Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - December, 2004

Archive for posts from December, 2004

ArchiveNovember 2004 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2004 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2004 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2004 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2004 ] [ ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: want to perform

He is a great artist. He should get a chance for sure. I bet everyone will like his music. He is a person who struggled a lot but got what he wanted with his hard work and practice.

Squire Standard Strat Bridge!

Hello, I've just purchased the above and am a little perplexed with the American twin-pivot bridge. I haven't come across this before and am wondering if I've set it up right. I've screwed the two front pivot screws down flush and angled the rear edge of the plate approx. 1/8" up from the guitar. Is this correct or should the bridge be positioned level with the guitar like a Floyd Rose? Thanks for any answers.

Re: Squire Standard Strat Bridge!

: Hello, I've just purchased the above and am a little perplexed with the American twin-pivot bridge. I haven't come across this before and am wondering if I've set it up right. I've screwed the two front pivot screws down flush and angled the rear edge of the plate approx. 1/8" up from the guitar. Is this correct or should the bridge be positioned level with the guitar like a Floyd Rose? Thanks for any answers.

You did it right, if you mean you have the pivot posts screwed into the body just to the point where the thread disappears into bushings. You should also be able to pull up on the trem 25%.

Old Kay guitar, looking for info.

I have an old Kay guitar that needs the neck reset. I'm not sure if it is worth investing in the repairs. It is in nice condition other than the neck. It's a cutaway archtop and the only markings I can see other than the Kay name is a number inside ( K1 8901 ) could be model and/or serial number. Any info such as age and if worth repairing? Thanks

Re: Old Kay guitar, looking for info.

I have one that I purchased off ebay. I refretted it, dialed in the action, added a floating pickup and flatwound strings. The thing is an absolute kick to play. If you reset the neck (which I would recommend) change the neck angle. It just isn't steep enough to drive that mammoth spruce top in the stock configuration or you could electrify it and have a realy cool jazz guitar

alternate

hi.does anyone knows some good song including practice for alternate picking?

Re:I wanna learn how to play the bass!

Does someone wanna teach me how to play the bass?....

Honestly, pick up a guitar and teach yourself, half of us here did it on a 6 string electric which is alot more complicated than a simple little bass
: Does someone wanna teach me how to play the bass?....

:well of course you want to learn bass, it is on of the sweetest instruments on earth, all you have to do is get the tabs then listen to the song and learn the bass line from the tabs while listening to the song, no big deal, by the way, chicks that play bass are hot!

Harold "Shot" Jackson

Anybody know what tunings and gauges of strings Shot Jackson used on his 7 string Sho Bro?
Thanks
David Dean White
http://www.garageband.com/user/DavidDeanWhite

Iceman value

I have recently received a close to mint condition, if not, Mint condition Ibanez Iceman PS10 model signed by all the members of kiss, im not exactly sure if its a PS10 but im pretty sure it is. I was wonder just exactly how much this guitar is worth? anybody has any ideas, id like to know. Thanks, Trevor

Susan tedeschi

I am looking for chords for Susan Tedeschi music.
Songs(Just won't burn, Better Days,Friars Point and any others, I have 1,(It hurts so Bad)

Value of 1969 Gibson L6S

Is there a way to find out the value of a 1969 Gibson L6S guitar? Has a "chicken head" pick-up switch, actually a knob like the dial on an egg timer, with 5 settings. Anyone have any suggestions? "Pre-shade it".

J&D 5 string

i want to play bass

les paul studio defect

i just received my les paul studio guitar from ups and was so excited to play it. when i did, i noticed the G string would make a buzzing sound when hit open or from frets 1 and 2. no other string made that noise. is there anything i can do to get it fixed or should i send the guitar back? it really bothers me. OR SHOULD I JUST LIVE WITH THE BUZZING?

Re: les paul studio defect

Sounds like the strings rattling on the frets, but im not a les paul perfect guy so Lee should take this one

: i just received my les paul studio guitar from ups and was so excited to play it. when i did, i noticed the G string would make a buzzing sound when hit open or from frets 1 and 2. no other string made that noise. is there anything i can do to get it fixed or should i send the guitar back? it really bothers me. OR SHOULD I JUST LIVE WITH THE BUZZING?

I found this on a review of the studio (Could be a loose spring):

The guitar came with Gibson .09-.42 strings and were promptly changed to .10-.46 sized strings, which are my personal favorites. Set up was excellent from the factory with intonation dead on — even with the string change. I did notice that the "B" string saddle rattled when I bent a note on that string. I turned the screw a few turns and then readjusted the intonation. That took care of the loose spring.

: Sounds like the strings rattling on the frets, but im not a les paul perfect guy so Lee should take this one

: : i just received my les paul studio guitar from ups and was so excited to play it. when i did, i noticed the G string would make a buzzing sound when hit open or from frets 1 and 2. no other string made that noise. is there anything i can do to get it fixed or should i send the guitar back? it really bothers me. OR SHOULD I JUST LIVE WITH THE BUZZING?

sounds like an incorrectly cut nut, you definatly should not live with it, get in contact with the supplier and get them to deal with it, you can prove the point by slackening off the G string, and placing a little tiny peice of paper under the G string where it runs over the nut, you need to lift it by about 1/2 millimetre, if the buzzing stops then it is a nut cut too deep, and the nut needs replacing, not a job i would recomend to a beginer. your gibson warranty will cover this problem.

Guitar tremolo

Hey I have a squier stratocaster double fat strat and when you bend a note really far it comes out of tune is there anything i can adjust, should i buy a new tremolo? or new tuning keys? i dont have a lock on my nut but could i get one put on? or is there a website where i could buy new tuning keys or a new tremolo for my specific guitar please give me some info on a number of things i can adjust its a good guitar just some minor parts the pickups are great though, thank you

Re: Guitar tremolo

: I'm no expert by any means but, I would first try a locking nut. It should help keep your guitar in tune better when using the tremelo. (assuming bridge plate is parallel with body).
: Hey I have a squier stratocaster double fat strat and when you bend a note really far it comes out of tune is there anything i can adjust, should i buy a new tremolo? or new tuning keys? i dont have a lock on my nut but could i get one put on? or is there a website where i could buy new tuning keys or a new tremolo for my specific guitar please give me some info on a number of things i can adjust its a good guitar just some minor parts the pickups are great though, thank you

: : I'm no expert by any means but, I would first try a locking nut. It should help keep your guitar in tune better when using the tremelo. (assuming bridge plate is parallel with body).
: : Hey I have a squier stratocaster double fat strat and when you bend a note really far it comes out of tune is there anything i can adjust, should i buy a new tremolo? or new tuning keys? i dont have a lock on my nut but could i get one put on? or is there a website where i could buy new tuning keys or a new tremolo for my specific guitar please give me some info on a number of things i can adjust its a good guitar just some minor parts the pickups are great though, thank you

This forum's not my gig, but let me say something first. It pains me to see someone having Strat trouble, when you had Strat experts here, who bailed out and are still bailing out. You've got a couple of really sharp girls, a messenger and a been there, from the biz. Look at your question. Yours is very clear and polite.

Trevor's back for your floyd rose questions. Couple a months back, I saw a floyd master here regularly, then his apprentice. Gone. They get 70 bucks an hour, $35 labour for changing floyd strings, so why the static here? Welcome Trevor back and treat him right.

Don't put a locking nut on your Squier. The problem starts right within the trem block. They are not cast and machined to close tolerances. No good quality trem block will fit the overseas bridge plate. If you wanna change the whole trem, check the fit from an old Ibanez Roadstar, and Fernandes, which is nearly drilled the same. Easier to keep yours and do this:

Use Fender bullet strings. Switch to graphtech saddles, string trees, and possibly the nut. That would change the tone of a single coil Strat, but won't affect your humbucker sounds much.

The last talk about lubricants on this forum got ridiculous. So try white lithium grease which is clean and cheap. Dabit on all contact points of the trem, claw, springs, everything. If a floating trem is not of great importance, turn the claw screws in a full turn, or add 1 spring. 2 sets of 2 on the outsides, or look into tremsetter from hipshot.

Let 'em know how it turns out. Real feedback is good.

Thankyou for your respect towards me and all others in this forum who deserve it. Have a merry christmas Jaybob

: : : I'm no expert by any means but, I would first try a locking nut. It should help keep your guitar in tune better when using the tremelo. (assuming bridge plate is parallel with body).
: : : Hey I have a squier stratocaster double fat strat and when you bend a note really far it comes out of tune is there anything i can adjust, should i buy a new tremolo? or new tuning keys? i dont have a lock on my nut but could i get one put on? or is there a website where i could buy new tuning keys or a new tremolo for my specific guitar please give me some info on a number of things i can adjust its a good guitar just some minor parts the pickups are great though, thank you

: This forum's not my gig, but let me say something first. It pains me to see someone having Strat trouble, when you had Strat experts here, who bailed out and are still bailing out. You've got a couple of really sharp girls, a messenger and a been there, from the biz. Look at your question. Yours is very clear and polite.

: Trevor's back for your floyd rose questions. Couple a months back, I saw a floyd master here regularly, then his apprentice. Gone. They get 70 bucks an hour, $35 labour for changing floyd strings, so why the static here? Welcome Trevor back and treat him right.

: Don't put a locking nut on your Squier. The problem starts right within the trem block. They are not cast and machined to close tolerances. No good quality trem block will fit the overseas bridge plate. If you wanna change the whole trem, check the fit from an old Ibanez Roadstar, and Fernandes, which is nearly drilled the same. Easier to keep yours and do this:

: Use Fender bullet strings. Switch to graphtech saddles, string trees, and possibly the nut. That would change the tone of a single coil Strat, but won't affect your humbucker sounds much.

: The last talk about lubricants on this forum got ridiculous. So try white lithium grease which is clean and cheap. Dabit on all contact points of the trem, claw, springs, everything. If a floating trem is not of great importance, turn the claw screws in a full turn, or add 1 spring. 2 sets of 2 on the outsides, or look into tremsetter from hipshot.

: Let 'em know how it turns out. Real feedback is good.

: Thankyou for your respect towards me and all others in this forum who deserve it. Have a merry christmas strataholic (sorry read the wrong part in the information.)

: : : : I'm no expert by any means but, I would first try a locking nut. It should help keep your guitar in tune better when using the tremelo. (assuming bridge plate is parallel with body).
: : : : Hey I have a squier stratocaster double fat strat and when you bend a note really far it comes out of tune is there anything i can adjust, should i buy a new tremolo? or new tuning keys? i dont have a lock on my nut but could i get one put on? or is there a website where i could buy new tuning keys or a new tremolo for my specific guitar please give me some info on a number of things i can adjust its a good guitar just some minor parts the pickups are great though, thank you

: : This forum's not my gig, but let me say something first. It pains me to see someone having Strat trouble, when you had Strat experts here, who bailed out and are still bailing out. You've got a couple of really sharp girls, a messenger and a been there, from the biz. Look at your question. Yours is very clear and polite.

: : Trevor's back for your floyd rose questions. Couple a months back, I saw a floyd master here regularly, then his apprentice. Gone. They get 70 bucks an hour, $35 labour for changing floyd strings, so why the static here? Welcome Trevor back and treat him right.

: : Don't put a locking nut on your Squier. The problem starts right within the trem block. They are not cast and machined to close tolerances. No good quality trem block will fit the overseas bridge plate. If you wanna change the whole trem, check the fit from an old Ibanez Roadstar, and Fernandes, which is nearly drilled the same. Easier to keep yours and do this:

: : Use Fender bullet strings. Switch to graphtech saddles, string trees, and possibly the nut. That would change the tone of a single coil Strat, but won't affect your humbucker sounds much.

: : The last talk about lubricants on this forum got ridiculous. So try white lithium grease which is clean and cheap. Dabit on all contact points of the trem, claw, springs, everything. If a floating trem is not of great importance, turn the claw screws in a full turn, or add 1 spring. 2 sets of 2 on the outsides, or look into tremsetter from hipshot.

: : Let 'em know how it turns out. Real feedback is good.

:just put more springs in, if you already have 5, try replacing them for stronger ones

free downloding

i want free downloding

Re: free downloding songs

: i want free downloding
hindi songs

Crate C-20 Amplifier

Anyone have or know of where I can obtain a schematic diagram for a Crate C-20 Amplifier?

NUT WIDTH

I am pretty new to playing, and now want to buy a decent guitar. I like to strum, but really like to finger pick blues style. I am torn between the martin 000-15, and Martin om-16gt. The 000-15 has a nut width of 1 11/16 and the 0m-16gt has 1 3/4 nut. I have normal to smallish hands, any body got advide/experience

thanks

danny

Re: NUT WIDTH

: I am pretty new to playing, and now want to buy a decent guitar. I like to strum, but really like to finger pick blues style. I am torn between the martin 000-15, and Martin om-16gt. The 000-15 has a nut width of 1 11/16 and the 0m-16gt has 1 3/4 nut. I have normal to smallish hands, any body got advide/experience

: thanks

: danny

Danny, I am sooooooo glad you asked this question. Since all Martins have the new low profile neck, that's not a problem for you, and neither is nut width. There is not any real difference in nut width, it's like splitting hairs.

Seems you gotta have that Martin, so I'll not refer you to Gibson for a shorter scale. You know your own mind and hands, and overall physique, and I believe that's why you're stuck on Martin comfort, sound and playability, when it comes to size of body.

With your hands as you describe them, I really don't see nut width as an issue. Length of scale is an issue. You quoted guitar specs correctly, but try the 000-18 and 000-28 with 1 11/16 nut width plus what I think you need: 24.9" scale instead of 25.4". How are you at spreading your fingers with your hand around the neck?

In a short-scale, I like the 000-28 with its glossy finish. Tell us what you think. Good luck & comfortable playing!

: : I am pretty new to playing, and now want to buy a decent guitar. I like to strum, but really like to finger pick blues style. I am torn between the martin 000-15, and Martin om-16gt. The 000-15 has a nut width of 1 11/16 and the 0m-16gt has 1 3/4 nut. I have normal to smallish hands, any body got advide/experience

: : thanks

: : danny

: Danny, I am sooooooo glad you asked this question. Since all Martins have the new low profile neck, that's not a problem for you, and neither is nut width. There is not any real difference in nut width, it's like splitting hairs.

: Seems you gotta have that Martin, so I'll not refer you to Gibson for a shorter scale. You know your own mind and hands, and overall physique, and I believe that's why you're stuck on Martin comfort, sound and playability, when it comes to size of body.

: With your hands as you describe them, I really don't see nut width as an issue. Length of scale is an issue. You quoted guitar specs correctly, but try the 000-18 and 000-28 with 1 11/16 nut width plus what I think you need: 24.9" scale instead of 25.4". How are you at spreading your fingers with your hand around the neck?

: In a short-scale, I like the 000-28 with its glossy finish. Tell us what you think. Good luck & comfortable playing!

Dear Gretchen, thank you so much for this informed answer. I am stuck on the 000 shape rather than being stuck on a Martin. You suggestion of a shorter scale sounds like a good idea, do you know if the Gibsons that you mentioned come in 000 style ? once again, thanks for the advice

danny

: : : I am pretty new to playing, and now want to buy a decent guitar. I like to strum, but really like to finger pick blues style. I am torn between the martin 000-15, and Martin om-16gt. The 000-15 has a nut width of 1 11/16 and the 0m-16gt has 1 3/4 nut. I have normal to smallish hands, any body got advide/experience

: : : thanks

: : : danny

: : Danny, I am sooooooo glad you asked this question. Since all Martins have the new low profile neck, that's not a problem for you, and neither is nut width. There is not any real difference in nut width, it's like splitting hairs.

: : Seems you gotta have that Martin, so I'll not refer you to Gibson for a shorter scale. You know your own mind and hands, and overall physique, and I believe that's why you're stuck on Martin comfort, sound and playability, when it comes to size of body.

: : With your hands as you describe them, I really don't see nut width as an issue. Length of scale is an issue. You quoted guitar specs correctly, but try the 000-18 and 000-28 with 1 11/16 nut width plus what I think you need: 24.9" scale instead of 25.4". How are you at spreading your fingers with your hand around the neck?

: : In a short-scale, I like the 000-28 with its glossy finish. Tell us what you think. Good luck & comfortable playing!

: Dear Gretchen, thank you so much for this informed answer. I am stuck on the 000 shape rather than being stuck on a Martin. You suggestion of a shorter scale sounds like a good idea, do you know if the Gibsons that you mentioned come in 000 style ? once again, thanks for the advice

:
: danny

You're welcome Danny. What are we doing here Christmas Eve? The Gibson short scale I was thinking of is the venerable J-45 with a bell shaped body. But the lower bout is way bigger than a Martin triple 0, and it's a stretch getting your right arm all the way over, if that's your strummer. Gibson stopped making their LG series (smaller) parlour guitars in the early 60's. So the Martin body together with the shorter scale is probably the only one of it's kind, but it's the perfect choice anyhow. You could look at the gibson website; I'd be surprised & re-informed if there was anything similar there.

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas, Hope you all have a healthy and peaceful holiday.

Re: Merry Christmas

You too, Lee. Merry Christmas & happy holidays to everyone.

Merry Christmas to you all as well!

Merry christmas to all those who cant make it home form iraq, and merry christmas to the families and friends, hell, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL
trevor

: Merry Christmas to you all as well!

: Merry Christmas, Hope you all have a healthy and peaceful holiday.

Merry Christmas to you and others as well, who keep the forum informative and meaningful. When you share with others for the joy of giving, and not for acceptance or glory, that is truly what it's about. My friends and I share this sentiment with you. All the best in 2005!

: Merry Christmas, Hope you all have a healthy and peaceful holiday.

All the peace & goodwill to you Lee and your friends from this jemsite member and wwww.ibanezcollectors.com.

Get free mobile ring tone from www.ring-tone.co.nr

Get free mobile ring tone from www.ring-tone.co.nr

1951 Martin 00-18

I have a 1951 Martin 00-18 that I purchased from the original owner. This guitar is all oringinal and in pratically mint condition! It is what is called "sunburst" although I personally wouldn't call it sunburst. I am going to be selling it and need to get an idea what it is worth.. Thanks!

sigma guitar model dm 5

sigma guitar model dm 5

This popular thread has been given its own page : sigma guitar model dm 5

help

i need to learn cords i only know two

Re: help

: i need to learn cords i only know two

You can either get a teacher or use internet sites, they usually provide with basic chord knowledge. Also there are books that have chords and lots of pretty pictures :) There's also a program you can try downloading, guitar pro 3 or 4, it's a tabbing program, but provides chord positioning. It can be downloaded from kazaa or googled up. If not, I am able to send it to you by email. Hope this helps.

Resonator Guitar made by "Favorite"

I'm am asking for help about a guitar I have. The name up on the headstock is "Favorite" and it is a resonator style guitar. I cannot find anyone who knows anything about this company. If anyone could give me any info on this guitar it would be greatly appreciated.

schematics for a 5-position switch

To whom is able to help me. I have to install a 5-position Strat switch on an Ibanez with two humbackers COIL TAPPED (two wires) and a single middle coil pickup.Do you know schematic for this combination?
Thank you.

Volume fading on my Marshall Artist 3203

Volume fading on my Marshall Artist 3203

This popular thread has been given its own page : Volume fading on my Marshall Artist 3203

My JTM 30 powers up, but has no sound!

I have a Marshall JTM-30 and it powers up, but has no audio. I have put all new tubes in and it didnt help. If anyone has some ideas, I would greatly appreciate them. Thank You!!

Re: My JTM 30 powers up, but has no sound!

: I have a Marshall JTM-30 and it powers up, but has no audio. I have put all new tubes in and it didnt help. If anyone has some ideas, I would greatly appreciate them. Thank You!!

try a new speaker

Classical mansfield

I have a c-119 classical mansfield guitar. Can anyone give me any information on the this model.

Led Zeppelin sound on Marshall Mg-15CD

Is there any possibility to sound nearly like Mr. Page while I´m playing this amp?
Please, give me some possible settings for this amp.
If there is no way, I can use the Digitech Hot head distortion. If anyone knows settings for this distortion, please post it here too. Or write an e-mail. pepso@seznam.cz

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.