Click to visit Sweetwater Click to visit Gearank

Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics Gibson student Guitar

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I am looking to start playing guitar. I am looking at buying a 1961 gibson student guitar. the guitar is in excellent shape the neck looks straight. It is made of mahogony. the serial # is 35130. being new to this I don’t know what to look for. they are asking 00 for is this a worthwhile investment? any input would be appreciated.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

go for an Epiphone, spend your $300 on a good epi model, maybe a set neck les paul standard, why do you want a 1961 instrument? if you get a new epiphone it will come with a great setup and ready to use, get yourself a small 15watt marshall practice amp and start learning, if you dont know what you are looking for then its best to steer clear of vintage instruments, just because its old and has gibson on the headtock doesnt make it a great instrument.

Anonymous

: WHO IS THIS RAVING LUNATIC HE CERTAINLY WON’T DO HIS CAUSE ANY GOOD BY BARGING INTO FORUMS AND BORING THE HELL OUT OF US: : :Hello.You may hear rumors aboiut me and this mess, so I am letting everyone all over the web know what is really going on. I am very well known, but as a writer, since the Seventies, am also a singer and guitarist since the Fifties, born DouglasCzinki in Detroit, raised in and served in USAF 1943-64. I turn 57 on March 7. I began forming working bands in 1957, to 1968, including Euphoria in Hollywood in 65. We never recorded, but were a good bar band known to Zevon, Zappa, Love, Henry Mancini and others.I left them in 1967 and tried to form a band with Zevon and cut some of my songs with Love’s Forssi and Pfisterer. My wife, Norma Rodriguez, pregnant, became a lesbian with a Joan Black, left, had Joann Czinki in 68, vanished. and Joannis rumoed to now be Joan Jett, but even so, wasn’t fathered by me,probably by Henry’s son, Chris, who hung around a lot. I left music after a gig at a boat party for Stepnnenwolf in Hawaii in 1968. I was known as Doug Delain and in 68 as Sylvan. I began a sex change in 69, got famous as such and as a writer, and had sex change surgery in 77, very famous, also heading a rights group of transsexuals with a thousand members in five nations, dissolved in 78. In 78, I found Norma stole the Euphoria name for a 72 MGM LP, threatened suit, and in 80, two men involved with the old Euphoria,Dave Potter and Tom Thoimpson, died with 85 others in the MGM Vegas fire. It was a set up; some guy picked me up in a Frisco bar and took me to Tahoe a few hours before it, had me in Nevada. I went to FBI, BATF when I read their names in the paper’s casualty list, and although it was ruled accidental, MGM covers a lot up and we think it was murder and arson and I was the patsy. It is discussed in my 83 autobiography, Triple Jeopardy($25 from me by mail, foreign $35)and my 92 book Hollywood’s Obsession ($20, foreign $25.) After getting a copy of the book, Chris Craig of MCA’sLord Tracy did songs advocating violence against transsexuals, and in 89, kin to him, Jean Craig, did a TV commercial having the Daihatsu Charade set fire to a sign for a town named Euphoria,with power to burn. I jumped on them and got extortion mail from their people to 91, had a lawyer threaten to sue them in 92 and in 93 they toldpolice and FBI I was terrorizing them for no reason and did the 80 fire. They are all gone now, out of business,and Daihatsu stopped selling cars in the US in 93 due to my retaliation,which included having the Japanese government and media investigate. I lived in Tokyo 59-61, know all about Japan, finished high school there. I might add my 62-64 roadhouse band in Okla City, while I was in the USAF< was The CHarades, get it, Charade sets fire toEuphoria. In 94, I found out that Jim Fouratt (now an A and R man with mercury NYC in a 993 gay history book, Stonewall,falsely claims he removedfirebombs I planted at NYU in 70 and is a big fucking hero. I was breifly in NYC in 70 and he assaulted me and a TV news team interviewing me,stalked me later in Miami and may have been involved in many tries to killme; gays opposed the transsexual group I foirmed to the extent they violently attacked me and transsexual singer guitarist when we tried to perform at a gay lib dance in LA in 1970, tried to beat us to death. At least 20 trieds to kill me, mostly by gays, happaned since 70, and I was very badly injured six times, Three were arrested. In 98, after I went to FBI and NYPD on him, Fouratt falsely told FBI I was in NYC trying to kill him and Mercury execs,too, after I alsosent recent song tapes a musicalbio to Mercury. Jett is also with Mercury now, as if Def Leppard. In 99, I found out that band had a hit CD< Euphoria. I knew little of them prior, I’m into CCR< Gipsy Kings, SRV, Hendrix, not semi-heavy metal crap. On-line, I found they had released a song in 81, Euphoria, right after the Vegas fire, a CD in 84, Pyromania with jacket art of a hotel like the MGM on fire in gunsight crosshairs, and I identified member Mr. Vivian Campbell of LA< who claims to be only 37, as probably being Wesley Watt,guitarist of the Sixties Euphoria with bassist Bill Lincon, drummer Dave Potter and me, as lead singerand rhythm guitarist. Potter died in the fire with Tom Thompson, operator of Sixties Bido Lito’sClub in Hollywood, where I formed Euphoria at. Love, Iron Butterfly, Seeds and others developed at the club. I went on Def Lep’s Artist Direct BB in Ocxtober about this, and many of the bnand’s fans have vilified and threatened me. It got out of control,and AD firewalled me and removed all of my postoings on all AD sires back to october, which I have reported to the ACLU in Miami. On Fevb. 4, after I e mailed Clinton about all of this, Mark S. James, chief of intelligence of BATF, contacted me and I am hopeful a full investigation of the fire-Def Lep, Fouratt,rodriguez, others-will now happen. I also want Fouratt and the Craigs investigated as to any involvement with Larry Lombardi, arrested in Tallahassee Oct. 1 for setting off bombs at a black college there, 50miles eastof me. On sept. 29. telling me a "gay person " told police I did that, a three-man SWAT team came here and questioned me about it!Could be it was all a set up by Fouratt or the Craigs. Also, Arista Recordss CEOCliveDavis was canned by BMG in December after I discussed him on the Def Lep BB; Fouratt was his "personal assistant" 1969-71 when Davis wwas with CBS, and aside from being his buttboy, Fouratt was spying on leftist radicals, Black POanthers and everyone else for CBS-even went to Cuba to cut cane for Castro! he is a spy. This is why Davis was canned. Allof this is a real nightmare, but I still spend as much time playing guitar as a I can. In 98, I showed up at a music festival in Bluntstown, FL with two guitarists I’d met who thought I was a man, told them I am "Lee Douglas," did a dozen songs-first real perfromance since 1968! Went over great,and I then fooled around at some redneck bars around Panama City with them and others, got standing ovations and compared to SRV, Elvis, Jim Morrison and even Sinatra. I am a SRV, George Thorogood style guitarist. I have some home recorded tapes, cover and original songs, if you want them, send a dollar for a list to me at Angela Douglas, 7520 Hwy. 90, Sneads, FL 32460. I am on-line at bambaza@hotmail. com. Hardfor me to get legal aid,or I’d be suing already, and that includes CBS over its 99 miniseries SHake Rattle and Roll, based Lynn on my USAF dependent past, and I’m really sick of rich companies making fortunes off me, I just gert by financially.Lastly, Def Lep claims their tour bus was robbed in some town in Canadaeven the Mounties can find on a map, and most was recovered quickly. Sounds like a cheesy publicity stunt by me by a has=been loser band that may soon be playing for goatskins in Afghanistan with the DC band Euphoria opening for them; Shane Heselius’ rip poffband emerged in 94, has a CD out, just learned of them. I’d like to get my own CD out, anyone interested in helping me do that, let me know. I know a lot of musicians in Panama City, 7090 miles south. Also, someone I know there has a pwn shop offering a Fender CUstom Shop strat with tweed case, MINT, for $2500, runs $3000 or noore list. It is the Ferrari of guitars, most beautioful one I’veever seen. Lots of good gear around at pawns shops and music stroes here and in Panama City. That’s it, please pass this around.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I like to play blues, rock, and folk mostly. Usually I play lead. Any tips on what type of guitar to buy would be helpful, but I was wondering if someone could evaluate a couple of guitars for me. How much better is the Dot from the Shereton II. They are both epiphone guitars. Also, if I was to but a cheaper SG, what model would you advise. Thanks : : : : Joshua : : : Joshua, : : : I’ve never played a any of the Epiphone semi acoustics but, you may want to look at Heritage guitars. They have a model that closely resembles a Dot Gibson 335, but the price is lower. Heritage guitars are made by the Gibson employees in Kalamazoo Michigan. The Gibon Co, left Michigan for Nashville and sold the plant to the employees. So, your still getting a Gibson at a lower price. They were reviewed last year in Guitar Player magazine. Heritage also has a website. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxspeaking of humbuckers, someone tried tyo hustle a cheap Kramer off on me some kid had torn up trying to add a humbucker to it-and it was a 57 Gibson classic worth about $100! Got the ax for $30, got it fixed, it’s great. This is the Raving Lunatic, Angela Douglas, and I was videotaped may 6 by guitarist Mike Binera of iron Butterfly at the Thunder Beach biker rock concert in panama City Beach, FL discussing imprisoned rock star Arthur lee of Love. Butterfly also developed at Bido Lito’s club in Hollywood, which I got going in 65 with the Thompsons and got them to hire Lee’s band. lee got 12 years in California in 96 for firoing a gun at someone complaining about loud music and we are doing what we can to try to help him. For a story about hium, punch up Bido Lito’s. Binera joined me in shouting "free Arthur lee" on the videotape, which may wind its way wti VH-1 soon. An on line effort to help Lee based in the UK, where he is revered, is at [email protected] and a fanzine, The Castle, is strong there. Lee was a guitarist and Johnny Echols of Love was emulated by hendrix, who later recorded with Lee. Hendrix did his Tv special at my home in 68, The Psychedelic temple, by the way. My own guitar playing days are coming to an end, i have wr\orn my left arm out, it has become increasingly and irreversiably paralyzed\, d diagnosed a few days ago as osteoarthritis which often afflicts guitarists and other instrumental musicians, and I have been playing guitar a great deal for the past few years, and as I am 57, that’s it, so be forewarned, it can happen to you, too. a bummer. By the way, the Iron Butterfly All-Stars stole the show, got standing ovations from the thousands of bikers. Eight bands in all performed in the four day event and the pat Travers band also did great, he is a superb, over the edge guitarist. It is being expanded to ten days next May and may draw 100,000 and start to compete with Daytona Bike Week, which draws 500,000 every March. This was a lot better, I’ve been to four bike weeks-no rock concerts there. This was the best party I’ve ever been to, so come on down next May if you can. I will miss playing guitar-I have owned so many and truly love the instrument-but that’s the way it goes. As for lee, he was a true genius of the Sixties and you will agree if you check out his three Elektra LPs. He was also the mentor of The Doors, got them signed with Elektra. Sorry you got pissed off, but I’m letting everyone know about a lot of stuff. Angela Douglas [email protected]

Anonymous

Detroit, raised in and served in USAF 1943-64. I turn 57 on March 7. I began forming working bands in 1957, to 1968, including….. Hello? Anyone home? You don’t really expect anyone to believe all this crap, let alone read it, do you?! Sheeesh…….If you spent more time practicing music instead of stroking your ego, maybe you would really be famous! Cheers, Hoot

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.