Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - December, 2004

Archive for posts from December, 2004

ArchiveNovember 2004 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2004 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2004 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2004 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2004 ] [ ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Value of Gituar

I have a big bowl, Oviation Celebrity Serial number 3651898. I had an authorized dealer install an electric pickup. I'm thinking of selling it and I would like to know much is's worth.

Re: Value of Gituar

: I have a big bowl, Oviation Celebrity, Modle CC11, Serial No 3651898. I had an authorized dealer install a pickup. I'm thinking of selling it and I would like to know it's value on the market as it is no longer made. So what's is's worth?

Neck help?

What, exactly, is the difference between maple and rosewood necks? Anyone?

Re: Neck help?

its the wood they use on the face of the of the neck, this mostly applies to fender necks, 99% of fender necks are bolt on (screwed to the body, not glued) and are made of maple, but some have a fingerboard of rosewood added to the face of the neck and then frets are attached to that, and some of their necks have no attached fingerboard and are therefore maple. the maple necks are genraly made from a single piece of maple.

: What, exactly, is the difference between maple and rosewood necks? Anyone?

Best free reading in the world at www.warmoth.com see necks. Last count there were 22 different fingerboard surfaces and characteristics unique to each.

i have 16 guitars in my collection, 2 of those have maple fingerboards (1 x strat, 1 x telecaster) and the rest are either brazilian rosewood or indian rosewood, their might be 22 different types but nearly all the guitars in your local guitar shop will use just 2.

epiphone

i have an aphiphone ea255 serial # 7606419, does anybody know what year this might be? thanx

Re: epiphone

: i have an aphiphone ea255 serial # 7606419, does anybody know what year this might be? thanx

Sandra, the maker of your guitar has informed me they have no data on 7 digit serial numbers whatsoever, just that they were built between the 70's and mid 90's. Apparently the ea or epiphone acoustic 255 is not an expensive guitar, and is thus not catalogued. Most likely one of the more recent examples.

pickguards

what is a good web site to find pickguards for a bajo quinto

Re: pickguards

: what is a good web site to find pickguards for a bajo quinto

First, try some music stores. Bring your Quinto or a paper template made from the size of the soundhole and the available space. Stores sell black, tortoise and clear self adhering guards. Website won't do you much good if it don't fit.

B&S Master archtop vintage guitar

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am an owner of B&S Master archtop guitar.This guitar is approx. 60 years old.I am looking for any information about this guitar.Who is the maker, what is the value of the guitar.What does the "B&S" on the headstock stand for?
Thank You very much for any information.

marshall tsl 100 tube recomendations

I recently purchased a used marshall tsl 100 head. The store i purchased from said it was about 3 years old . after getting it home and playing through it with my les paul it just doesnt seem as agressive as it should be. I was thinking of changing the tubes in it but not sure what kind to get would different tubes give me a mor metal type sound . also ive heard of the term getting your amp biased. what does this mean and can i do it myself. any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: marshall tsl 100 tube recomendations

http://www.watfordvalves.com/mainindex.htm

http://www.watfordvalves.com/mainindex.htm

you dont need re-bias, your amp too modern.

www.harmonycentral.com perhaps?

Chicago area Band ISO versatile 21-31 Heavy/Melodic Guitar w/Bg Vox Now!!!

Read ad in totality if interested. Most all questions are answered here.

Chicago area, (Park Forest). ISO Heavy & Melodic Guitarist w/bg vocals 21 to 31 yrs. Well equipped, heavy and melodic, have good ear, timing, vocal and
writing ability preferred even screaming skills needed as our singer is a "singer" not screamer. must be musically open minded and willing to try different styles. Able to tour and play out often. Transportation a must. No Drama "queens"!! able to rehearse/record 3-4x's and more per week. Able
to pull your own weight! Drive, hunger and desire required. We have shows, mangement interest, space, recording studio and better than a great chance
of success. Must be willing to put the band above all individual aspirations. and play your part to the unit. Some ego accepted, arrogance and unwillingness to learn and improve or take direction not!!!! Some bands we're into are Sevendust, Deftones, Tool/APC, Ill Nino, Chevelle, Taproot, Korn, Linkin Park, Non Point, From Zero, MudVayne, RHCP, SOAD, AIC, Shiner,
RATM, Living Colour, Cold, ect... ect.. You get the point. Contact five0sixband@yahoo.com by email or call 815)294-0482 ASAP!!! Heavy doesn't always = speed!!Must be hard working! No slackers!!!!! you can goto
http://www.soundclick.com/five0six for song samples.

cords

i dont know the cords im a beginer

Re: cords

Buy a chord book from a music shop, or there are some free ones on the net if you look around. There is a load of stuff on google that is specifically for beginners.

Re: cords

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200e.htm

Tip: When you are beginning everything seems ridiculously difficult. It gets easier if you hang in.

ESP neck-truh

I want to buy an ESP F 250, but I don't know about the quality of the neck-truh.
And I don't know, if i should buy a bolt-on or a neck-truh, because i never played a neck-truh befor.
So please someone can tell me his/her experiences with neck-truh construction......

Slayer

Re: ESP neck-truh

: I want to buy an ESP F 250, but I don't know about the quality of the neck-truh.
: And I don't know, if i should buy a bolt-on or a neck-truh, because i never played a neck-truh befor.
: So please someone can tell me his/her experiences with neck-truh construction......

: Slayer

Oh boy, his/her, isn't that lovely? There are many of us where I go to school. Slayer, if you love sustain and lasting harmonics, the neck thru does that. A set in, will sustain nicely also, depending on the rest of the guitar (think Les Paul, PRS Custom). The two words for bolt ons are attack and punch. So, there is a quick and aggressive translation of the note into sound, and it doesn't last as long.

trem setter help

I just got a telecaster plus deluxe, the temolo is against the body flush. I want to have it float a bit, it has 2 springs on the outside, and a trem setter in the middle. Could someone give some advice, I don't have any trem setter instructions, as the guitar was bought used and alread had the trem setter installed.

thanks

Re: trem setter help

: I just got a telecaster plus deluxe, the temolo is against the body flush. I want to have it float a bit, it has 2 springs on the outside, and a trem setter in the middle. Could someone give some advice, I don't have any trem setter instructions, as the guitar was bought used and alread had the trem setter installed.

: thanks

Did you mean a Stratocaster? Tremsetter info is on the faq page at www.hipshotproducts.com. If that don't get you all set, ask Dave at Hipshot Products. He the liaison with customers like us.

I Got Two Fenders & No Info...

I've never looked up Fender information before so maybe someone can tell me what to do. I recently got my hands on a Deep wine colored Strat and a matching Bass, (I believe they're Mexican 'cause both of their serial #'s start with an "M"), but the "M's" on both guitars are followed by a "Z" in each serial number. What the hell does that mean and are there any places, (ie. website), where I can dig up some more information on these guitars? Thanks from New York...

Dennis (http://www.uppercutband.com)

Re: I Got Two Fenders & No Info...

http://www.mrgearhead.com/

got to fender icon, then FAQ's then you will see a link for dating Mexican fenders, which is what you have.

Re: Whammy Rods... Aargh!

I've seen plenty of whammy rods on electric guitars. Can you get em for basses too?

Re: Whammy Rods... Aargh!

Available from www.hipshotproducts.com. And somebody should tell them that the principle is vibrato, not tremolo which pertains to volume. See also warmoth bass bodies pre-routed for the hipshot.

Where's Dwight Listmayer gone

Hey,

Where's Dwight go?

Re: Where's Dwight Listmayer gone

i think he had some issues with the moderator.

Yes, but the moderator didn't have any problems with him.

: i think he had some issues with the moderator.

i think he felt, intimidated, alone and persicuted, i had no problem with him, he gave some very informed views.

Couldn't you moderators just delete the abusive threads rather than blocking a ton of useful ones?

: Couldn't you moderators just delete the abusive threads rather than blocking a ton of useful ones?

Yes, the abuse gets removed on other forums and occurs less frequently in the first place. But, I think that deleting it is most important. And rules are pretty clear elsewhere. Some of my conversation has been held for moderator approval. Don't know if I want to hang out or not. Just checking it out.

The posts that get blocked are only blocked due to keywords. They are then checked out by a moderator and posted to the forum.

I'd like to know which useful threads have been blocked so I can look into it for you all.

: Couldn't you moderators just delete the abusive threads rather than blocking a ton of useful ones?

Framus Acoustic

I need to find the value on a guitar, it's a Framus Acoutic, made in the 1970's, I believe. It's not electric, it's older. I cleaned it up, it says it was made 'in the heart of Bavaria' but then it also says made in W. Germany. I need to find out how much it's worth. Anyone know a site?

Re: Framus Acoustic

: I need to find the value on a guitar, it's a Framus Acoutic, made in the 1970's, I believe. It's not electric, it's older. I cleaned it up, it says it was made 'in the heart of Bavaria' but then it also says made in W. Germany. I need to find out how much it's worth. Anyone know a site?

Framus was a good-quality manufacturer, based in Bavaria, Germany. In the 1960s, their successes included the Star Bass, played by Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones at the time.

Although the materials were always top quality, Framus increasingly fell out of step with player's needs when it came to guitar design.

I would estimate your acoustic to be worth £200-£300 in the UK but that's a bit of a guess without knowing model and spec. Certainly in Europe, acoustic players seem more open to judging a guitar by its quality, rather than 'brand of the month'.

Re: Framus Acoustic

i also have a framus acoustic, which is around thirty five years old. I took in to a guitar shop to get cleaned up and the assistant estimated its worth at around three hundred and seventy five pounds to four hundred. He also told me the guitar is increasing in value by fifty pounds every year, and was a vintage guitar!Mine also says it was made in the heart of bavaria, and is non eletric, so they could be very similar guitars. Hope this helps! Does your guitar also smell of weed inside? If not, the past owner of mine had a very bad habit, but i sincerley hope not, as it belonged to my gran. Over and Out!

I Need Help!

i've had my guitar for about a year now, and i can't really play it. I use to know the A7,G,C chords, but now i forget them. I went out and bought the Hal Leonard Guitar Method by Will Schmid, and i really don't understand it. So if anyone knows a better book or anything please please e-mail me at bigjoshman23@hotmail.com

Re: I Need Help!

Chords come with time. You'll relearn them, personally, I prefer in person teaching rather than books, that's how I learned. If I ever see any books that seem good, I'll recommend them.

Hey,
Get playing with some mates, swap ideas and songs. PS i will spend months learning one song- practise and patience, make perfect. Don#t stick to one method of learning- try books, tab on Internet, mates, maybe lessons etc. Good luck! G

: i've had my guitar for about a year now, and i can't really play it. I use to know the A7,G,C chords, but now i forget them. I went out and bought the Hal Leonard Guitar Method by Will Schmid, and i really don't understand it. So if anyone knows a better book or anything please please e-mail me at bigjoshman23@hotmail.com

When i first started out i got annoyed with how much progress i was making and locked myself in my room for two days straight just to get to grips with the thing. I came out triumphant driving my parents crazy with "Whole lotta love" pounding through the speakers at every oppurtunity. All i did was get a short "how to play" book and progressed onto tabs from the net. Honestly, the best way to learn is through practice and if i didn't spend those hours commited to the thing in the first place, then i doubt if i would have kept on at it. Nevertheless, i had to go see a chiropractor to look at my wrists after and i couldn't hold anything properly for a while after, but don't let that put you off! All you need to do is buy a little book telling you how to read tab and a few chords and you're off and running, you could get a teacher but it's up to you to decide.
looking back on all the cr@p ive written above i dont think ive actually written anything useful. oh well.
good luck mate

Listen up dude! If you are truly serious to learn and to learn correctly, I have not found anything better than blackbeltguitar.com Go there. If you have even the smallest inclination to play guitar (and I assume you posted because you do).. this site is the BEST , bar none!

Acoustic 6 string cutaway guitar

I have recently bought a jumbo cutaway acoustic,elec, compared it to a Gibson,Ibanez and chose it over them, it rocks ! Great tone & playability.

Trying to find a company website ! Any info on accessing it would be appreciated.
In Addition, the strings that came on it seems to have a great lifespand and sounded good, liked e'm better than the Martin SP's I have on it now, does anyone know which brand come on it when purchased new ?

Gary Wuebben (guitar player 23 years-Santa Monica, Ca)
gary.wuebben@bydeluxe.com

Re: Acoustic 6 string cutaway guitar

What is the brand name ... not another Carlo Robelli?!!!

Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe Natural Original

Hello
The srial # on this guitar is R99P 0519..its natural in color and original to spec.....when and where was it made? were some made in different countries? are some better thatn others??? HELP!!!???
Thanks
Philip

Re: Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe Natural Original

: Hello
: The srial # on this guitar is R99P 0519..its natural in color and original to spec.....when and where was it made? were some made in different countries? are some better thatn others??? HELP!!!???
: Thanks
: Philip

Hey Philip, we thought you were kidding. My musical classmates & I haven't got a clue about the serial number - who does? Zephyrs are the real thing, made in the USA form 1930's to late 50's and there are many different models, all luxury liners. Most Epiphone activity and the Phd's to go with it are in Nashville.

f340 1982 model

is this the guitar martin tried to sue takamine over

Re: f340 1982 model

: is this the guitar martin tried to sue takamine over

please reply

Re: f340 1982 model

: is this the guitar martin tried to sue takamine over

YES, it is ONE of them. Nice guitar, by the way.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2021 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.