Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Any comments on the Hohner MC05 Classic guitar?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Hi all,

A friend of mine found a Hohner MC05 guitar in a dumpster the other day. It’s playable but it has some damage. Can anyone tell me how much this kind of guitar is worth when new? I’m thinking of getting it repaired but I was wondering if it will be worth the money.

Thanks
    Robert

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I bought a sorry looking MC 05 today in a charity shop for 6 pounds. Took off the old strings, cleaned it, re-strung and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it sounds and plays. It does need some reduction at the nut and possibly some stoning of upper frets to improve its playability but…what can I say at the price. Good find!

Anonymous

I read somewhere that Hohner had stopped making the MC05 Guitars. Could some one tell me if this is true or not? Because I’d like to get one if I can. If they don’t make them is there one very similar to it because I found it was a nice guitar to play and to learn on.

Anonymous

They stopped manufacturing all guitars like I think 10 years ago.

Anonymous

Still have my MC-05, bought at Argos around 1997. I think it cost £40 new.
      I sanded the underneath of the plastic bridge insert to lower the action slightly, and it’s still in good condition, no twists, splits etc.
      I find it hard to play (being used to electrics) but an experienced Classical player once tried it out, then handed it back to me saying “there’s nothing wrong with the guitar” – implying it’s all about practice 🙂

Anonymous

HI ,Ive had a mc-05 for 25years, Would not change it for the world.
      I thought it worth money ,Surprized , Its not.
      But to me its a gold mine.
      All the best Pete

Anonymous

As with any guitar the way it`s finally set up ( particularly the nut, which needs to be bone on any classical, but also a saddle that FITS !) will make the difference between a dead sounding plank and a proper instrument. I was fortunate enough to get a MC-05 already set up by a luthier friend and it was a give away for twenty five pounds.I`m not sure if the top is solid or ply ( ply I would have thought at the price it sells at new) but it suits me down to the ground and is perfect for my level of playing at the moment. BTW…I hope, when you mention steel strings, you are talking about the thickest 3, which are only nylon strings wrapped with a light steel or silver. Putting the steel strings that go on a steel strung accoustic (folk or bluegrass) guitar on a classical is a no no !!!!
      Enjoy your guitar.

Anonymous

: Hi all, : A friend of mine found a Hohner MC05 guitar in a dumpster the other day. It’s playable but it has some damage. Can anyone tell me how much this kind of guitar is worth when new? I’m thinking of getting it repaired but I was wondering if it will be worth the money. : Thanks : Robert they cost £65.00 in a kit with case, tuning pitch and strings also a video

Anonymous

I bought mine from Argos. it had a case, pitch pipes and a spare set of strings for £50. I part exchanged it for the guitar I have now. It was a nice guitar to learn on.

Anonymous

in fact, i’m holding one tight now. Got mine from Argos. Good guitar for beginners. takes all the knocks and damage. Theres one on Ebay right now 15/1/04 selling for £15.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.