Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - January, 2005

Archive for posts from January, 2005

ArchiveDecember 2004 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2004 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2004 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2004 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2004 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2004 ] [ ArchiveJune 2004 ] [ ArchiveMay 2004 ] [ ArchiveApril 2004 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2004 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Need classic rock amp!

: I play a lot of classic rock and am looking into buting an amp either combo or a stack. I also sing so I wouyld like to be able to run a mike through it. Any suggestions? Oh, yeah I'm trying to keep total cost under a grand.

Want to have some fun, get a Pignose G40V. $200 & the think will drive a 4X12 bottom, no problem. Or get two of them & go sterio, I did, these amps are amazing!

which guitar ?

i am planning on buing a ellectric guitar that i will always be happy with. i want one that i will not want to replace latter on. i was thinking allong the lines of a gibson sg or paul reed smith 22. does anyone have any advice on which i would be happier with ?

Re: which guitar ?

Your first consideration should be what you want to do with the guitar : Do you want to play blues, rock, metal, latin? Next you should decide on a general style of guitar : stat style, Les Paul style, hollow body, Telecaster, etc... Are you buying for looks, sound, weight, etc. Ther is no single "Holy Grail." Each body style and pick-up configuration has pros and cons. You ca never say you'll ALWAYS be happy with ANY guitar. As you grow musically, your "Taste," or tolerance for a guitar will change. That's why we all own more than one. I kow this sounds complicated, but there is no right or wrong anwer here. Gibson makes decent guitars, but so does Jackson, Ibanez, Fender, PRS, etc... The point is, you could be satisfied with any brand, but it's doubtful you'd be satified FOREVER. If you plan on selling it later, stick with name brands. If you don't plan on selling it, don't worry about brand or cost. There are great deals on USED Gibsons or any other brand out there. You have to PLAY many guitars and many brands to find YOUR identity. DO NOT buy brand X just because SRV played it. YOU can never sound like him or any other player out there. You are chasing a dream if you think you will sound like anyone but you. You CAN come close if you copy their TECHNIQUE, not their gear. EVH will always sound like EVH. He can't help it; that's who he IS. You are and always will be you! Don't chase the dream. Make an informed decision by PLAYING guitars not listening to 20 opinions. Work on YOUR sound and YOUR style, not Dime. : i am planning on buing a ellectric guitar that i will always be happy with. i want one that i will not want to replace latter on. i was thinking allong the lines of a gibson sg or paul reed smith 22. does anyone have any advice on which i would be happier with ?

: i am planning on buing a ellectric guitar that i will always be happy with. i want one that i will not want to replace latter on. i was thinking allong the lines of a gibson sg or paul reed smith 22. does anyone have any advice on which i would be happier with ?

That "Me" gave you good advice. Try the guitars. I try 200 before I buy just one. I have many different Les Pauls, SG types and a single PRS 22. I like & recommend the PRS with 5 way switching and coil splitting, for much more versatility. It's a ROCKER for sure, and just BASHES out the blues.

I find that the SG needs 57 Classic humbuckers to be versatile. Standard pickups really limit it's usefulness. So the '61 re-issue may be best now, but they're not made like they used to be.

The Guild Bluesbird also deserves highest praise, and is in the same category. Deafening rock & true blues.

Some forums give not only 20 opinions, but 60! We are in the midst of a heated, almost violent debate about PRS someplace else. I'm backing PRS until more and more of this so-called American guitar is made in China. At least Gibson's are all "Made in the USA".

But again, that's not your concern. Future value is not an issue. Buy whatever works for you. been there

SG needs to be rocked, PRS needs to be polished, do you want a serious rock instrument? or an interesting peice of furniture that doesnt quite know if it wants to be a fender or a gibson? save your money, buy the SG standard.

G'N'R

SLASH THE BEST GUITARIST OF WORLD
SLASH GOOD

Re: G'N'R

: SLASH THE BEST GUITARIST OF WORLD
: SLASH GOOD

Yeah, and Velvet Revolver's no slouch either!

Re: G'N'R

true dat gnr rules

Jazz Rock Fusion Back for 2005: WEER RADIO cranks it again!

WEER RADIO cranks it again!

This popular thread has been given its own page : Jazz Rock Fusion Back for 2005: WEER RADIO cranks it again!

Repair

Can anyone tell me where to find a replacement neck for my Eko Ranger 6 string (fell down some stairs snapping the original)

Re: Repair

: Can anyone tell me where to find a replacement neck for my Eko Ranger 6 string (fell down some stairs snapping the original)

You can try either eBay (just make sure to check if the seller is relaible tho) or warmoth. I havn't personally tried any of their necks, but they might be pretty good. Hope this helps.

which aouctic to pick

i have decided to get a acoustic guitar. And i have decided to get either a hummingbird or some martin. my price reange is around 2000 bucks.
i play rock and blues like clapton and hendrix coldplay ect

thanks andrew

Marlin? Guitar

Marlin? Guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Marlin? Guitar

amps

I have a FAL C 40 T twin port amp, does anyone know anything about these???? are they worth owt???

VENTURA ELECTRIC GUITAR #1041206

I WOULD LIKE ANY INFO ON ABOVE REFERENCED GUITAR. THE VALUE OR THE YEAR OF CONSTRUCTION. IT WAS PURCHASED IN SOUTH NEW JERSEY AROUND 1960. THANKS.

Re: VENTURA ELECTRIC GUITAR #1041206

:
: I WOULD LIKE ANY INFO ON ABOVE REFERENCED GUITAR. THE VALUE OR THE YEAR OF CONSTRUCTION. IT WAS PURCHASED IN SOUTH NEW JERSEY AROUND 1960. THANKS.

I have seen some on Ebay that look like Les Paul and have sold for about $175-225. I also own one!

Re: VENTURA ELECTRIC GUITAR #1041206

: :
: : I WOULD LIKE ANY INFO ON ABOVE REFERENCED GUITAR. THE VALUE OR THE YEAR OF CONSTRUCTION. IT WAS PURCHASED IN SOUTH NEW JERSEY AROUND 1960. THANKS.

: I have seen some on Ebay that look like Les Paul and have sold for about $175-225. I also own one!

I have a couple of Ventura guitar catalogs posted on my website VintAxe.com. I know one of them has the Les Paul copy in it, not so sure about the 60's model. Anyway, you might find some useful info if you check them out. SB

My 10 cd,s now at www.cdbaby.com/all/walt

Hello fans and friends I now have 10 cd,s on cdbaby.com
just sent in the 10 cd a few days ago It,s a copolation of all my own music writtnen and recorded from 1997 up untill now check out all my cd,s at
www.cdbaby.com/all/walt ....for donwloads try www.netmusic.com HAVE A GREAT DAY walter goulet folk singer /song writter

Guitar ID & value

Guitar ID & value

This popular thread has been given its own page : Guitar ID & value

metallica distortion

WHAT DO THEY USE.................

Re: metallica distortion

Mesa Boogie dual rectifier, emg 81 81 humbuckers for kirk and 81 bridge 60 neck for james,kirk uses a cry baby wha wha pedal, theres a whole dictionary of shit they use dude, just think bout it.

:
: WHAT DO THEY USE.................

What guitar

So if I were to go with the takamine, or a seagul, (must have electronics) does anyone have any suggestions?

What guitar

So if I were to go with the takamine, or a seagul, (must have electronics) does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: What guitar

: So if I were to go with the takamine, or a seagul, (must have electronics) does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm still hangin' in for the Seagull, in spite of the brand wars conflict on your first post. The last Takamine I had, I actually had to give it away. In spite of Takamine's wonderful marketing skills and big sell, promotional philosophy. I think it's a guitar you want, not a heap of hype, with artist's playing free guitars on TV.

The Seagull I have played and am very familiar with is the S6 with cutaway, cedar top & Quantum II electronics, featuring both undersaddle transducer and adjustable microphone. Also has a nifty short scale. Sounds great. Plays great. If the electronics can be beaten by the overseas guys, I'll eat my battery, or go with a higher model L.R. Baggs, which I don't see as being any better. Look at these features on www.godinguitars.com. Naturally see what the "other brand" gives you for whatever price. And compare playability & sound. Then just buy the winner. Simple plan?

old guild guitar

i'm just posting to see if nayone can send me a link for a site that would give me a rough estimate to the value of my guitar. according to the serial number i found it's a 1960 guild D40. it's still in great shape. just wondering if anyone would know how to find the value. i have a couple other old guitars i wouldnt mind knowing how much their worth. any help is appreciated.

Question

I think they have a disscussion board at a site called vintageguitars.com and the people there might be able to help you. by the way, how did you find the year your guitar was made?

Lotus guitar

I recently bought a used lotus single cutaway electric guitar. It seems pretty old. The only thing close to a serial number i found was on a sticker on the back of the neck reading I1756. Can anyone tell me when my guitar was made or how i can find out

vantage bass

I have a mint condition vantage bass model 009023. Any idea what it is worth. It's gorgeous.

playin again

just the other day after rehab after my doctor had said i wouldnt be able to play guitar for at least 4 years,or vigerously so she said, so i went to intensive therapy and they worked with me for 2 weeks and said i could play again as long as i wasnt bustin out james hetfield moves too soon. Ill tell ya, its been so long i felt completely new to the whole thing, but i can still play the ol enter sandman so thankfully its not seriously demolished. Cast comes off in three weeks.by the way, need someones help, got a 1979 ibanez PS10 paul stanley iceman signed by all the members of KISS, so whos gunna take a shot at how much its worth, just curious, i dont plan on sellin it though, just need help. thanks. Trevor

Gibson Pickup covers

Hello,

Ive got a Gibson SG Standard, and I really like the look of open coil pickups. Is there any way or method of removing the pickup covers,and are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing this? Any help would be appreciated as I dont want to wreck my guitar! Jeff.

Re: Gibson Pickup covers

: Hello,

: Ive got a Gibson SG Standard, and I really like the look of open coil pickups. Is there any way or method of removing the pickup covers,and are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing this? Any help would be appreciated as I dont want to wreck my guitar! Jeff.

Hi Jeff! There is no advantage other than maybe the cosmetic look which you want. It is possible to remove the covers, but you may not like what you see inside. Lots of wax, and just maybe you'll end up tearing off some of the ribbon wrapped around the coils. Also, the pickup would have to be cleaned of excess, hardened wax, without scratching the bobbins, or breaking the windings.

Anyhow, first you would remove the screw poles. That in itself may lead to scratching the chrome, and distorting the slots on the screws, which you will notice!

Then you would patiently work at the two big solder deposits on the baseplate with a pocket knife, scraping them away, until they are thin enough to de-solder. Now there's a good way to cut your fingers too. Next, you heat those spots and inevitably burn your fingers, while trying not to turn the chrome finish blue, in case you need to put them on again. They don't pull off easily, if they have been well potted.

You might try this first on a junk pickup, or order new open black pickups.

death metal

i play allot of metal and was wondering if anyone has some ideas for me to further this style of playing?

stop playing metal

cuz thrash metal sucks.peace

Re: stop playing metal

he said he plays death metal, not thrash! (is there a difference??)wear your sandals with pride and go in peace brother.

Re: stop playing metal (thank you Lee)

: he said he plays death metal, not thrash! (is there a difference??)wear your sandals with pride and go in peace brother.

Re: death metal

Try grindcore. Has anyone heard the new Pig Destroyer, anyway? /Or buy a new guitar and start playing Krautrock.

note to Gretchen

Gretchen Hope you read this. A couple of weeks ago I asked advice on buying a Martin, and you pointed me towards a shorter scale model. I bought the 000-18, and LOVE playing it, a slight but definately noticable ( easier ) differnce to play. Thanks, your advice made a differnce Danny

Re: note to Gretchen

: Gretchen Hope you read this. A couple of weeks ago I asked advice on buying a Martin, and you pointed me towards a shorter scale model. I bought the 000-18, and LOVE playing it, a slight but definately noticable ( easier ) differnce to play. Thanks, your advice made a differnce Danny

That's great. Congratulations & continued enjoyment, comfort & progress ...

And will you please insert yourself into my gaping gash?

: And will you please insert yourself into my gaping gash?

: : And will you please insert yourself into my gaping gash?

Danny ... you must be so confused. Sometimes on this forum, a member who can post will impersonate another member who has already posted. Then the goofball whose life is so pathetic that he has nothing better to do than jerk others around can make crude remarks, ask repeatedly for hindi songs, whatever, you get the picture. For instance I could sign in as Jeff and say I am so lame, I hate myself. But why would I do that, I think he's such a cute little fellow in spandex pants. Note: if there are 2 Jeff's on this forum, one of you should change your name, or both of you, because soon there could be 3!

: : : And will you please insert yourself into my gaping gash?

: Danny ... you must be so confused. Sometimes on this forum, a member who can post will impersonate another member who has already posted. Then the goofball whose life is so pathetic that he has nothing better to do than jerk others around can make crude remarks, ask repeatedly for hindi songs, whatever, you get the picture. For instance I could sign in as Jeff and say I am so lame, I hate myself. But why would I do that, I think he's such a cute little fellow in spandex pants. Note: if there are 2 Jeff's on this forum, one of you should change your name, or both of you, because soon there could be 3!

Luv, I may be small, but never limp. Ooh, I'm back baby!

Custom paint job

i want to give my stratacoustic a paintjob. i don't know where to start. help plz.

Re: Custom paint job

: i want to give my stratacoustic a paintjob. i don't know where to start. help plz.

We've painted Ovations. If your Stratacoustic has the plastic back, hopefully you only inted to paint the soundboard. Strip & sand, then seal. Use lacquer, not enamel. Acrylic lacquer is the lacquer of choice now, as thin as possible. The amount will affect the resonance of the soundboard. Expect to do a little buffing. Avoid overspray especially inside the body. That's a paragraph, where you should be reading a whole book. Maybe somebody else will give you a website?

Re: Custom paint job

: : i want to give my stratacoustic a paintjob. i don't know where to start. help plz.

: We've painted Ovations. If your Stratacoustic has the plastic back, hopefully you only inted to paint the soundboard. Strip & sand, then seal. Use lacquer, not enamel. Acrylic lacquer is the lacquer of choice now, as thin as possible. The amount will affect the resonance of the soundboard. Expect to do a little buffing. Avoid overspray especially inside the body. That's a paragraph, where you should be reading a whole book. Maybe somebody else will give you a website?

Hi this Andr'e
you wanna paint your guitar let the pro's do it go to www.bluerockercustoms.com we can do anything you need.

Strings for electro-acoustic Ibanez Talman ?

Strings for electro-acoustic Ibanez Talman ?

This popular thread has been given its own page : Strings for electro-acoustic Ibanez Talman ?

Westone Thunder III Bass

Whats the balance like with this bass. It looks very headstock heavy to me?

Re: Westone Thunder III Bass

: Whats the balance like with this bass. It looks very headstock heavy to me?

all westones were heavy, but well made.

music download

well im new to internet and want know how i can dowload hindi movie songs for free to play them on my winamp

takamine value

Just wondering could anyone tell me how much my Takamine NP45c with original case is worth, Ive had it about12 years

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2021 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.