Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - December, 2004

Archive for posts from December, 2004

ArchiveNovember 2004 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2004 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2004 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2004 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2004 ] [ ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

hi

hi dear, how r u?

Pedal Configuration

I've got a Fulltone wah, Mutron III, Carl Martin Comp, Boss Sustain/Comp, TC Electronics Chorus, EH Holier Grail reverb, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Boss Tremlo, Fender Tuner, Boss DA20 Delay w/Tap, Boss Loop Station, Voodoo Lab Pedal Power, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and 2 (two loop)looopers. (4 channels of looper)

All the above pedals are being used with a Fender Prosonic tube amp with a mono effects loop.

Currently - I have the Fultone wah and the mutron III on loooper channel 1 going into the front of the amp. Looper channel two has the compressors to the sparkle drive then to the front of the amp.

Loooper channel 3 has the tremlo going into the amps effects loop and loooper channel 4 has the delay, chorus, Reverb, volume pedal, and loop station all going into the effects loop of the amp.

Problem, I'm getting some unwanted distortion when my volume pedal is not fully engaged. I first put it in line with delay/reverb stuff going to the amps loop, then I tried it in front of the amp. No change. It's an ernie ball, and I like the pedal because it has a tuner out that can be used when the pedal is in silent mode. I may need to find a better sounding volume pedal, but I'm thinking this is a signal/impedence problem since the pedal sounds great fully engaged. Anyone out there have the wisdom to solve this one?

I would love to hear any knowledgable opinion on how to configure these pedals for a tube amp/effects loop in general. Remember, some pedals go in the front of the amp while other are being used in the amps effects loop.

If you are not familiar with the looopers, they are simple effects loops with true bypass designed to help you limit how many pedals you must put in a single signal path. With the looopers I can group pedals into sub groups allowing me to add a group of pedals to the signal path with one tap of a switch. If I am not using delay/reverb/chorus I can disengage that loop with a simple footswitch. This removes that group of pedals from the signal path completely keeping signal integrity as high as possible with true bypass.

HELP ME!

Gil

Les Paul or SG?

I was just wondering, I have a Fender mustang and it's okay. I would like to get a classic sg or a les paul. Any advice?

Re: Les Paul or SG?

read the post below.

Re: Les Paul or SG?

:for one a mustang is a sweet guitar, I can't imagine why you would think it is only "ok". but I can see why you would be thinking of a Gibson for your next guitar, they are the best guitars in the world. I think you should get a les paul, it is by far the sweetest guitar of all time. yeah toni lommi played an SG, but Jimmie Page played a les paul, winner................No duh, Jimmie Page
LONG LIVE THE GODs OF ROCK!!!!!!!! Jimmie Page, Robert Plant,John Bonahm and John Paul Jones

Value

I have a Mid to late 60's Mosrite Gospel solid body Sunburst in original condition. " Never played".
Being a Base player I am now starting to move toward the guitar.

kord gerhana

anyone with kembara's gerhana chord/tab?

austin 735 strat

any info on this model would be nice ive been able to find info on the 731 not the 735

BOSSGT6 TUNES

I have a boss gt6,and i hould like to now te effects to incubus musics and level of effect ex.pardon me.. and what is the "octaver" . boss gt6 have "octaver"..thanks
cheers

Speakers!

What do you think about my idea? First go to & read the link address, below, then think about this! I'll bet that if you made a "golden section spiral cone" & placed a 12" speaker at the exact spot where the spiral = 12", & point it outward, & kept going say (1) "18cps" wave length past the speaker, you would have the best enclosure you could get! NO STANDING WAVE or dead spots in the audio band! What do you think? Let me know if you try it! I wonder if anybody has tried it? N9HLS@WI.RR.COM:-) Keith

Read this link, it explains what I'm talking about!

http://www.mcs.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.Knott/Fibonacci/fibInArt.html#music

tremolo picking

what is tremolo picking im doing this song called cold by AT THE GATES and i have o idea what tremolo picking is

Re: tremolo picking

: what is tremolo picking im doing this song called cold by AT THE GATES and i have o idea what tremolo picking is

Umm...I can't say for sure, but it must invovle picking and working the tremelo bar at the same time. Hope this helps.

Re: tremolo picking

: : what is tremolo picking im doing this song called cold by AT THE GATES and i have o idea what tremolo picking is

: Umm...I can't say for sure, but it must invovle picking and working the tremelo bar at the same time. Hope this helps.

No, sorry, tremolo picking is fast picking of the same note up & down on the same string. It is done by curling the thumb inwards, and using the thumb & index finger to propel the pick, instead of the wrist, as it can not be done with the wrist. You also must choke up a little on the pick. Technically, you can tremolo pick different notes, as long as you fret & pick them on the same string. An ergonomist or physiologist/guitar player would know what I mean. I wonder how many of them are out there?

jackson/charvel guitar

my mom bought me this guitar from a friend and i wanted to know what it was worth. if any one can help me its a charvel by jackson/charvel and the serial number is 297003, its a black six string electric. thanks for the help

Re: jackson/charvel guitar

: my mom bought me this guitar from a friend and i wanted to know what it was worth. if any one can help me its a charvel by jackson/charvel and the serial number is 297003, its a black six string electric. thanks for the help

I have a friend who is probably the best guitar player I know. He has a charvel. He's played a Les Paul, Sg, Mustang, strat....you name it. He swears by that guitar though. Maybe just mess around with the pick-ups and see what you can get.

whammy bar

[The body of this post has been reconstituted from replies so it may differ from what was originally written.]

I just resently got a new guitar. A grey bennett. But I can't figure out how to get the darn whammy bar to work.
I hit it down and plucked a cord and nothing happend.
I tightend it all the way and press down.. but still nothing

Re: whammy bar

oh yeh and it is the
Greg Bennett Malibu MB1

If you don't normally work on your own guitars you might want to take it to your local guitar store to have it adjusted. It is not hard to adjust, but it is VERY time consuming, especially if you have not done it before. If your guitar is still under the 30 day warranty, you'd better take to the place you bought it. If they don't fix it pronto, don't buy from them again, and send a nasty e-mail to Samick. Anyone who sells guitars should set them up before they ever get in your hands. This is becoming rare these days, but it is still done in reputable stores. The warranty is the big deal here. If you don't care, find someone you know, who has been playing a while (5 to 10 years), and ask them to help you.

but what should it be doing? how do i make it work?

:when you use the whammy bar you take a hold of it then play while holding it so the notes flow, or are kinda distorted, if you don't know how it should sound listen to Hendrix: the entire principal behind a whammy bar is to bend the sound

: I just resently got a new guitar. A grey bennett. But I can't figure out how to get the darn whammy bar to work.
: I hit it down and plucked a cord and nothing happend.
: I tightend it all the way and press down.. but still nothing

I know the Greg Bennet designs by Samick without looking at the picture, however thanks. Did you tighten down the 6 screws holding the bridge to the body? They should be up 1/8 of an inch. It is a Strat copy. You want your temolo to work downwards at least, if not float.

Footswitch help

I have a Peavey Bandit 112 (I believe its an older version). Anyways, I've been using one of my Boss distortion pedals for distortion. My friend just sent me some sweet settings to get a good sound for punk and ska (I play those two genres most). I put it to the settings and plugged in my Footswitch.

I don't know now how to work the Footswitch from there on. I hit all the various buttons and kept trying it, I get no distortion which I turn it on.

HELP ME! Please!

Thanks!,
Jeff

Re: Footswitch help

Is it the boss pedal that causes this?
check the batteries and if that doesn't work take a look at how the wires are soldered on. Make sure to write back if it isn't those damned batteries, and i'll try to explain in more detail.
tata

Question Concerning Guitar Bridge

Can someone explain the saddles on the guitar to me and also why they sometimes extend to various odd lengths?

Re: Question Concerning Guitar Bridge

: Can someone explain the saddles on the guitar to me and also why they sometimes extend to various odd lengths?
Intonation. The sadles are used to adjust the intonation. When you tune your instrument it should also be in tune when you play the same string at the 12th fret or the harmonic note on the 12th fret. If the string is sharp or flat when you play a tuned string at the 12th fret you use the saddle to extend or shorten the string length. You should take the guitar to a good repairman if you think your guitar is out of intonation. The worst is usually the 3rd or G string around the twelth fret.

whats a 5220 alvarez / value and date

hey, can anyone help me pin down this 5220 alvarez. just want to know for the collection sake. it sounds as mellow as they come but, can not find any imfo. thanks big bear

Re: whats a 5220 alvarez / value and date

: hey, can anyone help me pin down this 5220 alvarez. just want to know for the collection sake. it sounds as mellow as they come but, can not find any imfo. thanks big bear
Hey Bear, if you contact Saint Louis Music, they should be able to tell you the history, woods used and retail value. Peace,INTHESHED

Gretsch 6120 to Purchase?

Anyone with an opinion on these guitars. Heard one and it sounded great. I'm left handed so it would be nice to hear from others about experience with the new one before ordering. Thanks

Re: Gretsch 6120 to Purchase?

: Anyone with an opinion on these guitars. Heard one and it sounded great. I'm left handed so it would be nice to hear from others about experience with the new one before ordering. Thanks

Think twice, and examine these guitars before ordering. Prepare to make some modifications if you see any of the following: small, mini-pots with knurled shafts - although the knobs are metal with set screws, which makes them cockeyed and incompatible. Solution: change to larger, solid shaft pots, or at least get knurled-to-solid bushing adaptors.

You didn't say which model you are considering. I have one of them. Any model with a tone selector toggle switch instead of a rotating tone adjustment just isn't acceptable. They offer no useable tone. At least one real tone pot is required to give a 6120 useful tone range. With that, they DO sound great.

guitar strap

How do you put a guitar strap that has one button hole and another bigger hole at the other end onto a guitar w/only one knob at the bottom.

Re: guitar strap

some people attach a peice of string/shoelace to the end with the larger hole, then you tie the string around the headstock, alternativly, you could fix another strap 'knob' on the guitar and buy a standard type 2 hole strap.

Jon Robert Quinn "One Long Road" Now Available

On "One Long Road" Jon Robert Quinn provides his fans with exactly what they've come to expect: crunching riffs, soaring melodies, chord changes and solos from heaven. He deviates little from such past releases as "Solo-Fisticated".

"Clouds In The Sky" is a beautiful ballad and is also Jon Robert Quinn's newest single. There are also elements of dance ("Night Runner") and metal ("Higher"). But his skills shine through the most when he shreds, and very few can do it better. Quite simply, the man is a virtuoso and probably one of the best Instrumental Rock artists of his generation. He shows he can play at the speed of light while fitting all these speedy solos into the context of the song. "One Long Road" continues the legacy of a man who shows that no matter how many guitarists are out there, he's still going to shine through with his music.

More info on Jon Robert Quinn available at http://www.JonRobertQuinn.com

need metallica amp settings

I just got the new crate gt1200 full stack. does anyone now how to get a good metallica sound out of it? i have these low mid high shape that i cant figure out. someone please help.

Re: need metallica amp settings

: I just got the new crate gt1200 full stack. does anyone now how to get a good metallica sound out of it? i have these low mid high shape that i cant figure out. someone please help.
:
ya for the amp settings turn bass to about 8 mid to 0 or 1 treble i put at about 7

Re: need metallica amp settings

yeah....sell it just like I did and get a mesa boogie.....almost identical sound Metallica have....

hag III

need wiring diagram for hagstrom III 66
can anybody help me ?

Wanted, Kramer Proaxe, Baretta, or Stagemaster

I'm looking for a Kramer Proaxe, Baretta, or Stagemaster in clean condition. If anyone has any of these models for sale, please let me know.
Thanks, Bill

truetone

: : I have just bought a Truetone guitar from a garage sale that I know nothing about, and I'm having problems finding info about it anywhere. Can anyone steer me to a web page that may be able to help me? Jessejman38@aol.com Thanx

i believe a retail co called western auto made these guitars

VENTURA ELECTRIC GUITAR #1041206

HAVE A VENTURA ELECTRIC GUITAR 1041206. CAN ANYONE TELL ME THE VALUE OR ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT IT? BOUGHT IT IN A N.J. STORE AROUND 1960

G&L trem problem

i just copped a g&l tribute and as i always heared about G&L's, the trem is silky smooth. this one isn't. its coming off tight and not too silky. is there a way to get it smooth if i loosen the springs? if thats so, how would i keep it flush w/ the body? i want to be able to pull up on the bar as well as depress it. -like a floyd rose. i also wanna know what the felt washer is doing around the bottom of each fulcrum bolt (besides keeping the body safe from it slamming against the body). is there a better material to use? if so where would i get a pair?
HELP ME OUT PLEASE?
regards,
dan h

G&L trem problem

i just copped a g&l tribute and as i always heared about G&L's, the trem is silky smooth. this one isn't. its coming off tight and not too silky. is there a way to get it smooth if i loosen the springs? if thats so, how would i keep it flush w/ the body? i want to be able to pull up on the bar as well as depress it. -like a floyd rose. i also wanna know what the felt washer is doing around the bottom of each fulcrum bolt (besides keeping the body safe from it slamming against the body). is there a better material to use? if so where would i get a pair?
HELP ME OUT PLEASE?
regards,
dan h

cort serial#'s

I have a cort #447219. information wanted on date and specs.

Re: cort serial#'s

right now?? straight away? or can it wait a while?

Which guitar should I buy?

I am saving to buy and electric acoustic, but should I spend all my money and go broke on another Taylor, or should I look at a takamine or a seagul? What should do you think?

Re: Which guitar should I buy?

: I am saving to buy and electric acoustic, but should I spend all my money and go broke on another Taylor, or should I look at a takamine or a seagul? What should do you think?

Taylor are alright, If I could give you my personal preference. TAKAMINE!

: I am saving to buy and electric acoustic, but should I spend all my money and go broke on another Taylor, or should I look at a takamine or a seagul? What should do you think?

A Seagull would be excellent. My friend's is top of the line, made by fine crafstmen. It rivals and equals guitars which cost 3 times as much.

The Seagull is a real guitar, Takamine's are pieces of wood used in marketing, and Taylor may be over-valued.

Takamine, best guitar for the money.

Listen its quite simple the guitar to get is a takamine because they have the best electronics around today for the price.trust me ive been playing for 12 years now and through the years i have had taylors, martins, and takamine and a takamine compared to a $2000 taylor I would go with the takamine and if your ever looking to buy an electric go with either a gibson SG or a shecter because they really make a good guitar.

my suggestion is if you want to save a shit load of you should just get the Boss acoustic simulator. It will become very usefull as you start to play gigs. Of course it would help to have a good electric like a PRS,gibson, or even a schecter which is starting to become a very good brand. overall the pedal works great it will run you about $60 but its worth it. I play at bars in cali.

takamine dude

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.