Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Scalloped Frets

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I saw a guitar featuring "scalloped frets" online today. its 16th thru 22nd frets were all "scalloped"[ie had divets making them seem concave]. has anyone here seen such fretwork on a guitar? is this a common/widely known modification? what are the effects of having such fretwork done on the playability and sound of the instrument? cost? just curious. VIC

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Here is a small list of "factory" scallop jobs on guitars….. Yngwie Malmsteen Stratocaster( made in late 80’s) Ibanez Jem (Steve Via model) only the last four frets Ritchie Blackmoore Stratocaster ( mild scallop) I’ve actually played the Blackmoore Strat, it felt like a Fender with Jumbo frets. Scalloped fretboards make the frets seem larger, thus your fingers don’t rub on the board, which makes note bending a true joy.(you can "dig in" more) One can even use some vibrato on barre chords( just squeze the chord harder) . One must also be aware that if you press down on the strings too hard, it will sound sharp or out of tune. I guess you could say, " You have to finesse it". For more info and reviews go to http://www.harmonycentral.com Look up either the Blackmoore model or the Malmsteen one, then you will really get the idea.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.