Scalloped Frets

Posted by Victor on Tue, 10/09/01 - 17:36:28.

I saw a guitar featuring "scalloped frets" online today. its 16th thru 22nd frets were all "scalloped"[ie had divets making them seem concave]. has anyone here seen such fretwork on a guitar? is this a common/widely known modification? what are the effects of having such fretwork done on the playability and sound of the instrument? cost? just curious. VIC

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Scalloped Frets

Here is a small list of "factory" scallop jobs on guitars.....
Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster( made in late 80's)
Ibanez Jem (Steve Via model) only the last four frets
Ritchie Blackmoore Stratocaster ( mild scallop)
I've actually played the Blackmoore Strat, it felt like a Fender with Jumbo frets.
Scalloped fretboards make the frets seem larger, thus your fingers don't rub on the board, which makes note bending a true joy.(you can "dig in" more) One can even use some vibrato on barre chords( just squeze the chord harder) . One must also be aware that if you press down on the strings too hard, it will sound sharp or out of tune. I guess you could say, " You have to finesse it".
For more info and reviews go to www.harmonycentral.com
Look up either the Blackmoore model or the Malmsteen one, then you will really get the idea.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.