Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Gibson Firebird Banjo Tuners

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

after having test driven several brand new and used Firebird guitars I have come to the conclusion that the banjo style tuners are incapable of keeping the strings (especially the "G") in tune. Anybody know of a fix (Gibson or aftermarket) to this unacceptable problem? I want the sound and feel but NOT at the cost of a tuning nightmare.
    p.s. am I the only one amazed that a 000+ guitar won’t stay in tune>?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

: after having test driven several brand new and used Firebird guitars I have come to the conclusion that the banjo style tuners are incapable of keeping the strings (especially the "G") in tune. Anybody know of a fix (Gibson or aftermarket) to this unacceptable problem? I want the sound and feel but NOT at the cost of a tuning nightmare. : p.s. am I the only one amazed that a $2000+ guitar won’t stay in tune>? Mightn’t be the tuners. Check stuff like strings catching in the nut. What gauge strings are you using? Try heavier gauge. I had a similar problem with my old Guild S-100 (I was using 008’s), as soon as I went up to 009-042 it stayed in tune.

Anonymous

I would suggest looking at other factors which affect tuning, and be absolutely sure that the guitar’s intonation is set up properly. I own an original 1963 Firebird I, and it tunes up perfectly, and stays in tune almost indefinitely. Using heavier strings is a great suggestion for any guitar, but any such change will require that the intonation be adjusted. I don’t believe that the banjo-style tuners are a problem. : after having test driven several brand new and used Firebird guitars I have come to the conclusion that the banjo style tuners are incapable of keeping the strings (especially the "G") in tune. Anybody know of a fix (Gibson or aftermarket) to this unacceptable problem? I want the sound and feel but NOT at the cost of a tuning nightmare. : : p.s. am I the only one amazed that a $2000+ guitar won’t stay in tune>? : Mightn’t be the tuners. : Check stuff like strings catching in the nut. : What gauge strings are you using? Try heavier gauge. : I had a similar problem with my old Guild S-100 (I was using 008’s), as soon as I went up to 009-042 it stayed in tune.

Anonymous

: : after having test driven several brand new and used Firebird guitars I have come to the conclusion that the banjo style tuners are incapable of keeping the strings (especially the "G") in tune. Anybody know of a fix (Gibson or aftermarket) to this unacceptable problem? I want the sound and feel but NOT at the cost of a tuning nightmare. : : p.s. am I the only one amazed that a $2000+ guitar won’t stay in tune>? : Mightn’t be the tuners. : Check stuff like strings catching in the nut. : What gauge strings are you using? Try heavier gauge. : I had a similar problem with my old Guild S-100 (I was using 008’s), as soon as I went up to 009-042 it stayed in tune.

Anonymous

: : : after having test driven several brand new and used Firebird guitars I have come to the conclusion that the banjo style tuners are incapable of keeping the strings (especially the "G") in tune. Anybody know of a fix (Gibson or aftermarket) to this unacceptable problem? I want the sound and feel but NOT at the cost of a tuning nightmare. : : : p.s. am I the only one amazed that a $2000+ guitar won’t stay in tune>? : : Mightn’t be the tuners. : : Check stuff like strings catching in the nut. : : What gauge strings are you using? Try heavier gauge. : : I had a similar problem with my old Guild S-100 (I was using 008’s), as soon as I went up to 009-042 it stayed in tune. I got a Firebird about a month ago. I just put on regular slinkys (10-46) hoping that this would help. I’m inclined to agree with you up to a point. It’s possible that I’ll have to lightly file the nut to accomodate slightly heavier strings. I use the same size on my other guitar anyway. I don’t know that it’s the tuning machines. Usually it is some other thing. Anyway, I’m still working on it. If I figure it out, I’ll try and remember to post something. The guitar I’ve got is a ’92 reissue.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.