Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - December, 2004

Archive for posts from December, 2004

ArchiveNovember 2004 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2004 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2004 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2004 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2004 ] [ ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Overdrive pedals

Anyone know anything 'bout Boss Overdrive pedals? I've been told to look for the SD-1 for a smooth overdrive sound but I've heard alot of rules on shopping for those as well.
Anyone know anything to help me out?

Re: Overdrive pedals

there are basicaly 3 different types of overdrive pedal, there is overdrive, distortion and then fuzz, if you want overdrive then you cant go wrong with the Boss pedals, they are built to outlast a nuclear war, and give a very good tone, what kind of sound do you want from the pedal? by the way i think you mean a DS-1 , i dont think there is a boss pedal called a sd-1.

Re: Overdrive pedals

: there are basicaly 3 different types of overdrive pedal, there is overdrive, distortion and then fuzz, if you want overdrive then you cant go wrong with the Boss pedals, they are built to outlast a nuclear war, and give a very good tone, what kind of sound do you want from the pedal? by the way i think you mean a DS-1 , i dont think there is a boss pedal called a sd-1.

For a good clean amp with crunch pedal. I say Zakk Wylde MXR. Add dirty amp and get a shit ton of boost. The thing is incredible. depending on your amp. There is some noise. But well worth it.

Another valuation

Anybody got any ideas about what a Westbury Standard W2110 might be worth these days? They made them in Japan between 1979-82 as far as I can figure. I've had one in a cupboard for about three years, dug it out and put some strings on it yesterday, and it sounds as fabulous as it ever did.

Re: Another valuation

I had one of those in the early eighties and it cost me £135 brand new, including hard flight case. I wish I'd never sold it. No idea what they're worth, if anything at all, these days but I'm looking to buy one if you're willing to sell.

Re: Another valuation

There's one for sale on eBay right now, though I suspect the pickups have been replaced as they are gold plated, not like the original cream coloured humbuckers on the Standard.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3778011797&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

hi, i would like some help please

i have recently bought a harmonica from a market. Unfortunately, i was stupid enough to buy one from a market and not do any research. I am not sure what type it is, or how to play it properly. It has no side button, no holes on the top just the holes you blow through at the front. It has two sets of these holes, each having 16. I searched for hours on the internet trying to find it - it has no specific brand - i found it but it says absolutely nothing about it and i cannot contact the person. The only thing it says is that it is a twenty-tone harmonica. When i blow in and out of it it makes differnt notes.

PLEASE please please give me information i would be most grateful, you can email me too if you like

Re: hi, i would like some help please

Harmonica? is that a 6 or 12 string?

: Harmonica? is that a 6 or 12 string?

its a harmonica, and i dont know how to find out how many string...if you can tell me how to find out then i can tell you.

: : Harmonica? is that a 6 or 12 string?

: its a harmonica, and i dont know how to find out how many string...if you can tell me how to find out then i can tell you.

here is a picture of it. Take no notice of the box. That box is not the one it came in. click on the link;

http://www.goodlinweilin.com/Goodlin%20Pictures/GL1016-1.jpg

sorry mate, i was being a bit cheeky there, what i meant to say was, this is a guitar discussion board, try posting your question here:
http://www.harmonicalessons.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

there guys, have i mellowed out?? me thinks so..

: sorry mate, i was being a bit cheeky there, what i meant to say was, this is a guitar discussion board, try posting your question here:
: http://www.harmonicalessons.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.html

: there guys, have i mellowed out?? me thinks so..

thnx, asshole

no problem rif

What you have is probably a crappy harmonica. The most common type of harmonica used by guitar players is the 10 hole diatonic. Good brands are Hohner and Lee Oskar, which are pretty expensive, although Hohner now make a cheapie as part of their huge range. Johnsons are cheaper and not bad. There is also a Brazilian company I can't remember. Diatonic harps are fixed in one key, so you need several to cover several keys . All the blow notes are notes from the key chord. The suck notes cover most of the other notes of the key. Blues players usually use "cross harp" which just means the key of the harp is not the key of the song. An A harp would be used against the key of E; a D harp against the key of A.
A good place to start is to buy an A harmonica and get a recording of blues in E. Just stuff about, mainly down the lower end, and things will start to happen. The harmonicas with a button are sort of in two different keys, usually C with the button out and C# with it in. This type can play all keys but is expensive and not as easy to teach yourself. Stevie Wonder is hot on this type of harp.

ACCUSTIC GUITAR SOUND SYSTEMS

I have a classical guitar and would like to attach a microphone. What is a good sound system or this purpose.

Re: ACCUSTIC GUITAR SOUND SYSTEMS

: I have a classical guitar and would like to attach a microphone. What is a good sound system or this purpose.

If you mean amp - there are many. Fender Acoustasonics are sufficiently good for a decent price, either the Jr. or the 30. If you mean whole system - then the Fender Passport for everything including P.A. If that's not what you meant at all, please be specific.

Re: ACCUSTIC GUITAR SOUND SYSTEMS

Sadly it is very difficult to get a real acoustic sound. Piezo pickups will make you cringe especially mounted under the bridge. (One either side of the bridge then an old Passac unit is pretty cool).
A tiny fishman mic mounted at the end of the fretboard and marginally above the soundboard is great at low volumes. An Ibeam is worth considering.
You really need reverb ( see my other post ).
If you manage to get a great sound, let us all know; it's a bit of a Holy Grail still. When you hear a real clasical guitar acoustically, you hear the sound coming from the top, plus the sound coming from the sound hole ( out of phase and "EQ'd" by the body ) plus a lot of reflections from walls etc. When you just take the vibration of the top and amplify it, it is very disappointing. At higher volumes, amplified acoustics run into all kinds of trouble as they are "microphonic". If you are lucky enough to play in concert conditions, stick with standard external mics. and use a concert guitar.

Acoustic Setup

Going to be getting a D-28 and already have an amp. Also going to install a LR Baggs I-Beam passive pickup but was wondering what the typical amplified setup for most people is? Vol pedal, chorus?
Thanks!
Joe

Re: Acoustic Setup

The latest thing is the Fishman Pro EQ. You must have it. All my musical gigging buddies until now, and some still (those without onboard pre-amp) have used only guitar with transducer to Boss EQ into a Boss Chorus pedal, into their sound system. Myself - acoustic/electric with Fishman onboard into Flanger. I see your rationale for the volume pedal. The new Fishman blender system takes care of everything in one neat, economical package. And it even helps control feedback.

Re: Acoustic Setup

You are off to a flying start with a great guitar and pickup. Might as well stay with the high quality and get a Baggs preamp; you won't be sorry. Hopefully your amp is not an electric guitar amp; you want something with a flat frequency response, even just a powered speaker.
Other than that a good reverb unit ( the cheaper Lexicons turn up on ebay and are fantastic ) and maybe a Boss CS2 compressor pedal used at very low compression settings for some numbers. Many digital chorus units sound crappy. A Lexicon MPX 100 has reverbs, chorus, flange, emulated tape delay etc, and they sound classy. What music are you into?

NEW NEWGRASS REVIEW WEBSITES

http://www.soundclick.com/newgrassreview (FREE Mp3 Downloads)

http://www.newgrassreview.com

NEW NEWGRASS REVIEW WEBSITES

http://www.soundclick.com/newgrassreview (FREE Mp3 Downloads)

http://www.newgrassreview.com

ENJOY!
KC

THE FEZ

I need the tab or chords for the fez please-its too hard for me to work out and cant find it on the net and man I have tried............thanks

Fender Strat Production date.

Can anyone tell me the prodution date of serial # E447932 fender strat? thank you

Re: Fender Strat Production date.

: Can anyone tell me the prodution date of serial # E447932 fender strat? thank you

You picked one of the most interesting time periods for Fender. These necks were stamped in 1984 at the old Fullerton CA plant, and some were built as whole Strats in 84 while the plant was being shut down. When the new Corona plant opened, the necks were taken there and put on bodies which are stamped in the pocket 1986 - 87. Your Strat with the 1984 neck is either 1984, 86 or 87. If you have an 84 you could also have a 1980 - 84 X1 bridge pickup as a bonus! If you have either a 1986 or 87, you have one of the first American Standards.

Westone thunder 2a bass for sale

Beautiful base for sale, new child forces sale

Re: Westone thunder 2a bass for sale

: Beautiful base for sale, new child forces sale

Hey man, how much are you asking for it and where do you live?

Cheers, Richi

Ibanez X series parts

Looking for parts for my Ibanez X series bridge. From my gathering the bridge is a Koeler <sp> knockoff and is no longer made. I need 2 screws and the last metal bracket and if possible 4 tuning knobs. You can get hold of me through my bands website www.celestial-abyss.org

Re: Fender Japan Strat 85-86

Fender Japan Strat 85-86

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Fender Japan Strat 85-86

Sunn Amp head my friend gave me. Any good?

Don't know a damn thing about Sunn. I know they went under a while back. He says its from '87. I have yet to hook it up and try it. Anyone know anything about it. He had to put a wood frame around the majority of it due to an accident with it fallnig down the stairs. Said its incredible. Has anyone heard anything or had any experience.? I'm told its an all clean amp. No overdirve or gain. I'm looking for a "brown" tone lke a marshall. I can get back to anyone with details. but have to wait until tomorrow. Just looking for some info of how good sunn was.

Re: Sunn Amp head my friend gave me. Any good?

: Don't know a damn thing about Sunn. I know they went under a while back. He says its from '87. I have yet to hook it up and try it. Anyone know anything about it. He had to put a wood frame around the majority of it due to an accident with it fallnig down the stairs. Said its incredible. Has anyone heard anything or had any experience.? I'm told its an all clean amp. No overdirve or gain. I'm looking for a "brown" tone lke a marshall. I can get back to anyone with details. but have to wait until tomorrow. Just looking for some info of how good sunn was.

Andrew, you're not going to call me any names, are you?

SUNN were absolutely fantastic, wonderful amps. Fender Company bought Sunn and killed them on purpose to eliminate competition, while strategically developing their own label product. History proves that the business plan worked, while guitar players are the pawns in the game. Then, when Fender deemed it appropriate, they brought back Sunn reissues, telling the public, it was due to demand. Yes the demand came from the Board Room. So, you can look for similarities in new Sunn amps, available on internet. For brown tone use the thrash metal pedal or your choice, or listen to Lee.

: : Don't know a damn thing about Sunn. I know they went under a while back. He says its from '87. I have yet to hook it up and try it. Anyone know anything about it. He had to put a wood frame around the majority of it due to an accident with it fallnig down the stairs. Said its incredible. Has anyone heard anything or had any experience.? I'm told its an all clean amp. No overdirve or gain. I'm looking for a "brown" tone lke a marshall. I can get back to anyone with details. but have to wait until tomorrow. Just looking for some info of how good sunn was.

: Andrew, you're not going to call me any names, are you?

: SUNN were absolutely fantastic, wonderful amps. Fender Company bought Sunn and killed them on purpose to eliminate competition, while strategically developing their own label product. History proves that the business plan worked, while guitar players are the pawns in the game. Then, when Fender deemed it appropriate, they brought back Sunn reissues, telling the public, it was due to demand. Yes the demand came from the Board Room. So, you can look for similarities in new Sunn amps, available on internet. For brown tone use the thrash metal pedal or your choice, or listen to Lee.

Thanks, But i am not the Andrew you are thinking of.

ABSOLUTELY. SUNN ARE CULT AMPS WITH POWER TO BE AFRAID OFF. THE ORIGINAL 60's AND 70's AMPS ARE STILL IN USE TODAY.

: : Don't know a damn thing about Sunn. I know they went under a while back. He says its from '87. I have yet to hook it up and try it. Anyone know anything about it. He had to put a wood frame around the majority of it due to an accident with it fallnig down the stairs. Said its incredible. Has anyone heard anything or had any experience.? I'm told its an all clean amp. No overdirve or gain. I'm looking for a "brown" tone lke a marshall. I can get back to anyone with details. but have to wait until tomorrow. Just looking for some info of how good sunn was.

: SUNN were absolutely fantastic, wonderful amps. Fender Company bought Sunn and killed them on purpose to eliminate competition, while strategically developing their own label product. History proves that the business plan worked, while guitar players are the pawns in the game. Then, when Fender deemed it appropriate, they brought back Sunn reissues, telling the public, it was due to demand. Yes the demand came from the Board Room. So, you can look for similarities in new Sunn amps, available on internet. For brown tone use the thrash metal pedal or your choice, or listen to Lee.
Also found out that it is a concert lead from '87? these things any good?

These Sunn Concert Lead amps are indestructible. I think you know that already. Their 200 Watts RMS w/100 watts per channel demolishes buildings, and your eardrums. But you're right. They're rather clean, even with distortion & reverb, so your distortion has to be outboard, in-line, from a pedal prior to input. They are generally from the 70's and still going strong, did I say strong?, running wild after 30 years. They can always be maintained with standard parts if necessary. I can't tell you anything that hasn't already been said 10 - 20 times at www.HarmonyCentral.com under guitar/amp/reviews. Very impressive pieces of equipment where sound, not looks matters.

I have a 1980 Sunn Concert Lead head (Concert Lead) that needs some work...bought it new...
Was a great amp. Needs some work. What are these things worth?

How can I display a guitar collection on the wall easily?

Hello,
Is there an easy method to dislay 30 or 40 guitars on a wall or two in a bedroom?
Thanks,
John.

Re: How can I display a guitar collection on the wall easily?

i used a long peice of 4x2 wood, bolted it into the wall, and then used wood dowel plugged into the 4x2.
dont know how you would get 40 on there, remember to keep them away from sunlight and radiators/air con units.

Re: How can I display a guitar collection on the wall easily?

: i used a long peice of 4x2 wood, bolted it into the wall, and then used wood dowel plugged into the 4x2.
: dont know how you would get 40 on there, remember to keep them away from sunlight and radiators/air con units.

Cool, Lee. Maybe John can look at some type of commercial store display unit, with guitars angled or sideways. Your right about environment. How's 50% humidity with that?

lap steel guitars

Hi,
Can some one give me some advice on buying a lap steel guitar (what to look for ? etc ?)
What about the Gretsch 1700/1715 electromatic models (how good or bad are the ?)
Many thanks,
ALAIN

Re: lap steel guitars

: Hi,
: Can some one give me some advice on buying a lap steel guitar (what to look for ? etc ?)
: What about the Gretsch 1700/1715 electromatic models (how good or bad are the ?)
: Many thanks,
: ALAIN

There really are no bad lap steels. Most were made by premium manufacturers, very serious about their craft, knowing that their product would see professional use. Except any copies by Regal or Harmony trying to capitalize. We rate National as Rolls Royce, Gibson and Gretsch as Cadillacs. Fender is a working man's Chevy truck. At some point Gretsch quality starts to slip as a result of personal habits of the founders of the company, and his family. Gretsches have the only pickups that seemed to break down. But they can be rewound. Since the top 3 are all good, the features to look for are purely cosmetic. Who has the best chrome and the most pearl? A double neck is more desirable than a single. None should be more than $500. There is virtually no market for these. It goes without saying, you must get original case included.

Re: lap steel guitars

ASHERGUITARS.COM has the most amazing acoustic and electric lap steels out there today! Some of the best lap steel players are endorsing these fine instruments.

finding a spare tuning peg for echo 12 string

I have an echo 12 string guitar with one tuning peg(the cog and string post)missing, could anyone help. will pay for items.
thanks

Re: finding a spare tuning peg for echo 12 string

: I have an echo 12 string guitar with one tuning peg(the cog and string post)missing, could anyone help. will pay for items.
: thanks

I have the Echo 12 string guitar as well bough it in 1972,great guitar. I found that replacing all 12 tuning pegs and handles with Mandolin keys works for me. Had to do some grinding but they fit the ofsets perfect.

I need all of the help I can get! PLEEEASE!!!

Hi!
I really really need to know what the "D" stands for in a Martin D28, it's very important :D
Please help me as fastes as you can.
I need to ask you to answer to my email: vuthedragon@hotmail.com
THANKS guys!!!

Re: I need all of the help I can get! PLEEEASE!!!

: Hi!
: I really really need to know what the "D" stands for in a Martin D28, it's very important :D
: Please help me as fastes as you can.
: I need to ask you to answer to my email: vuthedragon@hotmail.com
: THANKS guys!!!

Dreadnought. See dictionary. Fasssssst enuf!

Guild F50RNT Jumbo Acoustic Guitar

Guild F50RNT Jumbo Acoustic Guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Guild F50RNT Jumbo Acoustic Guitar

AVT 150 H

I just bought an AVT 150 H and the clean is increadable but I can’t seem to find a distortion that I like. Everything I try seemes to be really muffled or on the other side, too twangy. I know sound is a prefrence but if anybody has suggestions on good distortion setting I would love to hear them. Im looking for a distortion for punk/metal. Thanks

Re: AVT 150 H

pedals?? maybe a good distortion pedal played through your good clean channel is what is needed? there are thousands to choose from, but a good starter pedal for you would be the Boss MT-2 (Metal-Zone) has some great distortion sounds, plus benefits from a 4 band EQ, perhaps you could tone out the 'Twang'

Re: AVT 150 H

: I just bought an AVT 150 H and the clean is increadable but I can’t seem to find a distortion that I like. Everything I try seemes to be really muffled or on the other side, too twangy. I know sound is a prefrence but if anybody has suggestions on good distortion setting I would love to hear them. Im looking for a distortion for punk/metal. Thanks

Hey guy, got single coils or hb's? You gotta be a humbucker man. With advanced valve technology, here's the scoop. You have to turn up the scoop switch! Gain is set at half way. If you got humbuckers, you push the bright switch. Most often, dist channel 2 is used. That should nuke 'em.

If for some reason you got single coils, oh boy! Always use scoop. You could add a little more gain until you feedback. Now important - you gotta crank up the bass with these puppies! Your still using dist 2.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2021 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.