Gibson Firebird Banjo Tuners

Posted by Ross on Thu, 09/13/01 - 17:36:19.

after having test driven several brand new and used Firebird guitars I have come to the conclusion that the banjo style tuners are incapable of keeping the strings (especially the "G") in tune. Anybody know of a fix (Gibson or aftermarket) to this unacceptable problem? I want the sound and feel but NOT at the cost of a tuning nightmare.
p.s. am I the only one amazed that a $2000+ guitar won't stay in tune>?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Gibson Firebird Banjo Tuners

: after having test driven several brand new and used Firebird guitars I have come to the conclusion that the banjo style tuners are incapable of keeping the strings (especially the "G") in tune. Anybody know of a fix (Gibson or aftermarket) to this unacceptable problem? I want the sound and feel but NOT at the cost of a tuning nightmare.
: p.s. am I the only one amazed that a $2000+ guitar won't stay in tune>?

Mightn't be the tuners.
Check stuff like strings catching in the nut.
What gauge strings are you using? Try heavier gauge.
I had a similar problem with my old Guild S-100 (I was using 008's), as soon as I went up to 009-042 it stayed in tune.

: : after having test driven several brand new and used Firebird guitars I have come to the conclusion that the banjo style tuners are incapable of keeping the strings (especially the "G") in tune. Anybody know of a fix (Gibson or aftermarket) to this unacceptable problem? I want the sound and feel but NOT at the cost of a tuning nightmare.
: : p.s. am I the only one amazed that a $2000+ guitar won't stay in tune>?

: Mightn't be the tuners.
: Check stuff like strings catching in the nut.
: What gauge strings are you using? Try heavier gauge.
: I had a similar problem with my old Guild S-100 (I was using 008's), as soon as I went up to 009-042 it stayed in tune.

: : : after having test driven several brand new and used Firebird guitars I have come to the conclusion that the banjo style tuners are incapable of keeping the strings (especially the "G") in tune. Anybody know of a fix (Gibson or aftermarket) to this unacceptable problem? I want the sound and feel but NOT at the cost of a tuning nightmare.
: : : p.s. am I the only one amazed that a $2000+ guitar won't stay in tune>?

: : Mightn't be the tuners.
: : Check stuff like strings catching in the nut.
: : What gauge strings are you using? Try heavier gauge.
: : I had a similar problem with my old Guild S-100 (I was using 008's), as soon as I went up to 009-042 it stayed in tune.

I got a Firebird about a month ago. I just put on regular slinkys (10-46) hoping that this would help.
I'm inclined to agree with you up to a point. It's possible that I'll have to lightly file the nut to accomodate slightly heavier strings. I use the same size on my other guitar anyway. I don't know that it's the tuning machines. Usually it is some other thing. Anyway, I'm still working on it. If I figure it out, I'll try and remember to post something. The guitar I've got is a '92 reissue.

I would suggest looking at other factors which affect tuning, and be absolutely sure that the guitar's intonation is set up properly. I own an original 1963 Firebird I, and it tunes up perfectly, and stays in tune almost indefinitely. Using heavier strings is a great suggestion for any guitar, but any such change will require that the intonation be adjusted. I don't believe that the banjo-style tuners are a problem. : after having test driven several brand new and used Firebird guitars I have come to the conclusion that the banjo style tuners are incapable of keeping the strings (especially the "G") in tune. Anybody know of a fix (Gibson or aftermarket) to this unacceptable problem? I want the sound and feel but NOT at the cost of a tuning nightmare.
: : p.s. am I the only one amazed that a $2000+ guitar won't stay in tune>?

: Mightn't be the tuners.
: Check stuff like strings catching in the nut.
: What gauge strings are you using? Try heavier gauge.
: I had a similar problem with my old Guild S-100 (I was using 008's), as soon as I went up to 009-042 it stayed in tune.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2018 , All Rights Reserved.