Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - October, 2004

Archive for posts from October, 2004

ArchiveSeptember 2004 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2004 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2004 ] [ ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ] [ ArchiveJune 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Fender Mod

I am planning on modding my Standard squire strat by changing the single coil bridge pickup for a humbucker

I realise i would need to cut the pickguard to accomodate it, but would the wiring work? would i cut the hole for the humbucker straight or slanted like the single coil is?
The Humbucker is coming out of another guitar so i will not have wiring instructions
Is there any other information that you could give me?

Re: Fender Mod

: I am planning on modding my Standard squire strat by changing the single coil bridge pickup for a humbucker

: I realise i would need to cut the pickguard to accomodate it, but would the wiring work? would i cut the hole for the humbucker straight or slanted like the single coil is?
: The Humbucker is coming out of another guitar so i will not have wiring instructions
: Is there any other information that you could give me?

Follow up: I've done what you're doing so many different ways, that there is not room enough here.

First however, the easiest way is to buy a mini-humbucker that fits the existing pickguard slot. Wiring instructions included, or available on the net.

Second, a stacked humbucker, similar to the above.

But, if you really wish to use your full-size humbucker, please consider at least buying a new pickguard which will accomodate it. Saves all the cutting and looks "factory". Wiring, if it has only 2 leads, will be the same.

Briefly, the full-size humbucker can not be mounted at the slant of the existing single coil, because it would require that you remove wood from the body, exactly where the body needs strength due to the attachment of the bridge with it's 6 screws. So actually, the humbucker should be mounted straight across, if it is full-sized.

Strat Man Dwight

Re: Fender Mod

: : I am planning on modding my Standard squire strat by changing the single coil bridge pickup for a humbucker

: : I realise i would need to cut the pickguard to accomodate it, but would the wiring work? would i cut the hole for the humbucker straight or slanted like the single coil is?
: : The Humbucker is coming out of another guitar so i will not have wiring instructions
: : Is there any other information that you could give me?

:
: Follow up: I've done what you're doing so many different ways, that there is not room enough here.

: First however, the easiest way is to buy a mini-humbucker that fits the existing pickguard slot. Wiring instructions included, or available on the net.

: Second, a stacked humbucker, similar to the above.

: But, if you really wish to use your full-size humbucker, please consider at least buying a new pickguard which will accomodate it. Saves all the cutting and looks "factory". Wiring, if it has only 2 leads, will be the same.

: Briefly, the full-size humbucker can not be mounted at the slant of the existing single coil, because it would require that you remove wood from the body, exactly where the body needs strength due to the attachment of the bridge with it's 6 screws. So actually, the humbucker should be mounted straight across, if it is full-sized.

: Strat Man Dwight

Uhh, Dad ... string or pickup pole spacing is also a factor. That is why the majority of humbuckers are mounted at a right angle to the strings. Ideally, the vibration of each string should occur right over the pole. A pickup designed for the bridge, accordingly works best on Fat Strats.

Good luck buddy with the original Squier!

Andrew, Rockitsciencelabs Advanced Guitar Tech

FENDER f-03 Acoustic Guitar

I have a fender f-03 acoustic guitar which has sat in a guitar case in my garage gor the last few years unplayed. it is in great condition except one bridge pin is missing.
How much is this item worth the serial number although faint appears to be 8408044 (but is faint)
Regards
Graham

left handed 67 model

I have a LH 67 model which after owning for 25 years I may have to part with. Any ideas on what it would fetch.

Advice for buying a guitar for my 7 year old son

My 7 year old son has become obsessed with wanting to learn the electric guitar (his teenage cousins play quite well and after watching 'School of Rock' enough said). Can anybody advise the best way of 'giving it a go' without over spending. I have been told that cheap guitars can put a youngster off playing, since they are harder to play.

Basically what size, how much, will I find them second hand ?, etc.

Advice appreciated.

Greg

Re: Advice for buying a guitar for my 7 year old son

if he loves school of rock then you need to get him an SG, the Epiphone models are very good and need'nt be very expensive, the setup of these guitars are very good, the sound is good as well, if i were you i wouldnt spend too much on an amp, get a max of 10watt tranistor, Marshall do some very good amps around this range, and of course you get the marshall badge on it too.
so go for a Epihone SG should get one for around £150-$300, and the amp will be around $120, i think they are called the marshall MG range.
this setup will last him years.
Good luck

Re: Advice for buying a guitar for my 7 year old son

: if he loves school of rock then you need to get him an SG, the Epiphone models are very good and need'nt be very expensive, the setup of these guitars are very good, the sound is good as well, if i were you i wouldnt spend too much on an amp, get a max of 10watt tranistor, Marshall do some very good amps around this range, and of course you get the marshall badge on it too.
: so go for a Epihone SG should get one for around £150-$300, and the amp will be around $120, i think they are called the marshall MG range.
: this setup will last him years.
: Good luck

Second the motion: Great Scott ... or, Lee. I just helped a youngster buy an Epiphone SG and Marshall 15 watt amp for all the same reasons. The other choice on the market is the mini-Squier from Fender dealers at $199 in Canada. They seem to be compatible with a beginning child's needs, and are easy to set up & play well. I don't recommend the full-size equivalent, or Strat pack yet. However your suggestion is excellent - the SG is light, very comfortable and has a nice short scale.

I have a daughter turning 7 and she is unable to handle anything full-size. For that reason I also like the "mini".

Hope that all have a happy start & continue to play!

Strat Man Dwight (Canada)

online ,data entry work

online ,data entry work

This popular thread has been given its own page : online ,data entry work

Manual for Yamaha GW50

Looking for the manual for a GW50

Re: Manual for Yamaha GW50

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/synth/GW50E.pdf

it's on this site :)

Fender Jaguar Parts

Help!! I am looking for the three way switch cover for the 62 Fender Jaguar Guitar. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, I appreciate any help.

Re: Fender Jaguar Parts

: Help!! I am looking for the three way switch cover for the 62 Fender Jaguar Guitar. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, I appreciate any help.

Try reliablefender or guitarpartsresource1, even possibly customshopparts or wildberryskittles on ebay. You can also join and ask similar questions at www.stratcollector.com. This is not a commercial endorsement, but I get stuff from them. Happy hunting!

Strat Man Dwight

hi my dear

LOVE YOU MY DARLING

Bass or Electric?

I can already play acoustic guitar but i want to learn
either Bass or electric guitar but which one?

Re: Bass or Electric?

since u already know how to play the guitar, why not try out the bass?

Re: Bass or Electric?

how about the cello? ive mentioned this very versatile instrument before, but all i get is ridicule, make no mistake its the daddy, sting used a very very big one on 'every breath you take' and he didnt use the bow!! can you imagine angus young playing the opening riff to 'Hells bells' with a cello?? how cool is that? and you can always go to bed at night knowing you have the biggest chopper on the block, and as we all know size is everything, biggest is best, and as my old mate Vic used to say, 'he who dies with the most stuff wins'.
Repeat after me people ................
say Hello to my Magic Mellow Yellow Cello.

Ibanez AEB45LG

I am trying to find any information on an Ibanez acoustic electric bass. Model#AEB45LG. Prices, new and used, feedback, reviews etc. Thanks.

Re: Ibanez AEB45LG

: I am trying to find any information on an Ibanez acoustic electric bass. Model#AEB45LG. Prices, new and used, feedback, reviews etc. Thanks.

Reply: try www.harmonycentral.com; www.jemsite.com. Strat man Dwight

marvin sound

I want to buy zoom rfx1000 or 2000 can someone tell me is it good to make hank marvin echoes with?

Re: marvin sound

: I want to buy zoom rfx1000 or 2000 can someone tell me is it good to make hank marvin echoes with?

We have used various Zoom effects, among others, but I'd refer to possibly dozens of other users' reviews under guitar effects on www.harmonycentral.com. They could refer to terms like tape echo or digital delay, but I don't know about Hank Marvin. You might have to analyze & extrapolate from any potentially useful info.

I also think www.moultonlabs.com could turn up something interesting.

Strat Man Dwight - Rockitscience Advanced Guitar Technology (& Sound) Labs

Re: marvin sound

The RFX 2000 has a multi-tap capability which the RFX 1000 does not have. A multi-tap delay is considered essential by those seeking the Hank Marvin sound.

ASTURIUS AST100S

Asturius Classical guitar -

For Sale - Gorguous figured Rosewood - Spruce TOP.

$1295 - retail in 1996 was 2200.00

Very good condition - with case.

Carlsbro Amps, how or where to get in USA

I am looking for the carlsbro nu-tone 2x12 combo and am having a hard time finding a dealer on the internet and or in USA, any suggestions? Any dealers?
I know this item is barely out in the UK but who may have it, when it opens up?

confession

im realy a cock sucking faggot, im sorry for any offence ive caused in the past, and im glad to be a gay gay pink tutu wearing scumbag lose.
please forgive me.

Gretch Guitar

I have a 1934 Gretch Electromatic Guitar Model #6189 Serial #22231....... What's it worth?

Tab for "The Manimal" by W.A.S.P. anyone EVER see this?

I've been looking for ages for the tab to "The Manimal" for obvious reasons, and I was curious as to wether or not anyone had EVER seen this song tabbed out. If so, could someone kindly point me to it? Thanx!

Please help me!! Thanx!!

I have to write a short comparison/contrast essay on Bass' and standard guitars, Can someone please give me some info. on this, or send me to a good site that can help me?? Thanx!

Guild D35 w/sunburst finish?

hi all - i have a chance to buy a guild D35 guitar made in 1987. at least that's what the label & serial # inside the soundhole says, but in looking around online, all the D35s have a natural finish soundboard. does anyone know more about this than me? it's at a nice price...

tom

Re: Guild D35 w/sunburst finish?

apparently, they did make some sunbursts:

http://www.californiavintageguitarandamp.com/guildpages/Guild_40019.htm

ibanez artist acoustic model 2608

would any one no the value of Ibanez artist 2608 acoustic guitar in mint condition,mother of pearl inlays in head and frets.

guitar price

would any one know the value of Ibanez Artist acoustic . model no 2608,in mint condition with mother of pearl inlays on head and frets

thanks

Stagg Guitars

Do you know something about STAGG guit. manufacturer?

Re: Stagg Guitars

low end guitars, knocked together with ply at best and hardboard at worse, made in the far east where ex ball bearing factory workers are employed making knecks and bodies (hence the outstanding workmanship).
on the minus side they look, sound, feel, play like a wet blanket. they have slightly more sex appeal than that guy out of 'deliverance' i beleive his line was
'squeal like a pig boy!' in short they arent very good. but please dont take my word for it buy one on the internet (they only cost about $50 new) and give it a go.

Re: Stagg Guitars

Low to mid range guitars, bodies made of alder, necks of maple. SG copies all mahogany. The les paul copies are set-necks, a hell of a lot better than Epiphones. The factory is Huasheng, and they've made guitars since the '80's. I don't know if they ever made ball bearings. I wouldn't take "Director"'s word too seriously, since he doesn't even know what woods they use for the instruments and he can barely spell.

Looking fo contacts

Hi more info about me you will find on www.marcinpietrzyk.com

Speed guitar player from london

If you looking for a band go to www.marcinpietrzyk.com

Re: Speed guitar player from london

: If you looking for a band go to www.marcinpietrzyk.com

Thousands of contacts at www.8notes.com guitar forums. Rock on! Dwight Listmayer

Guitar tuition in london

If you want to play like best of the best. Let me show you the way. Learn how to play like Yngwie Malmsteen, or Joe Satriani just go to may website and email me for more info. www.marcinpietrzyk.com

I play very fast and you ?

I am looking for contact with other musitians meaby to organize metal night more info about me you will find on www.marcinpietrzyk.com Get in touch and do somethink with our music WELCOME TO MY HOMEPAGE !!!!!!!!

wiring diagrams

I would like any pictorial wiring diagrams on squier bass,gibson les paul (1957) and sg bass and guitar
thanks

Vintage Tokai

I have what I believe to be a 1964 Tokai classical style acoustic guitar. No serial numbers, all it really tells you is that it is a L50 model. Does anyone know anything about this guitar and how much it may be worth?

Godin guitars

Who knows where I can find cheap Godin electric-acoustic guitars? Thanks!

Re: Godin guitars

ebay

Re: Godin guitars

where in the newengland area can i get a customized godin guitar

1957 Gibson ES225, and 19 71 Gibson SG

I have a 1957 Gibson ES 225 and A 1971 Gibson SG. I would like to know how much these guitars are worth. Can you help me?

1957 Gibson ES225, and 1971 Gibson SG

I have a 1957 Gibson ES 225 and A 1971 Gibson SG. I would like to know how much these guitars are worth. Can you help me?

guitar recording on computer

I want to plug my guitar into the computer and create recordings so that I can burn onto CD. What is the best and easiest software to do this on?? PLease help!

washburn DM2000S millenium series guitar

a few years ago i bought a washburn DM2000S millenium guitar the serial no says 15 of 24 not sure what that means, was i supposed to get an authenticity certificate with it if anyone could give me any info it would mean alot

AMPS: 2 - 12's or 4 - 10's WHICH IS BETTER?

2 - 12's or 4 - 10's WHICH IS BETTER?

This popular thread has been given its own page : AMPS: 2 - 12's or 4 - 10's WHICH IS BETTER?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2020 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.