7-string chords

Posted by kent on Wed, 09/05/01 - 04:03:43.

I just picked up an Ibanez 7-string guitar (rgx720), thought it would be cake to find out how to play the thing. . .had another thing coming. Anybody have any insight on 7-strings playing rock? Any chords? Something? Thanks.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: 7-string chords

Never heard of it. I'm curious. Can you describe it? How is it tuned? Is it a regular guitar but with an extra string or what?

i found out it's tuned like a regular guitar, but the 7th string is tuned to a low A. The 7th is on the top, so ive just been ignoring it since i dont know how to play it. check out www.ibanez.com and look around for the rgx720 (that's the one i got)

isn't the 7th string usually tuned to a B??? I mean, you must be playing in Dropped tuning, coz that would mean that the last tree strings are tuned A, E, A, normally, that would be A, E, B,...right???

Randy's right. It's supposed to be a B in regular E tuning. For the chords, you do the math. If you play an open E chord, but one string down (or up.. depending.. not A-minor but the other way..) you'll find that the G-string sounds a bit weird (sound like.. a Bsus4).. should be Gflat, so.. you can use the regular positions and fingering, a string down ofcourse, but keep that G string in mind, coz it will turn your major chord into sus4 !

cheers !

i can find nothing on rgx720, whats up with that

I play my six string like a 7 string with no high E. It is tuned the same as a 7 string's 6 biggest strings. I tune my lowest to A, next to E, and standard on up. That lets you play chords shaped very much like dropped D tuning (flat barr chords)and gives you a "KoRn" sound. Staind's Mike Mushok uses his guitar like I do, but he has some different tunings he uses;Ab Eb Ab Db Gb Bb/ Ab Eb Bb Db Gb Bb(what I like to use tuned down half a step)

wow i'm really pround of you man I think you're just to fag to play with a 7. drop A sound like SHIT pure fucking SHIT Korn would laft on you if they see you dropping your guitar like that

: I just picked up an Ibanez 7-string guitar (rgx720), thought it would be cake to find out how to play the thing. . .had another thing coming. Anybody have any insight on 7-strings playing rock? Any chords? Something? Thanks.

can u send me som pics of the chords ...thanx

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2018 , All Rights Reserved.