Led had on my shelves... If someone played that music today, they would be called revolutionaries......

: did you know he used a standard Telecaster for recording most of the first zep LP? single coil pickups!! what a killer sound, they of course had one of the best rock vocalists, one of the best bass players and THE BEST drummer ever to submit a squeeky bass pedal (since ive been loving you) incidently if you want a lesson in blues rock listen to that track, if that dont do it for you nothing will.

The Jackhammer has too much gain to get the "Jimmy Page" sound.You might want to try a Boss SD-1 or OD-3 overdrive pedal.The sound you're looking for is the cranked(or ripped)speaker thing.Link Wray(Rumble)Muddy Waters and Frank Zappa(I am the Slime)also used small overdriven amps for a wicked sound!
Hope this helps

NEED HELP STRINGING A 6 STRING ACOUSTIC GUITER WITH NYLON STRINGS!!!

I really need help im a begginer with guiter and i dont knwo how to change my srings for my 6 string acoustic guiter please help me anyone email me at ravenray290@hotmail.com thank u

Re: NEED HELP STRINGING A 6 STRING ACOUSTIC GUITER WITH NYLON STRINGS!!!

learn how to spell GUITAR dumbass

Re: NEED HELP STRINGING A 6 STRING ACOUSTIC GUITER WITH NYLON STRINGS!!!

learn how to spell arse, arse

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.