Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2004

Archive for posts from August, 2004

ArchiveJuly 2004 ] [ ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ] [ ArchiveJune 2001 ] [ ArchiveMay 2001 ] [ ArchiveApril 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Eliminating feedback in a Single coil - stompbox - tube hybrid loop

Here's my rig: Electric Fender guitar w/ single coils through a Carl Martin Crunch Drive stompbox into a Marshall AVT100 tube-hybrid amp. Due to electromagnetic interference, I am getting a LOT of buzz and noise from the amp. I have isolated part of the problem in the single coils because the hum goes away with the direction I point the face of the guitar. However, when I switch on the drive pedal, the buzz gets extremely LOUD and will not dissipate. What can I do to fix this problem? I have heard of placing a filter or EQ effect after the drive box... What will solve my problem?

Re: Eliminating feedback in a Single coil - stompbox - tube hybrid loop

: Here's my rig: Electric Fender guitar w/ single coils through a Carl Martin Crunch Drive stompbox into a Marshall AVT100 tube-hybrid amp. Due to electromagnetic interference, I am getting a LOT of buzz and noise from the amp. I have isolated part of the problem in the single coils because the hum goes away with the direction I point the face of the guitar. However, when I switch on the drive pedal, the buzz gets extremely LOUD and will not dissipate. What can I do to fix this problem? I have heard of placing a filter or EQ effect after the drive box... What will solve my problem?

That will help. You will have to find the frequency of the feedback and turn the eq down in that range or set the filter to block it out of the signal. The circuitry that the overdrive uses folds the signal over on itself repeatedly and amplifies it slightly to achieve the effect. Therfore any noise or feedback that comes from the guitar is also folded over and amplified. Shielding the guitar cavities with copper foil and making sure the ground is well connected thru out is the best thing to help solve this. Shielding kits are relativly inexpensive, $10-$15 + s&h. Check out www.Carvin.com (or any other guitar parts site) I think they get $9.99 for the kit and s&h is $7.99 for small parts no matter how much your order is. If you can invest in a set of double stacked humbucking pickups that will really help. They are the same size as regular Strat pickups and will fit right in the pickguard, but work like double humbuckers. The shielding is easy to install, esp. on a Strat, and the pickups are just a matter of matching the wires to where they are now. Feel free to e-mail me for more detailed istuctions if you decide to shield it out.

input problems

i have a crate gtx 65w and the input is busted anytime i plug the cord and the the amp crackles and eventually the sound goes to a murmmur and there is a loud buzz in the background. i want to know if there are anyhome remedies...HELP ME PLEASE

Re: input problems

: i have a crate gtx 65w and the input is busted anytime i plug the cord and the the amp crackles and eventually the sound goes to a murmmur and there is a loud buzz in the background. i want to know if there are anyhome remedies...HELP ME PLEASE

You can try cleaning it with pot or (not that kind of pot..lol) tuner cleaning spray. It's usually available at most guitar stores or Radio Shacks. With the amp turned off, spray the jack real good inside, then spray the plug. While the plug and jack are still wet, insert the plug in the jack and rotate it back and forth several times.

I use a cotton cleaning swab for a .22 cal. rifle from time to time to clean jacks that are real bad. Care must be exercised with the .22 swab though, do not twist it back and forth, it can hang up on the inside of the jack and damage it. Soak the swab with spray and push it straight in the jack, then pull it straight back out with no twisting motion, a few times. It may be a little hard to push in, so if necessary you can wiggle it a little bit, but not to much. Use a firm pressure, but don't use to much force. If it bottoms out you will feel it and it could break if it's plastic. ONLY use the cotton swab, not the wire one or the one that uses them little square pieces of cloth. If any of the wires break off in the jack it's @!*@# and you don't want to lose one of those square cloths in there either.

Hope this helps.

LEE

lee man where the hell are you in these forums, ur like the main show with gibsons, half these questions are just for you.

shut up trevor

stop kissing his ass, ur fucking annoying

Re: shut up trevor

and you can lick my balls

: stop kissing his ass, ur fucking annoying

Sites with Charvel/Jackson info

No offence taken on my part man. No insults intended either, my appoligies if so. I only stated what the dealers and repairmens identification books (not available to the public) say about the inquirey. Check these out when you have time. Note the six didgit ser. #. Be sure to read about the plates that got away too.

www.jacksonguitars.com

www.jacksonmuseum.com

www.sandimascharvel.com

Cool Jimi Hendrix type effects pedal sites!

I recently came across a great Hendrix site that has links to many Jimi Hendrix related sites,including links to Hendrix type pedals sites in the(sound)section.check it out at: www.hendrix-links.de

Guitar for sale

i have a silvertone paul stanley apocolypse signature guitar for sale, if any body is interested email me. thanks.

nak belajar lead gita

saya ingin sekali jago memainkan melodi gitar tapi saya blum begitu menguasai tentang lead gita jadi bagi para guru yang mau mengajarkan saya saya sangat berterimakasih sekali

Re: nak belajar lead gita

: saya ingin sekali jago memainkan melodi gitar tapi saya blum begitu menguasai tentang lead gita jadi bagi para guru yang mau mengajarkan saya saya sangat berterimakasih sekali tapi apakah saya harus bayar, klo bayar saya mendingan ngga jadi

zoom 1010 patches

I would like to know zoom 1010 patches for the Steve Vai solo guitar sound. Does anyone know how to adjust the parameters?

Jackson J 80c pickups USA made

Does anyone have any wireing diagrams for Jackson J80c pickups?

tolong ya?

boleh tolong carikan guitar chords ten to five??

renow 400

please! the manuals of renow 400 urgent! thanks.

belajar main gitar

tolong di bantu say mau belajar main gitar

Re: belajar melodi

: tolong di bantu say mau belajar main gitar dan melodi dan tekhnik2 bermai melodi.

Re: belajar main gitar

: ajar la main gitar...dah lame nak blajar tapi tak de sape yg nak ajar...sian kite tau..

belajar gitar

ajari main gitar yang bener dong!!!

Re: belajar gitar

para master gitar nm gue vicky asl dari binjai gue pengen blajar lead gitar elecktrik ada gak yang mau ngajarian saya ya bagi para master gitar yang mau gajarin sayya hub aja langsung ke no hp 081361679047

request

cariin anyer 10 maret nya Slank donk tuh lagu enak banget !! please

: ajari main gitar yang bener dong!!!

cara ngerambas / ritem guitar untuk 3/4, 2/4, 4/4, 6/8
bagaimana? ajarin dong makasih

crate gx-80 problem

crate gx-80 problem

This popular thread has been given its own page : crate gx-80 problem

White Les Pauls

This is a follow up to a question I asked back in July about White Gibson Les Pauls. It turns out that the new white LP Studio I purchased had some finish rub off on the back. The dealer I purchased it from allowed me to send it back and sent me a new one. Hope this helps anyone who might have a finish issue with a new Les Paul. Even the best make mistakes sometimes.

Also, thanks to "Guitarman". The Kit scratch remover works great. It removed just about all of the scratches that a Meguiars product called "Scratch X" left behind. Thanks for the tip.

Sound proofing

After a visit from the boys in blue during our last practice, I am looking for some inexpensive ways to sound proof the garage that we practice in. For almost two years we have practiced with the mains and subwoofers on the outside of the garage, instruments on the inside and this is the first time in 2 years and change that we had a visit like this. Need to keep peace in the neighborhood......any help would be appreciated!!

Re: Sound proofing

I have used egg crate mattress foam before. Like the kind that goes on top of a mattress to sleep on. It's not as good as regular sound proofing foam, but it works to some degree. Get the 4" thick, firm support, blue kind if you can find it. Musicians Friend sells the regular studio foam, but it's expensive. $220.oo-$250.oo for a 8' X 12' wall.

: After a visit from the boys in blue during our last practice, I am looking for some inexpensive ways to sound proof the garage that we practice in. For almost two years we have practiced with the mains and subwoofers on the outside of the garage, instruments on the inside and this is the first time in 2 years and change that we had a visit like this. Need to keep peace in the neighborhood......any help would be appreciated!!

BEST PEDAL BOARD

can someone here tell me what the strongest and most reliable pedal board is for under $70? thank you

information on a fg-340Tyamaha guitar

would like to know if you have any imformation on this instrument -FG-340T Yamaha Guitar

What kind of guitar do I have?

I received my grandpa's guitar a several years ago when he died. There are no brand logos or markings anywhere on the guitar. It is an old archtop. on the back side of the head it says "Model No. 319.12401001 Made in U.S.A." Inside the body of the guitar are stamps with the number 2854 12401 and another stamp that says F71FS. There are also the handwritten initials "KF". If you know what I've got could you please let me know!

Radiotone cello acoustic

1930s Radiotone cello acoustic.
Is this a guitar?
It was Jack Mckechnie's first guitar - former guitarist with the Hedley Ward Trio.
Any guitar info/photos/reminiscences etc please,
Thanking you in anticipation for your help.
Ronald John Saunders

trying to find out what my guitar is worth

can anyone help me out there in guitar land? Its a brand new used for a week, alvarez, acoustic , electric ..serial no.116273 model no. FD6DDL

daion guitars

I have a 12string heritage 78' guitar..any idea how much it's worth? it's in great shape...

CORT, EARTH 900

hey are the cort earth 900'S very good guitars?

Re: CORT, EARTH 900

I have a Cort 100F acoustic/electric with solid sitka spruce top, rosewood bridge, sides and two piece back, dark mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard. Gold Grover tuners with tortoise shell buttons and Fishman Classic IV electronics. I know it's not as top of the line as the 900, but it is a really great guitar. It has a unique tone and resonance that's very mellow, unplugged or amped. I did the set up myself, 3/64" string action @ the 12th fret and no fret noise whether playing it hard or soft. The intonation is 1/20th of 1 cent sharp at the 20th fret. I've heard people say they are cheap junk and worthless, but I have had no problem owning mine. If the 900 you are asking about is half the guitar of mine, you will be happy with it.

: hey are the cort earth 900'S very good guitars?

Re: CORT, EARTH 900

: I have a Cort 100F acoustic/electric with solid sitka spruce top, rosewood bridge, sides and two piece back, dark mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard. Gold Grover tuners with tortoise shell buttons and Fishman Classic IV electronics. I know it's not as top of the line as the 900, but it is a really great guitar. It has a unique tone and resonance that's very mellow, unplugged or amped. I did the set up myself, 3/64" string action @ the 12th fret and no fret noise whether playing it hard or soft. The intonation is 1/20th of 1 cent sharp at the 20th fret. I've heard people say they are cheap junk and worthless, but I have had no problem owning mine. If the 900 you are asking about is half the guitar of mine, you will be happy with it.

: : hey are the cort earth 900'S very good guitars?

cool thanks, helps a lot

How Much is my guitar worth

I have a Fender American Fat Strat, with an aftermarket Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Humbucker. It also has two single coil pickups, (i believe they are the Tex-Mex's). It is a sea/mint green with a pearloid pickguard. The serial number is Z2224797. If anyone can appraise this guitar or let me know its worth i would greatly appreciate it!

Re: How Much is my guitar worth

: I have a Fender American Fat Strat, with an aftermarket Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Humbucker. It also has two single coil pickups, (i believe they are the Tex-Mex's). It is a sea/mint green with a pearloid pickguard. The serial number is Z2224797. If anyone can appraise this guitar or let me know its worth i would greatly appreciate it!

BTW-i am not usre but someone told me the retail value on this guitar is $1400, are they correct?

Re: How Much is my guitar worth

: I have a 1975 ibanez silver series electric guitar pearl white with humbucking pickups if u could find out how much my guitar is that would be great
thanks

How Much is my guitar worth

hey i got a ibanez roadster series two with 2 ibanez pick ups the seriesl # is H860022
an answer would very helpful .. thanks

Alvarez Classic Guitar Model 5011

Hello- I own an Alvarez Classic Guitar model 5011, made in Japan, that I bought in 1971. Does anyone have any information on this instrument as to current value, construction materials, whether it's still being made, current model equivalents?

Takamine Santa Fe ESF40C

Hey, everyone. I'm looking for a Takamine Santa Fe ESF40C. If you know of any place to purchase one, or anyone who's looking to sell their's, please e-mail me or reply. Thanks so much!

Re: Takamine Santa Fe ESF40C

Hmmm,...possibly. I have two. Let's talk.

Hi, just caught this post from a search engine. VERY interested in an esf40c...e-mail SINEP696@hotmail.com

Have you fixed up yet for a Takamine ESF 40 C. If not I have one. regards John

SELLING GNX3 workstation digitech

hardly used, original everything GNX3 GeNetX guitar workstation. Guitar floor processor with built-in hands free digital 8-track recorder. I need offers, i have aim - eyelesspunk and msn - rkshort@hotmail.com

please respond

Re: SELLING GNX3 workstation digitech

up

slide guitar

i just bought a finger slide for 6 string guitar.
Where do i start? should I change tuning?

Re: slide guitar

No, don't change tuning. If you know your scales, just play plat them the same way. Only use the slide instead of your fingers. Starting on the D string second fret(E note), go up one step, up one step then up a half step, up one step, up one step, up one step and then up a half step. You have just played the Major scale of E. You should have played 8 notes in it. This is an Octave in the scale of E. When you get to the top you should be on the 14th fret of the D string, an E note one Octave above the note you started with. You can use this same scale in any Major Key. If you need more help with these scales e-mail me.

: i just bought a finger slide for 6 string guitar.
: Where do i start? should I change tuning?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.