Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics How to get Metallica’s James Hetfield’s sound!!!

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

What does it take to get the famous metallica sound. I need help i got a Metal Zone pedal hooked up to a Marshall 30 combo amp. I also have a Zoom GFX 707 multi effects pedal. Can you give me any cool settings that will get me close to metallica sound???
    Thanks for the help,
    Brandon MetallicA ROCKSSSSS!!!

Related Gear:
    The Best Distortion Pedal Roundup

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

1. Smash your metalzone with a fireaxe (its a piece of shit).

2. Turn on the booster on level 9 on the zoom.

3. Plug that in the amp, and set the amp on max gain, with all tone knobs at 12 o’ clock. But if you are looking for a clean tone, then just wait, because I am looking for it too, and I think I almost got it (the old clean, that is, the one used in ’89 in seattle)

4. Optional: I recommend you set the low to 1, the medium to -2, and the high to 4 on your pedal. But thats how I use my guitar with it (i both have an epiphone explorer gt, and a kramer vanguard)

Anonymous

PATCH LEVEL:
      Prm(Patch Level):
      COMP/EFX: C
      Prm:
      DRIVE: Ed
      Prm(Gain):
      EQ:
      Low:
      Mid:
      Hi:
      ZNR/AMP: C
      Prm:
      MODULATION: OFF
      DELAY: OFF
      REVERB: OFF

Anonymous

First of all I know this is an extreamly old post but this might help someone still. I agree, I f&*^%ng hate Metalica (all but James), but who am I, to each his own, but on that note I will say Jemes Hetfield is in my oppinion, is one of the best rhythm guitarist that has ever lived. Go ahead and commence the bashing now. lol. its all good

I have got pretty close with the sound by reading a quote from James Hetfield on some web site I found. I use a 100W Randall tube amp with a Boss Metal core Pedal and a MXR 10 band EQ with the settings in a smile meaning left and right sides all the way up and work your way down to the middle/center on both sides make sure to run the MXR EQ through your effect loop and not the front of the amp. Turn the level on the distortion pedal on 2-3 and the distortion on about 8-10. Turn the low to about 6 and the high on 8. there is no mid range on this pedal so dont worey about it. Make sure to run this pedal through the front of your amp. The amp itself, on the clean channel of course, turn your gain to about 4-6 and your channel volume all the way with your master volume around 3-4. put ur low at half way, your mid at 1/4, and your high at a little past half way and that will get you as close as can be without his exact expensive set up with his professionally done settings. Hope this helps all who are interested.

Anonymous

Metallica is pussy metal

Anonymous

: What does it take to get the famous metallica sound. I need help i got a Metal Zone pedal hooked up to a Marshall 30 combo amp. I also have a Zoom GFX 707 multi effects pedal. Can you give me any cool settings that will get me close to metallica sound??? : Thanks for the help, : Brandon MetallicA ROCKSSSSS!!!

Anonymous

: : What does it take to get the famous metallica sound. I need help i got a Metal Zone pedal hooked up to a Marshall 30 combo amp. I also have a Zoom GFX 707 multi effects pedal. Can you give me any cool settings that will get me close to metallica sound??? : : Thanks for the help, : : Brandon MetallicA ROCKSSSSS!!! what you need is a zoom 505 expressions pedal go to zoom central get hetfields sound then turn mids out treblle 3-4 lows 10! kick asss

Anonymous

James mostly uses ESP Explorers with EMG pickups, a 81 in bridge and a 60 in neck position. Black album is an ADA MP-1 preamp mixed with a Mesa/Boogie Mark IIc+ thru a Mesa Strategy 400 power amp. Load, Reload and so on is Mesa/Boogie Rectifiers.

Anonymous

If you are looking for great tone at reasonable cost check out http://www.line6.com The line6 flextone amps are amazing. Check out the sound samples. If you have a fast connection download the 35 meg mp3 file that shows off the power of this amp. If that is not in youe budget check out the pod6 amp simulators. You can get all the classic tones from marshals, fender, soldano all in a small desktop effect unit. You can use the unit and record direct into a board, a tape deck for your computer and it will sound like two fill blown marshal stacks ragin on 11. SO yeah go check out line6 products your tone god

Anonymous

The only way you will get James Hetfields sound is to spend 0,000 on equipment then phone up James Hetfield’s guitar tech and ask him how to set the shit up.

Anonymous

Hi !
      I have a Question , I have faced to a terrible
      problem and only James Hetfield or one of the
      members of MetallicA can help me , How Should I
      contct them ?? ( I am from IRAN )

Anonymous

He didn’t ask what you thought of Metallica FOOLS! He asked about getting the sound down. Geez! As for nailing down the sound. Try thicker strings on your Kramer. 10s or 11 (preferred) for those crunchy riffs. Metallica uses Mesa Boogie heads so it is tough to simulate that with a Marshall but I would strongly recommend upgrading your strings and pickups to EMG-81s. That and lots of distortion will get you there. Good Luck – KTMK

Anonymous

: First metallica RULES and the only reason you are saying metallica sucks is probably because you can’t get mp3’s any more off of crapster!!! ANY WAY THANKS FOR THE HELP CRAPSTER FAN!!!!!!!!!

Let’s see…hmmm…
      free music and finding out about new bands all the time vs. having to pay for shit and listening to "new" Metallica on the radio? Hmmm. I know which I’d choose.

Figure out your own guitar tone, young squire.

Greg

Anonymous

first of all if you don’t like Metallica don’t comment the guy asked a question If you want the Metallica sound you need to spend 3000-4000 dollars because no effects pedal is gonna do it iv been trying for years the closest iv come was on a line 6 spider four 75 they have presets that are close but lack the sound you get from a mesa amp so the amp they used on justice and the black album was a mesa boogie mark IIc+ they use triple rectifiers mostly nowadays before and justice for all they used a marshall im not sure what one but if you want the black album sound get on ebay and find a mesa triple rectifier head iv found some for less than 800 before a band new head will be 2000 put an Ibanez tube sceamer on it and EQ you might be able to get the sound your after do some looking on line youll find the settings (I have play on a rectifier once for five mins at guitar center but I was rushed by my wife and the guitar was out of tune so I cant give you any settings. and for you assholes who have to rag on metallica that is there job its how they make there money napster was causing a big profit loss would you work for free? these guys have been doing thus shit for 30+years its not fun for them anymore its there job they make a living off of so if you hate them for that don’t listen to them I like metallica there music sounds good GET A JOB and buy CDs like the rest of us if you want free shit go collect a welfare check you sorry ass prick

Anonymous

Matt, what settings
          Did you use on the line 6 to get close to their sound. I h r the line 6 spider 150 watt. It has 100’s of presets but I have not found james sound yet?

Anonymous

on the line 6 spider 4 its got presets you gotta fuck with it a bit but there is a preset for for whom the bell tolls its in the 1990s seting go figure that song came out in 84 but i usually put gain at about 3 or 4 o clock bass at 1 oclock mids at 9 o clock treble at 5 o clock and reverb at noon and its fairly close as i said before its a solid state amp so you will still notise a difference but its close oh and a guitar with EMG 81 at the bridge and EMG 60 at the neck will help

Anonymous

: : First metallica RULES and the only reason you are saying metallica sucks is probably because you can’t get mp3’s any more off of crapster!!! ANY WAY THANKS FOR THE HELP CRAPSTER FAN!!!!!!!!! : Let’s see…hmmm… : free music and finding out about new bands all the time vs. having to pay for shit and listening to "new" Metallica on the radio? Hmmm. I know which I’d choose. : Figure out your own guitar tone, young squire. : Greg is this dude lame or what?

Anonymous

: First, let me say that Mettallica sucks..
      : Second, if you want a band sound just buy the stuff they have and adjust like you think it’s sound

: go to http://www.guitargeek.com to know what these fuckers uses.
      : If you’re talking live, the sound isn’t to good. If in the studio,FORGET IT. You will never get that tone.

Anonymous

Well, I don’t know about your Kramer’s humbuckers, but EMG 81’s get the Metallica tone! You also need tube distortion, maybe your Marshall (if it’s not a solid state model) cranked up to 10 (the only way Marshall distortion sounds any good) and probably some compression from the Zoom could help. The Metal Zone won’t help much, that distortion is too cold and "buzzy". Anyway, do try your amp AND the metal zone with no mids at all, and play with the Metal Zone "Mid Freq", maybe you can get something suitable.

Now, what you should really do is get a Mesa Rectifier to get the job done! oh, and don’t alternate pick when you play those riffs… they are ment to be picked downwards, it’s Hetfield man!!

I’m hoping you are only a fan of the old Metallica, the true Metallica, not the shit they have turned into since "Load"…

Anonymous

: Well, I don’t know about your Kramer’s humbuckers, but EMG 81’s get the Metallica tone! You also need tube distortion, maybe your Marshall (if it’s not a solid state model) cranked up to 10 (the only way Marshall distortion sounds any good) and probably some compression from the Zoom could help. The Metal Zone won’t help much, that distortion is too cold and "buzzy". Anyway, do try your amp AND the metal zone with no mids at all, and play with the Metal Zone "Mid Freq", maybe you can get something suitable. : Now, what you should really do is get a Mesa Rectifier to get the job done! oh, and don’t alternate pick when you play those riffs… they are ment to be picked downwards, it’s Hetfield man!! : I’m hoping you are only a fan of the old Metallica, the true Metallica, not the shit they have turned into since "Load"… Dude U suck a big one! if u were a true metallica fan u wouldnt rag on anything theyve done…u shouldnt even be talking about metallica period! ASS

Anonymous
        Anonymous

Bullshit, Hetfield uses both up and down strokes… you know shit!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

What time period are we talking about here? Are you talking about rhythm or lead? I don’t think that your equipment can nail the tone, but they used to set the amps (Kill ’em All era) to zero mids but with treble and bass dimed.
      I’ve tried it with my amp, and I promise, it takes more than EQ settings.

Anonymous

im talking about the black album sound what does my mps bass mid and high (treble) eed to be set at?

Anonymous

: What time period are we talking about here? Are you talking about rhythm or lead? I don’t think that your equipment can nail the tone, but they used to set the amps (Kill ’em All era) to zero mids but with treble and bass dimed. : I’ve tried it with my amp, and I promise, it takes more than EQ settings.

Anonymous

Ive got as close as i can to hetfields new sound (rythm)for metallica’s more recent stuff such as "ain’t my bitch" and "no leaf clover". i use EMG 81 pick-ups these help give metallica’s tone, from my guitar i have boss pw-10 wah pedal set on cry baby wah and metal zone distortion turned up to about 8-9 and the noise suppressor up to 7ish then off that for clean tones i have a chorus pedal turned up to about 7 and finally a 7 band equalizer, settings are as follows 100Hz=14 200Hz=10 400Hz=0 800Hz=-9 1.6K=-5 3.2K=0 6.4K=5.AND THERE you have it, it works for me.

Anonymous

First metallica RULES and the only reason you are saying metallica sucks is probably because you can’t get mp3’s any more off of crapster!!! ANY WAY THANKS FOR THE HELP CRAPSTER FAN!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

What distortion peddal does he use, and at what settings?

Anonymous

First, let me say that Mettallica sucks..
      Second, if you want a band sound just buy the stuff they have and adjust like you think it’s sound

go to http://www.guitargeek.com to know what these fuckers uses.

Anonymous

: What does it take to get the famous metallica sound. I need help i got a Metal Zone pedal hooked up to a Marshall 30 combo amp. I also have a Zoom GFX 707 multi effects pedal. Can you give me any cool settings that will get me close to metallica sound???
      : Thanks for the help,
      : Brandon MetallicA ROCKSSSSS!!!

Also forgot to say i have a Kramer Guitar with humbukers that are dam cool it’s just i can’t get the settings right!!
      Thanks,
      Brandon

Anonymous

Hello, I have the solution to this problem at the minimal budget. Get an amp simulator. Both Line 6 spider and vetta are all very good. If you have something similar to a Pandora Px4 by Korg, then choose the celestion amp models. Metal zones are not ideal for this, especially the Boss ones. Your best bet is to set the disortion to full, the mid to -15, the the mid freqency to 5k. Boost the highs and lows to 15. And there is the disortion. But if you can, fork out the money for a used lovetone brownsource, it’s not made anymore but you can still get it second hand.

Anonymous

It all depends on the gear, settings comes in second. Jaymz uses a Mesa/Boogie power-amp and pre-amp, EMG 81 (bridge)/60 (neck) pickups. But why the hell don’t anybody create their OWN sound. Fuck all that wannabe crap. Hetfield is God!!!

Anonymous

If you are looking for the Hetfield sound you need a guitar with EMG pickups (81 bridge, 60 neck). James uses Mesa/Boogie amps. On Puppets he used a Boogie Mark IIc+ witch a parametric eq. On Justice and Black Album he used the IIc+ mixed with a ADA Mp-1 preamp and a parametric eq. Nowadays he uses Boogie Triaxis preamp with a Strategy 400 power amp and also Rectifiers. He has used both Boogie and Marshall cabs over the years. Just make sure they have Celestion Vintage 30´s.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.