Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2004

Archive for posts from August, 2004

ArchiveJuly 2004 ] [ ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ] [ ArchiveJune 2001 ] [ ArchiveMay 2001 ] [ ArchiveApril 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

can someone here tell me what the strongest and most reliable pedal board is for under $70? thank yo

can someone here tell me what the strongest and most reliable pedal board is for under $80? thank you

_?TUNING?_

What is the difference between tuning down a half step,drop D, and tuning down a full step? What is the fret difference? I am really confused. Can someone please explain all of this to me? thanks

Re: _?TUNING?_

Here's how notes work. A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#....over and over. A half step is the incriment between A and A# or B and C (E and F) So if you tune down a half step you're tuning to D# or E flat. Tune down a full step and you're tuning down to D. And so forth.

P.S.

Drop D is where you only tune the low E string down to a D and leave the rest tuned up the way they're supposed to be when tuned to E.

When tuning to "drop D" only the sixth string is dropped down one step. When tuning down a "full step" all of the strings are tuned down a full step. When tuning down a "half step" all the strings are tuned down a half step. If you have a Capo, place it on the second fret of the neck and tune all six strings of the guitar to standard pitch (440) tuning. When you take the capo off, the guitar will be tuned a whole step down. If the capo is placed on the first fret and tuned to 440, it will be a half step down when removed.

Normal tuning: 1=e, 2=B, 3=G, 4=D, 5=A, 6=E

A half step down: 1=D#, 2=Bb, 3=F#, 4=C#, 5=G#, 6=F#,

A whole step down: 1=D, 2=A, 3=F, 4=C, 5=G, 6=D,

Drop D tuning: 1=e, 2=B, 3=G, 4=D, 5=A, 6=D,

The 4th, 5th and 6th strings played open make a D5 chord when tuned to drop D.
Move up the neck to the second fret and you have a E5 chord.
Up another half and it is a F5 chord and so on.

: What is the difference between tuning down a half step,drop D, and tuning down a full step? What is the fret difference? I am really confused. Can someone please explain all of this to me? thanks

woah thanks a lot!!

74800-L56 framus 6 string electric

this guitar has 3 pickups, volume, bass,and trebel controls,a pickup control that switches from 1 to 2 to 3 and to 1-3. all in ivory color. it was gold and orange sunburst in color, but now is wood tone, if anyone has any info on this guitar, please let me know ....scotty....

Rickenbacker Banjoline

Rickenbacker Banjoline

This popular thread has been given its own page : Rickenbacker Banjoline

Charvel guitar

I would like some info about my Charvel serial # c 902259, Age model # etc. it is a neck thru, 24 fret w/ sharkfin inlays, Jackson pickups

Re: Charvel guitar

Check out this web site:
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/resources/serial_numbers.html

Copy and paste it in your browser. Your serial # doesn't seem to be listed between 1982 and 2001, so it was either made before or after this time. From '84 to '86 all the authentic USA made Charvel guitars had a four digit number. Even though they all say "Made in USA" on them, after '86 only a few were made in the US, the rest in Ontario Canada. It could be a pre-serial #, but I doubt it. Wish I had better news.

Your description fits a lot of models. Can you be more specific? I'll see what I can find.

: I would like some info about my Charvel serial # c 902259, Age model # etc. it is a neck thru, 24 fret w/ sharkfin inlays, Jackson pickups

My charvel serial # is 223690. I was looking for some info on it like when it was made, where it was made, what the original color was.

Here is another site you should check out:

http://www.jacksoncharvelworld.net/Identify.html

: I would like some info about my Charvel serial # c 902259, Age model # etc. it is a neck thru, 24 fret w/ sharkfin inlays, Jackson pickups

Re: Charvel necks

: I would like some info about my Charvel neck.Can you tell what year necks were made by a butt stamp that reads/US FGH.

Very Old Guitar (What is it?)

Very Old Guitar (What is it?)

This popular thread has been given its own page : Very Old Guitar (What is it?)

Looking for fellow musicians

Just moved to the Williamstown, MA area and would love to meet some musicians to jam with. Been playing for many years and like many diferent styles of music. I especially like blues dudes like Stevie Ray Vaughn, Robben Ford, Johnny Winters, BB King, etc.
Contact me if you want to jam and have a good fellowship time playing music. BTW, I play lead & rythm guitar and also bass.

NFG Guitar settings?

hey, if any one knows how i could get a smiler sound to NFG's that wud be great help

thankyou

Re: NFG Guitar settings?

go on holiday for 2 weeks and someone has stolen my identity! call yourself something else!!

guitar

i need a gibson les paul custom

Re: guitar

lol thats good, dont we all

: i need a gibson les paul custom

Re: guitar

customs are nice, but a '59 standard....ummm now your talking.

FOR SALE - vintage Hagstrom Viking IN (1N) sunburst

FOR SALE - vintage Hagstrom Viking IN  (1N) sunburst

This popular thread has been given its own page : FOR SALE - vintage Hagstrom Viking IN (1N) sunburst

SG pickups

Does anybody know what kind of pickups the Gibson SG has? For that matter what kind are the Epiphones? I bought an Epiphone SG and the pickups are different than the Gibsons. Or at least the Gibson has covers. Mine are open. My guitar sounds great as is, just thought I might be able to improve the sound with a pickup change.

Re: SG pickups

Most Gibsons and Epiphones are mohogany necks and bodies. The bodies are sometimes swamp ash, for a lighter feel and somtimes they just use select hard wood. The pickups can vary though. Which one did you get?

: Does anybody know what kind of pickups the Gibson SG has? For that matter what kind are the Epiphones? I bought an Epiphone SG and the pickups are different than the Gibsons. Or at least the Gibson has covers. Mine are open. My guitar sounds great as is, just thought I might be able to improve the sound with a pickup change.

I am not sure what you mean by "which one did you get" , but the humbuckers are black, non adjustable. The guitar is ivory colored, black pickguard, 4 knobs, with a ebony colored fretboard, though the sides of the board look like mahogany. The guitar cost, on sale, $200, probably because the tone pot was bent slightly. The guy at the store said it was poplar, but he didn't sound completely sure. I'd guess from the overall sound it probably is poplar, since It sounds a bit similar to a Strat made of poplar, which I tried. I also saw Strats that were made of Ash, which sounded different than the poplar Strats.
: Most Gibsons and Epiphones are mohogany necks and bodies. The bodies are sometimes swamp ash, for a lighter feel and somtimes they just use select hard wood. The pickups can vary though. Which one did you get?

: : Does anybody know what kind of pickups the Gibson SG has? For that matter what kind are the Epiphones? I bought an Epiphone SG and the pickups are different than the Gibsons. Or at least the Gibson has covers. Mine are open. My guitar sounds great as is, just thought I might be able to improve the sound with a pickup change.

Which model of guitar did you get? G 310, G 400, etc.

Poplar wood is one of the "select" hard woods they use. It's a good wood for guitars, light and stable, but Ash gives a better resonance or tone. Mohogany is a real hard and heavy wood that gives sustain and thick resonance. This of coarse depends on what the player is looking for and what's being played.

There are several types of pickups, each have a different sound. The pickup may not sound the same on the same type of guitar made of a different type of wood. This is because the woods density tends to effect the sound of the strings and the amount of vibration the pickup "picks up" from the body. Try a different pickup and see if it,s to your liking. There not that hard to install.

: I am not sure what you mean by "which one did you get" , but the humbuckers are black, non adjustable. The guitar is ivory colored, black pickguard, 4 knobs, with a ebony colored fretboard, though the sides of the board look like mahogany. The guitar cost, on sale, $200, probably because the tone pot was bent slightly. The guy at the store said it was poplar, but he didn't sound completely sure. I'd guess from the overall sound it probably is poplar, since It sounds a bit similar to a Strat made of poplar, which I tried. I also saw Strats that were made of Ash, which sounded different than the poplar Strats.
: : Most Gibsons and Epiphones are mohogany necks and bodies. The bodies are sometimes swamp ash, for a lighter feel and somtimes they just use select hard wood. The pickups can vary though. Which one did you get?

: : : Does anybody know what kind of pickups the Gibson SG has? For that matter what kind are the Epiphones? I bought an Epiphone SG and the pickups are different than the Gibsons. Or at least the Gibson has covers. Mine are open. My guitar sounds great as is, just thought I might be able to improve the sound with a pickup change.

Which model of guitar did you get? G 310, G 400, etc.

Poplar wood is one of the "select" hard woods they use. It's a good wood for guitars, light and stable, but Ash gives a better resonance or tone. Mohogany is a real hard and heavy wood that gives sustain and thick resonance. This of coarse depends on what the player is looking for and what's being played.

There are several types of pickups, each have a different sound. The pickup may not sound the same on the same type of guitar made of a different type of wood. This is because the woods density tends to effect the sound of the strings and the amount of vibration the pickup "picks up" from the body. Try a different pickup and see if it,s to your liking. There not that hard to install.

: I am not sure what you mean by "which one did you get" , but the humbuckers are black, non adjustable. The guitar is ivory colored, black pickguard, 4 knobs, with a ebony colored fretboard, though the sides of the board look like mahogany. The guitar cost, on sale, $200, probably because the tone pot was bent slightly. The guy at the store said it was poplar, but he didn't sound completely sure. I'd guess from the overall sound it probably is poplar, since It sounds a bit similar to a Strat made of poplar, which I tried. I also saw Strats that were made of Ash, which sounded different than the poplar Strats.
: : Most Gibsons and Epiphones are mohogany necks and bodies. The bodies are sometimes swamp ash, for a lighter feel and somtimes they just use select hard wood. The pickups can vary though. Which one did you get?

: : : Does anybody know what kind of pickups the Gibson SG has? For that matter what kind are the Epiphones? I bought an Epiphone SG and the pickups are different than the Gibsons. Or at least the Gibson has covers. Mine are open. My guitar sounds great as is, just thought I might be able to improve the sound with a pickup change.

: I am not sure what you mean by "which one did yo
u get" , but the humbuckers are black, non adjustable. The guitar is ivory colored, black pickguard, 4 knobs, with a ebony colored fretboard, though the sides of the board look like mahogany. The guitar cost, on sale, $200, probably because the tone pot was bent slightly. The guy at the store said it was poplar, but he didn't sound completely sure. I'd guess from the overall sound it probably is poplar, since It sounds a bit similar to a Strat made of poplar, which I tried. I also saw Strats that were made of Ash, which sounded different than the poplar Strats.

perhaps i can help a little with this.. different Epi SGs have different pickups and stuff.
also, gibson SGs have different pickups on them too, so it depends what the particular type is. on the bottom of the pickup it sometimes will have a number to identify it.
generally, the pickups without the chrome covers on (or gold) are usually not the "better" ones, but thats all a matter of taste anyhow. ive heard of someone who put the chrome covers on their pickups that had none, and they claim it affected the sound, make it warmer. I have no idea since i never tried to tinker with a pickup like that.

Some Gibson SGs have single coil pickups, or any sort of variety of Gibson pickups on them. Some Epi SGs have Gibson pickups.
one way to tell the Epi SGs apart:

the lower end SGs tend to have bolt-on necks. doesnt mean theyre "bad", just put together differently, and sound a little different. The "better" Epi SGs have the set-in necks, like their Gibson counterparts.
You could read up on this at one of the music sales sites, or even at Gibson's website. they show the various models they presently make in the Gibson and the Epiphone lines at the Gibson homepage.

Generally, the pickups with covers on are usually higher in price.
generally, the set-in necks are more expensive.
generally, ebony costs more than rosewood.
generally, the bigger or fancier cut inlays in the fingerboard make it worth more.
some have inlays on the headstock too, these are usually higher-end guitars. the others are just painted logos.
Some SGs have ebony fingerboards, some have rosewood.
a few SGs have 24 frets (their Deluxe), but most have 22 jumbo frets.
seems to be, more often than not, they have Grover tuners.
at stores they tell me the dark red stained red SGs are worth more for resale than the other colors. (its more popular color.)

Some SGs have tremelos (Vibratoes of various types and brands) on them, some don't.

the easiest way to tell a "higher end" model from Epiphone is the headstock.
if it has the big split diamond shaped type logo its usually a "better" guitar.
also if it has the little mother of pearl logo thing in the middle of the headstock, its probably their G400 Epi. (Gibsons have this same logo on them.)
their other models don't seem to have the logo there.
the G400 seems like it is pretty darn close to a Gibson SG from what I have seen. I never owned an Epi though.

What a great question! Great guitar too! I've owned several (though I'm not saying how many)... virtually all varieties of Gibson SG and have been following their history, styles and many players since they were first introduced as a Les Paul model in 1961. Guess you like AC/DC Angus Young too?

The Epiphone SG's have either Epiphone or contracted-out pickups with many differences from their Made in USA counterparts. Most people swap them for an aftermarket pickup - I prefer Gibsons with the 4 lead wires, DiMarzios, Rio Grande or Seymour Duncan.

Anyhow, SG's come standard with a Gibson 490R for RHYTHM at the neck, and a hotter 498T for TREBLE at the bridge. From the factory, these have only 2 leads, and are not splittable. But they sound good.

I personally prefer and am currently using the Gibson 57 Classics on my SG62 Reissue. Now that's AC/DC!

Seriously, the 400 series pickups are a little brighter and bolder, the older-style PAF's (patent-applied-for's), Patent #'s and 57's are sweeter and harmonic without sacrificing vintage power. Power & distortion are not the same thing ... get your distortion later, from a stomp pedal. It's not a good thing if it's already in the pickup.

Lastly, Gibson's open (black) pickups are the 497R and the near-ultimate, mind blowing 500T for serious shredding. These are ceramic pickups, currently Gibson's hottest offering since the days of their discontinued Dirty Fingers pickups which I'd love to see again. Perhaps some DiMarzios can replicate their sounds?

Anyhow, for OFFICIAL facts & figures, Gibson has a great toll-free customer inquiry service at 1-800-4-GIBSON which is more than I can say for their competitors.

Good luck and great sounds! Dwight

SG wood

2nd question: Does anybody know what wood is used in the epiphone SG guitars? I believe the Gibsons are mahogany, right?

Re: SG wood

so far as i know they use the same wood, mahogany.

: so far as i know they use the same wood, mahogany.

yeh, for the ones i have seen, they're mahogany.
actually their epi G400 is very much like a regular gibson sg i suppose, except for the type of paint finish. both are mahogany, the epi sometimes has gibson pickups, which makes it seem even more interesting.

: : so far as i know they use the same wood, mahogany.

:
: yeh, for the ones i have seen, they're mahogany.
: actually their epi G400 is very much like a regular gibson sg i suppose, except for the type of paint finish. both are mahogany, the epi sometimes has gibson pickups, which makes it seem even more interesting.

New Reply: All people can have valid opinions and observations. I helped choose an Epiphone SG for a young friend of my son's, and I have seen many new ones since. I keep on making sure we got "the best" - ha!

My personal opinion is that the body wood is Agathis. It's rock hard and tight grained. A pretty good tone wood. I have at least one Strat and a Washburn that are definitely Agathis.

Enjoy that SG. Sounds as if it really matters to 'ya.

Strat Man Dwight

Some of the bottom line ones are made of layered laminate garbage. Ugly.. You have to find out what model to know. Most of the moderate priced ones are mahogany but the lower priced ones may in some cases be laminate pallet wood garbage. I will say that even the laminate ones sound really good. But I would steer away from cheap laminate bodies like the cheaper Epiphones and B.C. Rich stuff among others. Ask your local guitar shop dealer how to recognize the garbage.

: 2nd question: Does anybody know what wood is used in the epiphone SG guitars? I believe the Gibsons are mahogany, right?

guitar body customization.....

Ok, this may sound odd, but this is incredibly serious. I've got a little Harmony guitar that I really want to mess with. This little guitar has been through hell and I don't want it's journey to end just yet, but I want to re-vamp it. Here's my problem....I need to know if cutting the body would damage the sound. What I mean is completely reshaping the body near the bridge. I need to know if I could cut some of the body away and it not damage the sound of the guitar. I would greatly appeciate any answers to be emailed to me. My email address is razorwire_halo_13@yahoo.com

el degas?

i recently purchased a 1976 el degas guitar at a yard sale for $12 it does not have the model name and model number on the info sticker in side of it could sum one help me???

Gibson ES-175

My grandfather has a Gibson ES-175 that he bought in the 60's. Any idea what it's worth?

Re: Gibson ES-175

A '61 ES175, all original and clean, can bring $5000.00 easily. Check out e-bay and see what they might be going for. Or just search the web for Gibson ES175, you might get lucky and find one like your grandpa's guitar.

: My grandfather has a Gibson ES-175 that he bought in the 60's. Any idea what it's worth?

gibson es-335 studio 89 model

gibson es-335 studio 89 model

This popular thread has been given its own page : gibson es-335 studio 89 model

heritage guitar h535

can anyone enlighten me regarding the quality of heritage guitars and their es335 copy in particular as im thinking of buying one. gibson es335 is too expensive for me

Re: heritage guitar h535

When Gibson moved form Kalamazoo MI. to Nashville TN., some of the previuos employees established Heritage Guitar Inc. The company has been in operation since April 1985. The instuments are made in Kalamazoo and most of the machines were previously owned by Gibson Corp. In one of the oldest buildings that Gibson owned for that matter. I have never owned one myself, but I have played a few Heritage guitars and they were descent.
Made by the same people on the same machines in the same building that Gibsons were made, if the price was right, I'd buy it.

: can anyone enlighten me regarding the quality of heritage guitars and their es335 copy in particular as im thinking of buying one. gibson es335 is too expensive for me

Re: heritage guitar h535

I have owned my H535 for about 5 years. Previously I have owned a Gibson 335 (traded) and 355 (sold to the guitarist of THE DOORS). Altho the Gibson's
are great guitars, the workmanship of my Heritage (made in 1987)has them beat. It plays, feels, looks, and sounds like a Gibson (why would it not?). Altho
the peg head is shaped differently, it's design is a better one in that it allows the strings a more per- fect path to the nut, which should allow ANY guitar
to stay in tune better. Mine sold for $650 used, and is still in mint shape. I seldom play it now (retired and 69 yr old) as my main hobby is building
and repairing fretted instruments.

: When Gibson moved form Kalamazoo MI. to Nashville TN., some of the previuos employees established Heritage Guitar Inc. The company has been in operation since April 1985. The instuments are made in Kalamazoo and most of the machines were previously owned by Gibson Corp. In one of the oldest buildings that Gibson owned for that matter. I have never owned one myself, but I have played a few Heritage guitars and they were descent.
: Made by the same people on the same machines in the same building that Gibsons were made, if the price was right, I'd buy it.

:
: : can anyone enlighten me regarding the quality of heritage guitars and their es335 copy in particular as im thinking of buying one. gibson es335 is too expensive for me

hello

i want to download songs free

Identifying Your Charvel/Jackson Guitar...is it authentic or a fake??

[The body of this post has been lost]

Re: Identifying Your Charvel/Jackson Guitar...is it authentic or a fake??

I have a charvel serial #223527 is it real or is it bogus

SPEAKER CRACK

I have a 2 inch long crack(ha ha) at the perimerter of the speaker of my peavey 112. What could i use to seal it? Would super glue work? How much would a new speaker cost? Thank you

Re: SPEAKER CRACK

It would be best to replace the speaker, as the crack is going to get bigger. Usually when a speaker cracks it is because of two things: It is old and the paper has become brittle or you have been over running the amps power section by using to much volume and cliping it. Speakers run anywhere from $50-$100.00, depending on where you buy it. What kind of speaker is in it now and how many watts is the amp?

You can repair it with some heavy paper, like a thick brown paper sack is made of, and elmers glue till you can replace it. This type of repair will not hold for very long though. If the crack is in an arch or curved, make the paper the same to match it. Cut the paper wide and lond enough to over lap the crack by 1/2 inch or so and glue it to the speaker. Let it dry over night and see how good (if) it works the next day. And replace the speaker soon!!!!

: I have a 2 inch long crack(ha ha) at the perimerter of the speaker of my peavey 112. What could i use to seal it? Would super glue work? How much would a new speaker cost? Thank you

try the repair, ive glued a patch of paper on mt Celestion greenback and it works fine.

ok thank you

oh and it's a 160 watt and 12 inch speaker. thank you

Morris MD-500 - Oh please help!

I cannot find out a damn thing about how much it is worth, anyone have any idea of how much it is worth, must be from about the mid to late 80's

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.