Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics OLD Japanese guitar.

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I recently purchased an old "fixer-upper" guitar, to practice my soldering technique on.
    I can’t find any refernce to the brand (SAKAI) on the web, or in my Tony Bacon ULTIMATE GUITAR book.
    The only other SAKAI guitar I know of, was one a friend of mine had back in the early 80s, and it was a cheap Strat copy.
    Can anyone help ?

The guitar itself is obviously old, and well used.
    It is slab-bodied strat shape (without any belly-cut, but with a "chamfered channel" all the way round the top) in tobacco-burst finish, with an almost strat-shaped headstock – single bar-shaped string guide like on an old 60s Ibanez. There is no date or serial number (even inside the neck joint), and the only other identifiable feature is the original "made in Japan" sticker on the neckplate.
    It has 3 large single coil pick-ups with chrome / white covers (and sliding switches for pick-up selectors and tone-override) and a basic spring tensioned tremolo system.
    The bridge has a wacky roller-saddle system on tune-o-matic type posts screwed into the body.

In general terms it looks a bit like a Burns or also like the early Ibanez guitars.

Any info will be gratefully accepted.

Mark McColl

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Northeast USA here.

My nephew asked me to fix up an old Zen On guitar that his fiancé was given by an old fellow she does home care for.
      Other than cracking from humidity changes over the last 45 years, this thing is almost like new. It’s missing one
      bridge roller under the high E string and the neck is not straight, so the strings are quite high at the 12th fret.
      This has 5 push buttons, one each for every pick up (AKA: Mic. 1, Mic.2…), plus ALL and quiet. Little to no information on this,
      other than it may have had several name plates put on the same guitar back in the day, which was likely to be around 1960 to 1964.

I need to connect with parts for this, and retro fitting a different bridge could be quite involved the way this was originally set up.
      If anyone is familiar, or might be, send me your e-mail address, subject ZEN ON (so I know your cool) and I’ll forward a picture.

Anonymous

Hallo,
      I am owner of a Sakai Les Paul witch I became used for 100 DM in 1975 .The Guitar is black with 2 nickelcoverd Burstbuckers, 2 Volume and 2 Toneknobs , a 3 way Troggleswitch.It has a very nice sound 22 fretts and a solid body of mahagoni. I find nothing in internet

Anonymous

i have a sakai bass guitar it is a telecaster shape it is in really good nick and every thing works im wondering how much i should try to sell it for

Anonymous

Hi guys. I’ve got a cream sg style sakai with 2 white single coils, 2 slider p/u switches and 2 volume 1 tone knobs. I love it dearly it’s such a fun guitar.So do my friends. a mate gave it to me after it sat in his shed for 20 tears. I was originally going to make it into an ornament but I cleaned it up with steel wool(that’s how bad it looked) then plugged it in out of curiousity-WOW. Just had a session on it yesterday into Guitar Rig and it blew us away all over again. Apparently these were 10 pound Woolworths axes in the late 60s early 70s made in Japan.

Anonymous

I have an old Sakai Bass that my wife bought me 2nd hand about 15 years ago. It is a burgandy SG shape with 1 pickup & volume & tone control. My 1st electric guitar purchased brand new in 1975 was a Sakai 6 string electric SG shape with 2 single coils and mini slide on / off switches for the pickups plus volume & tone controls. Had a very large fender style head. It was not a bad guitar to play. Had problems with volume & tone controls, but wish that I had kept it. (never part with a guitar if you don’t have to.)

Anonymous

There are two Sakais (SG, LP) currently listed on ebay.co.uk. The SG looks rather dashing, actually.

Anonymous

somone is going to have to start a website. I can’t find anything at all on the web.

Anonymous

I have an old Sakai Bass. It’s a piece of crap but I love it like all my guitars. If anybody finds anything such as a website or parts supplier let me know please. This has been interesting reading all of these Sakai accounts. I can’t find anything on the internet about them at all. Mine was given to me. It’s sunburst with a tortoise pickguard. Some interesting cream switches on the front that don’t seem to do anything but crackle. Good luck guys.

Anonymous

: ah! stumbled across a site that has knowledge of sakai guitars.i have a sakai that a friend gave me 10yrs ago but have idea what model it is,only that it could be a bad strat copy(really bad copy!!!!)as head is way too big for neck. still it hhas such a light body that you can bend notes just by pulling it towards you, which is interesting.anyway is there anywhere that sakai owners are pasting photos of their beasts so that others can enjoy or even help in identifying?

Anonymous

: I recently purchased an old "fixer-upper" guitar, to practice my soldering technique on. : I can’t find any refernce to the brand (SAKAI) on the web, or in my Tony Bacon ULTIMATE GUITAR book. : The only other SAKAI guitar I know of, was one a friend of mine had back in the early 80s, and it was a cheap Strat copy. : Can anyone help ? : The guitar itself is obviously old, and well used. : It is slab-bodied strat shape (without any belly-cut, but with a "chamfered channel" all the way round the top) in tobacco-burst finish, with an almost strat-shaped headstock – single bar-shaped string guide like on an old 60s Ibanez. There is no date or serial number (even inside the neck joint), and the only other identifiable feature is the original "made in Japan" sticker on the neckplate. : It has 3 large single coil pick-ups with chrome / white covers (and sliding switches for pick-up selectors and tone-override) and a basic spring tensioned tremolo system. : The bridge has a wacky roller-saddle system on tune-o-matic type posts screwed into the body. : In general terms it looks a bit like a Burns or also like the early Ibanez guitars. : Any info will be gratefully accepted. : Mark McColl

Anonymous

: : I recently purchased an old "fixer-upper" guitar, to practice my soldering technique on. : : I can’t find any refernce to the brand (SAKAI) on the web, or in my Tony Bacon ULTIMATE GUITAR book. : : The only other SAKAI guitar I know of, was one a friend of mine had back in the early 80s, and it was a cheap Strat copy. : : Can anyone help ? : : The guitar itself is obviously old, and well used. : : It is slab-bodied strat shape (without any belly-cut, but with a "chamfered channel" all the way round the top) in tobacco-burst finish, with an almost strat-shaped headstock – single bar-shaped string guide like on an old 60s Ibanez. There is no date or serial number (even inside the neck joint), and the only other identifiable feature is the original "made in Japan" sticker on the neckplate. : : It has 3 large single coil pick-ups with chrome / white covers (and sliding switches for pick-up selectors and tone-override) and a basic spring tensioned tremolo system. : : The bridge has a wacky roller-saddle system on tune-o-matic type posts screwed into the body. : : In general terms it looks a bit like a Burns or also like the early Ibanez guitars. : : Any info will be gratefully accepted. : : Mark McColl I have an old Sakai with two crome-pickups. The model is like a Gibson ES. It has a great sound and i think it´s marvellous. I cant evenn find a picture on this guitar on internet.

Anonymous

yeah, i have a SAKAI bass guitar. it’s my first bass, bought it off my brother for $100 Australian. i haven’t bin able to find anyone who knows anything bout SAKAI??? it has a similar body to the gibson sg guitar. it’s maroon with a black scratchplate. 2 volume controls, 2 tone controls & a 3 way pickup knob. its got 2 mega huge metal pickups, 20 fret neck. the head is big & squarish with SAKAI written on the top. if anyone knows anything bout SAKAI E-Mail me at, [email protected]

Anonymous

i have a sakai bass guitar its dark redish colour sounds good i would like to find out more about it and see a photo and where can i find out more about these guitars do you know how much there worth contact me through this sight ill check it then do the same

Anonymous

I am the proud owner of a very cool pitch black Sakai Les Paul, with silverplated humbuckers and a Tune-O-Matic bridge. When I bought it (very cheap) I had to replace the original tuning mechanisms due to the fact they were made of plastic and they had started to break down. I replaced them with black Gotoh machineheads. I also replaced the volume knobs for some cool transparent Gibson-like knobs, very cool… Then I had to replace the bridge (which actually had ‘bridge’ spelled B-R-I-G-E stamped on the bottom) because the plastic parts broke off. Which I like most about this guitar is the fact that is was very cheap, but sounds incredibly good. It als has the Gibson ‘H’ inlay on the head, which you never see on imitation LP’s. I once asked the owner of our local music store what he knew about Sakai. All he could tell me, that they were very popular in the 70’s, but went bankrupt in 1984. Therefore every Sakai you meet, is at least 20 years old! A friend of mine bought a Sakai Telecaster with humbucker and single coil elements. But his is still a piece of crap whereas mine keeps on playing…

Anonymous

PICTURES PLEASE!

Anonymous

I have a Sakai bass guitar. Sunburst with "Burnsy" scratchplates. 2 pickup one volume one tone Cream "top hat " style. One three way white capped toggle switch. Still has original "Made in Japan" sticker on neckplate.Big single coil pick ups, white bodied with black inserts." Ashtray" cover over bridge. Must be worth about a million by now?????

Anonymous

Hello men, I’m french and I have one SAKAI guitar. Can you join me some picture of your… : I recently purchased an old "fixer-upper" guitar, to practice my soldering technique on. : I can’t find any refernce to the brand (SAKAI) on the web, or in my Tony Bacon ULTIMATE GUITAR book. : The only other SAKAI guitar I know of, was one a friend of mine had back in the early 80s, and it was a cheap Strat copy. : Can anyone help ? : The guitar itself is obviously old, and well used. : It is slab-bodied strat shape (without any belly-cut, but with a "chamfered channel" all the way round the top) in tobacco-burst finish, with an almost strat-shaped headstock – single bar-shaped string guide like on an old 60s Ibanez. There is no date or serial number (even inside the neck joint), and the only other identifiable feature is the original "made in Japan" sticker on the neckplate. : It has 3 large single coil pick-ups with chrome / white covers (and sliding switches for pick-up selectors and tone-override) and a basic spring tensioned tremolo system. : The bridge has a wacky roller-saddle system on tune-o-matic type posts screwed into the body. : In general terms it looks a bit like a Burns or also like the early Ibanez guitars. : Any info will be gratefully accepted. : Mark McColl

Anonymous

i have a sakai guitar which was originally purchased in the 70’s

Anonymous

: Hello men, I’m french and I have one SAKAI guitar. : Can you join me some picture of your… : : : I recently purchased an old "fixer-upper" guitar, to practice my soldering technique on. : : I can’t find any refernce to the brand (SAKAI) on the web, or in my Tony Bacon ULTIMATE GUITAR book. : : The only other SAKAI guitar I know of, was one a friend of mine had back in the early 80s, and it was a cheap Strat copy. : : Can anyone help ? : : The guitar itself is obviously old, and well used. : : It is slab-bodied strat shape (without any belly-cut, but with a "chamfered channel" all the way round the top) in tobacco-burst finish, with an almost strat-shaped headstock – single bar-shaped string guide like on an old 60s Ibanez. There is no date or serial number (even inside the neck joint), and the only other identifiable feature is the original "made in Japan" sticker on the neckplate. : : It has 3 large single coil pick-ups with chrome / white covers (and sliding switches for pick-up selectors and tone-override) and a basic spring tensioned tremolo system. : : The bridge has a wacky roller-saddle system on tune-o-matic type posts screwed into the body. : : In general terms it looks a bit like a Burns or also like the early Ibanez guitars. : : Any info will be gratefully accepted. : : Mark McColl Hi I have a SAKAI Les Paul, Bolt on neck, slides for pickup selection, two humbuckers and the made in aaaaajapan sticker.

Anonymous

: Hi : I have a SAKAI Les Paul, Bolt on neck, slides for pickup selection, two humbuckers and the made in japan sticker. The guitar also uses a zero fret and has a similar concabe routing around the top edge of the body. Gordon Australia

Anonymous

g’day. I bought this bass guitar off my brother a coupla years ago. It basically looks like a Gibson SG model guitar, but it has SAKAI written across the head in gold letters. I’ve tried really really fucken hard to find something out about its origins without any luck whatsoever!!?? the bass itself has a pretty short neck, 20 frets and kinda looks like it may have used to have been a 6 string, modified to 4. It noticebly has two big mega fuck off metal humbuckers and a 3 way pickup switch, 2 tone and 2 vol dials. So i too, like those other few souls who own a sakai am bloody frustrated that there’s no info on these fucken guitars!!! cheers…..

Anonymous

Hi there, i also have a Sakai they are verry rare. i bought it for 80 dutch guilders. Sakai Sg model it has good looks and sound. The humbuckers are replaced. Sounds good on my seymourduncan convertible tube amp. Low and agressive but still sweet. greetings George.

Anonymous

Re: Sakai strato-copy: I have one here in Copenhagen. The Sakai works and look like a brand new guitar and sounds rather well.

Anonymous

: Re: Sakai strato-copy: : I own a sakai bass, and would like to find info on it so I can fix it,

Anonymous

I have a Sakai Bass, it has a Gibson Les Paul type body, 2 large pick-ups with black covers 2 tone & 2 volume controls, 2 slide & 1- 3way switch, it has a socket on the bottom edge for some type of connecter I’m not familiar with (disconnected) and a standard 1/4" socket added to the top. The bass is in great condition, all controls work fine and it has a great sound. If you need to know anything about the inner works, I’ll be quit happy to be of help, Cheers : : Re: Sakai strato-copy: : : I own a sakai bass, and would like to find info on it so I can fix it,

Anonymous

I have a telecaster copy from SAKAI. I bought it in a garage sale (30 dollar). It looks cool, but it sounds awfull. Please let me know if you find out anything more about these guitars.

Anonymous

I have one also. bought it for $20 australian in 1989.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.