Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2004

Archive for posts from August, 2004

ArchiveJuly 2004 ] [ ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ] [ ArchiveJune 2001 ] [ ArchiveMay 2001 ] [ ArchiveApril 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Michael Moore is a child molester

yup that fat bitch is in NAMBLA

Re: Michael Moore is a child molester

: yup that fat bitch is in NAMBLA

okay so he's not,but he's fat!
and he's ugly!

and he's a liar!

he sure is a creep!

ibanez 628.12

i have a ibanez guitar. the model # 628.12 and the other number on the top is R/S 42216. i believe that it is a concord too. this was my late fathers guitar and i am curious of what it is worth. thank you for all your help that you can provide.

FA: 1967 Gibson Hummingbird Acoustic Guitar - NO RESERVE!!!

Only 3 days left!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3744384434

happy bidding!!!

J

1972 Gibson E - B -3 Truss Rod Broken

Looking For A Good Shop To Replace The Truss Rod In My 1972 Gibson EB3. If Someone Could Send Me An E - Mail revboblthumper@earthlink.net I Would Be Greatful.

C. C. Kehrli

may bell guitar

may bell guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : may bell guitar

BOSS ME-50

I just recently bought an ME-50 effects pedal. I can't seem to get some of the tones I want. I have been using a Zakk Wylde overdrive pedal with it but I still can't get the right sound. I also have an MT-2 pedal I can use with it. I want to know how I can get a decent Zakk Wylde tone using the pedals. Can someone help?
I am also looking for websites that have pedal settings for various artists on them. For example, if I wanted a tone for Creed I could go to this website, look up my pedal and see the settings for the band.

Re: BOSS ME-50

I have a ME50, and i must admit the distortion tones arent that good, i find the best distortion tone is on the DS-1 setting, drive 2/3 - bottom on 1/2 - tone on 3/4 - and level on 1/2, make sure master level is on 1/2, and i also overdrive my valve amp a little.
but if you want a real great distortion tone then get yourself a proco turbo rat, the 'Daddy' of them all.

can i just suggest to try & back off your distortion a little, using it is fine... but with people (unlike me as i dont really like it)they tend to use a bit too much distortion, so just a tip, when you are playing live just turn it down by a couple of numbers (if that makes sense) if you are using me50 distortion

That is a tip I read from a guitar magazine about live tips, I just altered it to make sense for the ME50 :P Enjoy

ME50 has 11 different type with a 'variation' switch, thats 22 different types, when you say back off a little does that go for all those types? any other top tips ??
cant wait.

to Pookster- a big thank you

This morning I read what you posted and told my dad to look at it. My mom bought him a charvel guitar in 1984 for christmas. Last year they bought me one just like it at a pawn shop for my birthday and my dad has been trying to taech me to play. Some times dads guitar would get fuzy sounding and quit working. He turns the volum and tone nobs and it will work again for a while. He took it to a shop and the man said it was not fixable and tried to buy it from him to use the parts. He told dad he would give him 100 dolars trade in on a newer one just like it but dad said it was a present and would not trade. I saw what you wrote about the siets and books. I check them out and now we know why the man wanted his guitar. It is a all orignal stock standard 3 made in the us. It does look just like the model 4 like you said only it has the 4 diget number and the right plate on it. They paid to much for mine. It is a model 4 made in japan with the switches and kahler trem options. The plate on back says made in fort worth tx. and the head says made in usa on it but it has a six diget serial # that don't match up. The trem says 1984 on it but that is when it was made and not the guitar. I think it is a 1987. We needed new strings and before we put them on we took off the necks to see if it had writing under it like the site said and his did. My dad wants to know if the spray stuff you talk about in the other mesages will fix his and what brand to get. Me and dad both says thanks.

Re: to Pookster- a big thank you

You're both very welcome. The spray should work if it is just dirty and corroded from oxidation building up inside of them. Any brand of electronics cleaning spray will do. Just read the lable on the can to see if it's for cleaning pots and make sure it leaves no residue behind. Some brands that lubricate the pots leave a residue that attracts dust particles and will interfere with the transfer of the signal over time.

Access the electonics so you can see the pots. Where the piece comes out of it and the wires are soldered to the lugs is an opening or crack of about 1/16th of an inch. Spray it through there. The cleaner should come with a small tube that fits in the spray nozzle, like WD40 comes with. Place the tube as close to the opening as possible so that the spray will enter the pot. Point the end of the tube straight in if at all possible. Spray the pot for about a one or two second blast and turn the pot all the way from one side to the other. You may hear a "sizzling" sound, that's just the spray cleaning the corrosion away. Repeat this a couple of more times. Spray the jack where the plug goes too and all the switches while you are in there. Look for an opening on the back of the switches to spray them through. If none can be found spray them from the top where the lever comes out and let it run down inside. Use a drinking straw to help control the spray, so it don't get all over your guitar. Place one end of the straw on the top of the switch and put the spray tube in the other. Spray short "squirts" in the straw and it will run down to the switch. When it runs inside the switch, flip it back and forth a few times and repeat. Note: don't use WD40 to clean a pot with, the oily residue in it will cause lots problems later on. If you have a pot that is hard to turn you can use WD40 to loosen it up, but clean it out real good with the spray afterward. Let me know if this does the trick. If the pots need replacing, I can help you do that too.

: This morning I read what you posted and told my dad to look at it. My mom bought him a charvel guitar in 1984 for christmas. Last year they bought me one just like it at a pawn shop for my birthday and my dad has been trying to taech me to play. Some times dads guitar would get fuzy sounding and quit working. He turns the volum and tone nobs and it will work again for a while. He took it to a shop and the man said it was not fixable and tried to buy it from him to use the parts. He told dad he would give him 100 dolars trade in on a newer one just like it but dad said it was a present and would not trade. I saw what you wrote about the siets and books. I check them out and now we know why the man wanted his guitar. It is a all orignal stock standard 3 made in the us. It does look just like the model 4 like you said only it has the 4 diget number and the right plate on it. They paid to much for mine. It is a model 4 made in japan with the switches and kahler trem options. The plate on back says made in fort worth tx. and the head says made in usa on it but it has a six diget serial # that don't match up. The trem says 1984 on it but that is when it was made and not the guitar. I think it is a 1987. We needed new strings and before we put them on we took off the necks to see if it had writing under it like the site said and his did. My dad wants to know if the spray stuff you talk about in the other mesages will fix his and what brand to get. Me and dad both says thanks.

Guitat

Looking for phone number from your latest television
advertisement for your rose wood acustic guitar and amp. With lessons.

Re: Guitar

: Looking for phone number from your latest television
: advertisement for your rose wood acoustic guitar and amp. With lessons.

Sound Proofing

After a visit from the boys in blue during practice, am looking for inexpensive ways to sound proof the garage. Have looked at several different ways to do it, but would take an arm and a leg to do it. Any ideas out there?

Re: Sound Proofing

have used egg crate mattress foam before. Like the kind that goes on top of a mattress to sleep on. It's not as good as regular sound proofing foam, but it works to some degree. Get the 4" thick, firm support, blue kind, if you can find it. You may need to double it depending on how loud you get. Musicians Friend sells the regular studio foam, but it's expensive. $220.oo-$250.oo for a 8' X 12' wall. I guess you could order a little at a time, till you have enough to cover everything.

:
: After a visit from the boys in blue during practice, am looking for inexpensive ways to sound proof the garage. Have looked at several different ways to do it, but would take an arm and a leg to do it. Any ideas out there?

canora guitars

do they have a website? i got one of thier guitars today.

Cameo Guitar

Cameo Guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Cameo Guitar

Free Guitar lesson tabs & MP3's

Schmange's Guitar Tricks

Over 280 free guitar lesson tabs with MP3's, MIDI and descriptions. Multitrack lessons. Soundtracks and tv/film.

hohner inc

sd

fuck youuuuuuuuuu

new gf

so yeah things with me and miss gibson les paul black beauty didnt work even though i tried for the sake of the guitar, and so i moved on, well this new girl named andriais in my fund to design class, and we were talkin and were goin out, well turns out shes a huge tallerca fan like me, so i wanted to hear her play, didnt know she played a banjo an acoustic and a double neck epiphone sg (like the ES-1275 or somethin) so she played the double neck and damn ive never seen a better female player, i was fuckin amazed, what i suggest to you dudes though, dont go out with a girl thats better than you, im goin out with her cause shes hot, shes nice, and shes got one hell of an arsenal for guitars

Valuation help pls - Craftman Forest Guitar

Hi all,
I am having trouble finding out the reasonable valuation of my guitar. It is in mint condition (only used once).
I bought it in 1994.
It is a:
'Craftman Forest' Acoustic / Classical Guitar
'Craftman Forest' Guitar
Serial number: 95080588
Model number: CC-18

Any ideas or links to website would really greatly be appreciated. Hope you can help.
Kind regards
Angie :)

guitars

what's up everybody!!!!!

Re: guitars

: what's up everybody!!!!!

Talking guitar talk, and you?

want to learn

hi,i want to learn acoustic guiter...but i dont have that much money to get admitted in any institution..so can u plz halp to send a learning manual from where i can really learn..i will be very glad..
with thanks

Re: want to learn

www.guitarforbeginners.com

Re: want to learn

: hi,i want to learn acoustic guiter...but i dont have that much money to get admitted in any institution..so can u plz halp to send a learning manual from where i can really learn..i will be very glad..
: with thanks
Kito Dulom

Blueridge BR343 for sale

It is brand new, with case
e mail for more info and pic

Re: Blueridge BR343 for sale

:
: It is brand new, with case
: e mail for more info and pic

please send pics. thanks,

gutar strings

where can i find black diamond acustic guitar strings

Gibson ES175D - What Is It Worth?

The first two numbers of my 175D serial number begin with 77. I would assume my guitar was made cica 1975,76,77. What is this model worth in today's currency? I noticed the 1956 going for $4,500.00!
I'd like to get a fair appraisal. Thanks!

JACKSON JJ5 SCOTT IAN 5 STRING BARITONE INFO NEEDED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i NEED TO KNOW IF IT IS DONE IN THE CUSTOM SHOP , OR NOT , SCALE , LIST PRICE......THANK YOU!!!

can you tell me about ibanez guitars?

im looking to buy a good electric guitar that is going to last me a long time..i keep seeing ibanez guitars...does anyone know how well they play?

Re: can you tell me about ibanez guitars?

: im looking to buy a good electric guitar that is going to last me a long time..i keep seeing ibanez guitars...does anyone know how well they play?

Ibanez are great guitars. However, I would stick to the later 1970s to mid 1980s. These were paticularly nice and extremely well made...they sound great and play great. The contemporary new line is not as good in my opinion. Try searching for an Ibanez "Artist" from the time period I mentioned. Can't go wrong....Good Luck!

thanks a lot

Alot can be said about Ibanez guitars, most of it GREAT, as in tried, tested & true ... unarguably EXCELLENT. I'm saying they speak for themselves, regardless or their detractors. But, I see you already have some support here in your quest.

My son owns the first issue 1987 Ibanez Jem. Anybody would have a hard time beating that with anything. It's solid, made of World-class materials, sounds terrific and has some built-in coil shunting apparatus which only makes it better. A few people don't like it's colour (bright green) or any of the other neon-looking Ibanez's. Guess they don't own one, or maybe their eyes and attitudes are a little too sensitive. But I have an ALL BLACK RG model which counters any criticism like a "Terminator".

My friends have "S", RG and ARTIST models. All are super. Do you want or need a locking tremolo? That might determine what you purchase.

Overall, I'd say from experience that the older, Japan-made models are the best of the bunch, and if you like Strats, Ibanez also manufactured, and was successfully sued over a super guitar called the ROADSTAR. They are sure to please the purist, and will likely appreciate in value.

: I had a Ibanez les paul copy when I was in my teens. It was a very good guitar, but I would suggest the Godin Exit 22. I got one a few months ago and the thing is built solid as a rock and sounds great. It lists for 497.00 but you can usually get them new for about 400.00. I've seen them on ebay for less and supposedly new. Godins are extremely high quality for not too much dough. Check them out at godinguitars.com, click on guitars, then "performance series" to check one out.

thanks a lot jake, what type of wood do u recomend for the neck of the guiar?

: You have a choice of maple and rosewood with the exit 22. The body is solid natural mahagony with a beautiful satin finish and the necks are rock maple. I got the rosewood fretboard with mine. I think the maple fretboard actually looks better. To tell you the truth, I don't know if I could tell the difference in sound. I think there's a press article comparing the difference in fretboards. I'm getting back into it after about a 20 year break, so consider me somewhat of an advanced beginner.

Buy a Gibson Melody Maker for around $400 new at a place like Musician's Friend or a local store. It will do you all the justice you need and it will retain it's value. Try selling an Ibanez down the road and see what little value it retains as compared to a vintage Gibson or Fender. You may want an Ibanez if you want a great guitar that outdoes most all others but it will not have an increasing value. There are some Ibanezs out there that retain there value and have increased in value but nothing compared to Gibson. Some Fenders have increased in value but not like Gibson. That is what I consider these days. Even a low priced Gibson of the sixties is worth alot. Ibanez has to be researched as to it's true value which isn't easy since they are made by everyone in Korea and China these days. yuk

: im looking to buy a good electric guitar that is going to last me a long time..i keep seeing ibanez guitars...does anyone know how well they play?

Ibanez make great guitars for guitarists. They tailor the instrument to complement players who want to develop their technique and consequently have thin necks, ideal for beginners. Value depends on what level you want to buy in at... something like the Ibanez JS2000 goes for around £1200 where as their entry point RG model will typically go for around £499. Definitely better guitars for playing than Gibson or Fender, although it's true that these will hold and sometimes increase value. Having said that, top of the range Ibanez guitars have held their value for at least the last ten years. I'd by an Ibanez every time!

Early 50s Kay, trying to identify it

my Kay is at least early 50's because this is when my Dad and his brother bought it. It was used then. Email me and I will send you a couple pics. It has red tortoise shell headstock with the Kay script in white (paint?) and a lightning bolt done in the same way running down through what appears to be a knight's sheild. The sheild has the Letter K in the middle of it and has turquoise coloring to the lower left and upper right edges of the sheild, with some type of plummage looking designs above and below the sheild. The neck has doulble stacked rectangle pearl inlay for fret markers with tiny pearl dot fret markers along the edge of the fingerboard. The neck binding, body binding, volume/tone knob holder, and pick guard are also red tortoise shell. Its is a electric/hollow body full size guitar with a single pickup. aAny help will be soooooo appreciated.

Re: Early 50s Kay, trying to identify it

Hello. I'm not a Kay expert and I wish I knew one. But, I have some fairly detailed information on the History and Features of all generations of Kay guitars; there has always been a distinct lack of pictures in the World. However I will try to help as I share your interest in all post-war electric guitars, especially from the 50's.

If your guitar is a SINGLE CUTAWAY it may be Kay's first cutaway model, the K-1 which debuted in 1952. I don't know of many other examples at that time except for the K-125 "TWIN" (two pickups?) and the Barney Kessel signature model.

Enjoy yours for many years to come, Dwight

capos

what are capos used for?

Re: capos

for changing the key of the guitar, its a device that is clamped on across all the strings at various points along the neck.

thanks a lot

capos

what are capos used for?

Transposing up the scale. If a capo is placed on the second fret, everything is raised up one whole step. So that a G chord will now be an A chord, a C chord is now a D chord, etc. Lets say you know a three chord song in the key of C. The three chords used in this song are C, F and G. I know this song in the key of D and can sing it in the key of D. So you would take the capo and place it on the second fret of your guitar and play the chords you know. Make the chords as if the capo wasn't there and they will be D, G and A. The same key that I will play. They are also used to give a different sound to one guitar when two that sound alike are played. This gives a seperation to the guitars by shortening the strings of the one with the capo.

: what are capos used for?

thanks for helping out pookster

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.