Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - November, 2004

Archive for posts from November, 2004

ArchiveOctober 2004 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2004 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2004 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2004 ] [ ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Gibson 1955 Gold Top Guitar

and how much did they say it is worth??

kod lagu hati emas kupulan kembara (m.nasir)

tolong hantar dengan segera

kod lagu hati emas

saya mahu kod lagu hati emas dari kumpulan kembara (m.nasir)

Alvarez D-28tbs

I'm trying to find out anything about this guitar, it has a nice rich, deep sound, and it looks good too. Is this a collectible or desirable guitar? any idea as too it's value?
thanks

Taking Back Sunday guitar amp settings

Does anyone know what amp settings Taking Back Sunday's guitarist Fred Mascherino uses?

Re: Taking Back Sunday guitar amp settings

::Does anyone know what amp settings Taking Back Sunday's guitarist Fred Mascherino uses?::

I think he just takes his amps and cranks them all up to "suck"

Re: Taking Back Sunday guitar amp settings

: :He uses a Mesa

phase shifters

what do they do?
thanks.

Re: phase shifters

Theoretically they delay the signal by a continuously varying amount which is less than the period of the wave, then mix that back with the original signal. In practice they make your sound go swish swish. The old Korg Mr.Multi pedal used to allow you to shift the phase by a set amount and just leave it there. I liked that effect more.
If two pairs of people are swinging skipping ropes at the same frequency and amplitude, but one is up when the other is down, they are 180 degrees out of phase. If one is up when the other is half way down, they are 90 degrees out of phase. If one gets in and out of phase by catching up and then falling behind periodically, this is a model of what happens in a phase shifter.

Godin G3000

Anyone know what a Godin G3000 in good condition would be worth?

Yamaha G85A Value

I have a Yamaha G85A acoustic guitar and are considering sellin it. What is a reasonable asking price?

Re: Yamaha G85A Value

I'd like to know as well. I have one to sell also. Mine is circa 1970-72.

franciscan guitar

we have a franciscan model#cs3, does anyone have any information on this, or know where we can find information for this model? am interested in selling this for fair price, in pretty good condition--thank you for your help--

any info on alvarez silver anniversary edition acoustic electric

i acquired an alvarez acoustic electric silver edition from my father, and have the serial number (48303) and model number (2555S) with an addition number stamped in ink in the inside of the guitar on the neck (903122, best guess. the ink's faded in some places) i've been on the alvarez website and just about everywhere else and can't find any information about it. if you have any information at all, i'd be much obliged if you'd share it with me. thank you!

does any one know what kinda Guitar Strings Josh Homme Uses?!

i just need to know what kinda guitar strings Josh Homme uses..what kind what gauge everything

BOSS GE10

Wanted:BOSS GE10
in good shape.Prefer:220V

Guitar Scales - What to learn?

Hey, I've been playing guitar for just over two years now, but I still haven't learned many scales. I play all styles - rock, jazz, funk, metal etc... and I'm familiar with most of the chording stuff. Knowing the chording works fine for my rhythm guitaring, but I want to dig deeper into the world of soloing and really learn how to play guitar.

The only scale I know well is the pentatonic scale, which works well for typical blues/rock soloing. What are some other good scales to learn? Fingering patterns, tabulature, names of the scales, and/or note-names would be really helpful! Thanks

Re: Guitar Scales - What to learn?

If you plot out the key of C over the whole fretboard, ( in other words mark all the places you can find the notes of C major a b c d e f g a b ) you will end up with a useful map that you can explore. This pattern can be split up into boxes which each cover a range of less than 6 frets and which each include a consecutive sequence of notes. Each of these boxes is a C major scale pattern. (a pattern is just an array of notes that you can treat as you like, a scale is a consecutive sequence of notes starting and finishing on the key note.) Once you know these boxes, you can easily convert them to other keys, just like sliding a bar chord. So in D they will all be 2 frets higher. So with consistent work for a few months you can know the whole neck in all major keys. I think this is a great investment. You will end up with favorite boxes and favorite bits of some others.

A pentatonic scale just leaves out the 4th and 7th notes of a major scale.

Another cool thing to do is to see what patterns fit around each chord, so you might look at an A minor bar chord on the 5th fret and find all the notes from C major that are near it. Within the full diagram described above, you can look for familiar chord shapes and licks, and extend your knowledge that way.
There's lots more but I think this whole neck approach is very useful.

You need to practice a new idea slower than you would like to get it mastered then speed it up. Always play with time. Say a metronome or drum machine. Don't rely on your foot for time. In the intermediate stages, it's important to learn songs and mimic your favorite players. How about copying the vocal melodies on the guitar. Great for phrasing and ear training. Learn to read music. This will help you to learn to count time, thus helping you communicate your ideas to the rhythm section of the band. They know how to count time. The guitarist is the illiterate one. This is due to playing patterns and reading tabliture. If you will not read on a regular basis and want to skin the cat when you're playing, you should at least learn how to count time, and get into a bit of music theory. Guitarists like Eddie Van Halen and Eric Johnson claim they can't read. But they can see the noted on the neck. They understand time and they have great grasp on theory. In a nutshell, don't just learn scales and play them straight through. It tends to sound mechanical and unmusical. Learn where the scales came from and what the limits of them over various chords
Try this.... a,c,d,e,g, this is your A minor pentatonic notes. Draw the entire guitar neck on paper and insert the notes named. Have it in front of you as you work your ideas. This will help you visulize new ideas as well as seeing the NOTES on the neck and not just patterns. Phrasing is a big part of it as well. You should think about phrase imitation, rhythmic imitation, and melodic imitation with your melodies and solos.
A couple tips: try B minor and E minor pentatonic over an A minor chord. (more of a Dorian sound.)
Try B minor pentatonic over a C Major 7th chord. (more of a Lydian sound.)

All the best, Rick Olack (G.A.T.) <guitarists against tab> LOL

for more tips while i have time, feel free to email me at RO1018@comcast.net

As with the "modes" discussion, I put some effort into a clear reply which appears to have been wiped.

futura electra guitars

how much are electra futura guitars worth it was made in 1983

futura guitars

does anyone own a futura guitar

Re: futura guitars

me
1983 electra futura

Used guitar values

Is there a free source online for determining used guitar values? (other than Ebay completed listings)

Re: Used guitar values

have you tried harmony central??
stratman gave a web address of a site that would value it for a fee.

Aria 780

I'm having trouble finding any info on the aria model 780 I have. The serial number is 07720 does anyone know how much it is worth?
thanks so much!!

Re: Aria 780

: I'm having trouble finding any info on the aria model 780 I have. The serial number is 07720 does anyone know how much it is worth?
: thanks so much!!

Re: Aria 780

: : I'm having trouble finding any info on the aria model 780 I have. The serial number is 07720 does anyone know how much it is worth?
: : thanks so much!! Hi, about 150.00 or more.Just got one from ebay.email and i'll tell you what i found. Doug

air guitarists wanted for tv commercial in los angeles

looking for a heavy metal air guitarist for tv commercial asap
must be an air guitarists who competes....

fender bandmaster blackface combo amp

fender bandmaster blackface combo amp

This popular thread has been given its own page : fender bandmaster blackface combo amp

Favilla Classical Guitar

I noticed an old message regarding Favilla guitars, posted by someone who studied with Herk Favilla. I have a Classical Herk Favilla guitar, purchased in the early seventies that I am interested in selling or trading. If anyone is interested, or knows the approximate value, I'd like to hear from you. Thanks! Susan

1972 Alvarez 5038

I was wondering if anyone knows info about the early 70's 5038. It has a flame maple back and sides and alvarez spelled out in the headstock. I was just curious of the value.

Modes

I'm really confused about modes. I understand the modes starting in Cmaj.No#'s or b's. Ionian starts with C, Dorian with D Phrygian with E etc.but when it comes to other scales theres where the confustion starts. Ex: I'm Starting in Dmaj 2#'s f&c. Is that Dmaj considered the Ionian mode and do all the following mode just use the # and b of the Dmaj.Now the next mode is Dorian which would be an E note (which as a major has 4 #'s). Do I use the E as a Major or like I asked, do I still continue to use only the Dmaj # and b??? Help. Very confusing.
Thank you any one who can help.

Re: Modes

The only confusion seems to be what key to call each mode. I think there needs to be a clearer convention on this.
(notes:) e f# g a b c# d e is the Dorian Mode taken from a Dmajor "mother key", I would think most musos would know what that means, but the question remains what key are we in? Well it's some kind of E, and since the third note is one and a half tones from the first it is some kind of E minor . Anything with the third note at that distance from the first is minor, and anything with the third note two full tones from the first is major. So I think the clearest name for the key of the above scale is:

E minor ( Dorian Mode)

or if you really want to spell it out:

E minor ( Dorian Mode-from D major)

We generally learn our modes in C and then work them out in other keys.

Risking labouring the point,
A mode formed by starting on the second note of a major scale will always be Dorian.
A mode formed by starting on the third note of a major scale will always be Phrygian. etc

The trick with modes is making the new key note sound like "home". There is usually a little sequence or a temporary change to the scale to point to the new "home". Using the above Dorian example, lines finishing with (chords) Dm C Dm
will make the Dm chord sound like the piece could finish there. The key note of a piece will always make it sound finished. ( which doesn't mean you MUST finish on the key note)
In E Phrygian (which by the way is minor) based on C major, we have (notes) e f g a b c d e
The chords available are the same chords available to C major ; that is:
Em F G Am Bdim C Dm but finishing on Em can sound indefinite. In flamenco etc., E major , which is not strictly in the mode, is substituted for Em especially at the end of lines, to give a bolder finish. So we have 3 major chords in a row;

G F E ( sounds Flamencoesque already ) We would use C major pattern ( no #'s) for lead runs except when the E major chord crops up, in which case we might finish a line on a g# note ( E major includes g#, Em includes g )

One more example: Lets say we want the Mixolydian mode in E . That mode starts on the 5th note of a major pattern, so counting back, we know that A must be the "mother" key. A has c# f# and g#, so we get:
e f# g# a b c# d e
(The only difference from E major is the position of the 7th note. In E major we would have a d#)
This mode has a bluesy sound because it includes E7 (rather than Emaj7) as a chord available on the "home" note. It would not really include a B7, which has a d# note in it, but to get a convincing feeling of E being "home" you would often play B7 (rather than Bmaj7) before E.
When a blues harmonica player picks up an A harp to play in E, they are playing in the Mixolydian mode.
So modes are moods, and the feel of each one is more important than its name. Practicing against a low drone note on the new "home" can help.

Re: Modes

I took some time and care to answer this, but my post seems to have been wiped within a half hour.

Use serial # to find guitar specs? HELP!!

Hello, i was wondering if any one knew how i could use the serial number on a guitar to find out things like:
-when it was made?
-what type of wood for neck and body
-pickups
-length of neck and such
is there a website or someething?
ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED!!!!
thanks
-preston

Crate PFM 60 part numbers

I have a Crate PFM -60 with bad output transistors. They have no numbers on them. Can anyone tell me what they are supposed to be?

Need help in identifying Ibanez Musician

Hi, I'm looking for an Ibanez Musician to buy. I have found one and the guy sent me some pictures on it. I have however problem in identifying which model it is.
It looks just like an ordinary MC150 with the mic switch on upper part of the guitar. What puzzles me is that it has an tremolo bridge. I have never seen any pictures of an Musician with a tremolo. Does anyone have any idea of what model it could be?
Thanks, Magnus

Re: Need help in identifying Ibanez Musician

: Hi, I'm looking for an Ibanez Musician to buy. I have found one and the guy sent me some pictures on it. I have however problem in identifying which model it is.
: It looks just like an ordinary MC150 with the mic switch on upper part of the guitar. What puzzles me is that it has an tremolo bridge. I have never seen any pictures of an Musician with a tremolo. Does anyone have any idea of what model it could be?
: Thanks, Magnus

there once was a couple of missing people here that would of answered by now. you may have to direct your question at www.ibanezcollectors.com - greetings from friends at jemsite and ibanez collectors

Re: Need help in identifying Ibanez Musician

: Hi, I'm looking for an Ibanez Musician to buy. I have found one and the guy sent me some pictures on it. I have however problem in identifying which model it is.
: It looks just like an ordinary MC150 with the mic switch on upper part of the guitar. What puzzles me is that it has an tremolo bridge. I have never seen any pictures of an Musician with a tremolo. Does anyone have any idea of what model it could be?
: Thanks, Magnus

Hey man don't worry. I've seen some rigged up Ibanez Musicians' You know how the 80's were. Do it Yourself. Well Send the pics to my e-mail and I will check it out for you. I own an Ibanez Musician 200 ds and a mc150 like you are hopefully buying. It was most likely put on a while back when decided that they were not good at guitar and needed a tremelo to put out the sounds they wanted because the guitar was not good enough. but I"ll check out the pics and try to verify it hope this helps................Later

Crate GLX30 question

I've had a Crate GLX30 for my entire guitarplaying carreer and i'm looking for a stronger sound but i dont have enough money to buy a new amp. i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what i could do. i've been wondering about the speaker jack but wasnt sure if it was any use, and if so, wut kind of speaker would be good.

Crate GLX30 question

I've had a Crate GLX30 for my entire guitarplaying carreer and i'm looking for a stronger sound but i dont have enough money to buy a new amp. i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what i could do. i've been wondering about the speaker jack but wasnt sure if it was any use, and if so, wut kind of speaker would be good.

A great idea for this board.( If I do say so myself)

In labouring to answer questions on scales and chords, I realise how useful it would be to be able to post DIAGRAMS on this board. Maybe some computer wiz can work out how to put up a grid that we can use for chord diagrams and scales etc.

Which reminds me to mention tabledit.com which has a great system based on a small free program. I get huge mileage out of this program.

Re: A great idea for this board.( If I do say so myself)

It wouldn't be hard to do a diagram in ASCii would it?

: In labouring to answer questions on scales and chords, I realise how useful it would be to be able to post DIAGRAMS on this board. Maybe some computer wiz can work out how to put up a grid that we can use for chord diagrams and scales etc.

: Which reminds me to mention tabledit.com which has a great system based on a small free program. I get huge mileage out of this program.

Re: A great idea for this board.( If I do say so myself)

I suppose not, but wouldn't it be cool to be able to scribble something up with the mouse?

Looking for an SGX any color from 98 or 99

I've been looking around for a Giboson Sg-x and I can't find one anywhere so if anyone has one that they're looking to get rid of for cheap or knows where I can get cheap, email me!

iron maiden patches for zoom1010

iron maiden & stratovarius patches for zoom1010

MODERATOR, AM I WASTING MY TIME POSTING HERE?

A few carefully thought out replies of mine, totally on topic, seem to have disappeared within a half hour of posting. Meanwhile some far less topical postings remain. Should I bother answering any other postings?

Just a browser problem , sorry.

I quit IE and tried again with Netscape. All my postings were there, even though I hadn't been able to get them on IE even after emptying the cache, deleting the cookies and refreshing.Excuse me for getting upset.

Re: Just a browser problem , sorry.

No problems :)

: I quit IE and tried again with Netscape. All my postings were there, even though I hadn't been able to get them on IE even after emptying the cache, deleting the cookies and refreshing.Excuse me for getting upset.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.