Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - November, 2004

Advertisement

Archive for posts from November, 2004

ArchiveOctober 2004 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2004 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2004 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2004 ] [ ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

how much is my strat worth?

ok so who can tell me what mw strat is worth? i bought it in 1978(its a 72 left handed model)I paid £275 then, the only mod done to it was done before i bought it and is a dimarzio paf pro humbucker on the bridge. also it is one of the first 3 bolt neck strats, any ideas please? thanks a lot

Re: how much is my strat worth?

if it were in total original condition, and right handed, i would expect to see it for sale for around £1000 - £1500, shouldnt think left handed would effect its value much, maybe it will take a little longer to sell it. But with all these 'older' guitars originality is the paramount, the original case would also be included in the valuation above.

Re: how much is my strat worth?

PARAMUNT HAND FINISHED GUITAR MODEL#pa632 year 73

Violin bow used on a guitar

I recently bought a $15.00 violin bow from a local music store. I have listened to all of the Zeppelin albums and nothing has interested me more than the use of the violin bow by Jimmy Page. I was wondering if there is something i should do (other then rosin the bow, thats all anyone ever tells me) to achive the sound of Mr. Page on such classics as Dazed And Confused.

Re: Violin bow used on a guitar

: I recently bought a $15.00 violin bow from a local music store. I have listened to all of the Zeppelin albums and nothing has interested me more than the use of the violin bow by Jimmy Page. I was wondering if there is something i should do (other then rosin the bow, thats all anyone ever tells me) to achive the sound of Mr. Page on such classics as Dazed And Confused.

Certainly people would tell you to rosin the bow. It's like a joke. I want to play bow guitar like Jimmy Page too when I get around to it. Sorry I don't have time to look for pictures or check DVD's at the moment. Gotta love his style and copy it, with the bow exactly right.

If there's been something wrong for you, you didn't say there was, but consider the bow. You probably have the horsehair which seems right instead of synthetic which probably didn't exist when Jimmy was at it. But, big but, I wonder if he used a German or English style bow? You can tell by the frog where the hair is anchored. I would use a German style frog which is higher and would increase the angle of attacl on the strings, because the readius of the strings on a Les Paul is so flat, unlike the cello, so we need all the help we can get. Andrew

: : I recently bought a $15.00 violin bow from a local music store. I have listened to all of the Zeppelin albums and nothing has interested me more than the use of the violin bow by Jimmy Page. I was wondering if there is something i should do (other then rosin the bow, thats all anyone ever tells me) to achive the sound of Mr. Page on such classics as Dazed And Confused.

: Certainly people would tell you to rosin the bow. It's like a joke. I want to play bow guitar like Jimmy Page too when I get around to it. Sorry I don't have time to look for pictures or check DVD's at the moment. Gotta love his style and copy it, with the bow exactly right.

: If there's been something wrong for you, you didn't say there was, but consider the bow. You probably have the horsehair which seems right instead of synthetic which probably didn't exist when Jimmy was at it. But, big but, I wonder if he used a German or English style bow? You can tell by the frog where the hair is anchored. I would use a German style frog which is higher and would increase the angle of attacl on the strings, because the readius of the strings on a Les Paul is so flat, unlike the cello, so we need all the help we can get. Andrew

Son, you need help spelling. Attack the radius. Dwight

: : I recently bought a $15.00 violin bow from a local music store. I have listened to all of the Zeppelin albums and nothing has interested me more than the use of the violin bow by Jimmy Page. I was wondering if there is something i should do (other then rosin the bow, thats all anyone ever tells me) to achive the sound of Mr. Page on such classics as Dazed And Confused.

: Certainly people would tell you to rosin the bow. It's like a joke. I want to play bow guitar like Jimmy Page too when I get around to it. Sorry I don't have time to look for pictures or check DVD's at the moment. Gotta love his style and copy it, with the bow exactly right.

: If there's been something wrong for you, you didn't say there was, but consider the bow. You probably have the horsehair which seems right instead of synthetic which probably didn't exist when Jimmy was at it. But, big but, I wonder if he used a German or English style bow? You can tell by the frog where the hair is anchored. I would use a German style frog which is higher and would increase the angle of attacl on the strings, because the readius of the strings on a Les Paul is so flat, unlike the cello, so we need all the help we can get. Andrew

Son, you need help spelling. Attack the radius. Dwight

: : : I recently bought a $15.00 violin bow from a local music store. I have listened to all of the Zeppelin albums and nothing has interested me more than the use of the violin bow by Jimmy Page. I was wondering if there is something i should do (other then rosin the bow, thats all anyone ever tells me) to achive the sound of Mr. Page on such classics as Dazed And Confused.

: : Certainly people would tell you to rosin the bow. It's like a joke. I want to play bow guitar like Jimmy Page too when I get around to it. Sorry I don't have time to look for pictures or check DVD's at the moment. Gotta love his style and copy it, with the bow exactly right.

: : If there's been something wrong for you, you didn't say there was, but consider the bow. You probably have the horsehair which seems right instead of synthetic which probably didn't exist when Jimmy was at it. But, big but, I wonder if he used a German or English style bow? You can tell by the frog where the hair is anchored. I would use a German style frog which is higher and would increase the angle of attacl on the strings, because the readius of the strings on a Les Paul is so flat, unlike the cello, so we need all the help we can get. Andrew

: Son, you need help spelling. Attack the radius. Dwight

Bow playing is awesome there are swedish bands that play only with bows
Jimmy Page Rocks

Andrew,
Jonathan Wilson here. I am somewhat of an expert on this topic (bowing guitars) and have done this for many years. Here is a link to my FAQ page where I tackle this topic.
http://bowedguitar.tripod.com/faq.html
Have a look at www.bowedguitar.com also, you might find it interesting. I am also producing a DVD on the topic but it may not be available until 2005. Cheers!
J

acoustic electric....

I am buying an acoustic electric for my 19 year old son. I have played acoutstic for years, and would like this guitar to have nice tone, a softer action, but room to grow so to speak...suggestions?? Price range from 250-550 is acceptable.

Re: acoustic electric....

by accoustic electric i think you mean an accoustic guitar with a pickup inside? one of the best makes for this type of instrument is Takamine, which will be at the top end of your budget, Yamaha do an APX4 which is very good too, also at the top end of your budget, if it were me i would buy a used one, there are lots of very nice guitars of this type out there, in England we have a range of guitars by a company called Crafter, but i dont think you have a supplier in the states, these are fantastic value for money guitars.
if you want a true idea of the worthiness of a particular model, then check out :
http://www.harmony-central.com/User_Reviews/
if you see a nice looking guitar for sale in your price range, check it out on this web site, it will give you a good guide.

Yeah I agree with you there Lee. I have a second hand Takamine, very nice too. Price was around £650. Worth every penny. I also have a Yamaha APX 3. Similar to the APX 4 only without the gloss finish which I didn't really like anyway. The sound quality seemed faultless on either model plugged or unplugged.

: I am buying an acoustic electric for my 19 year old son. I have played acoutstic for years, and would like this guitar to have nice tone, a softer action, but room to grow so to speak...suggestions?? Price range from 250-550 is acceptable.

As I reading the reply from Lee (glad to hear from Lee) I somehow posted a blank message. Sorry.

My first point, good advice there to start with. Second point, for your level of interest which I believe to be most sincere with a high level of commitment, I reserve a special website for people in the North American market. I'm a little frustrated, I couldn't find the url. link re: all guitars in the Godin family, then I went to www.godinguitars.com and the entire web is identical, word for word, same brand names and pictures etc. I suggest you click on all half-dozen options (the pictures) and read it all. What a treat for the senses, if you a craving info on guitars, including acoustic electric guitars that you can actually buy, and live with, in your price range.

I personally recommend the Norman, or if you want a variety of cosmetic styles, then Seagull. For a solid back - simon Patrick. At least we know where and how these fine guitars are made: Canada.

A reliable confidant of mine has just returned from China where he visited a no-name facility with Yamaha guitars under construction. Perhaps the name Yamaha wasn't technically added to the guitars yet, maybe they were "incomplete" but it was pretty sad. He looked at the quality and said that others were far superior. And I have always liked and have Yamaha as well. Have really enjoyed my Seagulls & Normans and recommend them now without hesitation.

Hope this helps. Strat Man Dwight

Good advice Dwight, all those models quoted are of a very high standard, i wasnt aware of the Yamaha guitar issue you raised, mine is a 95 model and plays very well, but plugged in it plays excellent.

: Good advice Dwight, all those models quoted are of a very high standard, i wasnt aware of the Yamaha guitar issue you raised, mine is a 95 model and plays very well, but plugged in it plays excellent.

Thanks Lee. And the softer action should be on the simon & Patrick with a 24.8" scale, similar to Gibsons.

Strat Man Dwight

Leslie 45

Leslie 45

This popular thread has been given its own page : Leslie 45

Guitar Racks @ www.Guitarstorage.com

My brother just got one of these for me as an early Christmas present. I can't say enough good things about it. I've warped a guitar or two in my collection by storing it in an awkward position but now I dont have to worry about that anymore. Plus, I have more room in my studio to work now that I can organize my cases and keep 'em out of the way. check it out.
http://www.guitarstorage.com

recording

If my computer has the system requirements fo guitar pro or cakewalk will there be anything else that I will need for basic recording of my guitar on my computer.

Re: recording

: If my computer has the system requirements fo guitar pro or cakewalk will there be anything else that I will need for basic recording of my guitar on my computer.

Like they say, just plug in, check your levels and press record. You can even record your whole band. All the hardware you need is supposed to be there. Andrew

run my guitar in stereo

run my guitar in stereo

This popular thread has been given its own page : run my guitar in stereo

1914 / 1915 Gibson Guitar

1914 / 1915 Gibson Guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : 1914 / 1915 Gibson Guitar

got a bass and cluelesss

I have a Kay bass that is around 35-40 yrs old bequeath to me from my grandfather. It is in mint condition and I can not find a serial number at all.
It is not acoustic. It is super old.
I would like to be pointed in the right direction to find out about the beauty I have before me.
Since I do not know where this message will be posted feel free to contact me via email.

Thanks,
femmefrazzle@aol.com

starting

Im 15 years old and I wanna play the bass guitar. I was wondering if people might think this is to late to start learning to play, also if I do decide to learn to play I was wanting to know which kind of guitar would you recommend, Im looking for something thats not to exspensive but not so cheap its gonna fall apart on me in the first year, and also maybe a cheap amp too.My last question is has anyone every self taught themselves to play, Im having trouble finding someone to give me lessons so i think i might teach myself

Re: starting

Hey I'm 15 and I just got an Acoustic to start. But sorry I'm not teaching myself.

Minta chord lagu2nya iwan fals donk

Minta semua chord lagu2nya iwan fals, secepatnya ya

Re: Minta chord lagu2nya iwan fals donk

Yes I saw your picture at www.buttholesurfers.com. You look very good. thanks W.A.Y.

Minta chord lagunya padi

Minta semua chord lagu2nya padi donk

1977 ibanez GB10

I'm looking for an Ibanez GB 10,year 1977.In very good condition.If you want to sell one.Send me an email.thanks.I'm in Paris.

Drummer Needed - Seattle

Bass and guitar/vocals looking for drummer to write, record and play shows. We have some songs as well as a ton of ideas for new ones. We have a studio on capitol hill where we rehearse and record, and we already have a nice 4 piece drum kit waiting for you. All tube amps and good gear.

We are musicians who know how to tune and intone our instruments, and we love to play challenging music. In the past, reviews of our music compared us to bands like Nirvana, Ramones, Rush, Live, The Cult, Jane's Addiction. We're interested in persuing a more original and artistic direction with our music. Lately I have been listening to The Vines, Muse, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Jet, A Perfect Circle.

We are looking for a drummer who is tight, has good meter, hard-hitting when necessary and able to dynamically adapt to the needs and structure of the song. If you have creative input as far as the sound goes, even better. We have kit for you to play, but you can use your own if you prefer. In the past, we have always gotten a great reception, reviews, and lots of gigs and buzz and I want to maintain that tradition. In addition to being musically talented, ideally you will be reliable and committed and interested in helping to promote the band as well.

This is a ground floor opportunity to get in at the start of something cool, you can even help come up with a name. At the same time, we have a back library of 30+ songs if we wanted to hit the ground running and be playing shows immediately.

Send me an email, or give me a call to come pick up a CD or schedule an audition.

Thanks,

Josh
206-324-2476
treewalk@hotmail.com

me-10

I have a Fender M80 Stereo Chorus Amp and an ME-10. I wanna know how to configure it to get stereo effects. It has an effects loop send and return. What do I plug in?

takamine F340SD 1962

Can anyone tell me what my takamine F340SD is valued at my dad just gave it to me after he had it for a blissfull 40 yrs..It was made in 1962
thanks

Boss TU-2

hello,

i heard that a boss TU-2 tuner pedal can run up to 5 other pedals to linkup, any truth in this?

thanks for your help

alex

Re: Boss TU-2

No, it is not true that it can power 5 other pedals,

: No, it is not true that it can power 5 other pedals, IT CAN POWER 8 OTHER PEDALS!!! How cool is that?! I didn't believe it at first but then I bought one, not to power other pedals (but for the Tuner aspect of it), and sure enough, it can power 8 pedals. Although you have to purchase the correct power supply (Musicians Friend $20), it is worth it to not have to keep buying batteries.

i see, so you just buy the tu-2, one power supply and thats it, it can power other pedals, as well as non-boss ones?
thanks for the help,

alex

for non-Boss pedals, check for correct voltage, polairty, and socket type, it should be ok though.

Looking to link up to george dennis wah, danelectro hash brown flanger, boss metalzone and ibanez tubescreamer?

any ideas if this is ok?

: i see, so you just buy the tu-2, one power supply and thats it, it can power other pedals, as well as non-boss ones?
: thanks for the help,

: alex

You could also look into a "Daisy Chain" which I believe connects to the one adapter, and distributes the power to ... about 6 pedals? I don't know where to get one besides ebay, pedalwarehouse, actionkl maybe? One of my kids knows this stuff, but is a little ticked off at the moderator. So I ask him/her and get no reply. Strat man Dwight

Yes, there is a pwer supply cable with 6 or 8 connecters on it which distributes the power to additional pedals (about $12, Musicians Friend). They power almost any pedal. I have lots of pedals that aren't Boss and I have had no problems at all.

preset of sum41 with a digitech gnx 1

i've got a gnx 1 and i want to know how can i get the same sound than sum 41

my fender squire strat mini...how much is it worth?

i have a fender squire strat barely used. found it was to small and needs a new guitar any suggestions how much its woth now it was worth 350$ brand new...christmis present. and i have a peavey rage 158 amp.is it any good for punk music

Dunlop GCB-95 For Sale!

Hey,

I'm selling my Jim Dunlop GCB-95 wah pedal on Ebay. I'm also including the AC adaptor at no additional charge. It's practically brand new seeing how I used it only about 6 times in a non-gigging context. The pedal is great for all styles of rock, but it just doesn't fit into my playing style. If the pedal doesn't sell on Ebay in this auction, I am quite willing to sell it off Ebay to any interested party.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3760275916&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Michael Smith

synthesizer leads

hey:

anyone have sheet music for synth leads in run like hell & welcome 2 machine?

thanx

takamine F340SD

takamine F340SD

This popular thread has been given its own page : takamine F340SD

Kaycee guitars

I have a guitar manufactured for kansas city music services wholesale distributers. It is called a Kaycee guitar {electric}....does anyone know anything about that company or the guitar and the possible year they were manufactured?

Kaycee guitar

I have recently received a Kaycee guitar also, have you been able to find any serial numbers on yours, because I cant find any on mine.

Creer Guitar

Can anyone tell me about a guitar with the name Creer on the neck. I have been told there is only a few of these around and that Mark Knoffler plays one. If anyone has information about it or knows where I can find out, I would appreciate it
Sue

Re: Creer Guitar

Hmm ... I have quite a bit of info on Mark Knopfler's Suhr, Pensa-Suhr, and Pensa guitars of the late 90's. Then somewhere, but where? - some info on his other guitar. I don't recognize the name Creer. Strat Man Dwight

Mark Knopfler

I just checked one of my books which sort of cross references artists with their guitars, but it's not perfect. I've got pics of Mark's Red Strat from Sultans of Swing, a Gibson ES-175 Hollow Body, and his Custom Made red Schecter "Tele" for the Nelson Mandela concert. But in addition to his many Pensa-Suhrs, I still feel there's a guitar missing. It was SuperStrat-like, natural honey coloured, and I can't find it anywhere? Strat man Dwight

Re: Mark Knopfler

Hi,

I just checked "Guitar Styles", a songbook series dedicated to M. Knopfler, including some info on his gear.
Perhaps you are talking about a Schecter 'Strat', Sunburst (1980) he used on "Tunnel of Love and "Going Home".
He got also, that you have not quoted, a Gibson Les Paul Sunburst ('86), a Gibson "Super 400" CES ('53, old one...) with a natural finish, a reddish Gretch "Super Chet" and of course his steel guitar, a National "Duolian" Style O.

Well.. i've lent the second volume of the series for now, so I can't tell you more. I hope i could be of some service. Would you wish some photos, I can of course scan and mail you that.

Greetings,
G.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.