Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2004

Archive for posts from August, 2004

ArchiveJuly 2004 ] [ ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ] [ ArchiveJune 2001 ] [ ArchiveMay 2001 ] [ ArchiveApril 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

i cant find a good sound

hello I bought my piranha from rocktron and im still havin probs making a good distortion out of it HELP! If u can send me good specifications on a custom ditortion send it to me for ideals. here are some bands i like so you know the sound im trying to get SOULFLY DEFTONES PANTERA HATEBREED SPINESHANK STATIC-X

Re: i cant find a good sound

: hello I bought my piranha from rocktron and im still havin probs making a good distortion out of it HELP! If u can send me good specifications on a custom ditortion send it to me for ideals. here are some bands i like so you know the sound im trying to get SOULFLY DEFTONES PANTERA HATEBREED SPINESHANK STATIC-X

I've never played through one of them, but in general, when using distortion try not to over run the effect. The tonal quality of the chords will become so muddy that the nuances can't be heard. An A major sounds the same as an Asus4 or Aaug. Raise the eq. on the low end if you can, or lower the eq. on the high end. This fatens the distortion without mudding it up.

UK online guitar shops

do you know any good shops online that i could browse through that ship to the UK? BTW, thanks very much lee and esp. pookster, i have finally got my mic working. Very happy indeed :)
thanx

Re: UK online guitar shops

: do you know any good shops online that i could browse through that ship to the UK? BTW, thanks very much lee and esp. pookster, i have finally got my mic working. Very happy indeed :)
: thanx

Not at this time. I'm sure there are some though. Check out all the sites you can find in a search of the net and e-mail them for info on shiping to the UK. Your welcome for the help with the mic. If we can be of any other help, you know where we are.
Have it good.

Marley Purt Drive/beegees

I need the chord chart for this song . and an mp3 thank you in advance

rp6

does anyone know how to set up the flange on on the rp6, im trying to set it to 400ms..

MORRIS MD-512 ACOUSTIC GUITAR

Can anyone give me information about a Morris MD-512 acoustic guitar???

SHOULD ARTISTS CAMPAIGN?

How do you you feel about your favourite bands and musicians throwing their $0.02 into the ring and campaigning on behalf of a presidential candidate?

Re: SHOULD ARTISTS CAMPAIGN?

: How do you you feel about your favourite bands and musicians throwing their $0.02 into the ring and campaigning on behalf of a presidential candidate?

In this case, all artists should campaign as hard as possible for change. In this great country of ours, one of our inalienable rights is the right to free speech. This adminstration does not condone or allow anything that does not agree woith their own policies and philosophies. Add to this the self serving nature of the entire adminstation from a war created out of vapor to the repair of a nation that we destroyed for no reason other than to allow Haliburton win billions of dollars in a no bid condition and to steal its oil. TO not speak up against losing your rights daily to the Patriot Act is the diservice and borders on irresponsibility. Those of us that are sleeping while this happening I urge you to please wake up and see what is going on.
DF

Today I took some teenage girls to a concert by the band Anti-Flag for the first time. It will also be the last time. While I am a conservative Christian, I like to think I'm pretty tolerant of other people's political and religious views, so I went to this concert with an open mind. But after ranting and raving about the Bush administration and the war in Iraq, the bass player started screaming, "We're going to find everyone who wants to make gay marriage illegal... We're going to find everyone who wants to take away a woman's right to choose... and their blood will be on our hands!!!" So he basically told a thousand people to go KILL all religious conservatives!!! I'm standing there in my Jesus T-shirt wondering if I'm about to get beat up!!! Yes, we have free speech in this country, but those of us who aren't mature enough to handle that freedom and still respect other people's views should keep their mouths shut! Conservative Christians may have a reputation for being "intolerant," but I've never heard a preacher tell me to murder all Democrats. I think the music industry should stick to what they know -- entertainment -- and leave the political decisions to the grown-ups.

I don't know why this is a question. In this country we are guaranteed the right to participate in the political process, whether it's going door-to-door for a candidate or putting on a rock concert. If you don't agree with an artists politics, it's up to you to decide if that will be the sole basis for your support of the artist. That's like not buying Johnny Cash's or Merle Haggard's records because they had criminal records, implying there is nothing these artists had to offer because of something they did at another time and in another place. Politics was a major foundation for many musicians during the Vietnam War...there's nothing new there. I don't see an issue here, unless it is that we all have to think, act, and support someone the same, right or wrong.

When does the example of one act become representative of all other acts?

: Today I took some teenage girls to a concert by the band Anti-Flag for the first time. It will also be the last time. While I am a conservative Christian, I like to think I'm pretty tolerant of other people's political and religious views, so I went to this concert with an open mind. But after ranting and raving about the Bush administration and the war in Iraq, the bass player started screaming, "We're going to find everyone who wants to make gay marriage illegal... We're going to find everyone who wants to take away a woman's right to choose... and their blood will be on our hands!!!" So he basically told a thousand people to go KILL all religious conservatives!!! I'm standing there in my Jesus T-shirt wondering if I'm about to get beat up!!! Yes, we have free speech in this country, but those of us who aren't mature enough to handle that freedom and still respect other people's views should keep their mouths shut! Conservative Christians may have a reputation for being "intolerant," but I've never heard a preacher tell me to murder all Democrats. I think the music industry should stick to what they know -- entertainment -- and leave the political decisions to the grown-ups.

: How do you you feel about your favourite bands and musicians throwing their $0.02 into the ring and campaigning on behalf of a presidential candidate?

Well reading the previous 2 articles and being a musician myself I would say, that as someone in the public eye and expressing my views through my music in any case, that It would be the obvious thing to do. As politics go the only people that really cares about the moral of careing for another human isn't even there(They are most probably a Docrot or Nurse etc.). Meaning that politicians rarely do everything in thier capacity just for the people. There is always some alterier motive. That is why entertainers especially should speak up as they are the real democratic winners(in the absolute essence of the word democratic), the few people chosen by millions of others for various reasons, but I think Phsycologically ultimately, because they had the guts to get up there in the first place and do something they believed in(Thier music and thier prose). They are the unofficial but passionate leaders of Everyday life. You would phone maybe once a week to vote for your favourite band/artist on radio but what a shlep to go and vote for an administration. But if a particular artist/band gives themself so much rope weaved of ignorance then sooner or later the trap door must give and the artist/band's last song has sung

PS Just something to think about... What if all voting could be done @ ATM's

They have as much right, and responsibility, to exercize free speach as any American.

The way I see it, artists should have the freedom to represent what they believe in. They play the music they want to, they dress how they want to. Everyone else on the planet acts how they want.
Artists have the same ideals and morals as any one else. As they are in the public eye 24/7 thanks to MTV and the internet, why not exercise their beliefs to the public and represent what they believe is right?

I just received the newsletter and have decided to respond BEFORE I view any other responses, so this is in no way a reply to anyone else (though I may do that later, opinionated **** that I am).

Should artists campaign, and are they qualified?

Everyone is qualified to have an opinion, which is why everyone (at least those over 18 who are registered) can vote. The question is really, "Should they make their opinion public?", since when they make a statement all the non-famous hear it. In answer to that question, they should do whatever they feel comfortable with, which is the answer to the first question, also.

The listening public, on the other hand, must be smart enough to have REASONED opinions and not allow themselves to be unduly influenced by an UNreasoned opinion...though they need to keep an open mind in case Bruce (or others) have something reasonable to say.

Artists throwing support to a specific candidate is an old tradition; much older than the 1960s, when it was commonplace.

I think a more relevant question is: Why don't more artists who are politically concerned be even more active and vocal about their views? Ani diFranco opposes Mr. Bush, for example, but who does she support? Another example are all the famous folks who support the Libertarian movement (Staind, Drew Carey, Clint Eastwood, etc.) but never make an issue of coming forward in support of the Libertarian candidate. What about those who support Nader or the Greens, but don't ask their fans to at least sign ballot access petitions to allow voters more options?

I believe it was Socrates who said (paraphrased): If you don't become politically involved, you will ultimately be governed by your inferiors.

--
David M. McLean
Skinny Devil Music Lab
http://www.skinnydevil.com

While there are many bands and artists that have greatly influenced the music I listen to, compose/write and play, they have no political influence over me. Therefore, I have no feelings or opinions of thier "2 cents" in supporting or rebuking a presidential candidate. TV ads, companies and groups or individual persons affiliated with each candidates party doesn't either. Thier support for an individual hopefull is usally based on the assumtion that they will in some way benifit , and sometimes they do, if that person wins.

The capaigning, when you get right down to it, is a popularity contest. Each cadidate says what they think people want to hear and makes promisses they don't know if they can (and some they know they can't) keep, while pointing out thier parties pros and the cons of the other parties candidate.

It reminds me of my children when something happened and I found out. As I confronted the guilty one they would start telling me things the others done, which had nothing to do with what they did, trying to get thier self out of trouble by making what the others done look worse than what they did. "Well they did this!" back and forth "So you did that!" blowing it out of perportion. And my favorite one of all, "You know what else they done!?". If I didn't know, thier dumba** was fixing to tell me. The funny thing is, when they finally growed up, they asked me how I knew every thing they did growing up...sound familier.

So, what does influence me politicaly? I'd bet you would like to know. Then again you may not care.

Anyway, it's like buying something from any store or business. Now let's be honest here, politics IS big business. They all say thier products are better will do more than the others, when they both do the same thing and were probably made in the same factory. Where I buy it and what I pay for it is not as important as who made it and what it does. If the salesman who talked me into buying it lied to me just to make a sale, that's one thing. If I liked the product and was pleased with it's perfomance, I'll simply go to another person or store to buy it again. I already know he will lie to me. But if the company that made it lied to me about it and thier product didn't do what they said it would and they won't stand behind thier work or thier word, that's another. I will never buy anything from that company again. I would rather loose the money foolishly than let them have it.

So I like to do some research and get the facts about things for my self. When it comes to politics, I listen to what's being said, but I pay careful attention to what's not being said. Then I can find out the truth in what's "really" being said. If I was to say, "When I look upon your face time stands still.", what's not being said is, "You have a face that can stop time." While both statements are in fact being said and make the same point, you will have to be the judge as to which one I meant and you would have to know me personaly to do that. Now I am not saying to question everything someone says. Niether am I saying there is always an underlying statement to what someone says. If I said, "I can jump off the top of the Empire State building and fly.", I would be telling you the truth. But what I did not say is, "straight down to the sidewalk below". It all depends on how I define the word "FLY". This time all you will need to do is wait for me to jump. Then decide if I "flew" to my death or "fell" to my death. The outcome is the same, I'm still dead. No matter how I defined the word fly. Right? It really doesn't matter what someone says or how sincere they say it. Like someone telling thier spouse how much they love them all day, then cheating on them at night. You can say anything you want, but the "true person" that you are is seen in what you do.

I look at a "company's" past history and track record to see if it tells the truth about the "things" they want me to buy. Does the company say what its product will do and do the products do what the company says they will? If not, I ain't buying it from them.

I know you probably think I am completly full of...you know what. That's ok, who knows, maybe I am. Besides it doesn't matter what you think of me, only what I think of me. By being a realist, I respect your right to have an opinion. It is with great regret, however, that at this time in my opinion, and it is ONLY MY opinion, I can't decide which "company" is telling the truth about thier "product". So I guess when "shopping day" comes, I won't be buying.

I guess they have the right to their opinion as much as anyone else. But I don't think they should express it in this way. I'll not be burning any of the music I have now but you can rest assured I'll not purchase any if I'm aware they have participated in this way.

Tom Delonge's settings

Does anyone know what Tom's settings on his mesa triple rectifier and his marshall jcm 900 are?

Recording

Does anyone know how to get a good sound when recording with a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier

Re: Recording

How are you trying to record the sound now? Is the amp the only thing being recorded? Or are there other amps and drums being laid at the same time?

If you only recording the one amp and you have a good mic, place it in the room about 3 feet away from the amp in front of it. If you are playing real loud, move it farther away so it won't distort the mikes signal.

: Does anyone know how to get a good sound when recording with a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier

shrinkage

I have a 80
s model golden anniversary model balladeer it wasn't cheap either....The rosette is cracked and I think it is probably because of the case...It has been fixed once and now needs it again...The sound of this guitar is remarkable and I will have it fixed as soon as I get up courage.My dad bought it for me over 29 years ago..I am so afraid something will happen to it..Lee

Re: shrinkage

Replacing a rosette is delicate work man. I'd be 'fraid too. Especially if it had a sentimental value as well as being an expensive one.
It may be getting to dry and need a moistureizing treatment from time to time.
Clear tung oil is the best stuff I've found for treating wood, esp. rosewood, to keep it form drying out and cracking. Don't get it on the strings though, it will kill them instantly. So I do this when the strings need changing anyway. It will darken the wood just a little, so try to find the "pure clear type". I use it on the fingerboards (except those that have a clear coat of varnish) of all my guitars. Also, on the bribge and rosettes of my acoustics. I rub them down real good every 4 months or so. More during a dry spell. With the old srtings still on it, lay the guitar on its back and use a soft cotton cloth to apply it to the fingerboard and bridge. Get 'em fairly wet, but don't over do it. If the rosette is wood also, rub a little around the edge of the sound hole, but try not to get to much inside the hole on the top and don't let it drip on the inside of the back. It will soak into the wood and cause a stain under a clear or transparent finish around the rosette or on the back. Wipe off any excess oil that gets on the finish with a cotton cloth. Getteing it on the finish will make it sticky, and I usually do get it on it. That's why I use a soft cotton cloth, so I can go ahead and wipe the stuff on the finish off without worrying about scratching it. Then wait 24hrs and let the wood soak up the tung oil. Murphy's (or any good brand) oil soap is good to clean the body, back of neck and headstock with. After cleaning the guitar "body" with oil soap, if it still feels a little sticky, use a good brand of guitar polish, or furniture polish and go over the body, back of neck and headstock. Put the polish on a cloth to apply it and try not to get the polish on the fret board and bridge. The tung oil may inter-react with the polish if it is not dry enough and cause a discouloration of the wood. The fret board and bridge may feel a little sticky for a few days untill the tung oil dries good, but this is better that having them crack from being to dry. Put on a new set of strings and play like there ain't no tomorrow.

: I have a 80
: s model golden anniversary model balladeer it wasn't cheap either....The rosette is cracked and I think it is probably because of the case...It has been fixed once and now needs it again...The sound of this guitar is remarkable and I will have it fixed as soon as I get up courage.My dad bought it for me over 29 years ago..I am so afraid something will happen to it..Lee

Re: shrinkage

You could buy a hydrator that goes in the sound hole to keep the inside from getting to dry. I have them, but I still treat the fingerboard and bridge with tung oil.

: I have a 80
: s model golden anniversary model balladeer it wasn't cheap either....The rosette is cracked and I think it is probably because of the case...It has been fixed once and now needs it again...The sound of this guitar is remarkable and I will have it fixed as soon as I get up courage.My dad bought it for me over 29 years ago..I am so afraid something will happen to it..Lee

guitar

Sorry I meant 20 years ago

cara belajar bermain guitar

soory i don't can to spec inglis
h

Re: cara belajar bermain guitar

: soory i don't can to spec inglis
: h

Re: cara belajar bermain guitar

tolong berikan jawaban tentang cara bermain guitar yg baik dan achord2nya kalau boleh diktatnya

Re: cara belajar bermain bass

: tolong berikan jawaban tentang cara bermain bass yg baik dan achord2nya kalau boleh diktatnya

Guitarist Radio is looking for great guitarists

Are you an outstanding guitarist with some instrumental recordings? Would you like to be considered from airplay on Guitarist Radio at http://www.artistlaunch.com/artist8.asp?artistid=5695
Email us at radiofreetunes@yahoo.com with a URL link to your music and we will give you a listen.

Guitarist Radio is part of the Radio Free Tunes network of internet radio stations hosted by Artistlaunch.com with listeners in 162 countries
http://www.radiofreetunes.com

ZOOM505ii

Does anyone know where i can find a list of different setups for my zoom 505 ii pedal

BC Rich Mocking Bird

I have a friend that is wanting to unload one. He asked me to see if anyone here might be interested. The Bird is red, w/Foyd Rose & locking nut, the rest is standard. It has a case, but its not the right one. I havent seen it since I set it up for him about a year ago. At that time it looked fresh, played and sounded real good. Action and intonation was killer. I balanced out the trem, set the pitch on the neck and reworked the ground. I tried to get him to let me shield it out, but he didn't understand what good that would do. I told him I would post it to see what might be offered, so here it is. I'll post more when he brings it to me. Going to put on new strings and balance the trem again, you know how them Floyds are.

Re: BC Rich Mocking Bird

WHAT THE PRICE.

Aria A588

I have recently obtained an Aria A588. Does anyone know when produced, how much its worth or anything else about it? Thanks.

Guitar History?

I just bought a Washburn Nuno Bettencourt Model guitar. The searial number is 6052643. It's ivory white with a gloss finish. 1 knob (volume) and a whammy bar. It has Washburn pickups 2 neck and 2 body. Does anybody know what the history of this guitar is, is it a N1, 2, 3, or 4, and how much it is worth. I paid $159 Cdn with case included. Please email me at wilsonmatthewf@yahoo.com . Thank you.

Burns Black Bison Bass

Want to buy original 1962/64 bass

What do ya think of the Fender SRV stratocastor?

It runs about $1300.00- Is it worth it or is there a better strat for blues and rock jams?

Lotus Classical/Folk Guitar

Hi,
Trying to find out the year and value of the Lotus 6-string guitar. From what I can tell, it was made in Korea. Model No. 40+36. Thank

Lotus Classical/Folk Guitar

Hi,
Trying to find out the year and value of the Lotus 6-string guitar. From what I can tell, it was made in China.Model No. 40+36. Thank you.

Re: Lotus Classical/Folk Guitar

: I had a Lotus les paul copy as my first guitar back around 76 or 77. It cost less than 125.00 at the time and I ended up trading it for a used Ibanez LP copy because the the cord wouldn't stay plugged in and sawdust kept comming out of the plug. It wasn't much better than a Wal-Mart guitar.

acoustic tabs for begginers

Does any one know were i may get tabs that are easy to learn for my accoustic guitar that sound cool. this is my first guitar and I'm tired of playing "twinkle twinkle". LOL

Re: acoustic tabs for begginers

: Does any one know were i may get tabs that are easy to learn for my accoustic guitar that sound cool. this is my first guitar and I'm tired of playing "twinkle twinkle". LOL

www.tabrobot.com I use this one a lot. It has a good search engine to lots of links.

http://www.tabs4acoustic.com/uk

it's my favorite acoustic ressource, accurate tabs and it's easy to play ;-)

i use mxtabs.net mostly

7 nation army first line.
Play on top string also known as the A string.
Some people know it as 5 5 8 5 3 1 0
But others know it as 7 7 10 7 5 3 2.
But if they aretoo hard than do smoke on the water which is also played on the top string.
Here it is: 0 3 5 0 3 6 5 0 3 5 3 0 0.
Hope that helped!

Dude! you rock! Thanks!!

: 7 nation army first line.
: Play on top string also known as the A string.
: Some people know it as 5 5 8 5 3 1 0
: But others know it as 7 7 10 7 5 3 2.
: But if they aretoo hard than do smoke on the water which is also played on the top string.
: Here it is: 0 3 5 0 3 6 5 0 3 5 3 0 0.
: Hope that helped!

THIS Helped! YOU ROCK!

go to google typ in bass tabs and then click on the one that says 25000 bass tabs when u get to the site go to the top and click on electric

DEMOCRATS ARE ALL CHILD MOLESTERS

Drive-by-shootings

Madonna and Britney making out

Porn

HARD Drugs...

They don't care how many kids they hurt!

But they care about animals!!!!!

Re: DEMOCRATS ARE ALL CHILD MOLESTERS

: Last drive by shooting I know of (by a party member for a particular political party, the republicans) was G. Gordon Liddy shooting out spot lites so they could break into the Watergate building for Pres. Nixon.

I don't know about them hurting kids, but I do know that Newt Gingrich served his wife with divorce papers while she was on her death bet in the hospital with cancer. I'm pretty sure his kids were hurt by that.

How about Bush and Blair "making out" since Britain is probably the only country who will have anything to do with the U.S. (That's probably because their scared we'll invade them if they piss off the current administration. Why not? Bin Laden probably isn't there either just like he isn't in Iraq. But that didn't stop us. Maybe this should be the porn retort, because this all seems pretty obscene to most people.

By the way, I voted for Reagan, and Bush.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.