Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Re: BEST GAUGE OF STRINGS FOR MY GEETAR?????????????????????????

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Hey man. I play a LOT of Drop C too. Thing is though, in order to get a decent sound from Drop C you should use either 52 or 56 gauge strings. Unfortunaetly you can’t do standard E tuning in those gauge strings due to the tension of the strings. I own a few guitars, each with different gauge strings and tunings. only way to do it I’m afraid.
    Also you may have to adjust your tremelo plate to get to C properly too. I have a Floyd Rose plate and it is tricky (had to add an extra spring in order to solve the string slack problem) I wish you luck man and I hope I have helped in some way.

: eeeeeeeey what would be the best strings for my guitar?
    : i have an sg standard and play a lot of drop C but also a lot of standard. And i had some heavey strings and they broke on standard tuning but sounded and felt great for drop tuning. What do you think would be the best brand and gauge?? THANK YOU!!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I think that my sg gothic sounds amazing through a crate,i play punk rock and hard rock, i think they’re better than marshalls and a hell of a lot cheaper!

Anonymous

I have a 1997 heritage cherry standard and a 1972 tobacco sunburst standard and I found that they sound best through Marshall products. I simply run it straight into my jcm 2000 (running through pedals kills your tone, and with the 490 humbuckers, you wanna keep em as full as possible) and then run my effects into the head through a gcx midi unit. If anyone has a jcm 2000 and a sg and wants to compare amp settings, e-mail me.

Anonymous

: I recently purchased a Gibson SG (the wicked Gothic) and need to price out an amp. I am new to the electric, any suggestions? My current choice is a Tech 21 TM!) studio amp. What should I look for, any leads on where the best online deals are? Thanks.

Anonymous

: I recently purchased a Gibson SG (the wicked Gothic) and need to price out an amp. I am new to the electric, any suggestions? My current choice is a Tech 21 TM!) studio amp. What should I look for, any leads on where the best online deals are? Thanks. :Get an old fender. Twins or vibrolux’s work good. Then a tubescreamer or two and a comprssor, (I have a zoom) Give the amp some bass and youll get searing attack and endless, colorful sustain.

Anonymous

: : I recently purchased a Gibson SG (the wicked Gothic) and need to price out an amp. I am new to the electric, any suggestions? My current choice is a Tech 21 TM!) studio amp. What should I look for, any leads on where the best online deals are? Thanks. : Since I don’t have a Gibson SG, I won’t recommend a specfic amp (although my Gibson Les Paul Standard sounds great through my Carvin stack amp). I’m partial to tube amps. I would recommend, however, that when you decide on an amp, contact Rondo Music at http://www.rondomusic.com in New Jersey. I have found their prices on guitars, basses and amplifiers to be the lowest and their service is fast and excellent. Ask for either Jason or Kurt. If anyone knows of a place with lower prices on new gear, I would love to hear about it. Good luck with your search. : You mention the Gothic SG. Thus, I assume you’re into metal. I’ve been playing SGs since 1969. As a professional musician, producer and engineer, I recommend you stay away from big stacks. Most venues won’t let you play at loud volumes. Amps always sound better when pushed, and bigger doesn’t always mean better. Most tube amps that are made today have PC boards above the tubes and trannies. Class A tube amps run hot and heat rises, resulting in PC board meltdown. If you like the tube sound look for a vintage Marshall that has been professionally serviced. There is no better sound. I also use small Valvestate combo’s in the studio when recording. The VS30 sounds like a stack when miked in a stereo pattern and run through a vintage Neve preamp and mixed on SSL. For the average gig, a Valvestate 65 will crank out enough power and, the owner will probably still tell you to turn it down! Being from the sixties I played through Marshall Plexi’s and it’s hard on your hearing. Why haul big amps around when you don’t have to? Another great bargain is the Sovtek Mig 50 (an all tube head) that puts out a decent and authoritive British sound. Add a good distortion stomp box and you’ll hear some dark metal sounds. Also, if you want a real dark, nasty and dirty sound, you may want to replace your 490T bridge pickup with a 500T super ceramic. It is a superb pickup with detail and definition and will not get muddy like the 490T. Digital amps are a big disappointment and I don’t recommend them. I’ve seen a few crash and burn in a live studio situation and most of them sound like shit. When you make it BIG, at that point you’ll be playing large concert venues, then go for the Marshall or Soldano stack. Happy hunting.

Anonymous

: I recently purchased a Gibson SG (the wicked Gothic) and need to price out an amp. I am new to the electric, any suggestions? My current choice is a Tech 21 TM!) studio amp. What should I look for, any leads on where the best online deals are? Thanks. you didnt mention what type of sound you are looking for!but a good basic amp would be a combo amp ,like the marshall vs265r. i have owned several marshall’s and all created tones that everyone would be happy with.i record my vs265r and it has killer crunch,and clean sounds. check out www>musiciansfriend.com for decent prices on gear

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.