Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Takamine EF-340S ????? Any information would be appreciated.

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Hello.
    My brother gave me a Takamine EF-340S electric acoustic guitar. I am curious of what it sold for when it was new, what year it was made and what it’s value is today. Maybe even a little bit about it’s construction.

It does need a repair and I would like to make sure the guitar is worth fixing.

Thanks bunches,
    GIDGG

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I know this is an old post but I wanted to contribute. I bought my Takamine EF-340S in 1979 brand new. I wanted a Martin but the Takamine was within my range. It was almost $1000. I was told they were Hand Made and it sounded great so I got it. You guys are bringing tears to my eyes as I thought it would at least hold some of its value!

Anonymous

Just bought a 340D from 1985 for 500$CDN. it is mint never used had it set up and worth over 1000$ for Japanese Taks. If it has an S after the 340 even better as this means solid top not laminate and sound better. The D is for dark and the C is for cutaway, mine is a D but full body and laminate top. I own a 67 j45 and got this for taking out and plays almost as nice as my old gibby ,but the old girl is worth a lot of scratch and cannot be replaced so the Tak takes the drunken rowdy jam sessions.I would value an ef340s at over 1000$US in good shape.

Anonymous

I recently bought a solid top Japanese made taka. It’s the EF 340 SD C. It’s in really good condition for its age and sounds pretty rich and full. I believe the D stands for dark sunburst but I can’t find any of the same model online to get an idea on how much it is worth. Does the sunburst increase value, where there many sunburst models made? Any info would be great. There is an old Gibson acoustic around the corner and was thinking of selling the takamine so I could buy it. I only paid $200aud for it but have no idea how much it is worth being sunburst. Thanks

Anonymous

Thanks for all the great advice and knowledge. I bought my EF 340 from a couple moving and wanted $25 for the guitar. Didn’t argue with them on the price because I knew something was fishy about this guitars headstock and logo looked just like a Martin. Not sure if they knew what they had, but after finding out some things about this guitar it’s starting to look more and more like it’s worth keeping. Sounds like 25 dollars well spent, also the action is perfect and plays as good if not better than martins and Gibson les Paul customs I’ve owned in the past lmfao.

Anonymous

Thanks for all the great advice and knowledge. I bought my EF 340 from a couple moving and wanted $25 for the guitar. Didn’t argue with them on the price because I knew something was fishy about this guitars headstock and logo looked just like a Martin. Not sure if they knew what they had, but after finding out some things about this guitar it’s starting to look more and more like it’s worth keeping. Sounds like 25 dollars well spent, also the action is perfect and plays as good if not better than martins and Gibson les Paul customs I’ve owned in the past lmfao.

Anonymous

Bonjour, le 1er modèle électro-acoustique de Takamine mis sur le marché en 1979. Palathétic pickup.This is the Takamine EF 340S Acoustic Electric Guitar made in Japan. The guitar features a one piece cedar top with maple sides and back as well as a maple neck with rosewood fretboard and bridge. The body is full thickness throughout for great bass response from chords and lower strings but also sounds amazing playing in a higher registers as well. The amazing thing about this guitar is it’s playability. The action is low and is a dream to play. This guitar is in excellent condition.
      J’en possède une datée du 29 mai 1979 (une des toutes premières). Elle est en excellente état, volume et tonalité fonctionne, étui d’origine parfait état.
      Elle est en vente et je l’ai mise à $2750.
      Cordialement

Anonymous

I bought mine in Sydney Aus for $800+ in 1982. It was the best acoustic elec compared to all the others in the guitar shop. I still use it in gigs. I can’t find any better sounding acoustic guitar/elec for less than $1500. 35yrs & still my best & fav guitar.

Anonymous

I bought my 1979 in 1995 for $300. Absolutely love it. It’s a workhorse guitar. I find the neck to be considerably fatter than the Martin D18 or even the DM which I own as well, it isn’t as loud as a Martin either but it still has a warm smell and a very distinctive smell…I’ve had mine over 20 years and can still smell the wood. If the electronics goes south on you. you’re screwed as Takamine won’t sell you squat for it, it’s like they don’t even want to even acknowledge that they made it, best to just get a Dean Markley Pro Mag pickup. The value on these guitars is increasing mightily these last 10 years or so. Especially if you have a first year ’79. (Law suit). Hold onto it…. it’ll only increase both in tone and value

Anonymous

I bought my ef340s new in 1976 for $350. It’s aged really well and has a great tone. I wouldn’t sell it in any case, but I would imagine its worth well over a grand. I haven’t seen many guitars under $1500 that can compare in tone.

Anonymous

By now I guess you have done something. An interesting thread though. I bought my EF 340S way back in 1980 for $300 second hand from a visiting muso (?? Chapin) in Bermuda. The cost back then was about $500. Great guitar, which mellows with age. I have yet to find a better guitar with tone in the $1000 range. I guitar shop owner once told me I would have to spend $1500 or more to get a similar guitar. Mine is battered to hell and I still do the odd gig with it. The pick up was never great, but I had a modern one installed and it sounds great, either plugged or un-plugged.

Anonymous

I also have this guitar and want to know the worth of it. The electronics don’t work but other than that it is in really good condition.

Anonymous

Hey, I found this page! It seems like years between posts on this thread.
      I own one of these, which I bought in the early eighties USED for $250. I didn’t realize it was still worth something here in 2015.
      My opinion of the EF-340S: I think it’s a very BRIGHT sounding guitar, stands out against others. When amplified, this thing sounds EXCELLENT! But for some reason doesn’t record well with it’s pick-up, sounds much better when mic’d.
      After 30+ years that I’ve owned it, stills sounds great & plays great.

Anonymous

I bought my EF-340s new in 1982/83 for just over $400aus. It’s a great guitar. I too use it in church for worship and also for teaching. It is a quiet guitar but has a beautiful sound. I have the action set quite low so it plays quite easily. I wouldn’t sell it, but wouldn’t accept less than $1000 if I did. My battery holder broke early in it’s life and it was always a bit awkward to access. A couple of years back I had an external access battery holder fitted (much easier).
      Get it fixed/set-up and you should have a nice guitar
      Cheers

Anonymous

I have a 1983 Takamine EF-340S 6 string Electric Acoustic Guitar in great Condition and I would not take less than $1,000.00 for it. I have seen them as low as $695.00, If I were you I would get it fixed and not to mention that your Brother gave it to you. I hope this helps.

Anonymous

Just curious how you came up with the value of $1,000 for the guitar. Thanks

Anonymous

I have purchased a takamine ef349 (year 1982) and trying to change the battery.
      Any help on how to change it. Equilazer cover does not come off, it have to be replaced to from the inside. Cannot see the battery, but i can see the black box. Don’t know how to get it open.

Can u help me please….

Anonymous

The battery on a Takamine (at least my Ef -340S) is located where the neck meets the body.
        It is held in place by a “spring metal clamp”. You have to take the strings off or loosen them alot in order to get your hand inside the guitar. Watch out for the spring it can cut you take the battery out of the clamp and replace. Good Luck!

Anonymous

: Hello. : My brother gave me a Takamine EF-340S electric acoustic guitar. I am curious of what it sold for when it was new, what year it was made and what it’s value is today. Maybe even a little bit about it’s construction. : It does need a repair and I would like to make sure the guitar is worth fixing. : Thanks bunches, : GIDGG I purchased a ef-340s for $200.00 in 1997. My guitar has a date inside indicating it was made March 3 1979. This suggests to me that it was made in Japan which I believe is a plus. My sense is that it is better than a beginners guitar, and probably worth anywhere from $400 – $700. It has a nice tone, it is shy on the volume side, but I use it in services of worship and it works well. I too have had no responces from the Kaman corp., which owns takamine, or from the internet. If you find anything out I would like to know. Jeff, [email protected]

Anonymous

: Hello. : My brother gave me a Takamine EF-340S electric acoustic guitar. I am curious of what it sold for when it was new, what year it was made and what it’s value is today. Maybe even a little bit about it’s construction. : It does need a repair and I would like to make sure the guitar is worth fixing. I too have a ef-340s. i bought it from a local guitar teacher for $200.00. it is in good shape, it has a great sound and plays great. I suspect it’s quality is in the low to mid range world. I too would like to know for sure. If you find anything out email me [email protected] : Thanks bunches, : GIDGG

Anonymous

I purchased one from a pawn shop in Fayetteville, NC in 1999 for $50 & a 4 track recorder trade-in. I later found out that it is as close of a clone of a Martin D-35 as you can get. Just ask the guy’s at Takamine who were sued by Martin to stop production. As for the value, i’ve been offered $500.00 a couple of times.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.